Gloucester V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Gloucester V Darlington

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:22 am

Hopefully a bit of confidence has returned to the team after the Blyth win.

HarrytheQuaker

Re: Gloucester V Darlington

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:31 am

They concede goals and so do we so 0-0 then...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:35 am

Important we don't expect too much, or too little, from any game this season. There will be downs and ups. We are not going to gain promotion. We will not be relegated. Middle of the pack by April.
As for this game, my gut says we will narrowly lose out... but, perhaps, that's expecting too little!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:19 am

I’d take a point right now. We need to sort this away form out. Just not losing will be a start.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:40 am

If Laing and Tez start we should be ok. Heaton has been worse than Burn.

1-1 I think today.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:59 am

If we could not give any silly goals away I fancy us to win

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:43 pm

A bit harsh to single Heaton out, Galbraith Laing and Watson have also been culpable for a few of the goals. Heaton is not fully match fit and hasn't had a preseason to familiarise himself with others yet.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:51 pm

1-1 ht Campbell with our goal

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:58 pm

Still seem fragile defensively, dealing with crosses not great according to DFR and Omar having a mixed game.We seem good going forward so cannot see this ending 1-1.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:36 pm

2.1 down.
Can we start a Buy a Forward fund.?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:41 pm

We allowed their LB to go half the length of the field and get a cross in that led to the goal, poor defending yet again.Got to sort our defence out, far too similar to last season.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:00 pm

2-1 FT.Poor game, injuries really hitting home now and York next week.Not looking great.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:11 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:36 pm
2.1 down.
Campbell has 5 already doesn't he?

I'd be more interested in funding a defensive coach at this rate. This has become really worrying form away from home. It doesn't seem like we play particularly poorly, but we leak stupid goals and don't score enough to cover for it.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:19 pm

Did Hedley play well at right back?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:23 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:Did Hedley play well at right back?
Played in midfield, Omar was RB.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:45 pm

H1987 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:11 pm
Emdubya wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:36 pm
2.1 down.
Campbell has 5 already doesn't he?

I'd be more interested in funding a defensive coach at this rate. This has become really worrying form away from home. It doesn't seem like we play particularly poorly, but we leak stupid goals and don't score enough to cover for it.
“don’t score enough to cover for it “
Hence my post :|

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:50 pm

Reading the Echo report it seems that it was two poor sides and we were unlucky to have a massive deselection for the winning goal.

Great crowd hopefully for the York match.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:00 pm

That's a fair summary. We looked very short in key areas, particularly at full back. Losing o'neill, presumably to injury, pretty much did for us as Campbell was very isolated after that. Morrison came on but he understandably didn't look ready for first team football, despite looking a big strong lad. Hatfield played well, laing was good bringing the ball out of defence.

We lacked a bit of intensity when we should have been stepping it up late on, possibly because of confidence, possibly because we've played so many games and our squad is depleted.

We need Atkinson and liddle back ASAP, and if we can get another forward in it would be a help.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:16 pm

Well 10 games in are we any better off than last season?? .injuries and international call ups ,aside would we have gained more point with the full squad available for every game uptill now.?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:30 pm

I think we are better. We're fitter, we have players for each designated position, our players understand their roles, we have more strength in depth. I think from looking at it today we need to move the ball quicker, some of the players still need to improve their understanding, others need to adapt to the way Armstrong wants to play (galbraith possibly a good example).

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:31 pm

Also, we were proper, proper garbage last season.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:52 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:16 pm
Well 10 games in are we any better off than last season?? .injuries and international call ups ,aside would we have gained more point with the full squad available for every game uptill now.?
11 points vs 10.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Didn't deserve to lose that. But We didn't deserve to win it either.

Two fairly average sides. Didn't think they offered a lot going forward. Their left winger was threatening, decent player, but certainly helped by the fact that Holness isn't a natural right back. Often caught out of position but I thought his work rate throughout the game was good. Their left back was probably their best player, kept quiet whichever of Thompson or Rivers was on his side.

We still hand out presents. Either just dwardling on the ball or going fo big diagonal that just aren't on and invite pressure onto us. Gloucester first came from such a present, failure to take control of the situation on the edge of our box and get a proper header or clearance away before it finally came to their striker and he put in in the bottom corner on the half volley. Maybe Elliott could have done a bit better but hard to say definitively from where I was standing. Their second goal, you could argue someone should have just taken a yellow and brought down their left back as he took the ball forwards. After that. Their lad has hit one from the edge of the box, not sure if it was even on target but it's taken a massive deflection and gone in the opposite corner. Could have gone anywhere.

As for us. We are badly missing Liddle and Trotman , fullbacks who are confident on the ball and can bring it forward and support the wide players. Too often the only option forwards is the long diagonal. As for the Rest of the pitch O'Neill going off killed us, he's the one that makes the ball stick upfront. After he went off Campbell looked isolated. Thommo had a bad day, he didn't look fit tbh, Bell should have been given a chance earlier as barring the shot which Campbell grabbed the goal from he didn't really create much. Hatfield was full of energy as always a really consistent performer, thought Laing was pretty good too today.

Hopefully now with one game a week, we should get some players back and freshen us up. Tez was on the floor during the warm up having about 5 minutes of physio / stretching on his hamstring/ glute. Watson is apparently suffering from a similar issue.

It's not where we wanted to be in regards to league position but in terms of progression we are a million miles ahead of last season. The lads are fit, turning up for training, putting effort in, and have a clear game plan. Our home form shows we can compete in this league. We need to cut out the mistakes, make sure we're in it with a chance of winning. But I'm willing to give Armstong time, were trying to play positive attacking football and I'm happy to stick with it while he refines it.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:11 pm

Whatever happened to Gary Brown? Couldn't he come back for us again? Where is he?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:19 pm

As a side issue we went to York today, expecting them to look all slick and threatening, but they were nothing special and should have lost if not for a farcical balls up by the Southport goalie.

It seems that York are trying to get the first game at their new stadium to be against us!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:48 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:Whatever happened to Gary Brown? Couldn't he come back for us again? Where is he?
South Shields

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:02 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:11 pm
Whatever happened to Gary Brown? Couldn't he come back for us again? Where is he?
Seriously? Do people not remember that Brown struggled at NLN?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:15 pm

He was a key part of our highest placed team since demotion so he can't have been that bad. His spirit would be welcome if nothing else.

However, did I read he had a heart scare at shields? Is he still playing?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:02 pm

Brown's long throw-ins could strike panic into some defences, but if the opposition could keep cool then a long ball would have caught GB upfield so we were sometimes caught on the break. Great servant to the club but we need a new version for the future.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:04 am

Didn’t get to this one so can’t really comment on the play.
Looking forward to York game where I’m sure they will bring 600 fans or more so should at least be a good atmosphere but can’t see us winning.