Darlington V Walsall Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Walsall Match Thread

Post by AndyPark » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:55 pm

GBH wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:38 pm
I agree Thomson was disappointing
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:26 am

Watched it with a few friends who were getting behind us in spite of not knowing what was going on.

I thought we gave a good account of ourselves. Hatfield was my MOTM, but Liddle had a good game also. Campbell can't lead the line like. We miss O'Neil massively.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:28 am

Thompson was "disappointing"...playing out of position, won and kept about 75% of balls to him when outnumbered, battled against 4 full time football league defenders for 90 minutes, beat centre halves twice his size in the air at times, some lovely touches, turns and link ups...disappointing!? No chance!

Hatfield was superb again, absolute machine that lad. What a giant of a signing he's been. Really proud of the lads tonight and over the moon for this cup run. So many great memories, we had an incredible FA Cup moment that went viral and have netted some legit prize money as well as decent cash from gates. Buzzing. On to the rest of the season and setting ourselves up for a stormer next season! Things are looking very good for DFC!

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:14 am

We were a Tyrone O'Neill/striker short of an upset. Matched them all game and despite their additional possession in the 2nd half, didn't trouble us except the goal.

I hope to see Tyrone getting some minutes for Boro soon, otherwise the recall looks completely bizarre.

For us, we desperately need a striker. Easier said than done and inevitably we will probably have to wait until January for Gary Martin. Can imagine how frustrating it is for AA, as it looks like we really have potential to be a very good side.
Craig Liddle is God!!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:16 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:36 pm
For me Hatfield was MOTM ahead of Thommo. Fitness told in the end & lack of options on the bench also came home to roost.
Agreed. If we could only clone Will & have them on the bench...

Stage was set for Thommo to step up & break the 100 goals mark in front of the TV cameras, but he just did not get the breaks.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:50 am

What a brilliant night! Couldn't get there so a gang of us watched it on BT. Great to see the ground full and it looked the part on tv. Criticism of Thommo is unfair, the commentators were impressed and he was excellent. The whole team put in a fantastic effort and apart from one good set play they were lucky to win. We're missing five top players and we still matched them. It made me smile when their sub wearing number 30 came on....if only! Well done lads, a great journey and proud of your efforts and OUR club.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:52 am

darlo_baron wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:14 am
We were a Tyrone O'Neill/striker short of an upset. Matched them all game and despite their additional possession in the 2nd half, didn't trouble us except the goal.
I believe with the exception of the first 15 minutes we had more possession.

From memory after about 20 minutes it was c 58/42 in Walsall favour.

By half time it was still in their favour but by full time it was 52/48 in our favour.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:56 am

The extra floodlighting brought in by BT made a massive difference & made the ground look more than reasonable.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:56 am

Other telling stat was shots Darlo 4 Walsall 1 but theirs was on target :(

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:09 am

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:52 am
darlo_baron wrote:
I believe with the exception of the first 15 minutes we had more possession.

From memory after about 20 minutes it was c 58/42 in Walsall favour.

By half time it was still in their favour but by full time it was 52/48 in our favour.
Fair play then. Thought we were better team, just lacking a cutting edge.
Craig Liddle is God!!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:11 am

jjljks wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:56 am
Other telling stat was shots Darlo 4 Walsall 1 but theirs was on target :(
That stat is for shots on target. As other have said we more than matched them. Just a striker away from taking advantage. Lots to be proud of.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:23 am

As AA said before the game, the players could put themselves in the shop window with this game. Liddle, Thompson and Hatfield were singled out by the commentators as being excellent. Galbraith got a few good mentions, Rivers was mentioned as being able to beat players but just lacking the final delivery and Holness was mentioned for being able to sit in and allow Hatfield to bomb on.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:44 am

You weren't there andy, Thompson put a good shift in, all the players were very good not one should be singled out after a performance which i thought we were the better team, walsall were long ball all game, I came away disappointed with the result but very happy with our whole team performance. Onwards and upwards with DFC. Yes i know you might have watched it on tv which makes your comments more unfathomable.
Last edited by onewayup on Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:47 am

darlo_baron wrote:

I hope to see Tyrone getting some minutes for Boro soon, otherwise the recall looks completely bizarre.

For us, we desperately need a striker. Easier said than done and inevitably we will probably have to wait until January for Gary Martin. Can imagine how frustrating it is for AA, as it looks like we really have potential to be a very good side.
Tyrone O’Neill was there at the game watching with some of his mates, fair play to him for coming along to see how we got on, pretty sure he would of loved to be playing last night.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:14 am

Pretty fair assessment from the ex-Poolie......

https://twitter.com/WFCOfficial/status/ ... 4029450245

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:20 am

I thought all of our players made a good account of themselves, we just need a bigger hold up striker to link play. The fact we could only make one substitution, which was a roll of the dice move of putting a big defender upfront in the hope of winning a few knock-downs, shows our current limitations. We simply lacked the depth of squad needed to compete with a full time team and in the end, fitness and drilling paid off for Walsall. I don't think they had any stand out players other than their number 25 who we seemed to contain better than we did in the first leg.

