Small clubs in the north west

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

spen666
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by spen666 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:12 am

shildonlad wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 am
THeres good and bad points of fan ownership im sure and the likes of bury prove its advantages, but one thing thats not been mentioned on here is the clubs that were rescued by fans after bad ownership who later accepted outside investment that they deemed suitable. Portsmouth and york are good examples of this. The fans must have done there homework and deemed it the best option. In my opinion the best model is a consortium with a mix of fans, local business men and investors, no single guy to carry the load and still a bit fan involvement
Swansea are another example and its been a mixed bag for them. They did get to Premiership and may be heading back there, but lots of fans remain unhappy at situation since fans lost control

I'm sure the Swansea / Darlington fan (whose name I can't immediately recall) can give more insight into what has happened there

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:30 am

en passant wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:54 am
As our own club has been through the careless owner experience you can certainly sympathise with any set of fans, who like ourselves, hoped the control of the club was in safe hands. It is also clear to see how it is easy to get seduced by the availability of money to buy yourself some success. I still remember the chants from our own crowd at Feethams when we believed that George Reynolds was the Messiah. The cry of "We're so rich it's unbelievable" lives long in the memory. And clearly there are those at our club who would be willing, if the opportunity arose, to take a chance on another dream of the Promised Land of endless football success.

There seems to be little that can be done by the football authorities to prevent a wealthy potential owner taking over a club if the club is willing to get into bed with him or her. The best they can do is reinforce the message that bad owners can lead to bad outcomes if the magic money tree gets chopped down. If you speculate to accumulate at the bookies and lose your house due to making bad bets you cannot expect someone to say it's OK and give you a new house back as if nothing had gone wrong.

In the Bury situation it would send the wrong message, if they should be able to continue trading after a year long hiatus, to allow them back at the L2 level. They speculated too much to get a promotion and found that this was unsustainable and they are asking that the only penalty is a year off to stabilise their finances and then go back to where they were before they hit the crisis point . Surely this is no caution to other clubs who would be willing to take a chance on spending cash they do not have and hoping that it all turns out fine, knowing that if it didn't you could still take up again where you were with the only disappointment that you would lose a year's worth of football. Surely it would make no sense for the EFL to actively encourage such a move.
An extremely good post. :thumbup:

I feel sorry for the Bury fans however if they turn up again in League two, it's thumbs up for dodgy geezers everywhere, and thumbs down for well run clubs and football.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

boris

Post by boris » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:04 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:47 pm
Darlo_lad wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:38 pm
biccynana wrote:
Darlo_lad wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:01 pm

Dear me here's another comedian. Every club should have realistic ambition, it's what drives football. Just as well you lot weren't running man city when the oil money turned up.
Still no real answers then?
He hasn’t. The guy is a troll who’s never been to a Darlo game in his life.
Someone disagrees with you so they must be a troll and not a true fan?? Whatever if that's your level of argument jog on
See my earlier post. Nothing to do with disagreeing. It’s to do with your alleged opinion not containing any facts, reasoning or sensible justification. Your opinion is full of holes, contradictions and self-delusion.

If you’re so thick as to not be able to understand that, you can jog on yourself, troll-boy.
I think he had a good point that people have acknowledged later in the thread about taking the chance and relenquishing control at some point after appropriate due dilligence. IIt's a pity the expected opinionated regulars on here reverted to the usual name calling and questioning if someone is really a fan. It stifles debate which is why i along with many don't bother.

Darlo My Darlo

Post by Darlo My Darlo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:51 pm

I'm thinking of buying Darlo FC. Anybody want to send me some £ for the purchase? I'll send my PayPal acct.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:40 am

Darlo My Darlo wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:51 pm
I'm thinking of buying Darlo FC. Anybody want to send me some £ for the purchase? I'll send my PayPal acct.
This must be the Nigerian prince who is a big Darlo fan & wants to get some excess notes out of Africa

Darlo My Darlo

Post by Darlo My Darlo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:03 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:30 am
An extremely good post. :thumbup:

I feel sorry for the Bury fans however if they turn up again in League two, it's thumbs up for dodgy geezers everywhere, and thumbs down for well run clubs and football.
Well, then it's :thumbup: for me because I'm certainly a dodgy geezer.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:54 pm

The curse has struck again Macclesfield town are refusing to play Saturdays game with Crewe Alexandra due to non payment of wages by an Asian owner strike any chords. Also sol Campbell wants the club wound up in the high court has he is owed around £180'000 in unpaid wages. Further proof our fan owned model is the way forward.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Mister e wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:54 pm
The curse has struck again Macclesfield town are refusing to play Saturdays game with Crewe Alexandra due to non payment of wages by an Asian owner strike any chords. Also sol Campbell wants the club wound up in the high court has he is owed around £180'000 in unpaid wages. Further proof our fan owned model is the way forward.
What's the owner's ethnicity got to do with it?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:44 pm

I think he's making a comparison to Gateshead.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:47 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:44 pm
I think he's making a comparison to Gateshead.
He needs to brush up on his geography then, given the thread's title.

