Sold out?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlobaz791
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sold out?

Post by darlobaz791 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:00 pm

dfc4me wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:26 pm
DFCAnth wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:05 am
The 192 online tickets were gone by 1 minute past 10!
Can’t help but worry this has been one person intending to sell on at a profit. Hopefully someone will check the validity of the purchase if so.
Already seen someone on Twitter attempting to resell at a large profit. It boils my bones.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:00 pm

LoidLucan wrote:This amazing response and the fantastic travelling army on Saturday show that there is no other sporting club in this area or anywhere in County Durham that has the potential to draw such major support that Darlington FC has despite all that has been thrown at us.
What about The Pride up the road Lucan, they may challenge your statement.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:11 pm

darlobaz791 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:00 pm
dfc4me wrote:
DFCAnth wrote:
Can’t help but worry this has been one person intending to sell on at a profit. Hopefully someone will check the validity of the purchase if so.
Already seen someone on Twitter attempting to resell at a large profit. It boils my bones.
To be fair DFCSG members have had priority tickets to this game and always will as that is part of your membership.

It is actually quite pleasing to know that none of the fan owners of the club have been unable to acquire a ticket at the advertised price.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:13 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:This amazing response and the fantastic travelling army on Saturday show that there is no other sporting club in this area or anywhere in County Durham that has the potential to draw such major support that Darlington FC has despite all that has been thrown at us.
What about The Pride up the road Lucan, they may challenge your statement.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Just because they keep saying it at every opportunity doesn't make it true :D

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:23 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:11 pm
darlobaz791 wrote:
dfc4me wrote:
DFCAnth wrote:
To be fair DFCSG members have had priority tickets to this game and always will as that is part of your membership.

It is actually quite pleasing to know that none of the fan owners of the club have been unable to acquire a ticket at the advertised price.
The club have done a great job of ensuring almost all regulars were able to get their tickets sorted. But its bang out of order for some little rats to be buying tickets for the sole purpose of ripping people off who genuinely wanted them. Needs stamping out.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:24 pm

Great to see we still have a decent size latent fanbase out there - shame we can't accommodate more of it when we do get the oppourtinity (and that I'm going to have to turn up at 6.15 on the day to get a reasonable view :lol: ) but it is what it is at the moment. Hopefully this can be the spark that means a few more start turning up on a more regular basis

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Absolutely fantastic news tin shed will be rocking and the balcony too! This is what the Tv cameras want, a tight close knit ground, fans peering over the fence(rugby club get some boxes for fans to stand on and get a few more quid) necks of players at throwins can feel the fans breath , kids pushing to see, silver foil cups, old farts like me with a tear in their eye wishing we were back in the league. Bloody fantastic Cant wait to chant we are the pride of county durham to the evenwood united fans

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:42 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:40 pm
a tight close knit ground
We moved it from Blackwell then? :lol:

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:38 pm

darlobaz791 wrote:
dfc4me wrote:
DFCAnth wrote:
He’s absolutely had people’s pants down with that tweet.

The lad hasn’t sold any of his tickets, he’s on the wind up and clearly got a load of bites.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:43 pm

And you know that to be correct Andy because???????

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:53 pm

It’s clear as day.

The lad follows Darlo home and away, there’s not a chance he would sell his tickets.

He and like every other fan has been waiting for a game like this since 2012. Mental how everyone jumped on his back.

Anyways, hope we can all enjoy the game. Whether we are in the ground or not :D #UpTheDarlo

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:04 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:53 pm
It’s clear as day.

The lad follows Darlo home and away, there’s not a chance he would sell his tickets.

He and like every other fan has been waiting for a game like this since 2012. Mental how everyone jumped on his back.

Anyways, hope we can all enjoy the game. Whether we are in the ground or not :D #UpTheDarlo
The lad hasn’t been to an away game for three years. Hardly follows them home and away. He might not have sold his tickets but to say he has some for sale was not a clever act let alone it being an illegal act.

DARLO333

Post by DARLO333 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:11 pm

darlobaz791 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:04 pm
AndyPark wrote:
It’s clear as day.

The lad hasn’t been to an away game for three years. Hardly follows them home and away. He might not have sold his tickets but to say he has some for sale was not a clever act let alone it being an illegal act.
How would you have a clue where he goes and when ? You absolute tool :lol:

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:56 pm

This really is a non story it’s not like it’s the Champions League Final. It’s all probably a wind up anyway and at the end of the day it’s on the TV. Great to see a full house, if we win I doubt there will be any complaints, lose badly I can here the criticisms of sight lines already, oh to back at the Arena hopefully next season and then we can accommodate all.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:36 pm

darlobaz791 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:04 pm
AndyPark wrote:
It’s clear as day.

Put your dummy back in.

Over the last year, I’ve seen him at plenty of home and away games.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:01 pm

I may have a spare ticket & I only want £12 for it!!!!!!!!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:47 am

Walsall have sold 58 tickets of their 323 allocation so far. Maybe a few more will be bought at their game tomorrow but looks very much like some returns will be on their way back to us.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:49 am

150 max I reckon Lucan

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:03 am

If the rolls were reversed & we faced a replay down there which was live on TV, I'm certain that we would take more than 150 down there. I know they are going through a rough spell of form, but for a Football League side there support is pretty poor at the moment.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:37 am

Their support is actually very good. Last season when they were relegated from League One they averaged nearly 5,000 fans at home. This season, despite struggling badly and growing unrest among the fans. they have averaged 4,500 at home. That's very good so I wouldn't be too critical if they return tickets for a midweek cup match at a non-league club that's three hours away and being shown live on TV.