Overall a great night for the club, we didn't disgrace ourselves on the pitch and, bar a few kids running around at the end, I think it all went well off the pitch too. Hopefully a few new fans added.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:24 am

Darlo Dodger wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:50 pm
I was not disappointed with anyone in a Darlo shirt tonight but if I had to pick one player as the most outstanding performer tonight it would be Michael Liddle. He is a class act at full back.
Agree.Liddle was poor at Curzon but has grown into the position with us now.Hes fearless.

Cant fault one player, just needed the final ball.

Hatfield must need a zimmer frame this morning.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:28 am

He's like the Duracell bunny! Incredible energy and stamina, box to box constantly. Big, big addition to the team.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:00 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:28 am
He's like the Duracell bunny! Incredible energy and stamina, box to box constantly. Big, big addition to the team.
Be amazed if someone higher up the leagues does not come in for him.

Hope not but money talks

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:10 am

Let's hope he's happy with his life and part-time suits him and work?

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:21 am

Proud of the whole team, everyone put in a shift :clap: .
Liddle was outstanding I thought with some brilliant passes and tackling, but so was Thommo and Hatfield. Laing I think is a good centre half but when he came on looked a little lost as a centre forward, understandably so in an unusual position and little game time lately.

A great game to watch, and the former Poolie manager of Walsall should be phoning Woodgate up and thanking him personnaly for taking O'Neil back a couple of days before the first leg. I believe with O'Neil we would have had a great chance of winning either of those games.

Played the better football over the two games, and the guys need to hold their heads high.

Now on to the Trophy this Saturday, and who knows another trip to Wembley😁

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:33 am

The main thing the club and management need to do from this point is carry on the momentum. It was lost after the first season in the NLN and Gray's departure and stagnated during Wright's reign.

A new manager in Armstrong who has a set way, a clearer tactical plan and the luck of a decent cup run (or 2) have the potential to reignite this. The two matches Vs Walsall have provided the evidence that the interest is still very much there but we need to harness this. Infrastructure and maintaining a level like last night is the big big challenge, but IF we can get this right then at least the next level is achievable.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:45 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:10 am
Let's hope he's happy with his life and part-time suits him and work?
I don't know how long out of FT football he actually is - Guiseley were pro when they were relegated so at most it's 18months.

He seems to have landed in recruitment so it just depends where the offer comes from but it would potentially have to out pay his current job + what he gets for playing for us.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:46 am

It was a great effort, I really enjoyed it and our players did not look out of their depth at all. I thought that Walsall played a good game - they just got on with it, without taking any risks and they never made a single mistake. They made it incredibly hard for us to do anything of note, so what we needed was a big of F.A.Cup luck/magic, but that never happened.

The clock is a pain. There we were live on T.V. - getting beamed across the globe to billions of people and the Rugby Club clock says the completely wrong time, as per normal. It works but it is always wrong. Not an hour wrong either way but completely wrong, as per normal. Why don't they just put the hands to 12 O'clock and turn the bloody thing off? Or brick it up...
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:47 am

Hatfield is absolutely brilliant, I’d say he’s the best midfielder we’ve had since 2012, never stops running. Can’t wait for him to get his first goal, have a feeling it’s coming on Saturday.

Should be way higher up the leagues, let’s keep that quiet though!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:52 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:46 am
The clock is a pain. There we were live on T.V. - getting beamed across the globe to billions of people and the Rugby Club clock says the completely wrong time, as per normal. It works but it is always wrong. Not an hour wrong either way but completely wrong, as per normal. Why don't they just put the hands to 12 O'clock and turn the bloody thing off? Or brick it up...
Like really in the grand scheme of things it didn't really matter did it.

There was a helpful little score in the corner of the TV screen which said how long had been played. Nobody was relying on the clubhouse clock.

It got a mention but I doubt anyone paid much attention to it.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:56 am

GBH wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:38 pm
I agree Thomson was disappointing
What game were you watching? Thomo bullied both the center backs all night long. If he had someone up front to play to it may have been different.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:29 am

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:52 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

There was a helpful little score in the corner of the TV screen which said how long had been played. Nobody was relying on the clubhouse clock.

Of all the unimportant things - it's the most important. ;)
Last edited by theoriginalfatcat on Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:34 am

lo36789 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Not at all important in the grand scheme of things but one or two of my mates in the north west definitely paid attention and let me know about it with comments such as
“Can’t you lot tell the time in Darlington “ and “ Don’t you know how clocks work in Darlington “ came my way

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:35 am

lo36789 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

He didn't suggest it was confusing viewers, the point is that it looks shoddy and even merited a close up on BT Sport. It seems most of the world is able to set a clock correctly except the Rugby Club. As someone said "If you take care of the small things, the big things take care of themselves"