New signing

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Alfie
Posts: 270
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Eye, Suffolk

New signing

Post by Alfie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:08 pm


Darlopartisan
Posts: 730
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:02 pm

Looks a good signing welcome to the club Alex Storey

jjljks
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by jjljks » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:14 pm

Given the current crop of injuries, looks like a good fit & a chance for him to get a contract if he does well for us.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2811
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:19 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:Looks a good signing welcome to the club Alex Storey

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


quakersfan
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by quakersfan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:15 pm

Looks promising

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1739
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:44 pm

We picked David Ferguson up from Shildon, I believe, after his release from a league club. That would be a nice precedent.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12101
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:51 pm

Does anybody know what position does he normally play? He doesn't look very happy in the picture does he?

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1654
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:55 pm

Well, you didn't look very happy on Saturday but I know you were!

JE93
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by JE93 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:04 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:51 pm
Does anybody know what position does he normally play? He doesn't look very happy in the picture does he?
He's a CB.

Which I guess means Laing is out for longer than was hoped?

LoidLucan
Posts: 2992
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:36 pm

Our centre backs will get a real test from Billy Heath's 'Bang it high into the box' boys on Saturday. Throw-ins, freekicks and corners will be hurled in there at every opportunity. We may well need some back-up.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:20 pm

JE93 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:04 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:51 pm
Does anybody know what position does he normally play? He doesn't look very happy in the picture does he?
He's a CB.

Which I guess means Laing is out for longer than was hoped?
Possibly, and certainly from Armstrong's interview today Laing's injury sounds a little more longer-term than he hoped.

AA mentioned about having Trotman, Holmes and Atkinson out, with Laing added to that. No suggestion that Laing is really serious, but I doubt he'll be back for Alfreton, and maybe a little beyond that as well, reading between the lines. But I could be reading too much into that.

Storey will give us cover - probably Watson and Galbraith will still be first choice but at least we have back up, who is low risk in terms of finances.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

JE93
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by JE93 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:07 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:20 pm
JE93 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:04 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:51 pm
Does anybody know what position does he normally play? He doesn't look very happy in the picture does he?
He's a CB.

Which I guess means Laing is out for longer than was hoped?
Possibly, and certainly from Armstrong's interview today Laing's injury sounds a little more longer-term than he hoped.

AA mentioned about having Trotman, Holmes and Atkinson out, with Laing added to that. No suggestion that Laing is really serious, but I doubt he'll be back for Alfreton, and maybe a little beyond that as well, reading between the lines. But I could be reading too much into that.

Storey will give us cover - probably Watson and Galbraith will still be first choice but at least we have back up, who is low risk in terms of finances.
Just listened to Alun's interview. Sounds about right to me and as you say low risk. By the sounds of if it's the kind of thing he had planned with Holliday and Bell (to dual register them with another club) to get experience but injuries have meant they were needed as cover on the bench. Bit similar to Jack Vaulks last season being dual registered at Pickering.

The lad certainly has pedigree, been at Sunderland since he was a kid and Boro had a look at him in the summer. Best of luck to him.

50 years
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by 50 years » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:46 am

It must be a nightmare for Armstrong, trying to get a settled team and I assume worrying when training in case any players get a knock. We cant just go and get players due to finances, but looks like he is working to bring young players in he can develop within our budget constraints. Once everyone is back bet this team delivers. He must be pulling his hair out.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:39 am

I’d recommend listening to his interview on the website. He sounds immensely frustrated, understandably so. Some have been quick to criticise because of our slow start, but the effect of the injuries must be considered because it’s clearly having a big impact.

He also says he’s 70-80% there with the squad he wants. This season was always going to be a transitional one. Once he can finally get the likes of Burn and Ainge shipped out, and can bring in more cover in defence and a more physical forward, we’ll be just about there. But it’s not going to happen immediately so patience is needed.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1798
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:14 pm

Darlogramps wrote:I’d recommend listening to his interview on the website. He sounds immensely frustrated, understandably so. Some have been quick to criticise because of our slow start, but the effect of the injuries must be considered because it’s clearly having a big impact.

