FA Cup draw - Darlo Away to Walsall

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FA Cup draw - Darlo Away to Walsall

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:06 am

According to the records, we've played Walsall 42 times in total, winning 11 of them against Walsall's 18 victories with 13 draws.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:06 am

banktopp wrote:Could have been a lot worse.
Hartlepool could be going all the way to Yeovil. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.
O missed that I thought there had to replay the game

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:59 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:06 am
banktopp wrote:Could have been a lot worse.
Hartlepool could be going all the way to Yeovil. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.
O missed that I thought there had to replay the game

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
He did say COULD or did you miss that as well

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:09 am

says gramps:
Decent away day and a good chance of an upset, given they’re not in great form. Bring it on I say.

yes indeed. this isn't a bad draw at all and just the kind of test our lot are up to. it's definitely winnable or at least a replay which could be a cracker. whatever, darlo are looking up again - full marks to alan armstrong and the rest of the club.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:22 am

I'm happy with the draw, I fancy our chances of making a decent fist of it & I could see us getting a draw. We'll have a very decent following & we can become the 12th man. And yes I managed to avoid the draw, before watching it as live at 9-30pm.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:26 am

I am ok with the draw. It is a proper game against a proper club we have all heard of in a proper ground.

This is what we have been trying to get back to these years. This is us back on the big stage. Lets go down therein numbers and see if we can get something. They are in poor form and don't seem a happy ship. it will be hard but we can do it.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:48 am

Craig Stoddart tweeting “ not sure even what day it will be played on “ I thought it will be played on Saturday the 9 th of November, or could it be on the Sunday? Anyone.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:07 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:Craig Stoddart tweeting “ not sure even what day it will be played on “ I thought it will be played on Saturday the 9 th of November, or could it be on the Sunday? Anyone.
Could well be the Sunday. For the last few seasons the BBC have done a Sunday afternoon programme for the 1st and 2nd rounds. It is Soccer Saturday-style and usually they pick the best ties involving non-league clubs (providing they haven’t been picked for full match coverage already). They’re after upsets basically. Usually they select about 10-15 games.

If the Beeb are doing this again, I’d say there’s a good chance our game will be on the Sunday rather than the Saturday.

Doubtless some of the traditionalists would throw a wobbly if we were on the Sunday, but for me it’d be good exposure, particularly if we did pull off a shock.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:08 pm

All the people whinging about the draw, seriously, what are you on about!? The odds on us pulling Pools or Sunderland were extremely long. Outside of that, would you prefer a total nothing tie against a team at our level or the Conference that we could easily lose and nobody would even bat an eye lid at? Or maybe a lower ranked team where the pressure is on us to avoid being the team that gets walked over in someone else's FA Cup story like was always the case in our league days!?

Outside of the 2 dream ties or the bye, away at a league club with a decent ground within decent rail links and not an outrageous drive away was spot on. The TV mobs look for probable upsets and teams with a bit of a story, we tick both boxes. Whether we get picked for live TV or not, a Match of the Day feature is certainly not out of the question.

I swear to God some of you lot would whinge that a 4-0 win wasn't 5-0!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Plus, unbelievably, yet another game for us Midlands Exiles. We've had 3 ties on the trot. There are a lot of us, a few hundred at least , and as Birmingham is dead in the centre of the country, exiles from everywhere can get to this one, as well as fans living in Darlington.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:42 pm

Breedon wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:08 pm
All the people whinging about the draw, seriously, what are you on about!? The odds on us pulling Pools or Sunderland were extremely long. Outside of that, would you prefer a total nothing tie against a team at our level or the Conference that we could easily lose and nobody would even bat an eye lid at? Or maybe a lower ranked team where the pressure is on us to avoid being the team that gets walked over in someone else's FA Cup story like was always the case in our league days!?

Outside of the 2 dream ties or the bye, away at a league club with a decent ground within decent rail links and not an outrageous drive away was spot on. The TV mobs look for probable upsets and teams with a bit of a story, we tick both boxes. Whether we get picked for live TV or not, a Match of the Day feature is certainly not out of the question.

I think it's an uninspiring draw as we won't make much money and we will probably lose. While there were certainly worse draws we could have got, we didn't have to draw Hartlepool or Sunderland for us to have got a much more exciting draw than Walsall away.

