Darlington V Kidderminster

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Kidderminster

Post by H1987 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:12 pm

We're on a nice run now. Looking forward to the highlights. Sounds like Connell needs to be here longer term. I feel a little bad for Elliott, but i've also never been fully convinced by him either.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:00 am

Hard fought win tonight. We missed a couple of chances before we scored. I’ve no idea how the goal was allowed because although their defenders head was slightly down, O’Neills foot was high and he kicked him in the nose which resulted in him being substituted. Bit of luck for once for us, but I would have been furious if it had been at the other end.

I know the second half was tough, but apart from his wonder save at the end O’Connell didn’t have mant more shots to save. Rivers got MOM for his first half performance, but I thought Tez was brilliant tonight.

Final point, I know O’Connell is getting the plaudits for our upturn in form and rightly so, but since Wheatley has come back we’ve been a different team. With him slotting in as our defensive midfielder, he’s making the same impact as Atkinson seemed to do for Blyth last year.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:53 am

Darlo_Rob wrote:Hard fought win tonight. We missed a couple of chances before we scored. I’ve no idea how the goal was allowed because although their defenders head was slightly down, O’Neills foot was high and he kicked him in the nose which resulted in him being substituted. Bit of luck for once for us, but I would have been furious if it had been at the other end.

I know the second half was tough, but apart from his wonder save at the end O’Connell didn’t have mant more shots to save. Rivers got MOM for his first half performance, but I thought Tez was brilliant tonight.

Final point, I know O’Connell is getting the plaudits for our upturn in form and rightly so, but since Wheatley has come back we’ve been a different team. With him slotting in as our defensive midfielder, he’s making the same impact as Atkinson seemed to do for Blyth last year.
Totally agree about Wheats playing really well at the moment, Credit to him and AA

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:14 am

Decent team performance all round with every player doing their bit to keep a clean sheet. Nicely worked goal, just a shame we could not have nicked a second, but lads did not lose it when Kiddie players started to foul. Would love to keep Connell as a permanent member of squad & hope AA can do a deal.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:57 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:53 am
Darlo_Rob wrote:Hard fought win tonight. We missed a couple of chances before we scored. I’ve no idea how the goal was allowed because although their defenders head was slightly down, O’Neills foot was high and he kicked him in the nose which resulted in him being substituted. Bit of luck for once for us, but I would have been furious if it had been at the other end.

Totally agree about Wheats playing really well at the moment, Credit to him and AA

You could also add that in the same period of time Hedley and Storey have also made an impact in making the defence a little more composed and tight. This is allowing us to play a bit more up the pitch which is how AA has wanted us to play from the beginning, unfortunately up until now he hasn't had a settled squad due to injuries to key players. You can't however fault his replacements at the moment and we are seeing what can be achieved with a settled side now.

If we can keep Connell it would be great, but maybe Elliott can step up once again should he have to.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:40 am

It's a good job there's no VAR at our level, as our goal would have been ruled out 100% for a foul on their player. When your team is going well, you tend to get the rub of the green. Does anybody know when was the last time we won 6 in a row? We're also just a point off a play-off place.

en passant

Post by en passant » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:48 am

On the topic of Connell, I am impressed for the first time in a long time that when a ball goes into the Darlo box that I am being convinced that our keeper will claim it. I haven't had that sort of confidence in a long time and I'm sure that is how it is for the defence as well, knowing that if they can't deal with it Connell can. But I agree that defending isn't a one man job and the emergence of Hedley and Storey, and the experience of the captain and the enthusiastic Liddle, has made us look like a side that can hold onto a narrow lead and win ugly. The last two home games have certainly proved that.
The first half was quite the opposite, with a wonderful freedom to the Darlo play, that saw players constantly interchanging and you could see that it was driving their defenders to distraction, to the point that they were quite happy to just boot the ball out or up field to buy some relief. Rivers was certainly the standout performer, even before he got the goal, and certainly had other chances, but the engine room of the side was probably more impressive as they overloaded Kiddy with problems. Hatfield buzzes around seemingly able to be in several places at once, and Holness gives the centre a bit of muscle that every team requires. And then there is the refurbished Joe Wheatley, who was looking quite imperious as the the man who had the game in his pocket and had the time and elegance to have options on where to when to take another thrust into the opponents breadbasket. As much as the defence have been revitalised, that central three are equally responsible for a tight ship with a good deal of creative outlet as well.
But this wouldn't be any good without end product, and after a none too convincing opening month the attack now looks potent, with O'Neill and Campbell both in the goals and creating opportunities for others and each other. Thommo and Donawa are both threatening when in the side or coming on late, as they did in this game with both having decent chances of getting the second goal. And then there is Rivers who was a constant thorn in the Kiddy side, particularly in the first half. The only thing that you feel is wanting in his performances to date is a little more goalscoring, and last night was certainly a well deserved and timely score.
The whole team seemed to run out of steam midway through the second half, and it was good to see that AA got subs on in accordance with the need to get some fresh legs out there, and get more height into the defence late on when their giant came on. A well fought and well managed game that earlier in the season we might well have lost, but winning is a great habit to have and this run just gets better and better.
A wish for the next match is to have Connell extend his loan and for us to beat Hereford and go into the Cup game with our tails up against a side very low on confidence ready to cause an upset.

