Interview with Johnston on Official Website

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:36 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:01 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:I agree with you 50 years, about going with D.J’s proposals, but I would be dead set against playing on a plastic surface.
Oh goody, you’re pedalling this inaccurate, outdated nonsense again.

Just about every pitch in the EFL has some form of plastic in it, so presumably you have a problem with these as well, do you?

In fact, given the technological advances, simplistically calling them “plastic” isn’t accurate either. The artificial pitches you keep banging on about aren’t like they were in the 80s, which is what you’re trying to make them sound like. They’re far more advanced.

As much as everyone is entitled to an opinion, I’m entitled to point out your repeated droning about artificial pitches is not only tedious, it’s factually incorrect and outdated.
Are 3G/4G pitches allowed in the football league?
They’re not, and that is a legitimate argument against playing on an artificial surface at the Arena. In fact, it’s a major sticking point which makes moving to the Arena specifically almost impossible, as it takes out any chance of progression back to the EFL.

However, having had this argument on multiple occasions with theoriginalfatcat, I know this is not his/her objection. For him/her it’s simply a case of artificial = bad, which I find really simplistic.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vodka_Vic

Re: Interview with Johnston on Official Website

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:01 am

I know it got quite close as to whether 3/4g pitches are allowed in the EFL. One vote was equal and needed a revote, which was then rejected. It only seemed a matter of time before they were voted in. However, I think a year or so ago a major study was carried out into them which showed that microfibres could be bad for players' lungs, so it seems we're further away.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:42 am

DJ has previously stated that two of the big issues over a move to the Arena are having primacy of tenure regarding fixtures and that there are plans for a synthetic surface which as it stands would block playing in the Football League. That's along with the very real doubts about playing in front of 2,000 people in a 25,000 seater stadium. Clearly the other issue is whether such a move would open up huge potential sources of income to offer us a much more prosperous future. Presumably all these issues will be addressed in detail before the club's owners decide where our future lies.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:58 am

As usual with Darlo, it is never straightforward is it. The only straightforward answer is for one of us to win the euro lottery, job done!
Realistically, neither BM or Arena is the answer as we know for all the reasons that have already been put forward. Nothing to do with fan owned or investor model, simply neither ground really suits what we need and probably never will.
Personally, if somehow whether at BM or SV we could get ourselves some land and a pitch which is just ours then I would happily live with either ground for the foreseeable future and slowly develop our own ground even if it takes 10 years +.
AGain, easy to say and difficult to do I know, but would give us our own option once and for all and something tangible to work towards.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:58 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:42 am
DJ has previously stated that two of the big issues over a move to the Arena are having primacy of tenure regarding fixtures and that there are plans for a synthetic surface which as it stands would block playing in the Football League. That's along with the very real doubts about playing in front of 2,000 people in a 25,000 seater stadium. Clearly the other issue is whether such a move would open up huge potential sources of income to offer us a much more prosperous future. Presumably all these issues will be addressed in detail before the club's owners decide where our future lies.
I've heard that Darlington MP have already agreed that we will get priority of fixtures if we move to the Arena. There are examples of clubs playing on artificial pitches & then when they get promoted they change the pitch. It could be 10 years before we are in a position to go back into the league. So playing on an artificial pitch should be seen as an option.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:07 am

Harrogate worked out I think that it was about 300k to revert from 4g to grass, so doable, but DJ is, quite rightly, not the 'Cross that bridge when we come to it' type. He'll want to know if there are options if this scenario does crop up. Imagine if we move to the SV and in 2028 get promotion back to the EFL, but 4g pitches still aren't allowed and they insist that we can't change to grass. This does appear to be the last stumbling block, as I know Craig Morley sees the SV as essential if we want to progress commercially. We can't leave anything to chance.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:23 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:07 am
Harrogate worked out I think that it was about 300k to revert from 4g to grass, so doable, but DJ is, quite rightly, not the 'Cross that bridge when we come to it' type. He'll want to know if there are options if this scenario does crop up. Imagine if we move to the SV and in 2028 get promotion back to the EFL, but 4g pitches still aren't allowed and they insist that we can't change to grass. This does appear to be the last stumbling block, as I know Craig Morley sees the SV as essential if we want to progress commercially. We can't leave anything to chance.
Agreed it's not like we're in the National League & on the verge of being promoted to the FL. I know 300k is a fair amount of money, but I'm sure if we were about to go back into the FL, we could raise that sort of money. I also think that an artificial pitch would suit our style of football.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:24 am

