FA Cup draw - Darlo Away to Walsall

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FA Cup draw - Darlo Away to Walsall

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:07 pm

banktopp wrote:Could have been a lot worse.
Hartlepool could be going all the way to Yeovil. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.
The Racists’ Derby.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:07 pm
banktopp wrote:Could have been a lot worse.
Hartlepool could be going all the way to Yeovil. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.
The Racists’ Derby.
Don't think MOTD will be at that one.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:12 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:54 pm
grimsbyquaker wrote:A quick scan of the comments on their FB page and it’s clear to see that many of their fans can see us winning. It’d doom and gloom there at the moment. Darrell Clarke is questioning the players’ desire etc. It’s got ‘shock’ written all over it. Only downer is that the negativity will produce a poor crowd and therefore a smaller share of the takings
Nick, if we play to our potential a replay is more than achievable.Initially I thought they were a solid Div 1 outfit rather than struggling in League 2.A good away following could be our 12th man so not as down as was the case 30 mins ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ron I was like you but think it’s winnable, especially with the negativity hanging over them at the moment. Only real downer is that the doom and gloom will probably hit the home attendance

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:15 pm

At least with the way gate money is split we know that a percentage of the entrance money travelling Darlo fans pay will be coming back to our club, so we are putting something into our own pot.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:26 pm

Four away ties on the spin takes some doing.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:44 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Four away ties on the spin takes some doing.
Try flipping a coin 4 times. It’s not that hard really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:49 pm

4 away ties on the spin is a 1 in 16 chance.
The gate is whatever we make it. Probs 3,500 Walsall fans max. If we can fill the away end ( 2,000 capacity but with the potential for more) then could be a decent gate. Damn site better than Dover away would have been.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:55 pm

what do we think will be the TV games.
Harrogate v Pompey
Leyton Orient v Maldon & Tiptree

Seem obvious choices but a bit more difficult to pick the other 2.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:02 pm

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:05 pm

I am quite happy with the draw, could have been better and could have been worse.

It's a tie against a league club in the 1st Round of the FA Cup, what's not to like about it.

We now have 3 league games in between to hopefully move up the table a little and then have a big FA Cup game.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:07 pm

JE93 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:55 pm
what do we think will be the TV games.
Harrogate v Pompey
Leyton Orient v Maldon & Tiptree

Seem obvious choices but a bit more difficult to pick the other 2.
Dulwich Hamlet
Chippenham

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:08 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:02 pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 542012.stm

Who remembers this?
The gaffer was in the squad for the last league meeting back in 2007. https://www.skysports.com/football/darl ... sall/81535

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:09 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:31 pm
We could make £22/25k on a 5500 gate. Looking forward to the trip.
But they won't get a 5500 gate. League clubs in round 1 tend to get smaller than average crowds, especially against lower opposition.

The crowd will probably be 3,500-4,000

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:22 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:05 pm
I am quite happy with the draw, could have been better and could have been worse.

It's a tie against a league club in the 1st Round of the FA Cup, what's not to like about it.

We now have 3 league games in between to hopefully move up the table a little and then have a big FA Cup game.
I'm with super_les and a few others on this. At first I thought it was a bit of a nothing tie. Walsall away hardly evokes the romance and glamour of the cup does it, zero tv interest, and not exactly a bumper payday at the gate. But on reflection, if they are in as choppy waters as has been suggested then, given the way we're playing at the moment, we've every chance of winning it, or getting them back to BM. Then we get an easy tie in R2, and MCFC/MUFC/Liverpool/insert 'big boy' of your choice in R3 :D

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:47 pm

Personally I think it's a shite draw and just seems a real bummer to get yet another away game after already negotiating three tricky away ties. It won't be a great crowd as their fans just sound fed up to the back teeth with their club, with very little enthusiasm for the game. Even given their poor form it will be extremely difficult making progress against a full-time League Two side on their own ground.

I suppose when you look at the draw in general there were a lot of equally shite draws lurking all over it but I confess to feeling deflated to be again on the road with a less than inspiring clash. Hopefully we can take 500 or more and help to boost the coffers a little bit.

With any luck they'll get it into their heads that it will be something of a stroll against a bunch of part-time, long-ball cloggers and the attacking style that we can turn on catches them off guard. At first look they also seem to be lacking a bit of backbone and team spirit.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:18 pm

The Saddlers forum seem less than pleased with the draw. Not sure whether it was Black country humour or sarcasm but one post asked if it would be all ticket🤔
They seem like a club in trouble, so perhaps we can be the surprise upset of the round. I would take a replay but hoping for the best.

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:33 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:47 pm
Personally I think it's a shite draw and just seems a real bummer to get yet another away game after already negotiating three tricky away ties. It won't be a great crowd as their fans just sound fed up to the back teeth with their club, with very little enthusiasm for the game. Even given their poor form it will be extremely difficult making progress against a full-time League Two side on their own ground.

I suppose when you look at the draw in general there were a lot of equally shite draws lurking all over it but I confess to feeling deflated to be again on the road with a less than inspiring clash. Hopefully we can take 500 or more and help to boost the coffers a little bit.

