David Johnson's interview

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

David Johnson's interview

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:30 am

There are some very interesting points in his latest interview, which you can listen to here: https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/david-j ... -with-alun

Potentially going full time next season!

eddie-rowles

Re: David Johnson's interview

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:36 am

We have to make two important decisions this season, remain at BM or move to Sporting Village and secondly move to a semi pro team? If we can achieve a half decent season then the second one is easier to achieve, the former I'm not too sure.
Interesting that some of Darlingtons big employers will be targeted to gain some real investment, good luck with trying to get money out of the likes of Amazon!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:25 am

All sounds positive - which after last season is quite remarkable (ask me again in a few months time though :lol: ). In my time following the club, I can't remember a more impressive group of peope overseeing the club. Between the directors of the football club, and the DFCSG, we have some real talent off the pitch doing great things for the club :clap:

Interesting the discussions about a full time/hybrid model, and going for it more next season. Obviously the expiration of some of the 500 club tickets will improve our finances (although we will that coincide with a hit on boost the budget? Time will tell I guess) but I assume we must be planning/hoping for a big increase in commercial revenue now we have a full time commerical director :thumbup:

As ever, the discussions around where our long term 'home' will be is key - the sooner we can make a decision one way or another the better for the club

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:48 am

Reading between the lines of what he's saying, the landscape has changed so much in the NE non-league scene that we almost have little choice but to go via the hybrid route if we want to compete with the others. Another couple of interesting points, the fitness levels are 'chalk and cheese', some of which I certainly think was caused by players spending several hours in cars before even getting to training, especially in Winter, but also must be basics that weren't carried out by the previous regime. Indeed, he says that on the field performances last year were 'dire'. A final point, DJ says that the budget is spent up. If we do get Omar, Heaton and Bell in, where will the money be coming from if we can't get Burn and Glover out on loan?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:59 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:48 am
A final point, DJ says that the budget is spent up. If we do get Omar, Heaton and Bell in, where will the money be coming from if we can't get Burn and Glover out on loan?
Unless the deals we are wanting to do have already been agreed, and just not announced yet?

(Pure speculation on my part!)

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:04 am

David Johnson = M.G's best ever signing!!!

Especially when you compare him to the rag-taggle list of the previous occupants of DFC'S battered financial hot seat. Reynolds (recent scary photo in the Echo) Sotnick (ugh) Singh (no comment) and numerous others, who put their own agendas ahead of what was best for the club.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:16 am

BM or Sporting Village, that’s the big question, obviously when we need to make that massive decision which will decide our long term future, every pro/con will have to be put under the microscope.
When the details about both options are known it will take some serious head scratching.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:08 am

al_quaker wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:59 am
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:48 am
A final point, DJ says that the budget is spent up. If we do get Omar, Heaton and Bell in, where will the money be coming from if we can't get Burn and Glover out on loan?
Unless the deals we are wanting to do have already been agreed, and just not announced yet?

(Pure speculation on my part!)
That's certainly a plausible scenario as talks were going to happen yesterday, and one that would be very pleasing.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:05 pm

Really good interview from Johnston.

Sounds like we are starting to really benefit from some extra bodies on the board and settling down our budget and revenue challenges, the fact that the board aren't constantly fire fighting seems to be giving them space to plan ahead.

It looks like we should be growing revenue and budget over the next few years, which is good to see as it's a positive. Hoping a reasonable start to the season, get those fans who had given up under TW back through the gate and we entertain them enough to keep coming again.

Probably a pain for Johnston to do but I would like more regular board updates like this :thumbup:

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:00 pm

Lots of positives in that interview. BM or SV? if we are paying the same rent but can make more out of commercial then SV is a no brainer plus should bring families back as they can actually see. I’ve also heard a rumour there is a potential investor interested which should surprise many not sure if it true though so let’s wait and see, maybe that’s where the full time/hybrid model may be developed. Certainly an exciting season ahead.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:22 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:David Johnson = M.G's best ever signing!!!

Especially when you compare him to the rag-taggle list of the previous occupants of DFC'S battered financial hot seat. Reynolds (recent scary photo in the Echo) Sotnick (ugh) Singh (no comment) and numerous others, who put their own agendas ahead of what was best for the club.
Amazing how different it is when the club is run by people who aren't in it for themselves.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:10 am

Good to see DJ has been able to delegate some responsibilities to a capable band of people, many of whom are both supporters & volunteers. Seems like the club is getting back to a firm foundation for the future. 🙌

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:07 am

Looking at tweets from DFC & DFCSG they have had a good response to the appeal for volunteers although it would be nice to see some younger ones (nearer 60 rather than 70 or 80) especially to push onwards & upwards.