2nd Round

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DARLODAH
Team Supported: Darlington

2nd Round

Post by DARLODAH » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:19 pm

Oxford (H)

grytters

Re: 2nd Round

Post by grytters » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:20 pm

So.

Lose replay on penalties.
Bring Back the Quarters

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:22 pm

4th in League One. Might well be picked as a Sunday fixture, if we get through

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:24 pm

Meh. Not that much to look forward to let's just enjoy the replay now...

If we had a hugely winnable or big tie on the horizon it would feel like we have lost out.

Its 4th in League One but not a particularly "fashionable" side which would spark much other interest.

Maldon & Tiptree will surely be the Friday night game based on that draw.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:25 pm

Good chance of being on tv if we get a good win with them going well

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:44 pm

lo36789 wrote:Meh. Not that much to look forward to let's just enjoy the replay now...

If we had a hugely winnable or big tie on the horizon it would feel like we have lost out.

Its 4th in League One but not a particularly "fashionable" side which would spark much other interest.

Maldon & Tiptree will surely be the Friday night game based on that draw.
“Not that much to look forward to”, are you serious.If we get past Walsall of course it is a big game, ok they are 4th but only beat Hayes & Yeading 2-0.It gives us a massive incentive to reach the 3rd round and get amongst the big boys so cannot understand your comment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:54 pm

I just can't see Oxford being that inspirational a game - we are going to do well to beat an off form team in league two never mind a form team in league one.

It will be great if we get there - my point is more that it feels like there isn't as much a weight as their could have been from the replay. As a result can just simply enjoy the game rather than worrying about "what could have been"

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:04 pm

I don't believe this -. let your heart rule your head if we best Walsall we can give Oxford a game and stop going on about the Tele Quakers stand for better values.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:10 pm

Tbh it is what it says can just enjoy the ride...

I predicated Walsall as being a great opportunity to get a draw and have a televised replay on the day the draw came out last time.

This time I predict that Oxford will just be an incredibly difficult game and as a club they just don't have the same prestige as some of the big names (Sunderland, Coventry, Portsmouth and Ipswich).

It's not that I don't want us to win and it's still not enjoyable I just feel I can enjoy it for what it is and not what it could be now.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:31 pm

We’ve spent years playing non-league opposition, so the playing league teams competitively for the first time in nearly a decade is definitely something to look forward to.

I get the point that sides like Walsall and Oxford aren’t the most glamorous, but then again outside of a handful of ex-PL clubs, Leagues One and Two aren’t massively glamorous anyway.

This FA Cup run is a great bonus and turning into a real money-spinner too. Let’s just enjoy the ride.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:45 pm

I’m happy with the draw. IF we get through it will be a good test, an interesting game and a day I will very much look forward to.

lo is like Eeyore
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:50 pm

I think you are missing my tone completely...I'm really positive especially about next Wednesday it is really rare that you can go into a game just wanting to enjoy the occasion and we will have had two in quick succession.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:31 pm
We’ve spent years playing non-league opposition, so the playing league teams competitively for the first time in nearly a decade is definitely something to look forward to.

I get the point that sides like Walsall and Oxford aren’t the most glamorous, but then again outside of a handful of ex-PL clubs, Leagues One and Two aren’t massively glamorous anyway.

This FA Cup run is a great bonus and turning into a real money-spinner too. Let’s just enjoy the ride.
Quite a few people were pretty lukewarm about Walsall after the draw came out and just look how that turned out....one of the greatest days ever.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:33 pm

Seems a decent enough draw to me.

If and it's a big if we get past Walsall, it will be a nice game to look forward to.

We have already achieved more than I even expected, so just happy to let the lads do for a free hit on BT Sport and see what happens.

It's created a fantastic buzz about the club and generated some good funds, which hopefully ensures we don't need to be borrowing money or extending 500 clubs towards the end of this season. We must be making a profit across this year, or for me we are doing something wrong.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:39 pm

One game at a time lads let's not get ahead of ourselfs,
It's the biggest cup we have upto now for me all these games are different for different reasons, both of them are winnable i believe A A will give our club the best chance of getting the required result. Walsall first. One game at a time .

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:49 pm

Can't believe some of the negativity on here! They're a football league team, and a good one at that. I'd give my right nut to be playing teams like Oxford regularly.

Ok, obviously, we all would've wanted one of the 'big' names in League one (Ipswich, Cov, Sunderland Pompey) but we've got a home draw, *if* (and that's a big if) we can best Walsall. The chances of getting one of those four (and obviously you'd want Pools if the chance arose also) were always slim. Just as it was always a slim chance we'd get an easy tie like Kingstonian.

Games against Walsall and Oxford sound like a pretty big deal to me. You never know, if we see off Walsall in an entertaining manner, we could have a shot at being one of the four TV games in Round 2. Totally disagree with not going on about the tele by the way - it's a huge opportunity for some absolutely vital income - we are a fan owned club and we need every penny right now - we're right to talk about it after years of us chucking change in buckets and donating!

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Brilliant draw.

