Expectations 19/20

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

real_darlo_85
Team Supported: Darlington

Expectations 19/20

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:16 pm

Well, now that AA has overhauled the squad and the preseason friendlies are over, this time next week we will be mulling over the result of the first competitive game of the 19/20 season. But what are everyone's expectations considering the changes to the squad, preseason performances etc.?

Personally, I think that AA has done a tremendous job in such a relatively short space of time to discard most of TWs flops and bring in the players he knows and play to a system or systems that he knows have worked. I am pleased he has brought in his gang from Blyth but I am also impressed with his eye on the talented trailists we have had, although not all will earn a contract, and we have been very lucky that circumstances have fallen in our favour to bring back Heaton.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say we will reach the play-offs but I don't think it's beyond us to push for the title. Things just seem far more certain and structured, almost like when MG was in charge, than the seemingly lackadaisical approach TWs regime had 12 months ago. I could be completely wrong but surely I'm not the only one quietly confident? :shifty:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

super_les_mcjannet

Re: Expectations 19/20

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:21 pm

Think we need to dampen any expectations, Armstrong certainly wants us to.

Below are my thoughts and anything else will be a bonus.
  • Not in the bottom 8 looking over our shoulder all season.
  • Like to see the top half a few times.
  • Possibly in with a shout of the play-offs all the way until end of March.
  • Attendances to slightly increase on last year.
  • Club to run a small profit.
  • No 500 club addition again - we need to move away from this if we can.
Last edited by super_les_mcjannet on Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:22 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:21 pm
Think we need to dampen any expectations, Armstrong certainly wants us to.

Below are my thoughts and anything else will be a bonus.
  • Not in the bottom 8 looking over our shoulder all season.
    Like to see the top half a few times.
    Possibly in with a shout of the play-offs all the way until end of March.
    Attendances to slightly increase on last year.
    Club to run a small profit.
    No 500 club addition again - we need to move away from this if we can.
And a cup run!!!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:24 pm

The cup run, is the unwritten thing that can rely on good draws, luck etc. It's something I want but have to accept that it might not happen and anything with that is a real bonus.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:37 pm

I’d be happy with finishing top half and getting through a few rounds of the FA Cup, increasing attendances/season ticket numbers etc.

We are light years away from the likes of Hereford/York/Spenny/Telford in terms of resources.

I think any talk of promotion pushes after having a half decent pre season is very optimistic, and could be seen as people getting ahead of themselves.

Armstrong is clearly looking to put the foundations in this season to have a serious play off push in the next few seasons. He’s clearly got a medium term plan so we all have to be very patient and let him get on with it. If we have an iffy start to the season people need to engage their brains and look at the big picture.

The competition in this league is fierce and our budget is probably less than half than the biggest budget in the league (Ours is likely to be around £250,000, Hereford have increased theirs to £700,000 this season) so patience is key.

Darlogramps

Expectations 19/20

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:01 pm

Thing is, we've changed so much this season it's really hard to know what to expect.

From last season, only Thompson, Trotman and Galbraith are likely first teamers (if we presume Hatfield and Atkinson are first choice CM pairing over Wheatley). It's a whole new team with a new coaching set up.

On the basis of there being so much change, I think expecting a season of transition where we're competing for the top half is realistic. A cup run would be ideal, although we all know our record when it comes to those.

This league always tends to be so open, so trying to predict anything is quite difficult, more so because of the change in playing personnel. But I'd be disappointed if we're in the bottom third come the end of the season.

However, if we finished top 12 or top 10, with consolidation off-the-field (and a cup run!), I’d be happy with that.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:24 pm

As most football fans at any level, you start a season with a new optimism especially when you bring in a new manager/players.
I know today was only a friendly but the performance was way ahead of most of what we played last season, it was encouraging, good tempo and what seems a plan to how we are going to play.
I big playing budget is obviously an advantage, but AA produced a team with Blyth on a lesser budget than he has now, I am am a believer that its the players attitude that gets you where you want/should be and this lot look to have it,so for me a week away from the start, I think we can achieve a playoff place, but as fans we must get behind the club, slagging off players will not make them preform better.
Anyway its DTID :thumbup:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:24 pm

If any thinks we are pushing for the playoffs and higher then they need to take a reality check.. Let's not run before we can walk things take time, just because we are Darlington an ex league team doesn't give us the right to expect AA to get close to promotion this season , like Gramps has said we should be miles away from York,Hereford, Telford etc... but I hope for a top half strong season and crowds to come back and be entertained