With any luck they'll get it into their heads that it will be something of a stroll against a bunch of part-time, long-ball cloggers and the attacking style that we can turn on catches them off guard. At first look they also seem to be lacking a bit of backbone and team spirit.
Totally agree that this is by far not the worst draw, but it is also a long way from being a decent draw as well. I would have hoped that the cup gods could have done the decent thing after so many barren years and done us a favour, but it seems that even when we do get a bit of cup success we have to do it the hard way.

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:51 pm

One further thought, however, is that being as this hasn't got such a big game feel may help with being able to refocus the team's attention back to improving our league position. You often see a team, finding that they are getting too caught up in the glories of the cup, end up losing their league form. I think this underwhelming draw does have the benefit of being more likely to keep us grounded.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:08 pm

en passant wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:51 pm
One further thought, however, is that being as this hasn't got such a big game feel may help with being able to refocus the team's attention back to improving our league position. You often see a team, finding that they are getting too caught up in the glories of the cup, end up losing their league form. I think this underwhelming draw does have the benefit of being more likely to keep us grounded.
Yes, it feels like after the euphoria of our cup run we need to get back to the reality of the league and keep within the places just behind the playoff spots and it's probably better our tie goes below the radar. When we were last in it like this we beat Mossley followed by an 'unglamorous tie' against Bristol Rovers (higher opposition), we won 2-1 and got through to the second round to face York City (albeit losing in the snow at the Arena!) - basically hopefully same as the first part and better with the second this time! :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:45 pm

There is one good thing about being drawn away again it means the rugby club don't get to sponge another thousand plus off us in rent for this same reason I hope we emulate that league cup result from ten years ago without the need for a replay.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:40 am

Mister e wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:45 pm
There is one good thing about being drawn away again it means the rugby club don't get to sponge another thousand plus off us in rent for this same reason I hope we emulate that league cup result from ten years ago without the need for a replay.
The nasty rugby club charging us rent to use their ground...absolute scroungers they should let us use it for free because we don't like their chips.

"Well if we can't be happy then at least nobody else is happy"

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:42 am

If I was a TV exec and looking for an upset in the first round of cup, then our game against Walsall would be top of my list.
A struggling Divison 2 team playing a National League North team who have just won 4 away games in a row, and whose squad gets stronger
every week as injured players return to fitness.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:32 am

I just imagine it will be Dulwich Hamlet. They have made the BBC articles a lot in the past year both for their ground issues and also because of their strong attendances at the level they operate. They are a NLS team like us (although in pretty poor form 3 defeats and 2 draws in last 5) and are playing at home against Carlisle (who are a place below Walsall in League Two).

That is where my money is anyway.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:40 am

banktopp wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:42 am
If I was a TV exec and looking for an upset in the first round of cup, then our game against Walsall would be top of my list.
Really? If we were flying at the top of the NLN, and they were stranded at the bottom of League 2 I could understand that, particularly if we were at home, but as it is we are 14th in NLN, they are 19th in L2, and we're playing at their place. Yes we're in good form (although that can probably be said of most teams our level who reach the first round), but it doesn't scream out cup upset potential to me. That's not to say we don't have a chance of course

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:50 am

The only way well be on tv is if they look at the fan owned ex league club rising up the leagues and reaching 1st round for 1st time story... If we were at home I'd say wed have half a chance but as were away no chance...

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:54 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:40 am
Mister e wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:45 pm
The nasty rugby club charging us rent to use their ground...absolute scroungers they should let us use it for free because we don't like their chips.

"Well if we can't be happy then at least nobody else is happy"
Profits are split only after all expenses are allowed for. So the ground hire at B.M. along with police, away team travel and accommodation (if required) are all taken into a pot. So it's the NET profit that is split in a cup tie meaning that the B.M rent this time wouldn't have been too bad.

Personally I think it's a duff draw. It's neither one thing or another and away yet again. I very much doubt we will get anything and a draw would be a great result.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:55 am

I think it's the sort of game that would be immediately passed over by anyone planning coverage of the round. It's just not an appealing tie and especially so with the league side being at home. We would have stood a chance with a home tie against league opposition but not with this one.

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:15 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:55 am
I think it's the sort of game that would be immediately passed over by anyone planning coverage of the round. It's just not an appealing tie and especially so with the league side being at home. We would have stood a chance with a home tie against league opposition but not with this one.
Agreed again. I think the previous comment on our being ahead of the pack to get dibs on a TV appearance is only possible if your whole view of the round is taken from our own point of view. The TV people will be able to find more compelling stories that they can fit around other ties far better than our humble achievements to date. And should we be able to get through this tie, don't expect that to heighten our profile to get us on TV either. That has already been grabbed by Chichester City getting through on the bye.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:07 am

To be fair, Chichester achievement far exceeds our own anyway having started in the extra preliminary round.

Fairytale for them getting the bye. They’ve also said they’re donating some of the money to Bury fund which is top class!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:45 am

Majority of FA Cup games these days see a below average crowd. Best bet for decent revenue is a draw and on the telly for the victorious replay. Would take a first time victory though.