Darlington V Boston

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Boston

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:41 am

Seems awhile since we had a thread about a league game and a home match to boot.
It was great to see Laing coming on as a substitute, hopefully he’s getting back to full fitness now, also Thompson we will need him Saturday with Donawa on international duty.
Haven’t looked much at Boston this season seem to be doing ok.
Need them points 👍

LoidLucan

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:58 am

Simon Ainge is described as one of their "star performers" and they are hoping he will overcome an injury to play. He doesn't play up front anymore. Wonder what sort of reception he'll get from the fans. Apparently the only competition he can't play against us is the FA Cup.

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:05 pm

Yeah, I read that too.

I kind of hope he doesn't [overcome his injury in time], as he's definitely got a point to prove.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:10 pm

They've also just signed attacking midfielder Martyn Woolford,33.

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:16 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:10 pm
He scored 2 in Daniel Parslow's testimonial last night. York fans said they should have signed him. Don't think you can tell much from a testimonial.

I'd be surprised if Ainge can play against his parent club, isn't there usually a rule against that?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:19 pm

It's been agreed he can play against us in the league.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:20 pm

darlobaz791 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:10 pm
He scored 2 in Daniel Parslow's testimonial last night. York fans said they should have signed him. Don't think you can tell much from a testimonial.

I'd be surprised if Ainge can play against his parent club, isn't there usually a rule against that?
There’s no rule, but clubs can make it a condition of the loan move.

Seemingly in this case it wasn’t.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 pm

Wasn't it the case that when he was with us he always wanted to play as a striker (even though it wasn't working) and was unhappy having to play in defence? Well, he now seems to have accepted that he's no longer a striker and is happy to be only used in central defence.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:39 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:19 pm
What a bunch of fucking fannies we are.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:48 pm

By the time Tommy had given up on Ainge being a striker, he was a fairly limited CB. No questioning his strength in the air where he won plenty of headers, but along the floor he is painfully immobile and in possession he often just hoofed it away in any direction. If you play to his strengths and hoof high balls at him he'll head them away all day long, get the ball on the floor and get him turned and he won't be able to cope with the pace of Campbell or the mobility of O'Neill.

As for Boston, looks like for the majority of the season they have swapped between 4-3-3 and 4-4-2. Plenty of experience through the spine of their side with the likes of Ainge, Sheils, Thanoj, Law and they've just signed Martin Woolford on loan from Grimsby. My eye did get drawn to the number of strikers they appear to have on their books, 7 by my counts: Dominic Knowles, Jake Wright, Jay Rollins, Jordan Adebayo-Smith, Jordan Thewlis, Shaun Tuton and Tom Clare. Sure some of them will play wider especially if they play 4-3-3 but 7 is still a very healthy contingent.

Still think we're good enough on our day to give anyone a game, and our form should mean that the lads have plenty of confidence. Would be good to see some goals coming in from around the squad, we need the likes of Galbraith and Laing to get on the end of some set pieces and Hatfield, Wheatley and Holness to contribute from CM. Few players missing again (when haven't there been this season) in Donawa and Bascombe on international duty, and Hedley is suspended for 5 yellow cards I believe. Will be interesting to see if Holness is pushed back to RB, not sure if Storey has any experience of playing there? Or if Liddle will be moved across to RB and Watson come back in at LB.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:56 pm

JE93 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:48 pm
By the time Tommy had given up on Ainge being a striker, he was a fairly limited CB. No questioning his strength in the air where he won plenty of headers, but along the floor he is painfully immobile and in possession he often just hoofed it away in any direction. If you play to his strengths and hoof high balls at him he'll head them away all day long, get the ball on the floor and get him turned and he won't be able to cope with the pace of Campbell or the mobility of O'Neill.

As for Boston, looks like for the majority of the season they have swapped between 4-3-3 and 4-4-2. Plenty of experience through the spine of their side with the likes of Ainge, Sheils, Thanoj, Law and they've just signed Martin Woolford on loan from Grimsby. My eye did get drawn to the number of strikers they appear to have on their books, 7 by my counts: Dominic Knowles, Jake Wright, Jay Rollins, Jordan Adebayo-Smith, Jordan Thewlis, Shaun Tuton and Tom Clare. Sure some of them will play wider especially if they play 4-3-3 but 7 is still a very healthy contingent.

Still think we're good enough on our day to give anyone a game, and our form should mean that the lads have plenty of confidence. Would be good to see some goals coming in from around the squad, we need the likes of Galbraith and Laing to get on the end of some set pieces and Hatfield, Wheatley and Holness to contribute from CM. Few players missing again (when haven't there been this season) in Donawa and Bascombe on international duty, and Hedley is suspended for 5 yellow cards I believe. Will be interesting to see if Holness is pushed back to RB, not sure if Storey has any experience of playing there? Or if Liddle will be moved across to RB and Watson come back in at LB.
Looking at their squad they are clearly yet another club who are bankrolled to fuck. Also, it appears they are getting a shiny new ground too.

I hope we utterly smash them.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:39 pm

It really doesn't matter if he plays, we play our own game well and we win, simple really, i do think we are more than capable of getting the result.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
JE93 wrote:

Looking at their squad they are clearly yet another club who are bankrolled to fuck. Also, it appears they are getting a shiny new ground too.

Why the jealousy??