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:05 am

Gramps is right. Let's not get ahead of ourselves because we've beaten Boro's kids in a pre-season friendly. I hardly think that equates to the title not being beyond us. We look better placed than last season, but remember how far off we were last season. Yes, we've got 5 of Blyth's play off side but we didn't get Maguire, and i don't think they'd have finished in the play offs without him.
I expect us to finish comfortably mid table at the worst, and possibly challenge a play off spot, but let's not put unneccessary expectations on the club. Unlike some, we are not financially capable of reacting to unforeseen injuries or loss of form. The football looks as though it will be far more enjoyable to watch, and that should be something to celebrate if nothing else.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:13 am

I personally am really looking forward to this season, not because I think we will get promotion, (I think this year is at least a season too early financially for the club), but the football in pre season has been excellent, the movement off the ball was something we missed last season and the team looks to be playing as a team. This may tempt a few more fans back which may allow a bit more budget for AA to build the team. I am even beginning to believe we can win one of the big cup games, a short run in both FA and Trophy cups would be brilliant ( with a bit of luck in the draws of course), we may even get on Tele again😁. Roll on Sat, which I think will be a tough game as Farsley will be full of confidence after getting promotion last year and young Cartman will be looking to prove a point I expect.

"Up the Quakers"

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:53 am

I personally think expecting a promotion push is a touch unrealistic. If everything comes together then we may have a chance of reaching the playoffs, but I'm personally not expecting that. The only expectation I have is of seeing progress on the pitch. After the mess of last season, I just want to see a team which knows its strengths, plays to them, and can provide a bit of excitement. The early signs are promising - Armstrong seems to know how he wants the team to play, something which Wright never really settled on. Of course you can't judge too much from pre-season, but I'm cautiously optimistic about the season ahead. I'm also very excited to see what it brings - and considering at the back end of last season I was questioning whether to even get a season ticket this season, that's quite a turnaround!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:08 am

I am a great believer in a good start brings a good season.(Yes I remember 1969, 2000, etc),
I would love take a start of something like 4 wins a draw and 1 loss as an indicator we could be there or there abouts.
To my way of thinking we could do with a good start simply to pull a few extra faces through the doors. If we are playing decent football then it will happen so much easier than with hoofball dross.
I am also a firm believer that if you are in a competition you are in it to win it, otherwise there is no point so I see no harm in saying we can win it. We have as many points as anyone else at this stage so why not? What is important is that people trim their expectations to match the possibilities without becoming disheartened and dropping away.
My simple wish for the season is more people at games. More money in the bank at the end of the season, and as someone else mentioned, we get to that point without having to extend the 500 club further.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:00 am

My wish for the coming season is mainly to see progress over what was served up last year, and, in particular, a much improved home record. It is great for those who do travel to get reward for their efforts with decent performances and results, but a major improvement in results and form at home is a priority if we want to encourage the floating fans to come back. Last season's home form kicked off really poorly and despite some decent bits here and there never recovered, and neither did the attendances. And wherever we end up in the league, a confident start is always a big plus. Whoever you have playing for you confidence brings results, which brings more confidence. I think Armstrong has made a good showing in the preseason. All the games have shown a side that believes in itself, and is currently bursting with confidence. We need to get a few early points on the board and not be hanging about wondering where the first win is going to come from. And bringing in a point made on another thread about the need for a reliable goalscorer, I do hope that we find our man amongst those we have on the books. I agree that having a fluid forward line, such as has been played in the preseason, may mean that we have a number of players who will share the burden, and that is no bad thing. But most successful teams, when the going gets tough and they need to grind out a result when things aren't firing, usually rely on that go to player who can get a vital goal. Anywhere that keeps us looking up rather than down will do for me, and if we can do that whilst putting some money in the bank with some cup success will count as a decent end result.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:41 am

Harry Charlton's cat,you say by beating boro kids ,we have a relatively young team age wise I don't think they are much younger, we played much better than the boro kids ,most of darlo are around 21/25 year olds ,so not exactly old are you saying because they were boro kids we should have won anyway.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:57 am

onewayup wrote:Harry Charlton's cat,you say by beating boro kids ,we have a relatively young team age wise I don't think they are much younger, we played much better than the boro kids ,most of darlo are around 21/25 year olds ,so not exactly old are you saying because they were boro kids we should have won anyway.
No way should we play down that result yesterday, those Boro lads will be groomed to step straight into the reserves then the Championship side.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:17 pm

Not saying we should have expected to beat them comfortably, no. I'm saying don't put too much faith in a pre-season friendly result.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:28 pm

Mine is simply to stop conceding so many goals, last season we let in 62 I want that figure to be 40 or less, we have just got to be hard to beat, that’s it.
Of course if we can achieve that figure by playing some nice football and scoring a few, that’s the bonus.
But achieve that goal conceded figure we’ll be doing ok 👍

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:29 pm

For me, mid-table is the least I expect from the coming season, a push for the play offs would be good, but anything above mid table will be a bonus.

