Gateshead game...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Yarblockos
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by Yarblockos » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:39 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:29 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:27 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:11 pm
Laing is the new whipping boy I see. Did very little wrong yet his partner alongside him is exempt from any form of criticism.
"Error prone" is Laing's middle name. He has a history of giving the ball away, game after game. And we were warned. Hartlepool fans say he was the worst defender they'd ever seen. He was given 2 out of 10 in the Echo, twice! What worries me is that Armstrong rates him.
Watched Laing all pre-season, and both his two games this season.

Loughlin publicly threw him under the bus; but I’m not surprised you’re judging him on what others have said and an “Echo rating”.

Watch him properly and you’ll find out. Alun rates him for a reason.
Well yes, I'm judging him on what others have said, and on the two games up to now, rather than half-paced pre-season friendlies. I mean, are you saying you didn't see anything to concern you at Farsely? Maybe everyone else in football is wrong and Alun is right, but I doubt it. Laing will be nowhere near the starting 11 in a few months time.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:40 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Laing is the new whipping boy I see. Did very little wrong yet his partner alongside him is exempt from any form of criticism.
I hope he doesn’t become a whipping boy but looking objectively on his performance tonight he was very poor. Got the absolute runaround off their lone centre forward and pass completion was very poor.

Playing four at the back we should have been comfortable against one forward but we didn’t win nearly enough first balls and the area between goalkeeper and centre backs was a bit of a calamity.

Let’s hope for better next time out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:43 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:39 pm
There was a bit of dodgy distribution from him tonight at times, sometimes he just needs to clear his lines and put his foot through it - but he never hid, always made himself available, and his head didn't drop when he screwed a few of those passes up.
He'll never put his foot through it, that's not his game and never has been. His game is being calm, composed and giving the ball away in dangerous areas.

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:44 pm

Laing had mare, gave the ball away countless. Kept just hoofing it without even getting his head up to look to someone to pass to. Rather Heaton started on saturday at CB over him. No wonder pools didnt want him

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:51 pm

m62exile wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:40 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:Laing is the new whipping boy I see. Did very little wrong yet his partner alongside him is exempt from any form of criticism.
I hope he doesn’t become a whipping boy but looking objectively on his performance tonight he was very poor. Got the absolute runaround off their lone centre forward and pass completion was very poor.

Playing four at the back we should have been comfortable against one forward but we didn’t win nearly enough first balls and the area between goalkeeper and centre backs was a bit of a calamity.

Their centre-forward was very good and gave both Galbraith & Laing equally a difficult time - yet one is only singled out.

Laing’s pass completion is understandably going to take a hit for the significant number of forward passes which he attempts for a centre-half. Some excellent balls that he played in both the first & second half.

Laing & Galbraith aren’t also to blame for Elliott’s hesitancy and poor distribution.

You mention that we also played with a back 4, however both full-backs were pushed up very high isolating both Laing & Galbraith against Kayode.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:57 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:39 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:29 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:27 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Laing is the new whipping boy I see. Did very little wrong yet his partner alongside him is exempt from any form of criticism.
"Error prone" is Laing's middle name. He has a history of giving the ball away, game after game. And we were warned. Hartlepool fans say he was the worst defender they'd ever seen. He was given 2 out of 10 in the Echo, twice! What worries me is that Armstrong rates him.
Watched Laing all pre-season, and both his two games this season.

Loughlin publicly threw him under the bus; but I’m not surprised you’re judging him on what others have said and an “Echo rating”.

Watch him properly and you’ll find out. Alun rates him for a reason.
Well yes, I'm judging him on what others have said, and on the two games up to now, rather than half-paced pre-season friendlies. I mean, are you saying you didn't see anything to concern you at Farsely? Maybe everyone else in football is wrong and Alun is right, but I doubt it. Laing will be nowhere near the starting 11 in a few months time.
What concerned me at Farsley was Laing giving the ball away that they directly scored from. Obviously.

What also concerned me at Farsley was the lack of recovery run from a centre-half for the second, allowing Cartman to gain 15 yards inside the box. And also an absent right-back to allow a tap-in from a throw-in.

However, aside from that he had a very decent game against Farsley.