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:39 pm
LoidLucan wrote:
Depends how happy we were with how much of his strikers wages they covered, I believe we were happy.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:39 pm
LoidLucan wrote:
As he/they held the whip hand because we wanted him out to reduce the wage bill perhaps as well as having to pay part of his wage it was a demand he/they made that he be allowed to play against us.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:00 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:48 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
JE93 wrote:

Why the jealousy??

It's not jealousy, it's contempt.

I don't want us to be bankrolled.

I want other clubs not to be bankrolled.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:19 pm

One of the kings of bankrolling, Fylde, have found it isn't always plain sailing just because you chuck huge amounts at the squad. The Blackpool fans have deserted them now, they had a sub-1,000 crowd recently and have dropped into the relegation zone. Wonder if they've still got the 2022 on their shirts as the Football League target :mrgreen: Come on down to National North :D

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:09 pm

I did have ground envy when we played at Fylde!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:49 pm

Maybe there will be enough rain to get the match postponed? We could do with more time and a game free week to help reduce the injury list and get the internationals back.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:54 am

Thompson also doubtful with a groin injury. Still a few options and in all likelihood he'll stick with what we had at Leamington, swapping Hedley for Watson and swapping him to the left with Liddle coming to the right. Had Trotman been around that 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 at the bottom might have been interesting.

4-3-3/4-5-1
‐-------------------- Connell -------------------
Liddle --- Liang --- Galbraith --- Watson
--- Holness -- Hatfield -- Wheatley ---
Rivers --------- O'Neill ------- Campbell

4-4-2:
‐-------------------- Connell -------------------
Liddle --- Liang --- Galbraith --- Watson
Rivers -- Hatfield -- Wheatley -- Bell
------------- o'Neill --- Campbell ----------

5-3-2/3-5-2:
------------------- Connell --------------------
---- Storey --- Liang --- Galbraith ----
Liddle ----------------------------- Watson
- Holness -- Hatfield -- Wheatley -
----------- O'Neill --- Campbell ---------

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:49 am

No reason we can't get a result here, in spite of the inevitable Ainge goal. A damned shame we're missing the Bermudan lads. Both have become vital squad players.

I'd go:

.............Connell

Liddle..Laing..Galbraith..Watson

...Holness..Hatfield..Wheatley

....Rivers..O'Neill..Campbell

UTQ

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:57 pm

A mate of mine lives in Bermuda and I told him about our two internationals. He's been with us to many Darlo games in the past and was going to take his five year old daughter but it kicks off at 10.30 pm!!

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:09 pm

Y

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:37 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:56 pm

Well hush my mouth it appears that they are not bankrolled. Yes, they are the 2nd known club in the NLN (as well as us) to live within their natural means. Apparently last season their sponsorship income was 440k* and gate income 195k (or something like that) and the wage bill was a very handsome, but sustainable on that turnover, 350k.

That sponsorship income is incredible - that's what you need to be aiming for Mr Morley.

*I've yet to find out if that 440k sponsorship is sustainable as in from loads of contributing companies (which would be immense), or whether it is "sponsorship" - ie the bulk of it really from a benefactor/benefactor's company.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:18 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:37 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:

Well hush my mouth it appears that they are not bankrolled. Yes, they are the 2nd known club in the NLN (as well as us) to live within their natural means. Apparently last season their sponsorship income was 440k* and gate income 195k (or something like that) and the wage bill was a very handsome, but sustainable on that turnover, 350k.

That sponsorship income is incredible - that's what you need to be aiming for Mr Morley.

*I've yet to find out if that 440k sponsorship is sustainable as in from loads of contributing companies (which would be immense), or whether it is "sponsorship" - ie the bulk of it really from a benefactor/benefactor's company.
That figure for sponsorship is not unique in the level, nor is having it coming from numerous different sponsors.

For the size of the club, Darlington since 2012 have relied too heavily on fans fund raising and not brought in anything like the amount of commercial income a club with its fan base should do.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:05 am

Does anybody know how much commercial money we brought in last season?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:12 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Does anybody know how much commercial money we brought in last season?
Not as much as this year I'd say!!

I will ask for you Pete how many times did the toilet's flush last year and are we about to break the record this season??

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:14 am

spen666 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:18 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:

That figure for sponsorship is not unique in the level, nor is having it coming from numerous different sponsors.

For the size of the club, Darlington since 2012 have relied too heavily on fans fund raising and not brought in anything like the amount of commercial income a club with its fan base should do.
Dunno with an industry standard conversion of 3%ish on prospect customer base it does seem a lot given the number of people that sponsorship is exposed to at this level.

To be fair with at least with sponsorship it can’t be claimed as a directors loan so it’s bankrolling but it’s less susceptible to fickle owners than other forms.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:52 am

spen666 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:18 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:

Please tell us more about how to make a club sustainable without a single, substantial source of income. You have much to teach us with your *checks notes* seven figure benefactor input.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:56 am

Boston is my local club and their ground is huge with masses of advertising space. Jakemans sponsor the stadium and the Co-operative has a significant sponsorship with one of the stands.
Their new ground is on the edge of town and is part of a massive new project, with new houses and a retail park. Basically, like what is happening with a number of new projects, particularly retail parks, the council grants agreement if something is built to benefit the local community, in this case a football stadium.
This is where we have missed out. If we had a council that supported us we could have asked for something to be contributed to the huge new 'Viilage' off Haughton Road. But this is Darlo and things always are done differently.