Add a cup run, earn a few quid and I will be happy

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:34 pm

at the moment, I'm not too worried by a goalscorer. With this formation, the responsibility for scoring isn't solely on Campbell. He will be expected to score 10-15, but I think Rivers, Thompson and Holmes will also expect to be at about the same. The way they interchange their positions, the defenses don't know who to follow

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:45 pm

I’m feeling positive about the upcoming season. We’ve said goodbye to a poor management team and a mostly iffy set of players, and replaced them with a better, proven management team and incoming players, who because of the Blyth connection know each other.

This familiarity is important and should enable the team to get off to a good start, also Campbell and (fingers crossed) Heaton are great additions to an already good squad of players.

To me, the changes since T.W. left have been better than I thought they would be and my expectation is that we will be in with a good chance of a top seven place,
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:18 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
onewayup wrote:Harry Charlton's cat,you say by beating boro kids ,we have a relatively young team age wise I don't think they are much younger, we played much better than the boro kids ,most of darlo are around 21/25 year olds ,so not exactly old are you saying because they were boro kids we should have won anyway.
No way should we play down that result yesterday, those Boro lads will be groomed to step straight into the reserves then the Championship side.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
I don’t think they have reserve sides anymore. Straight from under 23 to team or released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:56 pm

Having seen Blyth last season I personally believe the team we currently have is a lot stronger than that team and we have more of a squad. The question is have we someone up front like Maguire who is going to get 25 goals or have we a number of players who are going to get us 10+.

What I noticed over the past two seasons with Blyth was it was either a win or loss with very few draws. If they had the likes of Atkinson and Hatfield in their team from day one they would have been a totally different proposition.

It will be interesting to see how we start the season off but setting up as an opposition team trying to nullify the creativity of Thommo, Holmes, Rivers Campbell O'neil and to bring on the likes of Donawa will be a nightmare.

From what I have seen so far and looking at last season and the standard of football in the league I am hopefull of getting into the playoffs. If we hit the ground running I think we will take some stopping.

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:48 pm

a cup run is a must

top 10 would be acceptable

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:04 pm

Maintain the faith & hopefully all the lads play for pride in the shirt, not just the money. Plenty of honest endeavour, no shirkers and some exciting football.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:14 pm

Cup run and a top 10 finish for me. Nice bit of prize money and revenue and get the ground sorted, if only it was that easy 😆

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:31 pm

On the pitch:
- Top 10 finish
- Within touching distance of the playoffs (7th place) to the final few games of the season.
- Cup run in either the FA Cup or FA Trophy.

Off the pitch:
- Decision made on the long term location of the club. And plans released of potential developments required.
- 1500+ average crowds for the season.
- No extension required to 500 club.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:39 pm

JE93 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:31 pm
On the pitch:
- Top 10 finish
- Within touching distance of the playoffs (7th place) to the final few games of the season.
- Cup run in either the FA Cup or FA Trophy.

Off the pitch:
- Decision made on the long term location of the club. And plans released of potential developments required.
- 1500+ average crowds for the season.
- No extension required to 500 club.

I’d be really happy with this - very pleased with how things are moving along under AA

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:00 am

Top half with a few looks at the play offs during the season - oh and a cup run and increased crowds, would be a more than acceptable season for me.

People need to remember that we don't have Maguire, and not underestimate the importance of that talisman type figure who can always grab a goal when you need one. Maybe Campbell or O'Neill can be that man but the jury will be out on that one for a while.

Yes we have several who can chip in, but we did last season also - remember the powder puff front line of "Harvey" and Kneeshaw? We had Nicholson and Thompson during that time, they chipped in with their fair share, but we were still pretty toothless, we just did not have that cutting edge.

So yes, while we talk of Rivers, Thompson and Holmes all getting a few goals apiece (and they will), you still need that "main man" to be the main goalscorer.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:36 pm

Having read the posts I think Super Les and Gramps have set things out sensibly. Staying in the top half would be great and would mean the play-offs wouldn't be a day dream but I can't help thinking promotion might be too much this season. If we can get a run in the cups it would generate income and excitement but really anything better than scrapping at the wrong end would be enough. I hope that doesn't seem too downbeat but maybe Armstrong is our man and incremental growth over a few seasons our way ahead. One thing that seemed positive to me from last season is how well the club is being managed at the executive level; Wright was allowed to go with some dignity and Armstrong taken on properly. It must have been a challenge all round and it seems to me we've got some very capable people at the club now. Reasons to be cheerful, even in the Tin Shed.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:39 pm

AA in his latest interview says 'They've all been smashing bar one or two from last year'. I assume this means Jonny Burn, but who else?