Farsley V Darlington Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

HarrytheQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Farsley V Darlington Match Thread

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:59 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Elliott was poor, he didn't look like he could dominate his box. Thought the defence apart from Trotman looking really creaky. The pitch was the real winner, at least we won the second half. The sooner Heaton comes in the better. One thing that struck me in the first half, was how much taller the Farsley team were than us, all over the park. Great support from Darlo, at least three quarters of the total crowd, well apart from a certain individual.
Elliot wasn't poor, his defence let him down big time , let's slate another keeper just like last season

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

DARLO333

Post by DARLO333 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:16 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:59 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:Elliott was poor, he didn't look like he could dominate his box. Thought the defence apart from Trotman looking really creaky. The pitch was the real winner, at least we won the second half. The sooner Heaton comes in the better. One thing that struck me in the first half, was how much taller the Farsley team were than us, all over the park. Great support from Darlo, at least three quarters of the total crowd, well apart from a certain individual.
Elliot wasn't poor, his defence let him down big time , let's slate another keeper just like last season

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

He didn’t fill me with confidence like ...

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:31 pm

There was an absolute shambles going on in front of him in what should have been fairly routine defending.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:20 am

I may be one of the few, who had high hopes for Sat but actually felt it may be a hard game to win, (especially when I saw the length of the grass as well). Thought we started ok, but first goal we dropped back and isolated Cambell, bit of lack of confidence possibly because of the high expectations, and the large following of fans down there. I did feel for Elliott the keeper as the defence was all over the place and that was not going to instil in confidence in him. Thought he did ok except for the second goal. We played some decent football in the second half and with a bit of luck could have got something out of the game, Cambell's 1 to 1 with the keeper and Tyrones header both going straight at the keeper and Thommo deciding to try and pass to Cambell when he could have scored himself after doing all the hard work. Three silly goals to give away, but Cambell's goal was a beauty.

It is only the first game and while disappointed with the result, still confident this will be a decent season and can't wait for Wednesday against Gateshead.

"Up the Quakers"

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:34 am

In a game which possibly was the worst example of the 'non-league experience', in hindsight it was probably one of the worst opening games possible for us. A newly promoted team away, set up to play a system which I think we will struggle against at times, on a pitch which is the polar opposite of what we would ideally want. That doesn't excuse the shambolic defending in the first half of course. Hopefully it's just teething problems - I'll be staggered if we can't get a decent defence out of the defenders we have available. Second half we showed a bit more promise (albeit against a team who seemingly had given up attacking!), and at least made the scoreline look a bit more respectable. I'm expecting a much better performance on Wednesday

Best thing to come out of the game is Campbell getting a goal (and what a goal!) early in the season - if he can get on a roll then we have a serious player on our hands.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:29 am

Having watched the highlights this morning:

Laing's 'clearance for the first is shocking - he had all the time in the world and although there's a chance the pitch had an impact on how he struck the ball, from the camera angle it's unclear who he's trying to reach with that ball. He's looking to the left wing but you can see Liddle is much deeper and Holmes much further in than where the flight of the ball appears to be headed/he is looking. Nothing much anyone can do once their player intercepts the ball and it was a good finish.

The second goal I agree with an earlier comment, Galbraith should be tracking Cartman but just leaves him.

Third goal is just atrocious defending - nobody taking ownership for clearing that ball which shouldn't have made it past the near post.

In Holmes, Rivers and Thompson we seem to have three players who will get defenders on the back foot and they could be a real threat. Campbell also looks likely and technically fantastic - his goal was a brilliant strike, I doubt we'll see many better this season.

So from those highlights, plenty of promise going forward and better pitches will undoubtedly help with end product. Plenty of work to be done at the back though and (again hard to say exactly) from the highlights it looks like we're still lacking a leader at the back to get people organised.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:38 am

Spyman wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:29 am
Laing's 'clearance for the first is shocking - he had all the time in the world and although there's a chance the pitch had an impact on how he struck the ball, from the camera angle it's unclear who he's trying to reach with that ball.
Ainge -- Boosh "Have It".
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:58 am

The first goal is a shocker. However I reckon there is a foul in our attacking move this. So personally I think we should have a free kick there. However the clearance is poor. No idea who we were trying to pick out there. Second and third goal there aren't any mitigating circumstances there. They are both sloppy.

We did better in the second half and scored a good goal. On another day we possibly have enough chances to sneak a draw. But the reality is the game was done at half time. I'm not worried. A few seasons back we lost on the opening day to buxton and went on to win the league. First game doesn't mean a great deal really.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:00 am

I noticed Cartman fell foul of the new, improved law re substitutions.

When it was time for him to come off, he’d already purposefully drifted over to the far side of the pitch then reluctantly started his tired slow walk over to the dugouts.

Meanwhile, after goading from Darlo fans, the far side linesman instructed Cartman to leave from that side, to cut down on his ever so obvious time wasting ploy.

