BT Sport...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: BT Sport...

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:32 am

en passant wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:03 am
It may be a dumb question but where does the £33,000+ figure come from? I can remember seeing a post elsewhere that suggested that getting on TV would be worth £67,000, so I assume that the 33,000 figure is a split of that, but I don't know if the 67,000 is reliable, and the same for all TV companies, and is it certain that the money is split down the middle between the two competing teams? I ask partly because when I was listening to the Harrogate game last night the commentators were talking of the prospects of getting through (this was before they went 2-1 down) and getting on TV, and they seemed to think that they would get all the TV money. I also reasoned that if the gate money is only split after the cost of putting the game on is deducted, then splitting the TV money down the middle would seem to benefit the away side more who do not have the trouble of accommodating the cameras and crews and any additional cost that this might incur.
Not sure I follow that? All costs are deducted and then what is left over is split with 10% of gate proceeds going to the FA (I think?). If there are costs incurred from hosting then that would be deducted first as it would be a cost of hosting the game. I am not sure I can see that being the case the television will be pretty self supporting - we might offer up some cups of tea but that is just courtesy.

Warrington got about £70k when their tie against Exeter was broadcast. I think the understanding is that replays are c. 50% of the television money - which would work out about right.

Home sides will always gain as any commercial proceeds won't be split (ie. club shop sales, bar sales, hospitality etc.).

I wonder if we will consider paying the stewards (who are usually volunteers) for the replay, since the cost is effectively shared with Walsall (you never know...some might donate it back...)

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:39 am

Magical Quakers wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:26 am
There are several reports out there that confirm the figure, including the Northern Echo.

I can find this one from last year on the FA website:

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/nov/12/f ... ort-121118

The TV companies only pay half the fee for replays. No idea what the logic of that is though.

So if the first game had been on TV we would have got the £67.5k.

Both teams get the same amount regardless of being home or away.
Thanks for that. Actually I also did a bit of investigating on this point, and seem to have found the same site you did (and I know I should have done this before my initial post!). And yes, I don't quite get the logic of only offering half the fee for a replayed game. But the site we have both seen is from 2018-19 season and the quoted prize money on there is considerably less than for the current year. I wonder if there has also been an upgrade in the TV rights money as well. Does anyone know?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:52 am

Upgrade in TV money for initial picks to £75k but replays for this round didn’t change from £33,750 by all accounts. That’s from this years FA handbook to clubs.

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:57 am

That's a bit annoying.

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:02 am

Got to remember that £36k is up for grabs for winning the tie too!

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:04 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:52 am
Upgrade in TV money for initial picks to £75k but replays for this round didn’t change from £33,750 by all accounts. That’s from this years FA handbook to clubs.
That certainly is annoying. Haven't the TV companies heard of the rising cost of everything due to Brexit. :D

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:11 am

Magical Quakers wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:02 am
Got to remember that £36k is up for grabs for winning the tie too!
That is certainly true, but as has been said on another thread, Walsall won't be as surprised by our play a second time, and the evidence of Saturday's game suggests that they will have a different set up for the replay. We will also be a few bodies short due to the international call ups, so whilst we have home advantage I think it will be a very tough game to win. Not impossible, but we will have to hope for a few more misses from their forwards and hope that Cams and Thommo bring their shooting boots.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:12 am

en passant wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:04 am
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:52 am
That certainly is annoying. Haven't the TV companies heard of the rising cost of everything due to Brexit. :D
Haha, just the way it is I guess.

I didn't expect us to get this far never mind get on TV, so not going to whinge about any of this. It's not something the club accounted for and will really set us up for next season and massively takes the pressure of the football club and those dealing with the finances.

We all want a club that isn't constantly borrowing and having to extend 500 club or take loans out from fans etc. For me it's now up to those in charge to make sure that's the case this season and sets us up in a very positive position for next season.
Last edited by super_les_mcjannet on Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:41 am

