Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:53 pm

Who’s starting one off then?
It looked like a farewell from him tonight but I hope not! Pulled off another world class save at the end!

Also Storey has been immense since coming in to the team so hopefully we’ll get him on a contract before someone else does!
Last edited by Darlo_CR on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vodka_Vic

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:05 pm

It's his last game unless we extend the loan, which we might do. I would have thought the FA Cup money might let us sign him, but depends if he's still in contract.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:07 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:05 pm
It's his last game unless we extend the loan, which we might do. I would have thought the FA Cup money might let us sign him, but depends if he's still in contract.
He’s out of contract at the end of the season so hopefully South Shields will be open to a deal.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:26 pm

He wants to stay and so does AA want him to so no reason why not.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:29 pm

He’s just tweeted: “ Just like to take this chance to thank everyone associated with @Official_Darlo all the lads, fans and management. Absolutely loved my loan time there and want to stay but this situation isn't in my hands. Hopefully something changes. Thanks again”

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:31 pm

South Shields must have raised an objection or asked silly money. Hope not as they don't need it. Could also just mean that it hasn't been sorted yet.
Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:35 pm

Heard South Shields are wanting more than we're willing to pay.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:37 pm

Greedy bastards. They don't need it. Also, if we win at Walsall we will be able to afford it. What's wrong with another month's loan, then if we do win SS will get what they want.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:50 pm

We don't really know anything yet, do we? Wait and see time.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:59 pm

He is truly integral to the success of our season. Look at our results with and without him...

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:55 am

He said he told Shields on Sunday he wants to stay at Darlo so they hold the aces I'm afraid

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:05 am

Absolutely spot on. Our back four know there is someone behind them sorting out issues and commanding the box. He has produced some really great saves to protect points & keep clean sheets. In the mould of other GKs who went on to better things. Crucial to our season so lets dip deep into our pockets, look down the back of sofa & get AA some cash.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:32 am

If we do, it sadly sets a precedent for other teams to be greedy

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:42 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:32 am
This, I'm afraid.

Certainly want Connell to stay but we shouldn't be looking to be held to ransom for a player with 7 months left on his contract. Unfortunately, just sets a precedent for other clubs to inflate prices because the fans would fund it. Think Alun played his PMI well. Made it sound like we're doing all we can, respectful of South Sheilds rights, but at the same time putting the pressure on them letting the world know he wants to stay here. Waiting game now.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:21 am

JE93 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:32 am
This, I'm afraid.

Certainly want Connell to stay but we shouldn't be looking to be held to ransom for a player with 7 months left on his contract. Unfortunately, just sets a precedent for other clubs to inflate prices because the fans would fund it. Think Alun played his PMI well. Made it sound like we're doing all we can, respectful of South Sheilds rights, but at the same time putting the pressure on them letting the world know he wants to stay here. Waiting game now.
Agree completely. As much as he has improved us, we cannot be spending over the odds to get him, particularly when we already have a senior keeper here.

If we were desperate to go up or in the midst of a relegation battle then that’s a different scenario. But we’re not and we shouldn’t be held to ransom over him, especially as I say, when we already have Elliot.

I don’t think Elliot has done that badly to be honest but I do agree Connell has been very good.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:35 am

Over the last few games we have looked so solid at the back, due to the way the defence have been playing, with Connell giving them confidence, with his saves & his command of the penalty area. But we shouldn't be held to ransom by South Shields.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:02 am

South Shields could easily do us a favour and let him come and get regular game time seeing as they have another 2 keepers.Didnt they take 4 of our players not that long ago?Short memories, one good turn deserves another surely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:32 am

It's not like we just gave them our players from the goodness of our hearts, though, they don't exactly owe us a favour. We gave them our players because A) we couldn't afford them any more, and B) Tommy Wright wanted to bring in his own crap. Only turnbull seemed to go when we didn't have to let him, but I got the sense that he saw the writing on the wall with Tw and wanted out.

Anyway, one goal conceded in four games, all of which we won, plus a penalty save, plus brilliant saves that kept us in the lead in every game he's played suggest to me that connell is an important part of our good run, but we can't be held to ransom.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:55 am

It's now a tricky situation for Shields going forward. The background to all of this is that before this season Connell had been their regular and popular keep since signing in 2016 and had kept 56 clean sheets in 140 appearances. But this season they opted to bring in a 21-year-old keeper from Blackpool on a season-long loan and Blackpool made it clear it was so he got game time. So Connell hasn't played for them this season even though he has done nothing wrong and felt he had a good pre-season. He asked Shields, who have three keepers, to go out on loan because he doesn't want to spend the season doing nothing. Now we know he wants to stay with us rather than return to Shields.