DarloFaithful

Post by DarloFaithful » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:03 am

We were excellent first half. Rivers in particular was giving their left back and left centre back twisted blood. Could tell they were starting to get frustrated with him. Between him, O Niel, Thompson and Armstrong we have some really excellent footballers.

I think the game went a bit flat after the goal and subsequent stoppage. I couldn't understand why they were protesting it having not seen the goal clearly, but it sounds as if it was justified.

Wasn't confident at all about Saturday but Hereford aren't doing quite as well as i'd thought. An unchanged team and we win, but looking less and less likely that our keeper will remain the same

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:40 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Also holness coming in to make it a proper midfield 3

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:45 am

tdk1 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:40 am
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Also holness coming in to make it a proper midfield 3
Holness has made a difference, but what is this "proper midfield 3" concept. You can play 2 or 3 in the middle of the park, though certainly moving to 3 has solidified us.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 am

I'm pretty sure everybody can agree after witnessing a proper solid, grind it out win last night that this team is like chalk and cheese compared to last season's ragtag bunch of overpaid, fat, pea hearted, fancy dan failures.

No wonder AA wanted to fuck virtually everyone of them off - it was't just that he wanted to bring his own players in as all managers do, it was that he knew the squad was a bunch of wasters. How many times last season did we crumble to a draw or defeat after racing into a 2-0 lead? Mentally weak, clueless, no game plan, players hiding.

This squad - no one hides, everyone grafts, everyone knows their role, and perhaps more important than anything else these players are mentally tough and you could see last night that the team has BACKBONE.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:08 pm

Said what most Darlo fans are thinking Ghost, that's it in a nutshell.Good post.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:49 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:I'm pretty sure everybody can agree after witnessing a proper solid, grind it out win last night that this team is like chalk and cheese compared to last season's ragtag bunch of overpaid, fat, pea hearted, fancy dan failures.

No wonder AA wanted to fuck virtually everyone of them off - it was't just that he wanted to bring his own players in as all managers do, it was that he knew the squad was a bunch of wasters. How many times last season did we crumble to a draw or defeat after racing into a 2-0 lead? Mentally weak, clueless, no game plan, players hiding.

This squad - no one hides, everyone grafts, everyone knows their role, and perhaps more important than anything else these players are mentally tough and you could see last night that the team has BACKBONE.
Yeah but if we’d given Tommy another 10 games, it’d have come good, honest.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:02 pm

What impressed me the most was how much of a team we looked. We defended as a team, we attacked as a team. The effort was there for us to see. As Q says, it's like night and day in comparison. AA looks like he knows exactly what he's doing.

Throughly enjoyed last nights game. Whilst they did have plenty of the ball in the second half, I don't think they did an awful lot with it. But I think they are a good side, certainly one of the better ones we've played.

Wheatley was my MOM last night. Hope we've still got plenty in the tank for Saturday as we looked a little tired in the last 15

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:05 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:02 pm
What impressed me the most was how much of a team we looked. We defended as a team, we attacked as a team. The effort was there for us to see. As Q says, it's like night and day in comparison. AA looks like he knows exactly what he's doing.

Throughly enjoyed last nights game. Whilst they did have plenty of the ball in the second half, I don't think they did an awful lot with it. But I think they are a good side, certainly one of the better ones we've played.

Wheatley was my MOM last night. Hope we've still got plenty in the tank for Saturday as we looked a little tired in the last 15
Wheatley was on the short list of two for MOM. Rivers got it mainly for the first half where he tormented their defence every time he got the ball.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:42 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:49 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:I'm pretty sure everybody can agree after witnessing a proper solid, grind it out win last night that this team is like chalk and cheese compared to last season's ragtag bunch of overpaid, fat, pea hearted, fancy dan failures.

Yeah but if we’d given Tommy another 10 games, it’d have come good, honest.
Hope the sarcasm wasn't aimed at me because although at first I wanted to back TW, it became as obvious to me as it did to you that it wasn't ever going to improve.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:09 pm

I think the sarcasm was more aimed at general delusionists from last year as this was a typical soundbite they'd come up with.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:15 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I think the sarcasm was more aimed at general delusionists from last year as this was a typical soundbite they'd come up with.
This is it. There were people who said to give TW 10 games this season and see how it went, which is a ludicrous approach, going into a season without being certain on your manager. Some could never quite let go of the idea TW could turn it around, even when it was clear late last season we needed a change in approach.