My understanding is that if the SV goes ahead, land has already been agreed for us to build on, but clearly that would take years for us to get the money to get it built up, so decision would be which site can we negotiate the best financial return over the intervening period.

BM has issues if we do get promoted to the national league as standing area is not counted in capacity so a fair bit of capital expenditure required to be raised by us fans in the first year in that league, with no improvement in income commercially unless the rugby club decide on a new viable, (for us), agreement.

As to artificial pitches, I have been to a few, from years ago when we played Oldham and it was shocking as ball bounced 'miles" high on any kick to the most recent at Stenhousemuir which was ok to be honest, although as has been said health issues have been raised.

Also not sure that MP have confirmed they are moving to artificial or if it was just a proposal?

As I have said I am happy to leave it with the people in the know, and will back whatever they propose.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:42 am

If we do have our own plot of land though, as LoidLucan has alluded to, we'd be in direct competition with the facilities at the Arena, unless there is an umbrella organisation and all profits are divided between the various sporting parties with a cut going to the management company.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:12 pm

I like his ambition, but I really wish he would lay off the pie in the sky stuff. We’d be getting 4.5-5k in the league? Would we nowt.

We need to be realistic. I understand how he talks about driving revenue and the ability to generate our own is limited, but it would be at the Arena. A renewed agreement with the rugby club is likely what we need, and a development plan to have a ground that holds 4K, with some financial opportunities, to get us to the conference national, with average crowds over 2,000 (maybe 2,500). That’s my hope for this club as a sustainable entity, and I would like to hear it from club management. Not talk of 4-5k crowds in the football league. Ambition is good, but realism is crucial to the sustainability of the club.

We are a long, long way from the Football league. We don’t get to skip the step above, and the step above is huge and more competitive than ever.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:34 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:55 pm

Obviously the main problem we have is our home, and the dratted Rugby club, who have decided to give us no more than they absolutely have to. I drove past the ground today and it still infuriates me that there is no signage to say that we play there, I mean, why bloody not? And leading on from this I bumped into an old friend by chance in Binn's, he asked me where Darlo play these days :thumbdown: - and he lives in the town, out near the hospital in fact.

The Rugby club need some attitude adjustment therapy.
I was just looking at our official twitter and there are retweeted pictures by Craig Morley from training today. In the background you can see a huge sign saying: "Welcome to Eastbourne Sports Complex. Official training ground for Darlington FC."

They are proud to have the town's biggest sports club based there for training and wanting everyone to know it. What a contrast. It could - and should - be so different in the relationship between the two clubs at BM. I still can't quite get my head around it to be honest and I don't just mean in terms of signage.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:30 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:55 pm

Obviously the main problem we have is our home, and the dratted Rugby club, who have decided to give us no more than they absolutely have to. I drove past the ground today and it still infuriates me that there is no signage to say that we play there, I mean, why bloody not? And leading on from this I bumped into an old friend by chance in Binn's, he asked me where Darlo play these days :thumbdown: - and he lives in the town, out near the hospital in fact.

The Rugby club need some attitude adjustment therapy.
I was just looking at our official twitter and there are retweeted pictures by Craig Morley from training today. In the background you can see a huge sign saying: "Welcome to Eastbourne Sports Complex. Official training ground for Darlington FC."

They are proud to have the town's biggest sports club based there for training and wanting everyone to know it. What a contrast. It could - and should - be so different in the relationship between the two clubs at BM. I still can't quite get my head around it to be honest and I don't just mean in terms of signage.
Cannot in all honesty see Wilkinson and his cronies changing one little bit.Even heard from a good source he would not put some floodlighting on at 5 pm for the covers to go on for the Telford game and had to be done at 3pm therefore restricting the number of volunteers available.Typical of the attitude that prevails towards us at BM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:08 pm

50 years wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:24 am
My understanding is that if the SV goes ahead, land has already been agreed for us to build on, but clearly that would take years for us to get the money to get it built up, so decision would be which site can we negotiate the best financial return over the intervening period.