Yep, the whole cup run has been, what Del Boy would have termed, a "nice little earner". And I think that a good portion of the money should be held over to prevent us running into the cash flow problems of last year, which led to having to part company with Styche. If it doesn't get used for this purpose then it will provide a useful boost for next year to fulfil the expectations of this being a building year to allow next year to be a more genuine push for promotion. The way things have gone so far have panned out pretty much the way we could have hoped for. AA has got the team into a respectably safe position in the league and has produced a significant extra income from the cup. Any further advancement in either the FA Cup or the Trophy will be a bonus on top of a bonus and very welcome. But as we are, as yet, in no fit state to think about actually getting promoted, then it follows that spending it all in the current year in trying to get a playoff berth would be imprudent.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:46 am

en passant wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:03 am
It may be a dumb question but where does the £33,000+ figure come from? I can remember seeing a post elsewhere that suggested that getting on TV would be worth £67,000, so I assume that the 33,000 figure is a split of that, but I don't know if the 67,000 is reliable, and the same for all TV companies, and is it certain that the money is split down the middle between the two competing teams? I ask partly because when I was listening to the Harrogate game last night the commentators were talking of the prospects of getting through (this was before they went 2-1 down) and getting on TV, and they seemed to think that they would get all the TV money. I also reasoned that if the gate money is only split after the cost of putting the game on is deducted, then splitting the TV money down the middle would seem to benefit the away side more who do not have the trouble of accommodating the cameras and crews and any additional cost that this might incur.
TV money is not to cover costs, its the deal that was struck with the FA. Clubs want paying for giving their product away for free. People might stay at home and watch on TV rather than coming to the ground. As gates are shared in the FA Cup this means both the home and away team would miss out.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:08 am

Let the club worry about what to do with the money I know AA & DJ will not do anything reckless and look towards building for next season. A 3000+ crowd for BM would be great along with winning prize money and a 1500+ crowd hopefully for FA Trophy tie. Two months ago it was doom and gloom got to say AA and the players have turned it around and got us national spotlight. My work colleagues here in Manchester now taking an interest in the Quakers, absolutely loving it

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Mister e wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:35 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:21 pm
Darlo_H wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:20 pm
£33,750 in the bank from the TV rights.
Wonder how long it will take for the spenders to get rid of it !!!!
Come on Mr ed Johns people are waiting for an answer explain your comments. In my opinion the club is now ran by the most honest people during the course of my life time.
Read the comments between my comment and yours... "Oh we have 10 bob in the bank, lets sign a few players"
We need to build an infrastructure that will last. Not spend every penny as soon as it is in our pockets.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:48 pm

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:12 am

I didn't expect us to get this far never mind get on TV, so not going to whinge about any of this. It's not something the club accounted for and will really set us up for next season and massively takes the pressure of the football club and those dealing with the finances.

We all want a club that isn't constantly borrowing and having to extend 500 club or take loans out from fans etc. For me it's now up to those in charge to make sure that's the case this season and sets us up in a very positive position for next season.
I agree with this sentiment. Its not the most glamorous way to spend the money but if we could remove or limit further the 500 club extensions that is a massive milestone for me.

Setting and operating a budget season to season without having to pull revenue forward is a real sign of sustainability for me.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:03 pm

As this match is on tv it will also mean some darlo fans who might have decided to come may just stay at home and watch it

tezza

Post by tezza » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:18 pm

darlo reborn wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:03 pm
As this match is on tv it will also mean some darlo fans who might have decided to come may just stay at home and watch it
Surely not ....

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:36 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:48 pm

I agree with this sentiment. Its not the most glamorous way to spend the money but if we could remove or limit further the 500 club extensions that is a massive milestone for me.

Setting and operating a budget season to season without having to pull revenue forward is a real sign of sustainability for me.
I am 500 club member, I haven’t extended mine , so this is the last season for me in that, so next year I’ll be back to getting a yearly season ticket.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:36 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:48 pm

I am 500 club member, I haven’t extended mine , so this is the last season for me in that, so next year I’ll be back to getting a yearly season ticket.
Me too

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:48 am

Thanks to the 500 members for helping to get us started. This cup run will help to make us self-sustaining if we invest in our future & not splurge on mercenaries. Ok we may need a couple of emergency signings to shore up a stretched squad, but I would trust AA to do the right thing.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:19 am

jjljks wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:48 am
Thanks to the 500 members for helping to get us started. This cup run will help to make us self-sustaining if we invest in our future & not splurge on mercenaries. Ok we may need a couple of emergency signings to shore up a stretched squad, but I would trust AA to do the right thing.
Marty would already spent the lot and a bit more

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:57 pm

The interview ad board has arrived!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B40Ds2mH4gm ... jjqy6u91u9