Shields clearly can just recall him and leave him on the sidelines for the season but I can't imagine it's in their interests to force an unhappy player to sit out a season like this, particularly when they have other options that they seem to favour. Connell is enjoying his football again, wants to stay here and it doesn't look like his future lies with Shields. They will do what's best for South Shields but hopefully this can be resolved in everyone's interests in a reasonable way.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:35 am

Perhaps we can extend the loan in the short term, if they are open to that, and then negotiate something more permanent down the line. It makes more sense than them having an unhappy player on their bench.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:10 am

In some ways, I think you can argue keeping O’Neill is more important than keeping Connell, as O’Neill offers something different for us going forward.

Ideal world would be to keep both but I’d rather we kept O’Neill.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:39 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:10 am
In some ways, I think you can argue keeping O’Neill is more important than keeping Connell, as O’Neill offers something different for us going forward.

Ideal world would be to keep both but I’d rather we kept O’Neill.
O'Neill is absolutely integral to how we are now playing. Of course O'Neill being the spearhead has pushed Campbell back to being a wide player, and he joined Darlo to be a centre forward. Still, mustn't grumble, 6 in a row can't be bad.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:59 pm

Wasn’t Turnbull under contract but we agreed to cancel his contract and let him leave for nothing?
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:05 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:59 pm
Wasn’t Turnbull under contract but we agreed to cancel his contract and let him leave for nothing?
No. We got a decent fee from Shields for Turnbull, who didn’t want to leave but Wright was happy for him to go to Shields so that made his mind up.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:05 pm

agree with a few, we can't do a boost the budget for everytime we want a player. Clubs get wind of it, it would scupper every deal the board/AA do in the future as they'd always want more £££.

Not sure I understand why SS need him. He'll be on a decent wage and he's not playing. A club at that level surely can't afford 2 senior keepers. Unless the chairman is happy to pick up the tab, but what's the actual point

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:09 pm

Interesting that Foley has just quit Shields due to work commitments. 66 goals in 132 appearances, big loss for them.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:23 pm

Usually if a player wants to leave a club will do the right thing by him/her. Liam's interview was very good because he stressed how much he wanted to be part of Darlington's plans without being disrespectful to Shields. Can't see what harm at least an extension of the loan spell would do to both parties.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:43 pm

Sheilds dont owe us anything. They've bought our players in the past and they would only have been sold if they offered an amount that matched our valuation of the player. I expect nothing else from them.

Everyone knows their financial situation. They dont need the cash. The owner is willing to fund losses whilst also investing heavily in infrastructure. Looks like in the year to June 2018 he took a £250k loss on the chin. A PT wage to the end of the season wont matter to him.

We shouldn't be held to ransom. If we dont think Elliott is of the quality we need or can get then we should look elsewhere, could we potentially bring in Jake Turner from Newcastle for a few months? Or someone of that ilk. We need Connell to continue to make his feelings known to Sheilds, hold strong on our current valuation and prove we're willing to look elsewhere. Then what will happen will happen. Will only get worse with any progress through the FA cup and additional fans funding. If they think you've got cash on the hip they'll be more than willing to take your eyes out.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:59 pm

I doubt Shields wage bill has been changed much as Blackpool will probably be paying their lads wage.
If it is true he has to play as part of the deal then Shields have 2 simple options. (1), send him back to Blackpool and reinstate Connell. (2), Loan Connell out for the rest of this season and find a new 1 for next year if he refuses to sign a new contract. The third option of recall and have an unsettled player sat on the bench will just cause unrest in their squad as we have seen ourselves.
If they play hard ball and say they want a fee for him what do we go to at this level for a player out of contract in a few months? £1000? £5,000? 10 million?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:12 pm

Connell is highly unlikely to play for Shields again, the management/club don't want him at Shields and he doesn't want to be there - who would if you weren't wanted.

His contract runs out at the end of the season, it's just a question of when & how he leaves. The problem we have is that they don't need the money to create budget space in their squad, so they can sit tight and turn the screw on Darlo (knowing us the supporters will help them in this by pushing the club to announce his signing).

I think we have to sit tight and try to get a better deal for the club. What do people think is a reasonable fee to pay for him?