Of course, if we do manage to win, then it's a great draw :lol:

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:43 pm

If you want to get an idea of the likely level of interest from Walsall fans for the game, this is probably a fair indication. In 2016, when they were a League One side (now, of course, in League Two), they played Macclesfield (a National League side) at home in the FA Cup first round and there were 2,334 people there. Would be a surprise if they managed to attract more home fans for this one, given they have dropped down a level and seem completely hacked off with their club. On the positive side for us, Macc dumped them out of the cup.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:47 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:42 pm
Breedon wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:08 pm

I think it's an uninspiring draw as we won't make much money and we will probably lose. While there were certainly worse draws we could have got, we didn't have to draw Hartlepool or Sunderland for us to have got a much more exciting draw than Walsall away.

Of course, if we do manage to win, then it's a great draw :lol:
On top of Sunderland or Pools there were maybe 5 more notably exciting ties. After that, all the same. A league club is better than a coin toss tie against another non league club that nobody is arsed about. Its already mission accomplished at this point, anything else is a bonus. But I get the feeling we'll miss out on creating a belting day because a percentage of our fan base have no sense of perspective and will sit at home sulking with their arms folded that it wasn't perfect instead of packing the Walsall away end and making the game even more of a hassle than cup games against up for it non league sides already are for league teams.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:53 pm

No they won't sit at home sulking. 408 of them got off their arses and went to Tamworth. But this is still an uninspiring, s*** draw. Anyone in the draw at home would have been better.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Breedon wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:47 pm

On top of Sunderland or Pools there were maybe 5 more notably exciting ties. After that, all the same.
Behave :lol: pretty much any football league side at home would be more appealing than Walsall away. Doesn't mean I'm not going to go and hopefully have an enjoyable day

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:19 pm

I’m with Breedon here. To say it’s a s*** draw, as Loidlucan has, is way over the top.

To put it in context, outside of friendlies it’s years since we played a league side in a meaningful game (ironically enough Bristol Rovers in the FA Cup 1st round nine years ago - happy to stand corrected if I’ve missed any others).

That’s nearly a decade playing exclusively non-league opposition.

It’s not a glamour tie by any means, but it’s a game at an EFL side which hasn’t happened in about a decade. Moreover I’d say there’s a genuine chance of an upset. We’re in good form at the minute and there’s evidently discontent at Walsall. Pull off a victory and we’ll get even more exposure, more money and we keep the run going.

And we’ll also be appearing on TV in some way. The worst case is that we’re “only” on a highlights programme. Or we could get on the Sunday around the grounds programme if the Beeb are still doing it.

So there’s plenty to get excited about. Of course it’s not a super-sexy tie at home to a former PL club. But it’s more than we’ve had in a long time, and much more than many of us anticipated at the start of the season. Nothing to lose, everything to gain. I’m really looking forward to it.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:54 pm

I guess I was hoping for a better reward, as in a home draw, having done so well in battling through three away ties, although I realise things don't work that way. We really could have done with filling BM for a big clash that the waverers could get to and with a much improved chance of winning. Getting the crowds on board at home is key.

I just fear there won't be much cash in this one, there won't be much exposure and in terms of result this isn't a Trafford, Tamworth or Leamington. On their own ground it will be extremely tough to avoid being one of those "brave" non-league sides that get some plaudits but not very much else in compensation on the day. We deserved much more for our efforts than this but, yes, that's the luck (or bad luck) of the draw.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:07 pm

Are we still entertaining the notion that Blackwell Meadows isn't absolutely rubbish for anything more than our standard league crowd? A big away crowd is always a cracking atmosphere, especially when the home crowd aren't arsed and are easily drowned out. We're not capable of a big home crowd. Our capacity is still probably less than half of what we've been capable of for actual big games in the past. If we got a sell out at home, about a third of people will barely be able to watch the game and as usual the casuals wont want to come back citing the lack of a view if you don't fancy the shed or get against the fence, not to mention the hassle going for a wazz.

Football wise, I'm yet to see any evidence of Blackwell being a fortress. And recently we've found some excellent away form.

Financially, am I right in thinking its a 50/50 cut of the gate? If so, Walsall will be a bit more expensive and the rugby club wont be taking a bite out of our 50%. The fact its a short train ride from Birmingham city centre makes it ideal for a day out/making a weekend of it if people fancy.