He also says he’s 70-80% there with the squad he wants. This season was always going to be a transitional one. Once he can finally get the likes of Burn and Ainge shipped out, and can bring in more cover in defence and a more physical forward, we’ll be just about there. But it’s not going to happen immediately so patience is needed.
Totally agree here Gramps.Wouldn't mind knowing a bit more on Burn,crazy that this guy has not stepped up to the plate with all our problems, AA must have a very valid reason for excluding him from the squad.Wish we could find a club to take him but looks like he cannot give a monkeys about our club.Pathetic.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


HarryCharltonsCat
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:16 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:14 pm
Darlogramps wrote:I’d recommend listening to his interview on the website. He sounds immensely frustrated, understandably so. Some have been quick to criticise because of our slow start, but the effect of the injuries must be considered because it’s clearly having a big impact.

He also says he’s 70-80% there with the squad he wants. This season was always going to be a transitional one. Once he can finally get the likes of Burn and Ainge shipped out, and can bring in more cover in defence and a more physical forward, we’ll be just about there. But it’s not going to happen immediately so patience is needed.
Totally agree here Gramps.Wouldn't mind knowing a bit more on Burn,crazy that this guy has not stepped up to the plate with all our problems, AA must have a very valid reason for excluding him from the squad.Wish we could find a club to take him but looks like he cannot give a monkeys about our club.Pathetic.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
As I've said before, I wish he would come out and say why Burn is excluded. If he has no intention of playing him, whatever our situation, then upsetting him isn't an issue. We'll then know whether or not the sniping ay Burn is justified.

LoidLucan
Posts: 2992
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:39 pm

I wouldn't expect that AA will want to go public in spelling out exactly what has gone on. He won't want a public airing of issues at a time when he has stated that a good spirit has been brought back to the squad. Similarly TW didn't go into the reasons why he sidelined Burn last season. If AA started making public statements about what may be sensitive matters it could also be seen to be unfair to a player who may well then want to put his own side of things into the public arena.

Arseendoffit
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by Arseendoffit » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:43 pm

Maybe Burn is just sitting on his lucrative wage until he retires (from this level) at the end of the season, that would certainly piss me off

HarryCharltonsCat
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:13 pm

We'll never know.

LoidLucan
Posts: 2992
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:28 am

Looks like Storey will line up against Alfreton as Laing is injured and Watson is missing.

Comfortably_numb
Posts: 1911
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:48 am

it'll all come out in the wash. suspect Burns is not in the right mental state to play as opposed to physical fitness.

we're also maybe not in a position to pay up his contract yet - or it's financially better for us (cash flow) to let it run down. There may be other clubs willing to take him on - but no where near the wages he's getting from us - so no chance to move him on.

perhaps he is unable to line up a part time (non footballing job) - to then mutually end his contract with us and play part time for another club lower down the leagues?

lo36789
Posts: 8180
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: New signing

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:56 am

It can be dangerous to assume anything - but I wouldn't expect a player to just walk away from their contract because they are not being picked.

Interesting article about Micah Richards on the BBC today actually about how he has spent so long trying to get fit, and whilst Villa fans think he was sat there just happy to rake in money and not play that was far from the full picture.

spen666
Posts: 1631
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by spen666 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:27 am

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:56 am
....

Interesting article about Micah Richards on the BBC today actually about how he has spent so long trying to get fit, and whilst Villa fans think he was sat there just happy to rake in money and not play that was far from the full picture.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49845993 is that article. It is as you say a very interesting read.

The stand out quote for me was this one:
You don't get taught how to deal with the end of your career
Sums up for me one of the reasons why so many ex players end up in trouble with drink, drugs and or financial problems. When you go from the cameraderie of the dressing room to being alone.

Richards also talks about the medical staff telling him he needn't come in for treatment and that further isolating him.

A lot of what he says isn't perhaps 100% relevant to part time players, but its a good read anyway





As for wanting manager to tell you why Burns is not being selected, it may be a sensible move by AA to remain silent. If he were to criticise player, then it may put others off signing for him in future as they fear he will publicly criticise them.