In fairness AA came in for a bit of flack after a slow start, so I’m pleased it’s starting to click, although there are still improvements to be made.

We need to be more clinical up front and we can get better in defence too. But it’s undoubtedly heading in the right direction.

The one caveat I would attach is that at Blyth, AA always seemed to go on runs. He’d have an unbeaten run followed by a frustrating winless run. I’m hoping we’re going to be a tad more consistent.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:45 pm

That was some giant that Harriers brought on to go more direct last night. Brandon Daiu, standing at 6ft 6ins, did cause a few anxious moments and barely needed to leave the ground for some of the high balls. I reckon only Tom Denton, at 6ft 7ins, could look down on him. Billy Heath will be on the phone pronto once he clocks him :D

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:53 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 am
I'm pretty sure everybody can agree after witnessing a proper solid, grind it out win last night that this team is like chalk and cheese compared to last season's ragtag bunch of overpaid, fat, pea hearted, fancy dan failures.

Whilst I completely agree with everything you have wrote, we are actually only 3 points better off than we were at 14 games in last season.

However we had already hit the selling period with Styche gone and a few weeks later Syers leaving, and been dumped out of the FA Cup.

Just find it amusing that we are so much better but only 3 point better off, however as a team/squad/club a million miles away from where we were last season. We are actually looking to sign players to improve the squad as opposed to shipping them out, we even look like improving where we were on a decline period at this stage.

All of this with 3 serious long term injuries.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:02 pm

The atmosphere around the club last season wasn't helped by the fact that TW only managed a couple of wins in the first 9 home games and we were also dumped straight out of the FA Cup at home. It still sends shudders down my spine to remember how chaotic and weak we frequently looked. And how we so easily capitulated when put under pressure.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:13 pm

:thumbup: best 50/60 minutes of football seen from Darlington for a long time ,commitment never say die attitude and a good 3 points, fans should be very happy with that performance.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:15 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:53 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:

Whilst I completely agree with everything you have wrote, we are actually only 3 points better off than we were at 14 games in last season.

However we had already hit the selling period with Styche gone and a few weeks later Syers leaving, and been dumped out of the FA Cup.

Just find it amusing that we are so much better but only 3 point better off, however as a team/squad/club a million miles away from where we were last season. We are actually looking to sign players to improve the squad as opposed to shipping them out, we even look like improving where we were on a decline period at this stage.

Yeah. It's the manner of it all though. We're fitter, better organised, the squad is a better size, and we have some positive momentum. Last year by now, you knew it was going to be a rubbish year. I'm very impressed with AA so far. I have to say though, as much as I liked Tommy as a person, it really does illustrate somewhat how poor a manager he was. While Gray lost it at the end, he always had us fighting and organised as well. TW looks very poor in comparison to both managers.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:53 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:

TW was very lucky that both FC United (A) & Boston United (H) capitulated and were both reduced to 9 men, otherwise I’m not totally convinced he would have won those games.

14 games in last season we went winless until Boxing Day, so hopefully we start to pull away from last season’s tally soon (although I do accept December looks a very difficult month).

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:50 am

Yep TW was very lucky, every time we got very desperate he did seem to sign one or two loan players and we pulled off some good results.

Looking ahead you can be positive and reminds you how desperate we were last season. We will have some tough spells and losing O’Neill/Connell could knock us back but we have some room to manoeuvre.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:23 pm

If you look at our record against teams that actually kept 11 on the pitch under TW, then it is very poor:

13-18-29

That’s a win percentage of 21.66%

It was even worse in the 18/19 season, at 20.51%.

If you have that over a season you get relegated.

Thankfully the opposition kept on getting players sent off every 7 games so it kept him in a job.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:25 pm

Was just reading Kev's comments on how the club's video highlights and interviews have enjoyed an outstanding October in terms of viewing figures. They really are very high quality and it's not only our fans who notice and appreciate that. I was reading the comments of Kidderminster fans who were saying that our highlights were on another planet compared to their own club's offering. We are very fortunate to have people who give their time and expertise to produce such a fantastic package after each match :clap:
Last edited by LoidLucan on Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:05 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:25 pm
Was just reading Kev's comments on how the club's video highlights and interviews have enjoyed an outstanding October in terms of viewing figures. They really are very high quality and it's not only our fans who notice and appreciate that. I was reading the comments of Kidderminster fans who were saying that our highlights were on another planet compared to their own club's offering. We are very fortunate to have people who give up their time and expertise to produce such a fantastic package after each match :clap:
Seconded. A real life line for exiles.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:10 pm

Kev's highlights and interviews plus the coverage on DFR are a credit to the work and expertise you guys give to us fans.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:58 am

Being stood in the Tin Shed, it was only when I watched the highlights that I appreciated the coolness of Rivers' clinical finish. Also i had to watch the replay of the reflex save by Connell near the end to keep the clean sheet. Absolutely brilliant, thanks & keep it going!