Darlington V Blyth

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Ghost_Of_1883
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Blyth

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:24 am

en passant wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:59 am
O'Neill is most certainly a forward, but better than that a very good footballer who carries the ball well when surrounded by opponents. I have been amazed how often he manages to come away with the ball when it looks as if there is no way out. And he gives 100 per cent, which shows in the way he has to drag himself through the last few moments of the game and is collapsed after it is over. Had we had an option to do so you would imagine he might have been replaced late on yesterday, but we were in no position, bench wise, to do so.
Absolutely, he is going from strength to strength.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:30 am

A win is a win. Sounds very much like we deserved it with the number of chances created and as others have said. We'll take a few scrapier wins for now while we get some players back from injury. Fear for Blyth. Cutting you cloth is hard, cutting your cloth and appointing a manager with a fairly poor record everywhere he's been must be even harder. Hope they can turn it around and stay up the more northern games we can have in this division the better.

Good to see Wheatley back and credit to him for getting himself through 90 minutes after such a long while out. Sounded like another good night for O'Neill he is one of the key members of that attacking 4 at the moment, one that makes the ball stick high up the pitch.

Think the full back injuries have really hurt us. We sounded a lot more dangerous when Omar was over lapping past Rivers. Had we had, Trotman and Liddle flying round the outside in these games, it might have just helped us overload a few teams. Let the likes of Thompson and Rivers get in the box without the fear of losing the team width.

Just one more game to get through on saturday and then the remainder of the season is basically one game a week. Feel for the lads, the injury situation and now international call ups has basically meant no rest for a fair few players in a hectic opening to the season. Hopefully we can get a result on Saturday against a Gloucester side even more generous at the back than us. 20 conceded in their 9 games.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:45 am

JE93 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:30 am

Sounded like another good night for O'Neill he is one of the key members of that attacking 4 at the moment, one that makes the ball stick high up the pitch.
Attacking 2. In a 4-4-2.

The other 2 in your "attacking 4", we call them "wingers".

It was so 4-4-2 last night that a 3 year old could have identified it.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:50 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:45 am
JE93 wrote:

Sounded like another good night for O'Neill he is one of the key members of that attacking 4 at the moment, one that makes the ball stick high up the pitch.
Attacking 2. In a 4-4-2.

Your obsession is becoming unhealthy.

Do wingers not attack? Are they not attacking players? Is that not their primary role on the pitch regardless of what formation you believe we play. As I said... the attacking 4.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:01 am

I thought the lads played well under difficult circumstances, it was a must win game will nerves jangling, they came through it in the end with a deserved win. And there will be more games like that this season,

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:06 am

JE93 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:50 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
JE93 wrote:

Attacking 2. In a 4-4-2.

Do wingers not attack? Are they not attacking players? Is that not their primary role on the pitch regardless of what formation you believe we play. As I said... the attacking 4.
Wingers don't attack in the same way that the front 2 do, no. That's why we call them "wingers" and a "front 2". They have separate roles.

Rivers was hugging the touchline last night just like Stanley Matthews.

Your forwards are in and around the box trying to get on the end of chances, and the wingers are wider trying to create chances. Wingers are of course allowed to take shots themselves and score goals as well, but then so are defenders and midfielders.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:18 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:15 am
Two fans talking on the way out of the match were saying that although this was O'Neill's best game yet, they are still yet to be convinced by him?! One of them said that they would like to see him replaced with an on loan forward! He IS a forward, you utter morons - and in my opinion a good one who is getting better. Anyone fancy owning up to being those two? Anyone agree with what they say? I fancy an argument.

I'm Brian, and so is my wife ;)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:52 am

OnTheTerraces wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:30 pm
You can’t include Bascome as Wheatley is much better and Donawa is a sub! I also doubt Holmes would star .. in his two games he was very ineffective.

So only Trotman and Liddle missing with Atkinson and to a lesser extent, Watson as able deputies.

It was scrappy, Blyth had good chances and we didn’t dominate at all.