Cartman then had a childlike moan to the linesman “ do you expect me to walk all the way around there?” is actually what he said :lol:

The next Farsley sub made his way to the centre circle, which is obviously what we will now see more and more of.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:14 pm

The Farsley boss said that the gameplan was to "stop Darlington from getting their passing game going." It was clear that included providing a pitch on which passing and running with the ball was very difficult. It was a real bonus for him and his side that we threw in some clown defending for the goals that wasn't anything to do with the atrocious pitch that wasn't fit for this level of football... or probably any other level. No wonder Rotherham refused to play on it.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:36 pm

The first and the third goal are a shambles, but also. Lets be honest. We were probably going to struggle on that lousy pitch with the sort of football AA wants us to play this year (i'm genuinely interested to see if that's going to hold up for a season, it's way worse than BM was even before we had the pitch relaid). Still, it's disappointing, but not the end of the world. It's only one game. I'm still very happy with the recruitment and set up, and i'm more confident than last year. Here's hoping we can give Gateshead a good shoeing. Actually having a decent home record would go a long way to growing our home crowds.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:52 pm

...And Farsley Celtic took a point off league favourites (with the bookmakers that is) York City tonight

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:25 pm

To give an indication of how ridiculously open this division will be, only one side (Guiseley) has a 100% record after two games.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:27 pm

A healthy win could take us 7th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:29 pm

Darlogramps wrote:To give an indication of how ridiculously open this division will be, only one side (Guiseley) has a 100% record after two games.
If we can beat Gateshead by 3 goals tomorrow we will be 7th.This league will be wide open this year for certain.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:31 pm

I see only 2 sides get relegated this season or 1 if BPA keep going as they have in last 2 games

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:51 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:29 pm
Darlogramps wrote:To give an indication of how ridiculously open this division will be, only one side (Guiseley) has a 100% record after two games.
If we can beat Gateshead by 3 goals tomorrow we will be 7th.This league will be wide open this year for certain.

Gateshead will be tough, I can't see us shoeing them by more than 3.

They are full time, and have Mike Williamson and Micky Nelson in defence. Those two may be old these days, but still should be quality for this level. I can't see the Heed conceding too many this season.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:19 pm

Well said ghost I'd settle for a 1 0 victory tomorrow night to get us up and running.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:16 am

Just read the York match report from last night. Good result for the away side backed by 98 travelling supporters.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:57 am

D_F_C wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:27 pm
A healthy win could take us 7th!

A healthy defeat could see us bottom too... :lol:

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:05 am

darlo reborn wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:31 pm
I see only 2 sides get relegated this season or 1 if BPA keep going as they have in last 2 games
BPA are now facing the perfect storm because the owner (genuine though he is) has had enough of chucking huge amounts into the club. They pushed out a good manager and brought in a complete rookie and cleared out virtually the entire squad and enlisted a combination of kids and sub-standard players. Now the bankrolling has been drastically reduced, it's likely to only end one way.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:17 am

It'll come to 'em all

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:30 pm

Maybe BPA will have the PrideOfEvenwood below them on minus points after they have points deducted and a big fine imposed for failing to fulfill Saturday's home fixture with Boston :oops:

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:53 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Maybe BPA will have the PrideOfEvenwood below them on minus points after they have points deducted and a big fine imposed for failing to fulfill Saturday's home fixture with Boston :oops:
Pretty sure they were due to play Blyth last night and this was also cancelled.Plain crazy seeding a pitch from scratch so close to the start of the season, surely with the money Groves is pumping into the club then turfing should have been the only option.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:28 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:53 pm
Plain crazy seeding a pitch from scratch so close to the start of the season, surely with the money Groves is pumping into the club then turfing should have been the only option.

Not sure what you expect to happen, its a brand new pitch. work started immediately after last season finished. To install a brand new pitch, including drainage etc. simply is not possible in 2 months.

Given the club have followed the expert advice and provided the League with evidence of this from the outset, there is not much more they could have done.

Liverpool got games moved to enable them to build a stand as did West Ham to allow athletes to run around their ground. Its not unusual to move games at start / end of season for major projects.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:45 pm

In the words of the judge, General Melchett, before the Blackadder court martial even begins: "Hand me the black cap, i'll be needing that later." :D

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:13 pm

spen666 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:28 pm
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Plain crazy seeding a pitch from scratch so close to the start of the season, surely with the money Groves is pumping into the club then turfing should have been the only option.

Not sure what you expect to happen, its a brand new pitch. work started immediately after last season finished. To install a brand new pitch, including drainage etc. simply is not possible in 2 months.

Given the club have followed the expert advice and provided the League with evidence of this from the outset, there is not much more they could have done.

Liverpool got games moved to enable them to build a stand as did West Ham to allow athletes to run around their ground. Its not unusual to move games at start / end of season for major projects.
Accrington did it, and they don't even have a sugar daddy shoving tenner into their keks

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:17 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:13 pm
spen666 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:28 pm
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Accrington did it, and they don't even have a sugar daddy shoving tenner into their keks

Money doesn't make the time period any longer!

Accrington also spent £300k on their new pitch, so not exactly cheap

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:20 pm

So it *is* possible?