Southport Highlights

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TFDM
Team Supported: Darlington

Southport Highlights

Post by TFDM » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:05 am

Highlights from yesterday. Obviously don’t share them too widely just yet.

https://youtu.be/yJapmTXGMuo

H1987

Re: Southport Highlights

Post by H1987 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:46 pm

It really is every bit as bad a dive for the penalty as i thought it was yesterday. Naughty that. We'd be very angry if that went against us.

Nevertheless, we were dominant and deserved the win anyway. Very pleasing to see us pressing so far up the pitch.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:11 pm

H1987 wrote:It really is every bit as bad a dive for the penalty as i thought it was yesterday. Naughty that. We'd be very angry if that went against us.

Nevertheless, we were dominant and deserved the win anyway. Very pleasing to see us pressing so far up the pitch.
Why not dive, teams do it to us all the time The Gateshead CF was going down if you breathed on him and the Curzon lad dived for the free kick for their first goal.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:17 pm

I mean beyond going over theatrically it looks like the Southport player actually tackled the ball.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:27 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:11 pm
H1987 wrote:It really is every bit as bad a dive for the penalty as i thought it was yesterday. Naughty that. We'd be very angry if that went against us.

Why not dive, teams do it to us all the time The Gateshead CF was going down if you breathed on him and the Curzon lad dived for the free kick for their first goal.

I mean, if that’s what you think, I’ll assume you don’t get annoyed when other teams do it against us?

I don’t like it, personally. When it happens to us, nor our players doing it. I still think we deserved the win, and I don’t think it’s affected the result too much... but I don’t like it. It’s cheating, basically.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:43 pm

H1987 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

I mean, if that’s what you think, I’ll assume you don’t get annoyed when other teams do it against us?

I don’t like it, personally. When it happens to us, nor our players doing it. I still think we deserved the win, and I don’t think it’s affected the result too much... but I don’t like it. It’s cheating, basically.
It's 10 times worse in the Premiership, Sean Dyche has had a go in today's Mail on Sunday at Arsenal .

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:05 pm

Made a meal of it but there is contact, albeit very slight.

Referees continue to be inconsistent with decisions. Yellow last Saturday for Watson due to a player falling over after he had been shouldered off the ball. Hatfield running in to the box yesterday and their number 5 blatantly kicks out, deliberately fouling him - no booking. He’s through on goal, how that isn’t at least a booking is beyond me.

Also, numerous times teams steal 10/15 yards at throw ins and the referees allow it. We’ve had yesterday’s ref a few times and he is a clown. Maybe the decision for the penalty was dubious but he made up with it by giving us nothing else.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:49 pm

Defender's reaction is to gesture that he got the ball, if it was a blatant dive he surely would have concentrated on that in his protestations so I'm assuming there was contact. Does look like Rivers was trying to get contact rather than trying to beat him, players do make it hard for referees.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:02 pm

Liam Watson believes it's just refs favouring the North-east side rather than an impartial decision on the incident. "With it being in the North-east, you're always going to get the decision against you because that's what happens," he scowled.

And don't get him started on our big pitch..... "And that's another thing that caught us out, the pitch is really big. Haig Avenue is quite narrow now. The size of this pitch it ended up becoming a real problem for us," he moaned. Clearly Liam will be having nightmares over this humongous pitch :crazy:

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:18 pm

H1987 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:27 pm
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

First thing I said yesterday was "Massive dive that...but I'll take the penalty". These have gone against us before, and I've always kicked off about it when it has done - so I guess I'm a massive hypocrite to take that penalty with so little fuss, because I've always been a "two wrongs don't make a right" kind of person.

That said, on the video it does look more of a penalty, the defender showed Rivers a leg to trip over. Certainly in real life, from just behind the goal, it did look as though Rivers ran into him and threw himself to the floor.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:26 pm

Look. I don’t disagree with a load of the sentiments in here. Sometimes we don’t get the rub of the green. Sometimes you feel like these decisions go against us more than they come for us (I wonder how much of that can be pinned on our playing style in the last few years tbh).

But that doesn’t mean I want to celebrate it. Diving is cheating. Other teams doing it as well, or it being part of the modern game doesn’t make me want to celebrate it.

If he’s surprised about the size of the pitch, well maybe he should’ve done his homework. We’ve been playing on this pitch for a few years now. The difference is probably that our playing style, and our better team fitness means we are using it better.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:33 pm

He didn't go a bundle on the wind either. I get the feeling that if it had been winter there would have been the wrong type of snow for laugh-a-minute Liam and his merry bunch :D

ralphb

Post by ralphb » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:46 pm

On the subject of the penalty, it seems to be accepted that if a defender puts a leg out you fall over it. I think it stinks, but it applies both ways. Especially when we have a blatant penalty turned down against Gateshead, for a tackle on Thompson.

I have in the past not criticized referees, however, it has become ridiculous, the standard of referees in our league seems to be getting worse.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:17 pm

Looking at the highlights, just my view but that was a penalty, Rivers went to get the ball and the lad put his leg right across him and there was contact, fall may be a bit high but Rivers moves fast so may be actual? Also the Southport guy did not complain about it too much other than pointing he touched the ball, so he must have known he caught him.

