O'Neill recalled

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

O'Neill recalled

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:02 pm

Just had a tweet notification...Middlesbrough have used their recall clause to pull him back. Given he already played for us in the FA Cup this season bit of a pain that they couldn't have left him with us for the Walsall game.

H1987

Re: O'Neill recalled

Post by H1987 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:10 pm

What a nightmare. We can only hope their injuries ease and they allow him to return (potentially for longer than originally planned).

Time for Campbell to put up and prove he can be the main man. We've no one else. Thommo or Donowa to step up, and Campbell to lead the line it is.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:14 pm

Massive blow although great for Ty if Woodgate (who is on the brink and feeling the pressure) does give him his chance.

Kalu

Post by Kalu » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:17 pm

Massive blow for us, but it's great for the lad.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:24 pm

Donawa to start for me,why recall now with the biggest game for us coming up for a long time as he's cup tied makes sense to let him play for us at least another couple of weeks.
We will see just how we operate without him, shame he won't be getting the chance to go any further in the cup.but that's football.
Last edited by onewayup on Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:24 pm

Backing us at 15/2 earlier today feels a lot more optimistic now!
Craig Liddle is God!!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:56 pm

The keeper situation plus this huge setback to the way we attack has dented our chances, no doubt about it. But I expect Thommo to come in fit, fired up and raring to go.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:58 pm

onewayup wrote:Donawa to start for me,why recall now with the biggest game for us coming up for a long time as he's cup tied makes sense to let him play for us at least another couple of weeks.
Boro have an injury crisis so he’s needed for cover. He’s their player so they can do what they like. The fact we’re playing in the cup isn’t relevant at all to Boro if they need cover for the league this weekend.

It’s bad for us but we’ve just got to deal with it. We’ve recalled players because of injury problems in the past, so no sense in twisting on about it
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:10 pm

This is also not the Boro of old with stacks of first-team options waiting in the wings. In the past a couple of striker injuries probably wouldn't have led to the recall of an untried Academy lad playing four divisions lower down the pyramid. However, things are different at the Riverside now and Gibson is no longer chucking loads of money at trying to attain the Premier League dream. But good luck to Ty, he's done a great job for us and we've clearly helped his progress immensely.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:17 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:10 pm
This is also not the Boro of old with stacks of first-team options waiting in the wings. In the past a couple of striker injuries probably wouldn't have led to the recall of an untried Academy lad playing four divisions lower down the pyramid. However, things are different at the Riverside now and Gibson is no longer chucking loads of money at trying to attain the Premier League dream. But good luck to Ty, he's done a great job for us and we've clearly helped his progress immensely.
Let’s see if he gets any time on the pitch for them....

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Donowa for me as well, but I have a feeling it might be Thommo. Either way, they are great options to have, the issue of course is that Campbell doesn't lead the line in the way O'Neil can.

Really hope the best for O'Neil at Boro on a personal level, hope he actually sees some game time... if not, hopefully we can have him back. Think Woodgate is definitely on borrowed time, their squad is way way better than how they're doing.

en passant

Post by en passant » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:39 pm

This feels like the Andrew Nelson effect all over again. The lad starts scoring for us, gets his profile raised, and off he goes. As other said then and now, it's great for the lads themselves but leaves us with a hole to fill. We do have more cover in the squad now, but O'Neill has a rather particular skill set that it is hard to replicate from those who may come in to replace him. And it was clear from what happened when we played York without TO'N that we looked OK up to the box, but lacked the cutting edge to get a goal. The cup magic might still make up for this but I can't imagine that the positivity in the team's approach to this game hasn't been tarnished by this news.
On the up side, however, is that a cup game is something of a free hit, and AA has a week and a half to try and get another loan deal done (budget permitting).

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:54 pm

Its frustrating but if he is being recalled to play then you can't complain at all that is the purpose of the loan.

I hadn't appreciated that Boro were that badly affected by injuries at the moment but the timing is ultimately annoying for us.

