Darlo v York

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quaker85
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v York

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:09 pm

Definitely competed but I got the impression they were happy to let us have plenty of possession without believing we could hurt them. And so it was.

Too professional and organised for us today. They’re destined for higher things. As for us, we have easier battles to fight and win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:23 pm

Just got back in but was in hospitality today which was very good however I expected it to be rammed but only about half full also without an official match sponsor which for our key match is worrying.

sada8022

Post by sada8022 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:32 pm

Too expensive

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:51 pm

Don't think they york were that much better Darlington today, I think york will not be promoted because I saw nothing special about them, bang average and will maybe make top 8. They have had a good start,I just can't see them as champions.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:53 pm

I’d disagree. They were clinical is both boxes which is what wins you matches and leagues. We’re great until we get to both boxes.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:57 pm

I thought we more than matched them today, a full time team who are unbeaten, and if Rivers or Thommo shots had gone in at 0-0 who knows. York fans I was with thought we had the better chances. Losing laing at 0-0 was a blow and team pre-arranged does not help, especially as Galbraith was also rubbing his hamstring. Again another silly mistake cost us the first goal as usual and not good when confidence low.
How Armstrong manages now with these injuries is going to be difficult. But I still have confidence this will be pulled around.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:05 pm

Fine margins.Campbell has one come back off a post and Galbraith drops an almighty bollock to gift them a goal.No way were they 2goals better than us but that’s all people will see.That said,we have next to fuck all goal threat in that team.Really decent possession and approach play up to 30 yards out and then it all falls apart.
Hopefully Armstrong gets some joy in getting a couple in this week but who is he going to go for ?.It was going to be a big forward but now Laing is injured and Galbraith was holding his hamstring for the last 10 minutes.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:23 pm

divas wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:53 pm
I’d disagree. They were clinical is both boxes which is what wins you matches and leagues. We’re great until we get to both boxes.
Not only that, the finances to bring in some new/fresh players for the last part of the season, to see the job through. Like Gray used to do with us.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Holmes
Trotman
O’Neill
Atkinson
Laing

All injured

Liddle not 100% fit
Galbraith not 100% fit

Are we the most jinxed club ever?

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:37 pm

O’Neill and Liddle back for the next league match.

Thommo on the left to replace Holmes, with O’Neill signrd to play through the middle.

Atkinson replaced by Wheatley.

Right back signed to cover Trotman’s injury.

I think people need to look at the facts.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:41 pm

Disappointed with the loss and the injury situation but it’s important to remember that this is a rebuilding exercise and were only in mid September.

Still buy into AA philosophy. Light years ahead of the TW regime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:51 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:37 pm
O’Neill and Liddle back for the next league match.

Thommo on the left to replace Holmes, with O’Neill signrd to play through the middle.

Atkinson replaced by Wheatley.

Right back signed to cover Trotman’s injury.

I think people need to look at the facts.
Aye, but. Is the quality of those replacements the same at the original player? I’d say, on all counts, no.

On top of that, is Liddle properly fit? It’s a knee injury, and they’re notorious for repeat injuries if not fully recovered. I’m concerned. Especially after Atkinson knacking himself while playing carrying an injury.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Darlington are surely unlucky with injury problems, but buy into Armstrongs philosophy I think he will turn it round as players overcome their injuries, he's been desperately unlucky, smile things can only get better.
These players today worked their socks off,unfortunately
A mistake cost us for the first goal but at the moment that's how it's going. Heads up lads did enough today to at least get a point I thought anyway.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:06 pm

I'm struggling a bit that Holliday is on the bench. I've not had the benefit of seeing him play but isn't he a right back? If he's decent enough surely that's better than a square peg in a round hole? Not a criticism! Amazingly bad luck with the injuries.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:12 pm

We do have lots of luck, just happens to be all bad :cry:

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:20 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:06 pm
I'm struggling a bit that Holliday is on the bench. I've not had the benefit of seeing him play but isn't he a right back? If he's decent enough surely that's better than a square peg in a round hole? Not a criticism! Amazingly bad luck with the injuries.
He is a young kid and AA has said he wouldn't throw him in to a pressure game, so clearly doesn't think he can handle it just yet especially in a big game. Nothing else AA can say unless he just bluntly says the lad currently isn't good enough or ready for first team football in his opinion.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:26 pm

Fair enough but why sit him on the bench?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:29 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:51 pm
Don't think they york were that much better Darlington today, I think york will not be promoted because I saw nothing special about them, bang average and will maybe make top 8. They have had a good start,I just can't see them as champions.
You are virtually the only person I have heard this season with so little praise for York. Most people I have heard have said they are head & shoulders above the rest.

I've not seen them so i can't comment one way or the other

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:44 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:26 pm
Fair enough but why sit him on the bench?
Looks better than only having 4 subs and if by magic we are 3-0 up he can get 10 mins.