IF we can get past Walsall I dont see how it cant be on TV.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:42 pm

lo36789 wrote:I think you are missing my tone completely...I'm really positive especially about next Wednesday it is really rare that you can go into a game just wanting to enjoy the occasion and we will have had two in quick succession.
Forgive me but you said: “Meh, not that much to look forward to.”

I’m not missing anything. I think it is something to look forward to, given it’s been nearly a decade since we had this level of opposition competitively.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:56 am

We are not there yet. I just know I am not going to feel like we blew a massive opportunity if we don't end up playing Oxford.

Meh is a term of indifference - I'll enjoy it if it happens but if it doesn't then so be it.

Generally when you are looking forward it is something you are emotionally investing in to the point where if it didn't come to pass you would be gutted...frankly that is not how I feel about Oxford as a prospect.

And by definition I am not looking forward to something which is undecided - had it been a glamour tie or a potentially route to the third round then you start prematurely looking forward to what could be.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:06 am

Let's beat Walsall first. They will not be so easy to shock this time and we will not have a full squad to pick from. Oxford United are in better fettle than Walsall. As we will be on BT Sport for replay, cannot see too many of their fans making the trip. Fans need to be aware that tickets are limited and priority will be given to season ticket holders & Supporters Group members. Supporters Group welcome new members at any time.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:33 am

jjljks wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:06 am
Let's beat Walsall first. They will not be so easy to shock this time and we will not have a full squad to pick from. Oxford United are in better fettle than Walsall. As we will be on BT Sport for replay, cannot see too many of their fans making the trip. Fans need to be aware that tickets are limited and priority will be given to season ticket holders & Supporters Group members. Supporters Group welcome new members at any time.
The game is NOT all ticket.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:34 am

Emdubya wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:33 am
jjljks wrote:
Yes but only because demand is unknown and no tickets have been sold yet. Should all tickets be sold it will be.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:44 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:34 am
Emdubya wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Yes but only because demand is unknown and no tickets have been sold yet. Should all tickets be sold it will be.
Tickets will be available before the game,but I will say it again.The game is NOT all ticket.Read the club website.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:48 am

If it sells well though the club will make it all ticket, that is the current stance.

So if you want to go, get your ticket confirmed.

Hospitality is already sold out I believe.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:51 am

The match is not all-ticket but do not expect to turn up at the turnstiles 5 minutes before KO and get in.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:59 am

Emdubya wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:44 am
lo36789 wrote:
Emdubya wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Tickets will be available before the game,but I will say it again.The game is NOT all ticket.Read the club website.
Ok turn up and pay on the day if that is your preference - but I would advise anyone who genuinely wants to go to but in advance. Ultimately we have a ground capacity so if all the tickets are sold to that capacity then you won't be getting in at the turnstile.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:50 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:59 am
Emdubya wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:44 am
lo36789 wrote:
Emdubya wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Ok turn up and pay on the day if that is your preference - but I would advise anyone who genuinely wants to go to but in advance. Ultimately we have a ground capacity so if all the tickets are sold to that capacity then you won't be getting in at the turnstile.
It was made clear at the DFCSG AGM last night that the match will effectively become all-ticket because of the expected demand. So there are no benefits in not buying a ticket in advance either for the individual or DFC. Fans will be given ample opportunity to buy in advance at Quaker Retail and on-line.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:37 am

lo36789 wrote: Generally when you are looking forward it is something you are emotionally investing in to the point where if it didn't come to pass you would be gutted...frankly that is not how I feel about Oxford as a prospect.
No it isn’t. It may be your definition but it’s not everyone else’s. From the reaction, we can see quite a lot of people are also excited to a potential game with strong League One opposition.

You do this quite a lot - take your interpretation of something and state it as definitive. See the quote above. You’ve taken your worldview and stated it as everyone else’s too. Hence the “generally speaking” when actually, there’s no generally speaking about it. And just because it isn’t set in stone doesn’t mean you can’t be excited.

Like I say, the fact we haven’t played EFL sides competitively in nearly a decade means I think we should be grateful for these opportunities. We don’t know when it’ll happen again so to me saying “Meh, not much to look forward to” comes across as quite arrogant actually.

I’d look forward to a tie against Oxford more than a league game against Alfreton, for example because it doesn’t happen as often, and who knows when it’ll happen again.

I’d be disappointed if we didn’t make round two. Gutted wouldn’t be the phrase I’d use. You make it sound like if you’re looking forward to something, you go through extreme emotions, which isn’t the case. I’d certainly see it as a missed opportunity however.

If you’re not looking forward to it that’s up to you and I don’t mind, although I disagree with you. But what I’m contesting is your narrow, generalised definition of what constitutes “looking forward” to a game.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:42 pm
Forgive me but you said: “Meh, not that much to look forward to.”

I’m not missing anything. I think it is something to look forward to, given it’s been nearly a decade since we had this level of opposition competitively.
Ah sorry - my response was to being referred to as Eeyore (i.e down beat / negative)...I was actually just justifying why I didn't really mean that in an overtly negative way and actually it's more than I am just going to enjoy watching us on BT Sport for what it is win or lose.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:05 pm

Okay Lo, I've got your gist - I quite like Eeyoye in any case.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!