I don't think we would have hit those kind of attendances in their position. They're a proper traditional League club with decent support despite hitting hard times on the pitch.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:22 pm

It's not a big game for them though. That's just the reality. Yes, we'd still take a few hundred there on a midweek. It's a huge game for us. For them, they're in this round of the cup annually, and we're non league, part time opposition. That's just it.

It's a long way to go for a midweek game, that isn't that big for them, and is now on the telly. If i was a Walsall fan, i'm not sure i'd fancy it. They'll bring some diehards of course, but yeah. 150-200.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:37 pm

We would kill for crowds of 4,500 at home games. (Granted we haven't got the facilities to cope with that at this stage)

If we had that amount of interest from the town, a town of a population of around 110,000, we would not be playing as a part time club in division six. So much emphasis is placed on away followings but I'd happily swap reduced away followings for much increased home gates, as this would enable us to push ourselves onto the next level.

Our current average of 1500 isn't going to take us much further than eventually the league above. Taking loads away doesn't make any difference to our resources (unless it is a big following at a cup game), so whilst it is great that we take plenty away to support the team, it make almost zero difference to our finances and therefore our ability to grow and progress as a club.

This cup replay is a massive game for us, but I don't genuinely think it is for them, as their main priority is to ensure they retain their Football League status this season, as they are genuinely in with a chance of going down to the National League. Hence why they haven't sold many. Its a three hour journey, it's on TV, it's in midweek and most will likely have work the next day, our ground is rubbish and they have bigger fish to fry moving forward.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:39 pm

Yeah I can't see any appeal in this game for them whatsoever - a long journey in midweek in winter, to stand on flat, uncovered concrete, for a game against a side two divisions below which is on tv anyway, and the best case scenario for them is they avoid being embarrassed? I'll be surprised if more than a handful turn up with that combination!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Gow9900 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:37 pm
We would kill for crowds of 4,500 at home games. (Granted we haven't got the facilities to cope with that at this stage)

If we had that amount of interest from the town, a town of a population of around 110,000, we would not be playing as a part time club in division six. So much emphasis is placed on away followings but I'd happily swap reduced away followings for much increased home gates, as this would enable us to push ourselves onto the next level.

Our current average of 1500 isn't going to take us much further than eventually the league above. Taking loads away doesn't make any difference to our resources (unless it is a big following at a cup game), so whilst it is great that we take plenty away to support the team, it make almost zero difference to our finances and therefore our ability to grow and progress as a club.

This cup replay is a massive game for us, but I don't genuinely think it is for them, as their main priority is to ensure they retain their Football League status this season, as they are genuinely in with a chance of going down to the National League. Hence why they haven't sold many. Its a three hour journey, it's on TV, it's in midweek and most will likely have work the next day, our ground is rubbish and they have bigger fish to fry moving forward.
I'd kill for half of that as our average home crowd right now. Rome wasn't built in a day. It's not gonna happen while the ground is so limited though. Another stand at the empty end, and facilities for it, and the place will feel like a proper ground. Right now, it's just so open still. We need to get people coming back regularly, and that means for games like Walsall they have to have a good time.

Whats happening on the pitch is going to help though, i'm sure. We're good to watch right now, and that too makes a difference. I think we're on the right path. I hope we use some of the money from this run to start working on a terrace for the open end. If it's movable in future like the current stands, so much the better.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:35 pm

H1987 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:23 pm
Gow9900 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:37 pm

I'd kill for half of that as our average home crowd right now. Rome wasn't built in a day. It's not gonna happen while the ground is so limited though. Another stand at the empty end, and facilities for it, and the place will feel like a proper ground. Right now, it's just so open still. We need to get people coming back regularly, and that means for games like Walsall they have to have a good time.

Whats happening on the pitch is going to help though, i'm sure. We're good to watch right now, and that too makes a difference. I think we're on the right path. I hope we use some of the money from this run to start working on a terrace for the open end. If it's movable in future like the current stands, so much the better.
I think the club has made it quite clear that there will be no more money spent on developing Blackwell Meadows until such time as a decision can be made concerning the Sporting Village. Surely this is sensible.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:37 pm

Even if we could average 2,500 that would give us so much more scope to move up the pyramid and generate more income for infrastructure etc etc. My opinion is that it is two things that hinder us:

1. The level we play at.
2. Blackwell Meadows

I'd imagine we will be hearing something regarding the sports village moving forward, until which we won't be spending any money on Blackwell.

I'd also imagine that if the water pipe that will cost an insane amount of money to move (even if our landlords let us) were moved, and the relationship with our landlord improves then putting in a new stand would be an option, but putting up temporary stands is riddled with short term-ism and as club we need to be thinking bigger than putting up movable temporary stands. I believe we cannot put anything over the water pipe temporary or permanent. This club has a lot of potential as demonstrated by the demand for these cup replay tickets. There are numerous clubs from Premier League down that represent towns that are of a similar size/smaller population than Darlington, so hopefully in the future with us having a better facility the potential can be realised.

But I'm fully aware it all comes down to money, and the lack of it. We have to make the most of the limited resource we have, and look for long term options that will enable us to get to a higher level rather then spending money short term that longer term could end up being a waste.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:50 pm

Gow9900 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:37 pm
There are numerous clubs from Premier League down that represent towns that are of a similar size/smaller population than Darlington, so hopefully in the future with us having a better facility the potential can be realised.
10,000 would do us. It's very rare that attendances have been higher - and I can't see this changing.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:03 am
If the rolls were reversed & we faced a replay down there which was live on TV, I'm certain that we would take more than 150 down there. I know they are going through a rough spell of form, but for a Football League side there support is pretty poor at the moment.
Pete, you have to take into account the number of higher league clubs close to Walsall and the fact the area is a hive of non league clubs as well. Within less than a 10 mile radius they have enough sides to fill 2 leagues all with crowds from 100 to just under 1000 and others as well.