He was also very good in some more than half-paced pre-season friendlies, such as against Motherwell, Halifax & Harrogate.

Everyone else in football thinks Laing is poor, but Armstrong? Behave.

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:58 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:35 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Laing was abysmal tonight.
Was I watching a completely different game tonight?

Yes there's a few stray passes which will happen when you're trying to play out from the back but watch how the guy moves around without the ball...

Two games in and people are brandishing him abysmal? Give over...
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:00 pm

Darlo Fonz wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:58 pm
MB86DFC wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Yes there's a few stray passes which will happen when you're trying to play out from the back but watch how the guy moves around without the ball...

This!

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:01 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
m62exile wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:40 pm

Their centre-forward was very good and gave both Galbraith & Laing equally a difficult time - yet one is only singled out.

Laing’s pass completion is understandably going to take a hit for the significant number of forward passes which he attempts for a centre-half. Some excellent balls that he played in both the first & second half.

Laing & Galbraith aren’t also to blame for Elliott’s hesitancy and poor distribution.

You mention that we also played with a back 4, however both full-backs were pushed up very high isolating both Laing & Galbraith against Kayode.
I hope he settles and improves and yes I think Galbraith didn’t dominate either. As for the full backs though, for 70 minutes I’ve never seen Trotman stay so far back so often. I don’t think either he or Liddle was able to push on very much at all partly because if their 3 advanced midfielders and partly because the centre backs were struggling.

Compare how Gateshead’s centre backs dealt with Campbell - different ball game.

Anyhow - let’s hope for better next time out. I’ve no desire to see Laing struggle, quite the opposite.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:10 pm

Personally thought Laing struggled first half, but got better second. Same as the rest of the team. Gateshead were comfortable for 70 minutes. Donawa made a difference. Williamson strolled through the game. First half reminiscent of last season. Lot of passes but pushed back by press and ending in hopeful long diagonal ball. Team's will sit deep against us and we need to work out how to combat that.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:17 pm

Of course Gateshead centre-half’s dealt with Campbell better. Williamson was outstanding and so he should be - 2 years ago he was a Championship player and the season before that he was in the Premier League.

We shouldn’t be comparing their defence to ours because of that very reason. Of course it’s going to be a different ball game.

People need to have faith & patience. After our budget has been cut we have a group of local lads that appear to be much fitter, stronger & close-knit than what we had last year. Some writing players off and asking them to be dropped after 2 games is just daft.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:35 pm

Yarblockos wrote:Laing is fulfilling everything that the Hartlepool fans said about him. Heaton coming in to the centre of defence would make a massive difference.
Give the lad a chance FFS

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:42 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Of course Gateshead centre-half’s dealt with Campbell better. Williamson was outstanding and so he should be - 2 years ago he was a Championship player and the season before that he was in the Premier League.

We shouldn’t be comparing their defence to ours because of that very reason. Of course it’s going to be a different ball game.

People need to have faith & patience. After our budget has been cut we have a group of local lads that appear to be much fitter, stronger & close-knit than what we had last year. Some writing players off and asking them to be dropped after 2 games is just daft.
Here Here.... I cant believe some of our fans singling out Laing and I've heard them slate the keeper too, let's get behind the team NOT slate them every back kick and pass, We are PART TIME FFS back the lads and the Manager

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:05 am

Darlo Fonz wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:58 pm
MB86DFC wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

I’m not brandishing him abysmal, I said he was abysmal tonight. I don’t think anyone had a great game ( Donowa looked good when he came on, as did O’Neill) and I appreciate they’re still getting used to each other, however this thread mentioned Laing specifically so I gave my opinion.

He was extremely hesitant in his passing at times, the constant long diagonal ball to the left wing wasn’t working and was nearly always intercepted or sailed out of play (obviously this was a tactic he had been told to attempt, but the execution wasn’t working) short passes to his full back/winger were often cut out or went astray. The times he did push forward with the ball resulted in him giving it away. I was more concerned about his distribution that anything else, which is why he is getting more criticism than the rest of the back 4. He was very poor and Gateshead seemed to target him.

He looked ok in the pre season friendlies, and I wasn’t at Farsley so I can’t comment on that, but a few more performances like that and I would want to see Heaton given a chance.

en passant

Post by en passant » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:33 am

Btw did anyone get the 50-50 number tonight, I can't remember hearing it called out, which is remarkable given that the PA was certainly loud. Mind you, given the number of times they got players numbers wrong in the substitutions, I'm not sure I would have believed any number they quoted. It did look like there was over 1900 there.

DARLO333

Post by DARLO333 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:42 am

Too early to be calling players out just yet.

Draw was a fair result.

“Penalty” that wasn’t was outside the box anyway from where I was, although I still think it was a foul. Another example of poor officiating, although it’s week in week out so I may be blinded by all things Darlo.

Gateshead very solid at the back and Mike Williamson was understandably stand out.

Armstrong’s changes worked really well and we were rewarded.

Hopefully trots injury won’t be as bad as expected.

What surprised me was that we complained that the pitch at Farsley didn’t help us, they played the high ball and we wanted to get it on the ground ... yet last night we spent 45/60 minutes playing balls in the air and when we got it down we’re the better team.

Hopefully that’s what Armstrong’s working on and it’s takinf a little while to sink in ....

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:50 am

A draw was a fair result.
In terms of Laing I thought he did ok, they was a lack of passing options at times so he had to play it across the back or hoof it away.
Funniest bits of the night were the Physio running on and the guy on the Mic, he kept getting everything wrong ala Alan Partridge.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:56 am

Absolutely no need for some of these comments on Laing. Yes he got caught a couple of times in possession in the first half but so for example did Trotman yet not a word on that. And as has been pointed out the Gateshead number 9 was a nuisance and gave Galbraith just as much of a tough time.

Second half the boy didn’t put a foot wrong barring maybe one daft pass. Won his headers and largely his distribution was good. The switch to the left wing was at times enforced due to limited options.

Get behind the lad. “Abysmal” - FFS.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:35 am

Only to be expected that at this stage of the season, several areas need improvement from distribution by GK to the announcements over the PA and control of the car park. First half we were woeful, giving the ball away far too easily, causing problems at the back where people were caught out of position. Second half, much improved with Thommo putting in his usual grafting display and generally a better level of fitness than start of last year. Finally got our reward with the equaliser although injury to Trotman must be a concern. Great to see Heaton back in a hooped black & white shirt, also Tyrone O'Neill made an impact but would hope we don't end up relying too much on loanees. Shame that so many fans were streaming out before the final whistle but at least the attendance was above expectations. Just hope some will have seen enough to encourage them to return on Saturday.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:51 am

Wijnhard's_Schlong wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:56 am
Absolutely no need for some of these comments on Laing. Yes he got caught a couple of times in possession in the first half but so for example did Trotman yet not a word on that. And as has been pointed out the Gateshead number 9 was a nuisance and gave Galbraith just as much of a tough time.

Second half the boy didn’t put a foot wrong barring maybe one daft pass. Won his headers and largely his distribution was good. The switch to the left wing was at times enforced due to limited options.

There was more than one daft pass in the second half, I think he had a poor game. However, I’m going to reserve overall judgement on the players individually, and squad as a whole, until mid September when they’ve had a chance to gel and get this busy August out of the way.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:00 am

I wonder if other clubs have a subsection of supporters who have to have a scapegoat, or if this rather bizarre phenomenon is limited purely to darlington

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:11 am

I’m not too worried about Laings distribution as it’s clearly what Armstrong wants him to do. In the first half some of his long cross field balls did go astray but in the second half a lot more hit their mark, or were headed out of play which gave us the position up the field, hence win win.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:15 am

MB86DFC wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:51 am
Wijnhard's_Schlong wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:56 am

There was more than one daft pass in the second half, I think he had a poor game. However, I’m going to reserve overall judgement on the players individually, and squad as a whole, until mid September when they’ve had a chance to gel and get this busy August out of the way.
The way we play you have to come out from defence with the ball, Laing has takne this responsibility on a lot more than Galbraith will and with that will make a few daft passes as you call them.

I am not going to say he is/has been excellent however context is he is the one putting his head above the parapet and bringing the ball out. Let's give the lad backing and see how it goes over a decent chunk of games. Some of his balls to Thompsoon were decent, some went a little astray but he is one of those driving the team forward in the first two games this season (even if it has just been in the 2nd halves).
Last edited by super_les_mcjannet on Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:17 am

al_quaker wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:00 am
I wonder if other clubs have a subsection of supporters who have to have a scapegoat, or if this rather bizarre phenomenon is limited purely to darlington
Yeah all clubs have them, just a forum/twitter gives them a voice that everyone can hear.

Even though some players give you reservations, AA has spent the budget on what he could afford and get at the time, we now need to back them and hope they improve rather than some who write them off after two games.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:23 am

Before the game I was happy with a draw and at the end thankful. Their centre forward caused all sorts of problems, Trotman had his worst game(hope the injury is not serious) and only Liddle shone at the back . Hatfield is still having to help in defence and has little opportunity to get forward. Holmes was poor at Farsely and last night, maybe carrying an injury but happy with Donawa to take his place. Good atmosphere at BM food and drink service by rugby club still woefully slow but once I win the lottery I'll put that right. Optimistic for Saturday

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:34 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Of course Gateshead centre-half’s dealt with Campbell better. Williamson was outstanding and so he should be - 2 years ago he was a Championship player and the season before that he was in the Premier League.

Here Here.... I cant believe some of our fans singling out Laing and I've heard them slate the keeper too, let's get behind the team NOT slate them every back kick and pass, We are PART TIME FFS back the lads and the Manager

Absolutely spot on Harry, some of these comments are pathetic, thought Laing was ok last night, played some lovely balls out of defence and all centre halves make the odd loose pass but no need to over react like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:36 am

Trotman gave the ball away for their goal. A big positive for me last night was how our fitness levels looked really good, as we finished by far the stronger against a full-time team.

DarloFaithful

Post by DarloFaithful » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:43 am

I'm something of a lapsed Darlo supporter, having only moved back to the area a few months ago. I haven't been going regularly since around 2013, so i'm toying with the idea of getting a season ticket again this year, as i enjoyed last night enormously. Felt great to be back.

Thought we were really poor for the first sixty but really outplayed them towards the end. It seems bold of the management to go with such a diminutive strikeforce but you can tell we have quality, Campbell in particular. Was really impressed with the lad who came on and played right wing, and WIll Hatfield in midfield looks excellent.

I gather there's been a fair amount of upheaval at the club, so more than willing to give the management time. Concerned about the injury to the right back, do we have any cover?

DarloFaithful

Post by DarloFaithful » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:44 am

quakerste wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:39 pm
:wave:
Darlopartisan wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:25 pm
Oh yea it’s the first time I’ve seen the away fans arrive in in a big double decker bus :clap:
You may have seen them arrive in the double decker bus, the bad news for them is they won't be leaving on the bus. It's knackered.

They were all brought into the bar afterwards until two replacements arrive. The rugby club will be rubbing their hands together tonight

That bus was absolutely hilarious. No idea how it managed to get to the ground in the first place to be honest

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:57 am

DarloFaithful wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:43 am
I'm something of a lapsed Darlo supporter, having only moved back to the area a few months ago. I haven't been going regularly since around 2013, so i'm toying with the idea of getting a season ticket again this year, as i enjoyed last night enormously. Felt great to be back.

Thought we were really poor for the first sixty but really outplayed them towards the end. It seems bold of the management to go with such a diminutive strikeforce but you can tell we have quality, Campbell in particular. Was really impressed with the lad who came on and played right wing, and WIll Hatfield in midfield looks excellent.

I gather there's been a fair amount of upheaval at the club, so more than willing to give the management time. Concerned about the injury to the right back, do we have any cover?
Welcome back and get yourself a flexi ticket of 10 games or so or even the monthly ST option (think they are still available).

It's a whole new management team and squd (barring about 4 players from last season), the budget has been cut to spend within our means but we look fitter than we did last season and we would have lost that game last seaosn also. In terms of RB then Atkinson would be the natural but is injured and alos pencilled in for holding midfield role, so possibly Jordon Watson in playing RB or Liddle moved over and Watson goes to LB.