BM has issues if we do get promoted to the national league as standing area is not counted in capacity so a fair bit of capital expenditure required to be raised by us fans in the first year in that league, with no improvement in income commercially unless the rugby club decide on a new viable, (for us), agreement.

As to artificial pitches, I have been to a few, from years ago when we played Oldham and it was shocking as ball bounced 'miles" high on any kick to the most recent at Stenhousemuir which was ok to be honest, although as has been said health issues have been raised.

Also not sure that MP have confirmed they are moving to artificial or if it was just a proposal?

As I have said I am happy to leave it with the people in the know, and will back whatever they propose.
Not sure where you get your info from but from what I hear when I was at the DMP Xmas party recently no deal has been done for another stadium they are just talking which they have been doing for the last four years. Apparently DFC we’re trying secure a deal but it was the primacy and plastic that made them opt for BM back in 2016 and the fact that the SV hadn’t really evolved.
So in effect we are no further forward than 3/4 years ago except still talking. Also it’s the DFCSG members that have to vote on any move, I do think DJ with a positive business plan could persuade the majority of members to return to the Arena and give us the commercial clout to progress.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:39 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:23 am
I also think that an artificial pitch would suit our style of football.
Are you the same Darlo-Pete that said -

"Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:52 pm
No to 3G, footie was always supposed to be played on grass, end of."

Anyway, there have been a number of threads about this subject for anyone who cares to have a look, one is titled "3g pitch" and another is titled "Re 3G ...A way forward"

Suffice it to say that artificial pitches split opinion amongst the fan base, are in the main unpopular with players and the PFA, and it's not a given that they are the copper bottomed cash cow that some believe they are. Oh, and they can't be used in the football league.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:00 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:39 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Anyway, there have been a number of threads about this subject for anyone who cares to have a look, one is titled "3g pitch" and another is titled "Re 3G ...A way forward"

Suffice it to say that artificial pitches split opinion amongst the fan base, are in the main unpopular with players and the PFA, and it's not a given that they are the copper bottomed cash cow that some believe they are. Oh, and they can't be used in the football league.
That's sad going back over 4.5 yrs to get that quote. I've changed my opinion about artificial pitches, as they have advanced & now present a far more attractive proposition to clubs.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:14 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

This is embarrassing and actually pretty unpleasant too.

People can change their opinions on things as time develops, although you seem determined to cling to the past.

Please provide something to support your claim for “artificial pitches split opinion amongst the fanbase”. I see no evidence of it here. Remember, saying: “I have mates who say the same” is anecdotal and not proof.

Please provide something to support your claim for “artificial pitches are in the main unpopular with players and the PFA” too. Presumably you have surveys and qualitative evidence.

The only point we can agree on is artificial pitches not being allowed in the EFL, but we are a long way from reaching the EFL and all the indications are artificial pitches could, in future, be allowed as further advances are made. Indeed as I’ve pointed out, many EFL pitches are hybrid with an amount of synthetic material combined with natural turf.

Unfortunately I believe your views are based on historical recollections, rather than assessments of the current situation. Genuinely, look into it with an open mind and I believe your mind can be changed, like Darlo_Pete’s was.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:30 pm

I've put up quotes and all sorts on the threads that I've mentioned above, however here is another one for you. Do you have an open mind?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47237204
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:08 pm

the model we could look at is Scarborough - went bust in 2007 and within 10 years now have their own ground paid for by years of fundraising and matched by sponsors and grants.

