Darlington v Gainsborough Trinity FA Trophy

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington v Gainsborough Trinity FA Trophy

Post by poppyfield » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:56 am

Good opportunity for the lads to get Wednesday night out of their system. Hopefully the Bermuda lads are back and raring to go .
Cup run anyone?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlo_Pete

Re: Darlington v Gainsborough Trinity FA Trophy

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:04 am

I agree an ideal opportunity for us to make progress in a competition that we have had much success in recent years. The weather looks horrendous today, so it's bound to affect the crowd. In the run up to Christmas, ST holders & 500 club members will have to pay, plus only a few away fans, means a crowd of under 1000, perhaps as low as 800. Looking forward to the game.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:04 am

poppyfield wrote:Good opportunity for the lads to get Wednesday night out of their system. Hopefully the Bermuda lads are back and raring to go .
Cup run anyone?
Can Thommo get those 2 goals today, must have a great chance to make history

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:14 am

Only 6 games to win in the Trophy and your in the final and then a trip to wembley, just need a bit of luck in the draw each time. £42k in prize money if you win the 6 games and £60k for winning the final plus gate money.

Don't think our team should have any worries about playing any of the teams in this competition as long as they keep the Intensity going, (and no adverse reaction like the Brackley game).

Hope the fans turn up for this game as weather not looking good, think the players do react to the support and atmosphere and this is a potential banana skin today so will need us.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:56 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:04 am
I agree an ideal opportunity for us to make progress in a competition that we have had much success in recent years. The weather looks horrendous today, so it's bound to affect the crowd. In the run up to Christmas, ST holders & 500 club members will have to pay, plus only a few away fans, means a crowd of under 1000, perhaps as low as 800. Looking forward to the game.
Pete " had much success in recent years"? Apart from winning it when have we had thus success?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:24 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:04 am
poppyfield wrote:Good opportunity for the lads to get Wednesday night out of their system. Hopefully the Bermuda lads are back and raring to go .
Cup run anyone?
Can Thommo get those 2 goals today, must have a great chance to make history

I thought it was 1 goal?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:01 pm

Think 1 goal equals the record but 2 would break it.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:18 pm

No Connell or Wheatley this afternoon.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:28 pm

1 up Lambert

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:37 pm

1-1 now

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:49 pm

H-T 1-1

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:54 pm

WON 2-1 WELL DONE

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:13 pm

Halesowen or Atherton at home in next round please.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:20 pm

Did we win a bit more dosh?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:34 pm

I would like Matlock Town

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:36 pm

3,750k for winning. Next round winners get 4,250k with losers getting 1,250k. So even if we lose the next game it's 5k.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:05 pm

Donowa
Looked sharp when he came on and scored a cracker.Surely done enough to justify a run in the team given our lack of firepower up front.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:08 pm

Phew, thank fook for that. Cool finish by Lambert and an excellent goal by Donawa, great pace and a rasping shot. Elliott was solid back in goal but overall some of the lads looked like they were feeling the effects of Wednesday's efforts and Gainsborough never gave up and were quite lively. Still can't quite work out how Tommo didn't score when he went clear on goal near the end. Good to go through after a tricky test.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:09 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:05 pm
Donowa
Looked sharp when he came on and scored a cracker.Surely done enough to justify a run in the team given our lack of firepower up front.
Quite possibly but who you dropping to get him in the team?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:16 pm

That was a struggle against limited opposition. I think the midweek game for us didn't help, but I'm just pleased there isn't a replay. It was far from a classic. I didn't hear the crowd announcement.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:32 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:09 pm
Old Git wrote:
Donowa
Has to be Campbell just not at his best of late and as I have said previously not really sure where he is most effective in the middle or wider.Also he may benefit from a rest as he seems to be looking a little laboured.
Donawa looks a bit raw but I am sure AA can help him develop into a really good player and possibly one that could earn us some decent money in transfer fees in the future.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:36 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:32 pm
Old Git wrote:
Donowa
Has to be Campbell just not at his best of late and as I have said previously not really sure where he is most effective in the middle or wider.Also he may benefit from a rest as he seems to be looking a little laboured.
Donawa looks a bit raw but I am sure AA can help him develop into a really good player and possibly one that could earn us some decent money in transfer fees in the future.
Rivers looks jaded at present however A.A. Said in the post match interview something about liking Donawa as an impact sub.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:01 pm

Old Git wrote:
Donowa
Why do people always say this, as if it is almost ridiculous to suggest that one of the goal shy front 3 should be dropped? The bottom line is we are playing without a single "proper" striker. I'm not saying that Donawa is the answer to the "proper striker" question, but if we are going to try him in that role then someone needs to be rested.

Campbell has the most goals with 7, Thommo and Rivers have a couple each I think, but realistically they are attacking midfelders/wingers so we shouldn't be expecting prolific tallies from them.

If Wheatley struggles to be fit next week - if we stick with the 4-3-3/4-5-1 and 3 centre midfielders, then Bascombe would slot in for Wheatley and who do you drop out of Campbell, Thompson or Rivers to play Donawa (Regardless of whether he is on the wing, or playing as the centre forward)? I think it would just be a case of looking at who would appreciate a match off the most, who looks the most tired, after the cup run.

If Wheatley isn't fit, of course we could go 4-4-2, with just 2 centre midfielders rather than 3 - then you could maybe have Donawa and Campbell as your front two, with Thompson and Rivers wide.

I'm surprised that we didn't give Bascombe and Donawa starts today, to be honest.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:04 pm

Old Git wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Donowa
Think Campbell is working hard and giving everything for the team, he just would be better suited in a two with a big player alongside him, however we are currently playing 3 in midfield although without Wheatley we had Lambert further forward.

He is certainly knocking on the door, if he got picked ahead of someone in the next game then I couldn't argue against it and similar if Wheatley dropped back in and we stuck with what we have currently.

Happy to leave it to AA, he seems to have a plan and I think we are all generally happy with it.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:05 pm

Sounds like there could be fresh legs on the way which will help.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:06 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:36 pm
Old Git wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Donowa
Rivers looks jaded at present however A.A. Said in the post match interview something about liking Donawa as an impact sub.
Donawa is great as an impact sub and AA is (as usual) correct about that. However I think AA, and we, are in danger of pigeon holing JD as just an impact sub. It'd be good to see him get a couple of starts either out wide, or maybe even as a number 9? Worst case scenario and he fucks it up, you simply bring on whoever he replaced as a sub.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:16 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Sounds like there could be fresh legs on the way which will help.
Heard the same from a pretty reliable source.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:48 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:16 pm
That was a struggle against limited opposition. I think the midweek game for us didn't help, but I'm just pleased there isn't a replay. It was far from a classic. I didn't hear the crowd announcement.
Today's official crowd was 770 not a bad effort on an awful day weather wise.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:52 pm

Just been reading about the Gainsborough Trinity manager, Curtis Woodhouse, who as well as being a former professional footballer also later turned to boxing and won the British Light Welterweight title. He won 22 of his 29 pro fights, 13 by knock-out. Fortunately none of our fans hurled any abuse his way :wtf: . Actually he was very fair in his post-match assessment and his side pushed us all the way.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:16 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Just been reading about the Gainsborough Trinity manager, Curtis Woodhouse, who as well as being a former professional footballer also later turned to boxing and won the British Light Welterweight title. He won 22 of his 29 pro fights, 13 by knock-out. Fortunately none of our fans hurled any abuse his way :wtf: . Actually he was very fair in his post-match assessment and his side pushed

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk