Darlo v York

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by onewayup » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:55 am

spen666 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:29 pm
onewayup wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:51 pm
Don't think they york were that much better Darlington today, I think york will not be promoted because I saw nothing special about them, bang average and will maybe make top 8. They have had a good start,I just can't see them as champions.
You are virtually the only person I have heard this season with so little praise for York. Most people I have heard have said they are head & shoulders above the rest.

I've not seen them so i can't comment one way or the other
As you say spen you haven't seen them, I post what I believe to be correct, had york been that much better then I would have said so, york fans themselves said that we were the best team that they have played upto now remember half of our first teamers are out injured, so for me I stand by what I said.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:09 am

York were functional and will be one of the top teams due to consistency but agree not a stand out team. Defensively they were solid enough with the 3 CB's, midfield reasonable but didn't overrun us in any way, forward line with Burrows and Kempster they could keep the ball up the field with long ball and bringing others into play (something we can't do, especially without O'Neill).

All in all York will be one of the top teams but they will have a battle from Chester for top spot, should really be Spenny competing for that top spot also.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:40 am

They have more injuries than we do and that was a makeshift side they put out.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:48 am

OnTheTerraces wrote:They have more injuries than we do and that was a makeshift side they put out.
Bigger squad than ours, bigger budget,full time.Are you not taking these into account?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:22 am

OnTheTerraces wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:40 am
Are you sure you’re a Darlo supporter?

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Darlo v York

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:23 am

Its a rebuild season, just stay up and maybe just maybe win a cup game will do me this season.

Some money from a cup run could boost funds a bit too.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:34 am

Emdubya wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:22 am
OnTheTerraces wrote:
Very negative again John

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:36 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:43 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:22 pm
Hatfield should have been man of the match he never stopped running afraid I don`t know why Thommo get`s it as in recent games don`t think he has been up to his usual standard. Thought we deserved something from game today but as everyone knows we have no cutting edge up front so once we concede game over.
Thommo was poor yet again & Hatfield was by far our best player. Galbraith to blame for the first & Elliott to blame for the second, with a poor punch.
Who got Motm Pete???

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
MOTM decided by Steve McClaren, if my ears didn't deceive me. Probably has more football knowledge than the average Darlo fan - and a better view of the game.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:53 am

OnTheTerraces wrote:
7 of the players starting yesterday started the first game of the season, 2 of the subs in the first game of the season started v Darlo and 1 sub from 1st game came off the bench also came off the bench v Darlo.

Starting players missing who played 1st game were Griffiths, McNulty, Bond and Maguire we have Liddle, Trotman, Atkinson & O'Neill injured then Liddle came on for injured Laing. Doesn't seem much difference other than they have a bigger more experienced squad.

York are functional and will either finish 1st or 2nd it's between them and Chester for me, it's the defence and only letting in 6 goals that gives them the platform in every game.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:01 pm

Emdubya wrote:
OnTheTerraces wrote:
No, he is a troll

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:15 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:23 am
Its a rebuild season, just stay up and maybe just maybe win a cup game will do me this season.

Some money from a cup run could boost funds a bit too.
Fair comment I think. This time last year things started to go wrong with Stockport at home after a poor show but I think things can only get better now - gradually maybe haltingly but there's realism in the air so hopefully we shouldn't have anymore gentleman's disagreements on the threads.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:38 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:36 am
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:
Hatfield should have been man of the match he never stopped running afraid I don`t know why Thommo get`s it as in recent games don`t think he has been up to his usual standard. Thought we deserved something from game today but as everyone knows we have no cutting edge up front so once we concede game over.
Thommo was poor yet again & Hatfield was by far our best player. Galbraith to blame for the first & Elliott to blame for the second, with a poor punch.
Who got Motm Pete???

MOTM decided by Steve McClaren, if my ears didn't deceive me. Probably has more football knowledge than the average Darlo fan - and a better view of the game.
You say that, but, with all due respect to Thommo who was steady away and grafted hard, McClaren was categorically wrong.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:25 pm

Emdubya wrote:
OnTheTerraces wrote:
Sunderland, I think.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Well, overall I couldn't fault the effort yesterday.

We were up against a full time club with a million pound budget yesterday, would have been nice to batter them, but alas.

We just don't have enough cutting edge up front against teams as strong as York, and O'Neill and the 4-4-2 formation was badly missed. I dunno how we are going to solve this problem of gifting a goal to the opposition every match, it's not something you will recover from against a side like York. It's not as if we can chuck vibes around and bring in a new defence either.

More worrying is who can play in defence if Laing is out for a while?

Talking of defenders, I noticed Johnny Burn in the tunnel yesterday at the end of the match, in his Darlo tracksuit and looking all happy. Shaking the hands of the York players, having a bit of a catch up with one or two of them.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:39 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:51 pm
Don't think they york were that much better Darlington today, I think york will not be promoted because I saw nothing special about them, bang average and will maybe make top 8.
They are obviously title winning material from what I saw. Worst case scenario and they start having wobbles, they'll still be top 2 or 3.

This was a straight forward easy win for them and they coasted.

