Alfreton V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Alfreton V Darlington

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:59 am

The interview with Liddle on the official site is absolutely brilliant. Anyone who wasn't there but wants a flavour of what it was all about should have a look.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:09 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:11 pm
H1987 wrote:Delighted. How was Donowa’s overall contribution? For me, it feels like he should be starting regularly.
He is getting there

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
:thumbup: I've really liked the cameos i've seen from him this season. I think he's making a very good case to be starting regularly.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:18 am

Good point about Alfreton playing midweek, but credit to AA for getting lads up for 2nd half & great tactics bringing on the subs at right time. The goals are part of AA's post-match video, but Lidds' interview also showed how much it meant to him & the team

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:18 pm

Well the good news is that leamington are playing midweek this week as well. Maybe we could encourage this of every team we play for the rest of the season?

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:20 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:18 pm
Well the good news is that leamington are playing midweek this week as well. Maybe we could encourage this of every team we play for the rest of the season?
Sadly it's forecast to absolutely bucket down in the Midlands on Tuesday so this game has postponement written all over it. Could you really see a cursed club like ourselves being that lucky twice ?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:14 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:59 am
The interview with Liddle on the official site is absolutely brilliant. Anyone who wasn't there but wants a flavour of what it was all about should have a look.
Liddle by name, Craig Liddle by nature. :clap:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Bernie Rhodes knows

Post by Bernie Rhodes knows » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:19 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:31 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:The fact that Alfreton played midweek was pivotal here. Halfway through the second half they visibly faded and couldn’t maintain their hard physical tactics. Credit to our players who kept on going, as it was a bruising encounter.

Also, what is going on at Alfreton. Their support was terrible for a team in a play off position, previously unbeaten at home. I doubt if there were 300 home fans, and they made no noise, gave no support out when their team needed it.
They made a bit of noise in the 1st half, did you not hear there god awful chant... And TBH we did make a sound till we scored

Do you mean that stupid " you reds" Chant

Fuck me the old gimmers were grunting that when they beat us at Blackwell last season

Cringeworthy in the extra.e

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:34 am

"Victory for football"

Les McJannet pretty much summed it up on Darlo Fans Radio.

One thing that was clear on the highlights was that the Alfreton player who smashed Liddle's nose led with a high arm straight into his face.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:00 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:34 am
"Victory for football"

One thing that was clear as a bell on the highlights was that the Alfreton player who smashed Liddle's nose led with his arm straight into his face.
Yeah I noticed that on the highlights, certainly deserving of a yellow for leading with the arm. I didn't expect anything else from a Billy Heath team but they really were like the Leeds United of old. Lots of niggly, cynical fouls, holding players etc. Then as soon as they get it back (al la Wheatley's tackle in the 2nd Half) they surround the referee to put pressure on. Not great on the eye and everyone has a right to play as they see fit (he's certainly effective), but it really does feel good when you get a win against teams like that, playing football on the ground.

Great second half performance and result for the lads. One that we've been threatening but not quite delivered on in previous games. Loved the grit we showed, its exactly the kind of thing that fans buy into, the interview with Liddle afterwards gives you some insight into the mentality of that squad. No reason why they can't string some results together and move up the league, as we get players back to full fitness. Armstrong changed the game with his substitutes, we haven't had the quality of Rivers to bring off the bench for a long time, and the pace of Donawa late in a game creates chances. Shame Campbell couldn't get his goal, just needed to hit it earlier on the chance where he rounded the keeper, but great composure to loft the cross in for O'Neills goal. Credit to Storey as well, not an easy game to come into for your first appearance, but certainly deserving of more opportunities while we nurse Laing back to fitness.

Hopefully Leamington and Hereford will have their game go ahead midweek and we can travel down there on Saturday, fresh and full of confidence ready to keep our good run of 2 consecutive away wins going.

Most of all, got a good feeling about Armstrong and his squad. He knows he's still a couple of players away, he'll freely admit it. But with 2 or 3 additions this team could compete for the playoffs in this league.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:09 am

LoidLucan wrote:"Victory for football"

One thing that was clear on the highlights was that the Alfreton player who smashed Liddle's nose led with a high arm straight into his face.
I saw it first hand and could believe it wasn't at least a yellow... And some Alfreton Ultra'sImageImage at the front were shouting get up never touched him refImage

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:20 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
"Victory for football"
Bedaledarlo's infamous line from years ago - :)

But it's a good point, we wanted to play football, they wanted to get stuck in as much as possible, break the game up, commit niggly fouls and nasty fouls too.

Saturday was a huge change from the previous home game V York.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:24 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
"Victory for football"

Yeah, I'd have to disagree with Les there - no victory is ever a true victory for football unless Chris Moore is playing.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:42 pm

Michael Cansfield also summed it up quite nicely for the listeners when he screamed: "IT'S A GOALLLL. IT'S A GOALLL. DONOWA PUTS IT IN OFF THE REBOUND. FANTASTIC GOALLLL FOR DARLINGTON. EVERYBODY'S JUMPING AROUND. WHAT A GOALLL!"

He might need to suck on a Fishermen's Friend this morning :D.... but who can blame him!

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:05 pm

Looking at the highlights took me back two years when I was at the Alfreton away game. Liddle's incident remained me of a similar event in the first half back then when one of our players went down under a clear leading arm foul, which looked like a clear sending off, but the ref did nothing. The later Wheatley incident also reminded me of the way their players got our goalkeeper sent off and a penalty awarded by shouting at the ref for action. Somethings never change.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:00 pm

Yet Conlon used to get sent off for elbowing people all the time, and head butting them too.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:02 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Ive missed 2 away games this season (Trafford and Alfreton) but that interview made up for it.

What an absolute star he is. Watching Premier League football over the weekend on MOTD I saw a Villa player go off with a broken eyelash.

Can see why AA brought him to the club, you would want Lidds next to you in the trenches!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:03 am

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:02 am
LoidLucan wrote:
Ive missed 2 away games this season (Trafford and Alfreton) but that interview made up for it.

What an absolute star he is. Watching Premier League football over the weekend on MOTD I saw a Villa player go off with a broken eyelash.

Can see why AA brought him to the club, you would want Lidds next to you in the trenches!
Clearly you should be banned from going to anymore away games, as we only win when you're not there!! :D

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:29 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:03 am
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:02 am
LoidLucan wrote:

Clearly you should be banned from going to anymore away games, as we only win when you're not there!! :D
Close to a ban