The last time we won 4 matches in the F A Cup.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DARLODAH
Team Supported: Darlington

The last time we won 4 matches in the F A Cup.

Post by DARLODAH » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: The last time we won 4 matches in the F A Cup.

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:23 pm

Thanks for that - immortal stuff, the pathe film makes it look real end to end and it's nice to see clips of our gallant fans. Jimmy Greaves who played in the drawn game at Stamford Bridge, covers this match well in his auto.biography. My Father and most of my uncles were at the game and they all rated Ron Harbertson so Walsall watch out, the ghost of Harbertson hovers.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:14 pm

Nostalgia is ok for us oldies, but even I cannot remember Feethams without the Tin Shed, although I did see a number of games where the pitch was like a ploughed field, but a win in extra time....🤔

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:45 am

jjljks wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:14 pm
Nostalgia is ok for us oldies, but even I cannot remember Feethams without the Tin Shed, although I did see a number of games where the pitch was like a ploughed field, but a win in extra time....🤔
In that case you ain't "1 of us oldies" Regular as clockwork early season as soon as the half time whistle blew everyone on the top row turned 180 and watched the cricket, (or some times hockey).

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:50 am

I used to like watching the girls playing hockey on the walk round to the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:39 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:45 am
jjljks wrote:
In that case you ain't "1 of us oldies" Regular as clockwork early season as soon as the half time whistle blew everyone on the top row turned 180 and watched the cricket, (or some times hockey).
Was that instead of walking to the polar end to watch the 2nd half?

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:04 pm

:shock:
Comfortably_numb wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:39 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
jjljks wrote:
[/quo
I know it used to be a bit parky at Feethams every now and again but I think polar is overdoing it a bit :shock:

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:11 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:04 pm
Comfortably_numb wrote:
EDJOHNS wrote:
jjljks wrote:
[/quo
I know it used to be a bit parky at Feethams every now and again but I think polar is overdoing it a bit :shock:
Nice 1.

Actually going from end to end was not done so much in the 50's, partly I assume because we had larger crowds and the cold end had a decent crowd anyway. You could not just walk in and pick a spot as you could from the mid 70's on. I think part was also that people were more communicative back then and would happily stand and chat about the first half in groups.

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:46 pm

Was in dodmire school for the replay . I think every class radio was switched and as the goals went in the whole school was cheering

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:34 pm

Wiseacre wrote:Thanks for that - immortal stuff, the pathe film makes it look real end to end and it's nice to see clips of our gallant fans. Jimmy Greaves who played in the drawn game at Stamford Bridge, covers this match well in his auto.biography. My Father and most of my uncles were at the game and they all rated Ron Harbertson so Walsall watch out, the ghost of Harbertson hovers.
Ron Harbertson was some player Adam, only a few of us including Vic would have had the pleasure of seeing him play.Up there alongside Currie and Gabbers IMO .
Brilliant player.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:39 pm

swadquaker wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:46 pm
Was in dodmire school for the replay . I think every class radio was switched and as the goals went in the whole school was cheering
I also remember that at Dodmire, and I guess that is what first started a lifetime of following Darlo. Been downhill ever since that game really.
Also remember that headmaster Willans, fucking sadist. Had a unique way of caning, which I have to say was often. He'd miss you outstretched hand on the down stroke and then hit the back of your knuckles on the up stroke. b******.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:41 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:34 pm
Wiseacre wrote:Thanks for that - immortal stuff, the pathe film makes it look real end to end and it's nice to see clips of our gallant fans. Jimmy Greaves who played in the drawn game at Stamford Bridge, covers this match well in his auto.biography. My Father and most of my uncles were at the game and they all rated Ron Harbertson so Walsall watch out, the ghost of Harbertson hovers.
Ron Harbertson was some player Adam, only a few of us including Vic would have had the pleasure of seeing him play.Up there alongside Currie and Gabbers IMO .
Brilliant player.

You think Currie was as good as that?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:49 pm

banktopp wrote:
swadquaker wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:46 pm
I also remember that at Dodmire, and I guess that is what first started a lifetime of following Darlo. Been downhill ever since that game really.
Also remember that headmaster Willans, fucking sadist. Had a unique way of caning, which I have to say was often. He'd miss you outstretched hand on the down stroke and then hit the back of your knuckles on the up stroke. b******.
We were told not to even think of skipping school for that game, anyway I did and the next day our teacher called "killer Clark" collared me, chalked a dot on the blackboard and made me stand for 30 mins looking at it about 3 inches away.Every time I turned round he slapped me on the head which hit the blackboard.So were the days, would not happen today.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:50 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Brilliant player.

Currie was pretty good mind.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:52 pm

Currie was pretty good but Gary McDonald often caught my eye in that team and hes Cup thread quality on account of the Boro games.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:17 pm

That the same killer Clark as was at Albert road school then.a right b******.tough as old boots he was.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:25 pm

onewayup wrote:That the same killer Clark as was at Albert road school then.a right b******.tough as old boots he was.
That’s the one, little bloke with glasses but by god you didn’t cross him.Hard as nails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:04 pm

Part of the reason for half-time movement was due to arrival of pies & need for pint or hot Bovril from the room behind the west stand, above the kennels.

Who knew David Currie's middle name was Norman?

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:45 am

Emdubya wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:04 pm
Comfortably_numb wrote:
EDJOHNS wrote:
jjljks wrote:
[/quo
Lol

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:50 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:50 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Brilliant player.

Currie was pretty good? Christ he was sensational. Way more silky at going past players than a more robust Gabbers. And could ping them into the top corner from 25 yards - either foot. Sold for £250k back in the 80’s. Way way better than Garry MacDonald (who was a good player and foul for Currie).

en passant

Post by en passant » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:11 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:50 am
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:50 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Brilliant player.

Currie was pretty good? Christ he was sensational. Way more silky at going past players than a more robust Gabbers. And could ping them into the top corner from 25 yards - either foot. Sold for £250k back in the 80’s. Way way better than Garry MacDonald (who was a good player and foul for Currie).
I lived in Peterborough in 1987 and went to the Darlo match at London Road in September that year. Darlo won the game with two Currie goals. I was stood in the Peterborough end so had good sight of the first goal in which he cut in from the right wing, glided by a couple of defenders and curled a shot inside the far post. It was such a good strike that the whole stand I was in applauded, which, for once, meant I could celebrate a goal without worrying about being amongst the opposition supporters.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:22 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:50 am
Agree completely about Currie, he was levels above. He just scored goals out of nothing. The season when we sold him (87/88 I think) there was some proper quality in Division 4 - not only did we have David Currie, but Steve Bull was playing for Wolves, and David Platt for Crewe. Platt was sold to Aston Villa and played for England, and can anybody remember that Steve Bull was so good that he was capped by England as a 3rd division player!

As for Garry MacDonald, he was my favourite player before we signed Currie. He was a proper bustling centre forward who struck up a great partnership with Carl Airey when we were in Divsion 3 and beating teams like Wolves, Derby, Swansea (6-0!), Reading, Bolton etc. Think that was the 85/86 season. Unfortunately he picked up a serious knee injury near the end of that season and was never the same player. So the MacDonald who paired with Currie a couple of years later was good, but not as good as he might have been.