Literally the only advantage to a home tie is convenience getting to the game, which you'd have thought given we've finally put a cup run together people wouldn't be all that fussed by!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Getting bigger home crowds is crucial to our future. The people we need to attract regularly in the main don't travel to the Midlands etc.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:22 pm

Breedon wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:07 pm

Financially, am I right in thinking its a 50/50 cut of the gate? If so, Walsall will be a bit more expensive and the rugby club wont be taking a bite out of our 50%. The fact its a short train ride from Birmingham city centre makes it ideal for a day out/making a weekend of it if people fancy.
Expenses are deducted before the gate receipts are split.

I guess pontificating on the internet (myself included!) won't change the draw, so whether people think it's a great/awful/ meh draw is pretty irrelevant really. Those who are interested will go, those who aren't won't. All we can hope for is a good performance and if we're lucky we may be in the hat for the next round. If this is where it ends, then it'll still be our best cup run for years, and a nice boost to the bank already.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:29 pm

The buss around this tie is good, maybe 600/800 darlo away support and maybe even more than that.
Wallsal station very close to ground. And easily found from motorway .also a definite winnable game .
I think we will win and the players are definitely up for it.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:40 pm

Breedon wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:07 pm
Are we still entertaining the notion that Blackwell Meadows isn't absolutely rubbish for anything more than our standard league crowd? A big away crowd is always a cracking atmosphere, especially when the home crowd aren't arsed and are easily drowned out. We're not capable of a big home crowd. Our capacity is still probably less than half of what we've been capable of for actual big games in the past. If we got a sell out at home, about a third of people will barely be able to watch the game and as usual the casuals wont want to come back citing the lack of a view if you don't fancy the shed or get against the fence, not to mention the hassle going for a wazz.

Football wise, I'm yet to see any evidence of Blackwell being a fortress. And recently we've found some excellent away form.

Literally the only advantage to a home tie is convenience getting to the game, which you'd have thought given we've finally put a cup run together people wouldn't be all that fussed by!
Gates are split 45/45/10 after matchday expenses (security, away team travel exp, match officials, etc). With 45% going to both clubs and 10% going back to the FA. Completely agree with your sentiment though. Is it the most exciting draw, no, if we were wanting a FL side we were probably all wanting Ipswich, Blackpool, Bolton or Sunderland away. But its not an awful tie either, could easily have got, Harrogate, Altrincham, Dover or endless other meaningless games which would have meant the possibility of slipping out of the competition without a trace. As someone has said above, we've already had a great run with the financial rewards that it has brought, anything from now on is a huge bonus.

We'll go there full of confidence, with nothing to lose, and backed by 750-800 noisy fans in a stand where it seems like you can create a good atmosphere. They have the second worst home form in league 2, scored 4 and conceded 10 and just 5 points, their fans are nervous, which can often translate onto the pitch. If its 0-0 at half time the fans will start to get at them etc.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:23 pm

onewayup wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:29 pm
The buss around this tie is good, maybe 600/800 darlo away support and maybe even more than that.
Wallsal station very close to ground. And easily found from motorway .also a definite winnable game .
I think we will win and the players are definitely up for it.
Bescot Stadium has its own station, which is handy.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:27 pm

The mood among fans is probably a lot more positive in general than I suggested initially, I suppose I'm just overly excited having wanted this for years and am surprised there's any "meh" about it at all!

I get preferring a home game for convenience but at the moment big games at home have the opposite effect than we'd want. We're limited to a rubbish capacity, the rugby club would take their bites out of what we did make, and 2500+ games are often more off putting than inspiring for potential new regulars because the ground is as bare minimum as it gets.

Anyway, can't wait for it, really proud of the lads for making this a priority and getting us into the first round this year! If we could pull and upset, what a huge bonus, but the worst case scenario is still pretty sound! The prize money we've already accumulated will help us massively.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:43 pm

Have to say that I was delighted that Chichester got the bye.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:25 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:43 pm
Have to say that I was delighted that Chichester got the bye.
Do you?

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:31 pm

I can’t tell if the post is serious or not but I read this on their forum:
‘One of them thinks it might be on the Sunday. How dare they not know the market takes precedence against all else.’
Anyway I hope he is serious as I quite fancy a few pints in Birmingham on the Saturday night! 😁

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:23 pm

Currently losing 2-0 at Oldham, may have a new manager by the time we play them...
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:07 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:23 pm
Currently losing 2-0 at Oldham, may have a new manager by the time we play them...
Also nicknamed the saddlers and had a player sent off called Sandler hope they managers future wasn't riding on this 😁😁

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:09 am

Sadler not Sandler predictive text strikes again