Rip kevin stonehouse

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Rip kevin stonehouse

Post by shildonlad » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:13 pm

I have just been told that ex blackburn rovers player kevin stonehouse who also worked and played for darlington a few year back has passed away aged 59, no age these days
Last edited by shildonlad on Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

tezza
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rip kevin stonehouse

Post by tezza » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:32 pm

Sol sad , always a 100 percenter. Came across him last when he was running Saturday morning kids classes. Kids respected him and thought he was good fun. RIP

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:35 pm

Scored a good goal years ago v Burnley when we won 4-2 I think, was a near post flick from a right wing cross. Great team goal.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:54 pm

That's really sad news, a good servant for Darlo, as others have said that is very young to pass away. Condolences to his family at this sad time.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:43 pm

Such sad news. I thoroughly enjoyed talking to him about football (and lots of other stuff later in the evenings...). He really enjoyed his time at Darlo and when he came back to do the FITC he was always willing to take on other tasks when needed and was a regular at Supporters' Club/Trust events.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:19 pm

Sad news.

He was always a player who gave his all on the pitch.

Taken Far too young

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:23 am

Blimey - that’s so sad. RIP

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:51 am

A bit of a shocker this is, always is when someone not very old passes away suddenly - and makes me think of my own mortality and how quickly I can be snuffed out and not see it coming.

Condolences to his friends and family.

A front three of Stonehouse, Currie and MacDonald was pretty good wasn't it?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:25 am

I remember in our 84-85 promotion season losing 4-0 at home to Blackpool. They ripped us to shreds and everything came from Kevin. I remember at the time wishing he would sign for us. I didn't know at the time that he was a North East lad and was delighted when he came to us a couple of years later.

Echo what Ghost has said, was certainly a shock when I read about his passing.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:15 am

Very sad news. That team he was part of is the first one i can really remember. A committed player and someone who did lots of FITC work for the club in the background. Terrible.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:32 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:51 am
Stonehouse usually played wide left for us that season, Alan Roberts was on the other wing.
Another one who passed far too soon was Stephen Bell who was usually the 3rd winger in that same squad. Died in 2001.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:28 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I remember in our 84-85 promotion season losing 4-0 at home to Blackpool. They ripped us to shreds and everything came from Kevin. I remember at the time wishing he would sign for us. I didn't know at the time that he was a North East lad and was delighted when he came to us a couple of years later.

Echo what Ghost has said, was certainly a shock when I read about his passing.
I remember that game Vic. It was a glorious evening and I went home in shock that we’d lost so badly. I didn’t realise Kevin was in their team but I remember him patrolling the left wing for us.

RIP Kevin. A sad loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:17 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:51 am
A bit of a shocker this is, always is when someone not very old passes away suddenly - and makes me think of my own mortality and how quickly I can be snuffed out and not see it coming.

Condolences to his friends and family.

That was a good front line. Dave Booth's first season saw, I think, some of the most entertaining Quakers performances I can remember. A 4-3 win at York in the Freight Rover stands out with Paul Ward dominating mid-field and the side piling forward. The only drawback was defense - we really took it to York that night but they still got three goals. It went the other way at Leyton Orient that season when we were 3-1 late on but let three in. I heard that Booth made the keeper get off and walk home from Wetherby but can anyone verify that. Stonehouse was still there the next season when everything collapsed and he put himself about and scored goals in a demoralised team. A very good player and it's sad on top of Skippers early death. God bless them.