Stockton v Whickham

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quaker85
Team Supported: Darlington

Stockton v Whickham

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:43 pm

A couple of ex Quakers on display this evening at the Coverall Stadium. Tom Portas has been class as usual. Never wastes the ball and can ping 30 yard passes for fun.

Adam Bartlett in goal for Whickham. Had no chance with either goal

Two very good northern leagues teams serving up some very good football. A great advert for the league.

HT score 2-0 to the hosts and well deserved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quaker85

Re: Stockton v Whickham

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:26 pm

Full time 2-0

Barts kept the score at 2 making 5 quality saves, 4 one on ones. What he’s doing playing at this level I’ll never know.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:14 pm

Quaker85 wrote:Full time 2-0

Barts kept the score at 2 making 5 quality saves, 4 one on ones. What he’s doing playing at this level I’ll never know.

Earning a fair wedge is your answer, I’d imagine.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:43 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

I’m sure he could earn even more at a higher level club if money was his main motivator. He will have been on a decent wage last season at York.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:16 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I’m sure he could earn even more at a higher level club if money was his main motivator. He will have been on a decent wage last season at York.

Not sure about that. Whickham outbid us for Conor Newton from Hartlepool so they are very “competitive” to say the least. Armstrong even said as much in pre-season. So if Whickham can compete with NLN clubs for players, it shows the amount of money they’re chucking around.

Bartlett’s a National League level keeper but if he wanted to remain in the North East and play part-time, he would have to take a drop in level.

A combination of money plus location and probably right circumstances (presuming he wanted to be part-time) will be the reason. But it would be naive to underestimate the amount of money Whickham are hoying around at that level.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:50 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Not sure about that. Whickham outbid us for Conor Newton from Hartlepool so they are very “competitive” to say the least. Armstrong even said as much in pre-season. So if Whickham can compete with NLN clubs for players, it shows the amount of money they’re chucking around.

Bartlett’s a National League level keeper but if he wanted to remain in the North East and play part-time, he would have to take a drop in level.

A combination of money plus location and probably right circumstances (presuming he wanted to be part-time) will be the reason. But it would be naive to underestimate the amount of money Whickham are hoying around at that level.
That’s probably an accurate appraisal of the situation Gramps. Do you know what’s behind this revolution at Whickham? Why have they suddenly become so competitive? I think they were in division two a couple of seasons ago and finished near the bottom of division one last season.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:39 am

Quaker85 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:50 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

That’s probably an accurate appraisal of the situation Gramps. Do you know what’s behind this revolution at Whickham? Why have they suddenly become so competitive? I think they were in division two a couple of seasons ago and finished near the bottom of division one last season.

Whickham have found their own Uncle Brad with deep pockets full of vibe.is your answer.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:16 am

Their FA cup run last season & televised game, obviously helped their finances considerably.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:31 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Their FA cup run last season & televised game, obviously helped their finances considerably.

Yeah losing in the extra preliminary round must have been a real money spinner Pete.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:32 am

Don’t Stockton have a sugar daddy as well? They have a great set up built around a plastic pitch.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:45 am

OnTheTerraces wrote:Don’t Stockton have a sugar daddy as well? They have a great set up built around a plastic pitch.
No sugar daddy but they do have a great set up with the 3G pitch and partnership with the local college. I know people who are involved in coaching at the club and they say the finances are less than transparent but we do know they have approximately 20 junior teams and each kid brings in £320 in coaching fees. Crowds are around the 400 mark which is very high for the league and the nucleus of the team had come up through the system so hasn’t cost anything. Signing players like Portas and Owens has made them very strong.

Top 3 are promoted this season into the new step 4 league so they’re never going to get a better opportunity.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:04 pm

Went to watch guisborough town play west Auckland last night Adam Rundle and Adam Mitchell two of our ex players were in west's starting line up lost a lot of pace and although guisborough only won 1 0 they rattled west Auckland's woodwork four times also think west's keeper was Man of the match by a country mile.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Mister e wrote:Went to watch guisborough town play west Auckland last night Adam Rundle and Adam Mitchell two of our ex players were in west's starting line up lost a lot of pace and although guisborough only won 1 0 they rattled west Auckland's woodwork four times also think west's keeper was Man of the match by a country mile.
Adam Rundle???? Not sure it was

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:11 am

Quaker85 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Yeah what indeed is behind the revolution seems to be a different club each season in tyne and wear that goes from broke to suddenly rich. Whickham were a club generally struggling in division 2 for years in division 2 with a poor ground and had even tenderered there resignation in the past. Im not sure how far they can go with a poor ground shared with a cricket club
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:30 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Mister e wrote:Went to watch guisborough town play west Auckland last night Adam Rundle and Adam Mitchell two of our ex players were in west's starting line up lost a lot of pace and although guisborough only won 1 0 they rattled west Auckland's woodwork four times also think west's keeper was Man of the match by a country mile.
Adam Rundle???? Not sure it was

Mister e were you actually there??

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:17 am

Yes I was there could have sworn the announcer said one of the bishop Auckland substitutes was replacing Adam Rundle could have misheard him of course David Dowson was also in the stand. Don't forget a lot of these northern league players do flit from club to club and in some cases dual registrations are allowed.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:20 am

Sorry that should have read west Auckland substitutes see I've not only got hearing problems I think my memory is starting to fade in my auld age has well.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:32 am

Mister e wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:20 am
Sorry that should have read west Auckland substitutes see I've not only got hearing problems I think my memory is starting to fade in my auld age has well.
I think it would have been Adam Burnicle, Rundle retired last year after playing for Seaham. How did Purewal play?

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:04 pm

Purwal was out injured

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Mister e wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:04 pm
Purwal was out injured
He played the full 90 and had a goal ruled out offside? Which game were you at? :lol:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:20 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Mister e wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:04 pm
Purwal was out injured
He played the full 90 and had a goal ruled out offside? Which game were you at? Image
Exactly...

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:10 pm

I'm a darlo supporter at the end of the day and I was at the end guisborough were attacking I personally don't care who is or isn't playing for them just something to pass the time on a ties or Wednesday night if we don't have a game. But credit where it's due Harry I am useless with names.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:13 pm

That was meant to say Tuesday I told you my eyesight is failing not has bad has today's referee at Altrincham though.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:23 pm

Barts had another great game last night v Thornaby in the cup but still crashed out after missing a pen playing with 10 men.

Stockton March on winning 3-0 at Northallerton!

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:44 pm

Mister e wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:13 pm
I told you my eyesight is failing not has bad has today's referee at Altrincham though.
Indeed, you seem to put unnecessary letters in front of the letter a. Surprised we weren't playing at Haltrincham ;)

Brings to mind WIndsor Davies as Sgt Major Williams in It AIn't Half Hot Mum (ask your grandad, kids).