Josh Heaton

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Breedon
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by Breedon » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:14 am

Lot of people taking the easy option and bashing Heaton here. He's been no worse than the other two preferred choice centre backs this season. He's been hung out to dry a bit. Armstrong couldn't wait to jump to Laing's defense when he got a bit of stick early doors, but has himself put the boot into Heaton pretty significantly.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 am

Don't think I ever want to see us have to play Watson at centre back... he does not look of the build to do it.

Atkinson, yes.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:17 am

Don't think this is the cleverest move to let Josh go & I don't think he got a decent chance. Not the wisest move by Armstrong.

piggy

Post by piggy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:34 am

I would make a guess there has been a falling out behind the scenes. Im led to believe Heaton's attitude has been called in to question previously. Shame as obviously the lad is talented. Still has plenty of time on his side to carve out a career in the game.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Beano wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:06 pm
It is a shame, but the one position we are overstocked in is centre backs
Are we?

Burn has been shunned so we have two players who normally play centre back, and two players who can cover there (Watson and Atkinson) but centre back isn't their primary position.

Two average centre backs, and a midfielder and full back who can cover in emergency is not overstocked in my book.

Now if we want to talk about overstocking, let's talk about midfielders.
Armstrong was part of the Hodgson squad that had about 15 central midfielders. Maybe he's got it from him?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:42 pm

AA today said he asked Heaton to be patient and his chance will come, and of course he would have got it today, but he wasn't prepared to give it time, like he said he would at the beginning.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:52 am

With Laing going off injured & Tez holding his hamstring, Heaton's departure could not have come at a worse time. AA is going to have to come up with something very soon to stop our slide. Defence still leaking like a sieve & lacking goals up front, does not bode well.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:15 am

I fear the answer may be to risk a scratch team in the fa Cup and try to get some players fit over the next two weeks.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:07 am

Seems crazy that we have an ex football league centre half who doesn't play and haven't we loaned that young lad out ( can't for the life of me remember his name) Volks? Hopefully we have enough to make a fist of it next week.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:17 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:07 am
Seems crazy that we have an ex football league centre half who doesn't play and haven't we loaned that young lad out ( can't for the life of me remember his name) Volks? Hopefully we have enough to make a fist of it next week.
Vaulks is long gone and from what I’ve heard Burn would rather go out on the piss than play football.Desperate times but confident AA will sort the job out.
Last edited by Emdubya on Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:19 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:07 am
Vaulks signed for Shildon. Don’t know if we got a few for him though. I’m nervous about next week we need a good cup run and to get some prize money in!

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:55 am

I see that Burn was being put through his paces yesterday after the game was over. Did several circuits of the pitch and up and down as well. Any chance he might be considered for next week?

divas

Post by divas » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:02 am

I guess it’ll depend how he trains and whether he looks as though he can step up. He looked a liability when he played last season and that was when he was in the squad regularly. 9 months out won’t have made him a better player.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:22 am

Cheers. He must have had something about him to play in the league. Fingers crossed we get through on Saturday.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:43 pm

I think AA should give Burn a shot - we are paying his wages after all.
We have seen with Tait that he has turned his fortunes around under Watson.
With Heaton ultimately he knew he was third choice and I doubt that would have changed for the foreseeable, waiting for an injury to happen.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:50 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:22 am
Cheers. He must have had something about him to play in the league.
Yes, an ability to play right back.

Something which he was never considered for at York and Darlo.

I've suggested a few times that maybe, just maybe, we should give him a crack at right back, tell him this is the time to prove himself, and see what happens. We are after all paying him. And he clearly ain't going anywhere.

That said, only the management knows what's going on behind the scenes so perhaps there are good reasons for freezing him out.

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:03 pm

Burn isn’t the answer.

The guy is a waste of space and has no interest in getting in shape and playing. Only interested in picking up his wage packet.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:13 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:50 pm
don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:22 am
Cheers. He must have had something about him to play in the league.
Yes, an ability to play right back.

Something which he was never considered for at York and Darlo.

I've suggested a few times that maybe, just maybe, we should give him a crack at right back, tell him this is the time to prove himself, and see what happens. We are after all paying him. And he clearly ain't going anywhere.

That said, only the management knows what's going on behind the scenes so perhaps there are good reasons for freezing him out.
This.

I'd love to know what is actually happening with Burn.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:13 pm

DFCAnth wrote:Burn isn’t the answer.