And "due to non payment of wages by an owner" would have made his point just as clearly.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:00 pm

biccynana wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:38 pm
Mister e wrote:
What's the owner's ethnicity got to do with it?
Nothing, but he must be comparing to Raj Singh when he started refusing to pay our players, and only part paid others. I hope Pools don't go on a bad run.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Mister e wrote:
Why do you always say "has" instead of "as"? It's not hard

I bet you're one of those people who also says "red chester" instead of "register".

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:35 pm

Macclesfield town are in the north west and it was a certain Mr Singh I was referring to. Although Josef cala did nearly bankrupt Gateshead also. Not intending to upset ethnic minorities or the PC brigade I was just stating a fact.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:51 pm

Mister e wrote:Macclesfield town are in the north west and it was a certain Mr Singh I was referring to. Although Josef cala did nearly bankrupt Gateshead also. Not intending to upset ethnic minorities or the PC brigade I was just stating a fact.
You could have said 'male owner' or 'two legged owner'. The fact he's Asian is irrelevant, there are plenty of owners from Asian heritage who have not landed clubs in the s***, and plenty of owners of non-Asian heritage who have landed clubs in the s***.

That's not me or anyone else being part of the 'PC brigade', it's just weird and unnecessary to highlight his ethnicity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:55 pm

Mister e wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:35 pm
Macclesfield town are in the north west and it was a certain Mr Singh I was referring to. Although Josef cala did nearly bankrupt Gateshead also. Not intending to upset ethnic minorities or the PC brigade I was just stating a fact.
There's nothing PC about it. You wouldn't say "a club's White British owner" would you, so why say "Asian owner"?

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:09 pm

Hmm pretty certain that the glazers are referred to has Manchester United's American owners just has Ellis short at Sunderland and randy Lerner at Aston villa once over so again as I originally stated I fail to understand your grievance. All I stated was a fact I did not insult the fact he was Asian I was just pointing out the similarities to our demise in 2012.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:21 pm

Mister e wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:09 pm
Hmm pretty certain that the glazers are referred to has Manchester United's American owners just has Ellis short at Sunderland and randy Lerner at Aston villa once over so again as I originally stated I fail to understand your grievance. All I stated was a fact I did not insult the fact he was Asian I was just pointing out the similarities to our demise in 2012.
American is a nationality though isn't it. So why not refer to Singh or Alkadhi by their nationalities rather than their ethnicity/heritage. Asian is a lazy catch all term for billions of people across scores of countries covering a vast proportion of the planet. The Alkadhis are Iraqi Kurds, but, hey, Asian will do, because an Iraqi Kurd is just the same as someone from Punjab who is just the same as someone from Malaysia.

I don't doubt you don't set out to offend, but it's worth thinking about this stuff.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:29 pm

I bet the Macclesfield town supporters are calling them a few worse things at the moment.

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:33 pm

Mister e wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:09 pm
:lol:

It wouldn't surprise me if 'Mister e' was yet another one of TF's alter egos and he's deliberately doing this to wind Ghost up.

biccynana and Spyman are spot on by the way.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:01 am

Could it be the owner thought he was buying into the rag trade when he bought The Silkmen & was stunned to find himself involved with a football club?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:22 am

I know it is nothing compared to his salary when he was playing - but Campbell is owed £180,000 from a what 9 month spell at Macclesfield.

He was contracted on (at least) £20,000 per month at Macclesfield...and that is assume he wasn't even paid anything.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:28 am

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:22 am
I know it is nothing compared to his salary when he was playing - but Campbell is owed £180,000 from a what 9 month spell at Macclesfield.

He was contracted on (at least) £20,000 per month at Macclesfield...and that is assume he wasn't even paid anything.
may have had a survival bonus?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:10 am

I saw the same, and wondered whether he'd maybe loaned the club some money to get wages paid?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:11 am

tdk1 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:10 am
I saw the same, and wondered whether he'd maybe loaned the club some money to get wages paid?
I think in previous articles it was said he had done this to ensure players were paid last season

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:33 am

Ah that would make more sense to be honest. I know he has effectively confirmed he doesn't even need the income from management given what he earns from his property business.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:48 pm

I hear Arsenal are looking for a manager - Sol has history there

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:40 pm

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... dium-debt/

Steve Dale could quite literally become the biggest anti hero in English Football if Bury kick a ball again next season!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:45 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:40 pm
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... dium-debt/

Steve Dale could quite literally become the biggest anti hero in English Football if Bury kick a ball again next season!
I wouldn't trust the man why make all this public now in my eyes he's just trying to find any excuse to get his own grubby hands on high lane and thwart the efforts of the true bury fans who are trying to get their club up and running again.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:46 pm

That should have read gigg lane obviously bloody predictive text strikes again.