Same for Bell really, Morrison, Stansfield etc.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:58 pm

Armstrong did say he did not want to put the youngsters on while the team was struggling as it impacts them as young lads, and I think he is right when confidence is low although I would like to see Bell have a run out, especially when Thommo starts to tire later in the game, I quite liked the look of him pre season going forward and covering back.

As for York, talking to a few of their fans, they don't think they have played particularly well most of this season but things are going for them at the moment. Just hope we get the bit of luck for a few games so the players can get there confidence built up and go into games expecting to score and not give away easy goals.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:02 pm

The sooner AA gets his CF the better. Felt really sorry for Campbell who had no support. but still put a good shift in. If the shot that hit their far post had gone in instead of bouncing out, it could have been a totally different result, instead, within minutes York had taken their chance and left us to chase the game, only to be suckered by another breakaway goal. Not sure how much this was also down to the loss of Laing as until he left the field, the defence looked sound even though Elliot had already brilliantly stopped a clear 1 on 1 chance to keep us in it. Rivers still not finding that killer pass or having a shot having got passed his first man. We looked more positive when Rivers & Thommo switched wings in 2nd half.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:07 pm

I think I'm one of those stay away fans referred to earlier, (due to distance and commitments rather than choice) so today was only the second game I've seen this season. But I saw quite a few matches last season and on today's performance I'd definitely return for more; the team is light years ahead of previous. A draw today would have been a fair result and I think those who have commented about deficiencies in the final third are probably right. I was glad Thompson got the man of the match award, this player really is a safe pair of hands when he gets the ball, he always seems to do something intelligent with it and has great skill, he just seems to get better all the time. Felt sorry for the guy standing next to me who got the ball thumped hard in to his chest and had the wind knocked out of him, but good that the York player who did it called over to ask if he was OK. I thought the match was played in a good sporting spirit and the officials were fine. Poor result today but a good performance notwithstanding the injuries.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:17 pm

Felt really sorry for the lads today, worked their socks off' gave everything but getting no luck whatsoever, not just with injuries either.If that shot had gone in off the post then we have a totally different game, thought we were getting the measure of them in the 2nd half until we lost Laing and the mistake from Tez, they hardly troubled Elliott other than the 2 goals
We need Campbell to feed off a big target man which is painfully obvious and just a pity O'Neill was injured but we need him back next week for the cup game.
AA will get it right, every confidence in him, and to push a full time team with a large squad and massive budget all the way with 5 or 6 players out speaks for itself.Deserved a point today at the very least and surely to god we can have a change of luck pretty soon.Next week would be nice for starters.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:22 pm

Hatfield should have been man of the match he never stopped running afraid I don`t know why Thommo get`s it as in recent games don`t think he has been up to his usual standard. Thought we deserved something from game today but as everyone knows we have no cutting edge up front so once we concede game over.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:25 pm

darlo reborn wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:22 pm
Hatfield should have been man of the match he never stopped running afraid I don`t know why Thommo get`s it as in recent games don`t think he has been up to his usual standard. Thought we deserved something from game today but as everyone knows we have no cutting edge up front so once we concede game over.
Thommo was poor yet again & Hatfield was by far our best player. Galbraith to blame for the first & Elliott to blame for the second, with a poor punch.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:40 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:25 pm
darlo reborn wrote:
Thommo was poor yet again & Hatfield was by far our best player. Galbraith to blame for the first & Elliott to blame for the second, with a poor punch.
Thommo wasn't poor, he had a decent enough game 1st half and gave their right back a very tough game.

Agree on Hatfield though he was excellent.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:53 pm

Thommo had an excellent first half, caused all sort of problems. Faded a bit in second half. I agree Hatfield would have been my man of the match for full game, but don't think anyone had a bad game. Thought Elliott did ok to get to the ball to punch it when it was a dangerous position and up against big york players (although a bit farther would have been better not sure he had a clear opportunity on the punch), defence should have closed player down, losing Laing was a key moment. Galbraith has been caught like that several times in the past, thinking he can get past the player but forgetting no one is behind him to cover, but it was the only mistake he made I thought.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:17 pm

Gateshead and Altrincham we conceded then drew and conceded against Blyth but came back to win....

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:43 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:
Who got Motm Pete???

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:49 am

Was probably the most positive I've felt after a loss yesterday. Some of the criticism is predictable but unfair. We're going to be down to non defenders playing in defense, we can't get a steady back 4 together and confidence is low, as well as still struggling with the after effects of the absurd schedule the league gave everyone, including clubs like us who don't have the money for a 30 man squad.

People love throwing around the old cliches like "the excuses have to stop" but sometimes its not even excuses, its just saying what's happened. We do have injuries and we are in a false position. We're a far better team than the table is showing and need to be patient, stick with it and we'll be steady away this season. Rebuilding season where the priority is improvement in terms of entertainment, quality of football, fan and community interaction and results. We've done most of that, bad errors and horrific bad luck has stopped the results. We'll get there. If we can run the best team in the league with the biggest crowds and biggest squad that close, I'm not worried.