We all support Darlo but don’t gloss over things and create excuses around people missing.
With reference to Holmes, he was very good in pre-season. He started against Farsley and was clattered against Gateshead very early on.

Sorry, let’s write him off as being a starter on the back of Farsley - you talk some nonsense. Evidently AA rates him highly so I have full confidence he would have been a regular if he didn’t get injured.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:13 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:06 am
JE93 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
JE93 wrote:

Attacking 2. In a 4-4-2.

Wingers don't attack in the same way that the front 2 do, no. That's why we call them "wingers" and a "front 2". They have separate roles.

Rivers was hugging the touchline last night just like Stanley Matthews.

Your forwards are in and around the box trying to get on the end of chances, and the wingers are wider trying to create chances. Wingers are of course allowed to take shots themselves and score goals as well, but then so are defenders and midfielders.
Similarly full backs have a very different job to centre backs. I am still well within my rights to collectively call them the defence. By the same logic I can call our 4 most attacking players on the pitch who are there primarily to create chances and score goals an 'attacking 4'. I would call them such whether we were playing 4-2-4, 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:04 am

JE93 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
JE93 wrote:

Attacking 2. In a 4-4-2.

You know what at first read I thought you’re right Q’s going mad (I was about to put it down to age) but I then saw your second post on this thread! I now understand Qs frustration, we play 4-4-2 and you calling them ‘an attacking 4’ and your second post clearly shows that you don’t accept this.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:10 am

Spartans played well for the majority of the game
Blyth more than matched the home side for 90 minutes
From the match report on the Blyth website :shock:
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:08 pm

Until we scored I thought we looked garbage. We looked slow, lethargic and didn't look up for a fight which spurred them on a bit. Think our equaliser was massively important. Didn't fancy playing a full half 1-0 behind as the crowd would have got more and more frustrated.

After the goal, we were dominant and deserved the win. If I'm honest it wasn't that dis-similar from the BPA. IMO we pretty much dominated that, but just didn't manage to score.

Rivers was a constant threat down the right. Holness did a good job. The striker Campbell and the supporting forward O'Neill did well.

Hatfield is just a machine

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:15 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:52 am
OnTheTerraces wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:30 pm
You can’t include Bascome as Wheatley is much better and Donawa is a sub! I also doubt Holmes would star .. in his two games he was very ineffective.

So only Trotman and Liddle missing with Atkinson and to a lesser extent, Watson as able deputies.

It was scrappy, Blyth had good chances and we didn’t dominate at all.

We all support Darlo but don’t gloss over things and create excuses around people missing.
With reference to Holmes, he was very good in pre-season. He started against Farsley and was clattered against Gateshead very early on.

Sorry, let’s write him off as being a starter on the back of Farsley - you talk some nonsense. Evidently AA rates him highly so I have full confidence he would have been a regular if he didn’t get injured.
Playing at the expense of who?

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:27 pm

O'Neill.

The plan was to have Holmes left wing, Rivers right wing, Campbell centre forward, and Thompson attacking midfield "in the hole" in a 4-5-1 (sorry 4-2-3-1) as that was AA's preferred formation.

Obviously we had to go 4-4-2 (sorry 4-2-2-2, or is it 4-2-4) with O'Neill and Campbell up front from match 3, because of the injury to Holmes.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:35 pm

I was absolutely delighted with last night's victory however my one gripe is the amount of short corners we are taking and 50 per cent of the time screwing them up and wasting our advantage by losing possession rivers is one of the best crossers of a ball we have had in a long time so I wish he would just get the ball straight into the box like most opponents do against us with their set pieces.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:22 pm

Mister e wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:35 pm
I was absolutely delighted with last night's victory however my one gripe is the amount of short corners we are taking and 50 per cent of the time screwing them up and wasting our advantage by losing possession …...

Its not just Darlington who do that. Too many sides take short corners and fail to get ball into box and never get a sniff of a goal. At least with a "normal" corner, you get ball into box and have at least a half chance.