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:20 pm

The pitches at elite level are a hybrid between grass and artificial costing up to a million pound per pitch.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:38 pm

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:08 pm
the model we could look at is Scarborough - went bust in 2007 and within 10 years now have their own ground paid for by years of fundraising and matched by sponsors and grants.
Been to Scarborough's new ground, they were supported by the council to get back in the town but their new ground was very nice but not sure it was any where near national league standard. Happy for you to prove me wrong with your experience but just my opinion.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:02 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:08 pm
50 years wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:24 am

Not sure where you get your info from but from what I hear when I was at the DMP Xmas party recently no deal has been done for another stadium they are just talking which they have been doing for the last four years. Apparently DFC we’re trying secure a deal but it was the primacy and plastic that made them opt for BM back in 2016 and the fact that the SV hadn’t really evolved.
So in effect we are no further forward than 3/4 years ago except still talking. Also it’s the DFCSG members that have to vote on any move, I do think DJ with a positive business plan could persuade the majority of members to return to the Arena and give us the commercial clout to progress.
In all honesty i thought DMP did not want us there originally, although on one on the pre season friendlies held there when i organised a box there was a lot of conversation I had with people involve with DMP on that floor message was that they would like us to move back there? May be I miss understood.

Your informed sources from recent visit could well be right, but 'heard" several times in the past, and I think once was quoted in a publication that an area was allocated if we moved to the SV , ( clearly was only proposals at the time), Will bow to your more informed information as mine is hearsay and things I have read in the past, which may have been just a proposal.

As you have heard it from DMP officials direct, sounds like they are no better than BM rugby so think i may be changing my mind on any proposed move so thank you for providing more accurate detail.

Still will rely on DJ and the boards direction proposals for the club.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:39 am

50 years wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:38 pm
bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:08 pm
Been to Scarborough's new ground, they were supported by the council to get back in the town but their new ground was very nice but not sure it was any where near national league standard. Happy for you to prove me wrong with your experience but just my opinion.
they went with what they could afford which was sensible but do have the ability to extend as/if/when required for higher progression up the leagues.

Darlo_lad

Post by Darlo_lad » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:42 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:07 pm
When are you allowed to stagnate, if we were bottom half of League 2 would that make everyone happy, I can just see someone who has bankrolled us by say £2m to get to the football league and says they can't do it anymore and all the fans just want them to go so we can still be a progressive club and the next one can fill the money pit.

Our attendances are highly unlikely to keep us competitive in the football league, it's an aspiration to get there which I agree we should have but would I risk the club ownership - probably not.

Of course our attendances would. They are no better or worse than most league 2 sides traditionally and with the right pricing we'd be fine

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:01 am

Darlo_lad wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:42 pm
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:07 pm
When are you allowed to stagnate, if we were bottom half of League 2 would that make everyone happy, I can just see someone who has bankrolled us by say £2m to get to the football league and says they can't do it anymore and all the fans just want them to go so we can still be a progressive club and the next one can fill the money pit.

Our attendances are highly unlikely to keep us competitive in the football league, it's an aspiration to get there which I agree we should have but would I risk the club ownership - probably not.

Of course our attendances would. They are no better or worse than most league 2 sides traditionally and with the right pricing we'd be fine
I agree. They could be 1,500-2,000 but just as easily 3-4,000 if we are doing well - as long as lapsed fans remember how to support their home town club.

You look at clubs like Morecambe and Accrington and the crowds they get, they are full time pro and that's because of all of the league and TV money available to them which you just don't get in the National League. At League 2 level crowds make up a much smaller proportion of revenue than at this level.

The National League is an utter basket case, loads of full time clubs but without the financial help that league clubs get. You need parachute payments from L2 relegation , big crowds, a rich owner, or all 3, to be a force in the National League. One day we will play there but I am skeptical as to whether we can ever get out of it, other than the wrong way - back down to the NLN.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:01 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I've put up quotes and all sorts on the threads that I've mentioned above, however here is another one for you. Do you have an open mind?

Very open thank you, as do most people, apart from you it seems.

Not seeing anything to support the fanbase being split on the issue.

I’ve never disputed that some players dislike it, but then again evidently a lot of them aren’t fussed either.

But you seem entirely unwilling to acknowledge that technologies and times have moved on. Not once have you acknowledged, for instance, that artificial substances are in most pitches, or indeed that 4G pitches are nothing like the 1980s pitches you try and make them out to be.