I hope he gets his opportunity and thrives - whilst it would be beneficial to us if he came back I don't want him to - I hope he takes his chance and we simply become a part of his development.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Gramps, not twisting as you say ,just saying bad timing from boro yes he's there player and yes they can call him back i don't like the timing of the recall that's all there is to it. He's need due to injury crisis end of.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:11 pm

onewayup wrote:Gramps, not twisting as you say ,just saying bad timing from boro yes he's there player and yes they can call him back i don't like the timing of the recall that's all there is to it. He's need due to injury crisis end of.
None of us do, but like I say it’s tough luck. We’ve done it to other clubs in the past. Boro have injuries so I appreciate why they’ve done it.

It’s happened so we move on.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:19 pm

We definitely need another forward in for next Saturday because both Bascome and Donawa will be off on international duty. Either that or we try and convert someone else into a striker, Lainge maybe, it worked for Harrogate a few years ago with Ainge.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Having seen the pigs ear assombolonga made of an absolute sitter at derby county last Saturday maybe woodgate will put Tyrone straight into the first team after all he is playing with confidence. My Boro supporting friend has told me on a few occasions that their strike force has been appalling this season.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:51 pm

The atmosphere at Boro is probably not the best for the introduction of a young player. Woodgate has already pleaded with fans not to boo the players after individuals have been singled out for stick as the side struggled. Unfortunately the Riverside has been somewhat toxic this season. Hopefully though, if O'Neill gets his chance, they'll be fully behind "one of their own" as he tries to make the step up.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:21 pm

Huge blow but I don’t think it’s worth getting any replacement until after Saturday. Campbell needs to step up as he has been playing wide left lately and Thommo should just slot straight in.
Our biggest strength lately has been our defence so hopefully we can get the Connell deal sorted.
I think it’s also worth a punt with Donowa at some point, the lad has a decent shot on him and I think he can do a job up there. I’m sure Alun will have targets in mind to replace Tyrone, unfortunately due to Boro’s form he has been recalled otherwise we would have had him for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlo_lad

Post by Darlo_lad » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:12 pm

We can't complain we've had a good run with a borrowed player that's papered over the cracks. Good luck to the lad.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:41 pm

Darlo_lad wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:12 pm
We can't complain we've had a good run with a borrowed player that's papered over the cracks.
Cock.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:42 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlo_lad wrote:
We can't complain we've had a good run with a borrowed player that's papered over the cracks.
Cock.
We’ve long since established he’s not actually a Darlo fan. It’s a Spenny or Poolie fan on the wind up so I wouldn’t worry.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:50 am

Darlo_lad wrote:
We can't complain we've had a good run with a borrowed player that's papered over the cracks. Good luck to the lad.
Lol

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:09 am

dfc4me wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:19 pm
We definitely need another forward in for next Saturday because both Bascome and Donawa will be off on international duty. Either that or we try and convert someone else into a striker, Lainge maybe, it worked for Harrogate a few years ago with Ainge.
Are the Bermuda boys away & missing the Walsall game? Think they could be away later in the month but are here for next Saturday. Agree we are short on forwards (literally) but cannot see us getting in a big target man quickly at this stage who is any good.
Where is another loanee like Nelson?
Last edited by jjljks on Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:12 am

jjljks wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:09 am
dfc4me wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:19 pm
Are the Bermuda boys away & missing the Walsall game?
No , but I think they are next Saturday

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:24 am

Thanks, Darlopartisan. That is what i thought

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:34 am

That’s what I said. Next Saturday as opposed to Walsall which is this Saturday.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:36 am

Donowa could be a decent shout up top. He's surprisingly good in the air as well. Didn't realise the Bermuda boys were away next week. That's a bit of a kick in the nuts.

By the way, the week after Brackley, am i right that is FA Trophy week?

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:49 am

H1987 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:36 am
By the way, the week after Brackley, am i right that is FA Trophy week?
Yep. 2Q is this week so I presume the 3Q draw will be made on Monday.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:46 pm

Have we ever been in two cup draws on the same day before?