If its a medical / mental health / family issue, then the manager may not be able to disclose it because of data protection issues, unless player consents to the disclosure of his personal information.

As a fan, obviously you want to know everything, but sometimes other considerations outweigh your desire to know

HarryCharltonsCat
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:09 pm

At the moment, by not saying anything, the inference being taken is that Burn is an unfit, uninterested parasite, stealing a wage doing very little. Perhaps the silence speaks a thousand words. As an owner, perhaps it's not unreasonable to know why one of your most expensive assets is sitting idle whilst a kid on dual registration with a Northern League club comes straight into the squad?

bga
Posts: 1255
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by bga » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:51 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:09 pm
At the moment, by not saying anything, the inference being taken is that Burn is an unfit, uninterested parasite, stealing a wage doing very little. Perhaps the silence speaks a thousand words. As an owner, perhaps it's not unreasonable to know why one of your most expensive assets is sitting idle whilst a kid on dual registration with a Northern League club comes straight into the squad?
Absolutely spot-on. AA rightly points out the awful luck we had with injuries to the squad it's only fair to balance that with a comment on why the contracted player appears to be frozen out?

Emdubya
Posts: 714
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by Emdubya » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:46 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:09 pm
At the moment, by not saying anything, the inference being taken is that Burn is an unfit, uninterested parasite, stealing a wage doing very little. Perhaps the silence speaks a thousand words. As an owner, perhaps it's not unreasonable to know why one of your most expensive assets is sitting idle whilst a kid on dual registration with a Northern League club comes straight into the squad?
Maybe the”kid”has a totally different attitude to Mr Burn and is actually interested in playing for the club.
For two different managers to keep the bloke at arms length says it all to me without a “statement from the board”.

HarryCharltonsCat
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:01 pm

No-one asked for a statement from the board. However, do you know for a fact that it is Burn's unwillingness to play that is behind his omission or is it an attempt to get him to leave early.

lo36789
Posts: 8180
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: New signing

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:16 pm

Yep. Burn could really want to play but we want him off the wage bill and are forcing him out effectively. That he hasn’t found anywhere else is perhaps unfortunate but I wouldn’t expect him to quit otherwise.

Nobody knows the reason and the reason I reference the Richards article is that it’s not helpful to make accusations otherwise.

If we could find somewhere to take him and we pay the difference in wages that might end up being the compromise - again does anyone expect him to just walk away despite being contracted.

In all my years of knowing contractors at work never have I known one walk away before their term is up, even if they have nothing to do, unless they have another contract to go to.

And I am not sure in those circumstances the shareholders received ongoing news on the contract situation of each employee.

HarryCharltonsCat
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:51 am

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:16 pm
Yep. Burn could really want to play but we want him off the wage bill and are forcing him out effectively. That he hasn’t found anywhere else is perhaps unfortunate but I wouldn’t expect him to quit otherwise.

Nobody knows the reason and the reason I reference the Richards article is that it’s not helpful to make accusations otherwise.

If we could find somewhere to take him and we pay the difference in wages that might end up being the compromise - again does anyone expect him to just walk away despite being contracted.

In all my years of knowing contractors at work never have I known one walk away before their term is up, even if they have nothing to do, unless they have another contract to go to.

And I am not sure in those circumstances the shareholders received ongoing news on the contract situation of each employee.
Hardly comparable is it. I doubt those shareholders turn up and pay to watch you work every weekend. If they did, they might wonder why, when there was a job for your highest paid contractor to do, you chose to hire an apprentice to do it instead.

JE93
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signing

Post by JE93 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:04 am

Reported in the Echo that Burn has rejected Wickham in recent weeks.

For me it seems the lad has given up being a footballer. There have been opportunities for him to leave and play and try and resurrect his career whether that be permanently or on loan with us paying the top up on his wages (similar to Ainge) but he has rejected the opportunity. He'd rather just take a wage which unfortunately we're contracted to pay him to the end of the season. Just my opinion but being a footballer isn't a long career, play as much as you can for as long as you can.

Gives me hope for next season once the likes of Burn, the remainder of Ainge's wage has gone, there will be opportunities to improve the base that we have.

Post Reply