I don't understand the attraction of short corners

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:27 pm

Mister e wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:35 pm
I was absolutely delighted with last night's victory however my one gripe is the amount of short corners we are taking and 50 per cent of the time screwing them up and wasting our advantage by losing possession rivers is one of the best crossers of a ball we have had in a long time so I wish he would just get the ball straight into the box like most opponents do against us with their set pieces.
I agree very much with this post, short corners are alright once - but the element of surprise evaporates after that. Getting the ball in the box is always better at our level. I was very pleased too with last nights and although Blyth are struggling they went ahead so the side showed character to come back. It might be easier at Gloucester as they're doing well and the pressure of a 'must win' match is off. I think things are so much better this season but two signings we need now are patience - from some of the supporters and luck - with injuries.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:53 pm

For every short corner that doesn’t go anywhere a long corner either doesn’t beat the first man or goes too long

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:40 am

Somebody out there must have the stats to prove this, but i expect the number of goals scored from long corners this season is about 1. Also feel that several teams have scored in a breakaway after a corner because our backs were stranded upfield.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:13 am

jjljks wrote:Somebody out there must have the stats to prove this, but i expect the number of goals scored from long corners this season is about 1. Also feel that several teams have scored in a breakaway after a corner because our backs were stranded upfield.
And it just happens to us !!!!! I'd say most teams get caught out having there centre backs up for a corner... Nothing new that

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:30 am

At the end of the day the result was the only thing that mattered & not the performance.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:42 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:30 am
At the end of the day the result was the only thing that mattered & not the performance.
Can see why you say that, but not sure its as clear cut.

Yes points are important to ensure survival/ help promotion campaign / keep momentum etc

BUT picking up points with poor performances will not encourage fans to go to watch their team and without the income of the fans, clubs will struggle

Points not performance may be right in last must win game of season when failure to win could mean relegation or not getting into play offs, but the rest of the time, performances matter as well as points.

To take a couple of examples from Newcastle - under Keegan they won nothing, but the performances ensured they were sold out every home and away game as people wanted to see them.

When Sam Allardyce was manager, the team were doing relatively well, but gates dropped off and people gave up season tickets because the performances were not enjoyable.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:58 am

Spen 1/Darlopete 0

A ropey performance (win, lose or draw) doesn’t really lift anyone - On walking out of the ground the atmosphere felt a bit flat
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:59 am

In the past we have played really well & not got the result, it's far better to get a result over performance. Obviously getting a result & performance is far better, but not essential.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:46 am

spen666 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Yes points are important to ensure survival/ help promotion campaign / keep momentum etc

BUT picking up points with poor performances will not encourage fans to go to watch their team and without the income of the fans, clubs will struggle

Points not performance may be right in last must win game of season when failure to win could mean relegation or not getting into play offs, but the rest of the time, performances matter as well as points.

To take a couple of examples from Newcastle - under Keegan they won nothing, but the performances ensured they were sold out every home and away game as people wanted to see them.

When Sam Allardyce was manager, the team were doing relatively well, but gates dropped off and people gave up season tickets because the performances were not enjoyable.
Your performances won't help you get over 1000 tomorrow

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:00 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:46 am
spen666 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Your performances won't help you get over 1000 tomorrow

....your personal obsession.....

Given the team I will be watching have sold over 5000 tickets tomorrow ( including my season ticket), I would be surprised if there is less than 1000 there
Last edited by spen666 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:37 am

5000 tickets! Where is that information? Your grammar is slipping too.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:03 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:37 am
On the club website. Only tickets available in West Stand in any numbers

My grammar is dead. She died last century

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:35 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:37 am
He will be referring to Leyton Orient, he’s just being an awkward b******.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:05 pm

divas wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:53 pm
For every short corner that doesn’t go anywhere a long corner either doesn’t beat the first man or goes too long
corners get you far less goals than you think. quick google search gave me this:

On average, the data show that a corner is good for (drumroll ....) 0.022 goals. This means that the average EPL team scores 1 goal from a corner about every 10 games

and that's EPL teams.

so - perhaps the theory behind the short corner is to almost make it not like being a corner and more like open play?