It’s hard for your argument to have credibility when you won’t even acknowledge anything that’s contrary to your own beliefs.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:18 pm

I think Accrington are a good example as their crowds are only averaging 2,764 in League 1. Their chairman talks of a 2.2 million turnover and in League 2 you get around £430,000 TV money so I think that would be sustainable and decent away followings. The big problems getting out of the National league. Wrexham were decent last season but terrible this one. The grounds also a massive issue but we need some optimism and at least that's been happening on the field!!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:25 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:18 pm
I think Accrington are a good example as their crowds are only averaging 2,764 in League 1. Their chairman talks of a 2.2 million turnover and in League 2 you get around £430,000 TV money so I think that would be sustainable and decent away followings. The big problems getting out of the National league. Wrexham were decent last season but terrible this one. The grounds also a massive issue but we need some optimism and at least that's been happening on the field!!
Accrington are punching well above their weight currently, the chairman knows this. Hence why he is spending the extra cash on revenue generating facilities for future as opposed to spending it all on extra budget.

They signed Colby Bishop from Leamington and Dion Charles from Southport looking for non league bargains, they have a manager who seems to be able to get more for money, if not they would likely be in a relegation battle from league 2 and attendances/finances would drop.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:30 pm

In League 2 Accrington often only scraped 1,000 but they survived. Obviously a good manager helps, but their budget though smaller than everyone else's, was still underpinned by league and TV money enabling them to be full time albeit at a very moderate pay level.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:32 pm

Well, hopefully one day we might punch above our weight!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:37 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:01 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:I've put up quotes and all sorts on the threads that I've mentioned above, however here is another one for you. Do you have an open mind?

Very open thank you, as do most people, apart from you it seems.

Not seeing anything to support the fanbase being split on the issue.

I’ve never disputed that some players dislike it, but then again evidently a lot of them aren’t fussed either.

But you seem entirely unwilling to acknowledge that technologies and times have moved on. Not once have you acknowledged, for instance, that artificial substances are in most pitches, or indeed that 4G pitches are nothing like the 1980s pitches you try and make them out to be.

It’s hard for your argument to have credibility when you won’t even acknowledge anything that’s contrary to your own beliefs.
Of course I acknowledge things other than my own beliefs, you however are very insulting to those that disagree with you. That's why I try to avoid you, and the way you operate, on here.

There are two things going on here re plastic/artificial pitches, call them what you will….

Firstly there is my opinion - which is a personal view and doesn’t need to be backed up by any “evidence”. To me, watching football on a plastic pitch is not enjoyable, and others hold the same opinion as me - here is what Gordon Strachan has to say about this topic.

“Fans like to see players taking opponents on, leaving them on their backside. That’s what they want to see. Exciting individual moments, like game-saving slide tackles, or dramatic diving headers. Things that make the game more engaging.
What you get on plastic pitches is functional football. No defender can go to ground, and it’s not easy for wingers to send a guy the wrong way because of how sticky the surface is. It’s boring. I think people when they turn on the TV and see a plastic pitch, will change the channel and watch the golf, or something else. It’s not entertaining. It’s like watching a non-league game.”

The full article is can be found thus - GORDON STRACHAN: PLAYING ON PLASTIC PITCHES ISN’T FOOTBALL. IT’S EMBARRASSING AND DISAPPOINTING.

Furthermore, on one of the multiple threads on here on this topic I had a count up of people’s views. On that particular thread, forum users who expressed a view were about equally split between for and against. Opinion is divided, that’s how it is.

It’s a nonsense to paint people who don’t like these pitches as old fashioned or stuck in the mud, just because something is new or modern doesn’t necessarily make it good, only an idiot thinks like that, history shows us this throughout all walks of life, but more importantly I would argue that the direction of opinion has started to move against these artificial pitches recently as players and their representatives do not like them, so what is the modern way of thinking anyway? There would be no football without football players so their opinions and welfare should be taken into account.

Some people like them, some people don't - deal with it!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!