The guy is a waste of space and has no interest in getting in shape and playing. Only interested in picking up his wage packet.
If this is the case do the club not have a case for cancelling his contract.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:50 pm

Be interesting to see Ray interview Burn to clarify the situation.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:51 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:50 pm
Be interesting to see Ray interview Burn to clarify the situation.

“Hi Ray , yes I just want to collect a wage and not bothered about playing”.

Saved Ray and Kev a job.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:39 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:43 pm
I think AA should give Burn a shot - we are paying his wages after all.
We have seen with Tait that he has turned his fortunes around under Watson.
With Heaton ultimately he knew he was third choice and I doubt that would have changed for the foreseeable, waiting for an injury to happen.
Didn't AA ask for patience? Heaton did not have to wait long for an injury to happen🤔

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:11 am

With Burn, training by himself after the game, wonder if he feels he will get a chance now to prove "us" wrong. Let's be honest Burn has taken some stick and I am sure AA realises that and impact it can have on a player and the team, (I am not saying Burn played really well, but he did have limited opportunity in my mind, and realise that York did not keep him because he was suspect in the air, plus his wage must be an irritation to AA). But may be, just may be, he wants to prove us wrong if he gets a chance, and lets be honest he will need to, because his contract is up at the end of the season and if he is not playing what chance does he have of getting another club, so he needs to start showing some form if he wants to stay in football.

Plus we are limited on our options at the moment, especially is Tez is also struggling. Can't believe how unlucky AA has been.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Burn will get his chance at Trafford.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:05 pm

Perhaps AA could clarify whether Burn has shown any interest or not in getting fit and playing. At least then we'd know whether all these comments are based on some evidence, or just baseless slagging. Always had a mistake in him when he played last season, but then, so have all those who've played this season.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:33 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:15 am
I fear the answer may be to risk a scratch team in the fa Cup and try to get some players fit over the next two weeks.
Absolutely not. The league season is over as far as play-offs are concerned, and I'm not too worried about relegation (at the moment). What we desperately need is an influx of cash - the FA Cup is extremely important to us. We can't afford to put a scratch team out - we're not guaranteed to win with our best available first team at the moment.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:45 pm

Ridiculous to say the playoffs are over, this league is wide open, we are still in September, a couple of players will be back soon from injury and still have 30 or so games to go.Totally disagree with your comment.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:07 pm

Got to agree with Quakerman on this one. While I don't think our season success is dependent on finishing in the playoffs, they are far from out of reach. For context, Stockport had 12 points before the first FA cup fixture last season, Blyth only had 7 points at the same point. Both went on to have very successful years. Plenty of football still to be played and opportunities to move up into mid-table and the top half. If you can do that, the extension of the playoffs down to 7th keeps things interesting and achievable towards the end of the season.

I do completely agree with you though, we can't afford to risk the FA cup pay day on not playing our strongest team available. The financial rewards are too crucial to the club, and although I'm tempting fate here, we're playing a team two divisions below and have been given a good opportunity to get through to the next round, build some confidence and get some goals.

Hopefully Liddle will be back after being on the bench, he might be required as we might need Watson to play CB with Galbraith. Hedley seemed to do well at RB so probably same again. Not sure what is now keeping Atkinson out to know if he has a chance of being fit for the weekend, Hedley at RB and good cover in midfield means we probably don't need to risk him. Hopefully O'Neill will be fit enough to come back in, as we really need his physical presence in the side. Still more than enough in that team to win the game, just think we need a bit of luck with these injuries and a bit of confidence both at the back and upfront.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:15 pm

I think the broader point is that the playoffs have not (externally at least) been mooted as a target. Only the standard pre-season enthusiasm got a few people forgetting the period of transition necessary and starting to dream of a top 7 challenge. The reality is that will take time and the injury-clusterfuck has only extended this.

The FA Cup however is bloody massive for us, and for me right now bigger than the league. We must put everything we can in progressing in the competition. Progress brings with it prize money, extra ties and some of those vibes our neighbours up the road seem to value so much.

I honestly think we will clamber the league in good time and finish in the region of 11-14th. That plus a Cup run would for me constitute a decent season, with foundations being laid for the next.

So none of this scratch team at Trafford for me: put our best available team out and accept it may have some consequences for upcoming league games. Even if we were to rest players, knowing our luck they'd end up hospitalised through domestic injuries walking the dog, cleaning the upstairs windows or slipping on a recently-mopped, Cillit-Bang-fresh kitchen floor.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:44 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:33 pm
Absolutely not. The league season is over as far as play-offs are concerned
Bizarre statement.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!