Just my opinion of course but did not look "bought" to me, as Rivers could have got that ball before it went out if he had not had that leg put out in front of him.

Sweet-FA

Post by Sweet-FA » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:22 pm

On the subject of the referee, the Darlo fans around me thought the ref was giving us nothing and the yellow card he gave Donawa was a poor decision. On the way out of the ground the Southport fans were screaming at the ref that he had given them nothing and had cost them the game. Seems no one was happy with him yesterday.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:39 pm

Sweet-FA wrote:On the subject of the referee, the Darlo fans around me thought the ref was giving us nothing and the yellow card he gave Donawa was a poor decision. On the way out of the ground the Southport fans were screaming at the ref that he had given them nothing and had cost them the game. Seems no one was happy with him yesterday.
Perhaps that says more about the fans’ partisanship than the referee.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:23 pm

The referee was inconsistent but that can bet said for most of them at the lower levels,
He was an improvement on the Gateshead ref but still not great.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:24 pm

Sweet-FA wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:22 pm
the yellow card he gave Donawa was a poor decision.

We had a good view of this. It was clearly a foul/yellow card.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:11 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:24 pm
Sweet-FA wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:22 pm
the yellow card he gave Donawa was a poor decision.

We had a good view of this. It was clearly a foul/yellow card.
The Donawa was a foul and the yellow is debatable. I think the frustration for me was that the Liddle challenge went unpunished, the challenge on Bascombe went unpunished and the fact that the ref gave 2 handballs against us (fair enough), but when their guy handballed it, he waved it away. Needs to be consistency and that's what annoys me the most.

Some refs give fouls for some pushing and nudging in the back and some don't. But to me if you're a ref that does give it, then you have to give it all game and for both teams

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:08 pm

Remember the law on handball has completely changed this season - no idea about the scenarios you mention but if you effectively gain control of the ball in an attacking area from the ball touching your arm it’s a free kick.

The only exception is where the ball ricochets off another part of your body - which has again been put in law.

I saw it from the Man City Laporte situation the other day - some were saying “I bet that wouldn’t be given as a penalty if it had been a defenders arm” well no...that is exactly the point. It’s only if it leads to a goal or goal scoring opportunity...

Basically you will see a lot of ‘soft’ handballs go against attackers which wouldn’t go against defenders this season.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:09 am

Some refs give fouls for some pushing and nudging in the back and some don't. But to me if you're a ref that does give it, then you have to give it all game and for both teams
[/quote]

Have to agree it is the bloody inconsistency by referees at Curzon it was free kick after free kick "if you shouted loud enough" Campbell hacked down shouts nothing, throw ins 20m up the pitch every time; liddle warned for taking a run up, if Alan Wilkie was ref assessor on Saturday he must see the same crap and report to the bloody useless FA.
The best referees are those you don't remember in the game it just flowed; unfortunately home and away you remember them all as they strut around take an over dramatic point of stopping play bringing the player over and do nothing in this league

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 am

There’s one particular peacock I dread seeing every time I turn up for a game. I can’t remember his name but he’s an older guy who wears his shorts long. Proper schoolmaster blowing his whistle every 30 seconds. He did Guiseley away at the end of last season. They must have been rubbing their hands when they saw the appointment with their disruptive style of play. And that’s exactly how the game played out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:50 am

Paul Brown - think people can judge for themselves.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the ref had a bad game on Saturday. A few decisions which were not given for both sides but that happens at this level.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:12 am

Mind you, crowds are as bad as players nowadays - every tackle results in screams for a foul, penalty, booking.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:30 pm

I think Paul brown was the referee at Curzon Ashton last Monday had well.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:15 pm

Mister e wrote:I think Paul brown was the referee at Curzon Ashton last Monday had well.
He was a disgrace at Curzon, they were going down at the slightest contact, conned the ref all game and the idiot fell for it time and again.Gave us hardly anything even when the tackles were far worse than ours and their first goal was a prime example.He really did not have a clue and should have disallowed many of the free kicks he gave.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:23 pm

Paul Brown wasn’t the referee against Curzon Ashton.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:14 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Paul Brown wasn’t the referee against Curzon Ashton.
Don't know the name of the ref at Curzon but he had a shocker.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:59 pm

Just double checked my Curzon Ashton programme according to the team sheet Paul brown was the referee.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:22 pm

Got to admit personal highlight (although not from our highlights) was Liam Watson complaining that the pitch was too big. Clear his side were there to play narrow and get the ball into the box at every opportunity. Once we showed we could press high and not gove their big lads time on the ball there didn't look like being any other winner. Credit to our lads for getting out there and stopping them from doing that first half and then digging in second half to keep them out. We can move on from neckache now till we play Billy Heath's Alfreton in late September.

We're not a big team (physically) but when we play like we can it's clear how we carry a threat. Really am excited by us this season. The game plan is clear, we play good attacking football. The players are fit and put a shift in every game. What more can you ask for as a fan. Credit to the board and Armstong this feels like a different club to the one we last saw in April.
Last edited by JE93 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.