I'm amazed at how many fans can't recognise good teams in front of their eyes, and under-rate them if they aren't playing spectacular champagne football. Sure it's nice to see great football, but performances like yesterday are exactly what wins titles. Consistently grinding out results week in week out.

Maybe make top 8 - my arse.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:55 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:
Who got Motm Pete???

Well look who picked MOTM, need I say anymore!!!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:48 am

Not really mentioned on here but thought Hedley had a very decent game, kept Ferguson fairly quiet and looked pretty solid.I would keep him there and with Liddle looking like he is coming back, then that should be the full backs sorted.
Atkinson hopefully can slot into midfield and with O'Neill back that looks more like a team that can get a good result this Saturday

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:03 am

Hatfield was far the best player on the pitch and by far our best signing in recent times , I've watched this lad for a few years and was looking forward to seeing him last season when we played at Guiseley.. Saturday you could see he was getting frustrated with his team mates because they weren't on the same wave length, if we are not careful I can see someone coming in for him.. York maybe!!! Bloody hope not

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:08 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:55 pm
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:
Who got Motm Pete???

Well look who picked MOTM, need I say anymore!!!

M.O.T.M is subjective, however I would point out that up on the balcony you get a much better view of the match, and a much better understanding of what's happening in the game as a whole. In fact it's the only place in the "stadium" that offers an enjoyable, proper vantage point - and people who get up there on a regular basis are lucky.

I hope it's not too controversial to suggest that perhaps a lot of us at Blackwell Meadows have probably learnt to get used to a crap view.

To those who disagree, either pay the extra one match to experience the difference, or take in a match somewhere else.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:54 am

Wheatley MOTM for me on Saturday. I didn't need to be on a balcony to see that. Delighted he's back and him & Hatfield are some pairing in the middle of the park.

Frustrating on Saturday that we went toe-to-toe with a FT, 2nd placed club with more £££ to play with than us, and threw away at least a point through our own stupidity. Neither Galbraith nor Elliott covered themselves in glory with their first goal. Not much could be done about the finish for the second, I guess.

Injuries and sloppy defending that costs goals appears to be a recurring theme so far this season. Annoying because I think AA is a great appointment and, maybe one or two aside, his signings have been positive - Hatfield, Armstrong, Rivers, Liddle, O'Neill, Atkinson, etc, etc, are all a notch up from most of TW's recruitment.

I'm sure it will all pan out. I'd happily take mid-table this season if it meant a strong platform for a bigger push next season.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:10 pm

football really is fine margins. There were a few things that didn't go for us:

1. The ball hitting the post and bouncing out. Centremetres one way and we'd have been 1 up
2. CB getting injured. This meant that we had 2 left footed CBs, with one of them only being 5'10 or 5'11 i would guess (up against 2 giants)
3. Galbraith gave the ball away for their first. He knows he made a mistake, so no point dwelling too much
4. Not having a man on the edge of the box from a corner. I thought this was fairly standard.

York had a few missing too. Think Mcnulty (CB), Maguire (CF) and Bond (CM) were all big players missing

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:14 pm

I agree I thought Hedley had a really good game overall and Harry is right Hatfield did look frustrated at the end of the game, feel a touch of sympathy for him as I think some one on the forum that he was a non contract player, so these defeats could be costing him a few quid (and the others of course), but he also looks like a "winner" type of person.

Not too disappointed to date to be honest as it will surely turn around, plus we will have saved some budget on win bonus payouts😁

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:44 pm

After listening to A As after match interview I think I am right on what I stated earlier in the post.we more than matched them ,but we weren't clinical enough in front of goal that was the only difference. They will hit the buffers
At some point in the season.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:03 pm

No, you're still wrong. York will be top three at least. No way they don't make the playoffs.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:46 pm

Time will tell, we can't all be right. Ha,ha,

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:57 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:03 pm
No, you're still wrong. York will be top three at least. No way they don't make the playoffs.

I agree, they can afford to strengthen later on in the run, they have a good manager, failure this season is not on the agenda.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:32 am

D_F_C wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:10 pm
football really is fine margins. There were a few things that didn't go for us:

1. The ball hitting the post and bouncing out. Centremetres one way and we'd have been 1 up
2. CB getting injured. This meant that we had 2 left footed CBs, with one of them only being 5'10 or 5'11 i would guess (up against 2 giants)
3. Galbraith gave the ball away for their first. He knows he made a mistake, so no point dwelling too much
4. Not having a man on the edge of the box from a corner. I thought this was fairly standard.

York had a few missing too. Think Mcnulty (CB), Maguire (CF) and Bond (CM) were all big players missing
Seeing how good their number 9 is, its really annoying they've signed Maguire because they definitely don't need him. If he's struggling to adjust to full time football, for the love of God send him up the road on loan!!!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:41 am

Maguire is out injured isn't he?

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:32 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:41 am
Maguire is out injured isn't he?
Then he needs to play to get back to fitness :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:42 pm

Unfortunately I think the plans to add another striker now have to take a back seat to address the defensive crisis if Laing's injury on Saturday was anything more than a bad cramp...we're not even down to the bare bones anymore, the vital organs are exposed!