Halifax Friendly Now at Blackwell Meadows

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Halifax Friendly Now at Blackwell Meadows

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:45 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:I thought as those statements were quite obviously over the top and ridiculous, people would realise my post was aimed at Quakers83, obviously not.
There you go loan_star, it wasn’t a criticism of me. TBF, I read it as Darlo_Rob intended.

Ironically enough, it’s loan_star who’s got the wrong end of the stick.

Again, I don’t really see any criticism of Bascome that’s unfair or over the top in this thread. It’s all perfectly reasonable and justifiable.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:48 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:12 pm
Its a common theme, someone gets off to a bad start (i.e. Stockport away) and people make their judgement from that and will jump on any little mistake he makes to back up that view.
All he said was that he wasn't that impressed with Bell, but that he wasn't going to judge him on 5/10 minutes.

I think you and Quakers83 are overreacting. People are allowed opinions, and this one was pretty mild anyways.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:54 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:24 pm
The rest of my post was very positive even saying that I thought one of our players had a decent match even though Gramps savaged him in his post by saying he wasn’t convinced by him.
He said you "savaged him"? I didn't think you did so how is it I got the wrong end of the stick?

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:48 pm
All he said was that he wasn't that impressed with Bell, but that he wasn't going to judge him on 5/10 minutes.

I think you and Quakers83 are overreacting. People are allowed opinions, and this one was pretty mild anyways.
If you read my post all I said is that some fans need a whipping boy to have a pop at. Bascombe got off to a bad start with us and it looks like his every mistake gets picked on. Out of the squad we have it appears that he is the one that needs to work harder win some fans over than anyone else.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:54 pm

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I’m not in the ‘you can’t say anything negative’ camp, but from watching the game yesterday I’m struggling to see how anyone could say they weren’t impressed with Bell? That was my biggest issue, which is why I posted.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:24 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:24 pm
The rest of my post was very positive even saying that I thought one of our players had a decent match even though Gramps savaged him in his post by saying he wasn’t convinced by him.
He said you "savaged him"? I didn't think you did so how is it I got the wrong end of the stick?

Darlo_Rob doesn’t think I savaged Bascome. The “savaged” comment was a humorous exaggeration Darlo_Rob made in response to Quakers83.

It wasn’t a criticism of me or my point. Indeed he says there’s been no unfair criticism of Bascome in this thread.

You’ve got the wrong end of the stick because you seem to think Darlo_Rob is criticising me, when in fact he’s being a bit facetious to Quakers83. Darlo_Rob has even said this is the case.
loan_star wrote: If you read my post all I said is that some fans need a whipping boy to have a pop at. Bascombe got off to a bad start with us and it looks like his every mistake gets picked on.
No it doesn’t.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:31 pm

I’m very surprised it needed explaining, but thank you anyway gramps. Massive whoosh loan_star.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:44 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:24 pm
loan_star wrote: If you read my post all I said is that some fans need a whipping boy to have a pop at. Bascombe got off to a bad start with us and it looks like his every mistake gets picked on.
No it doesn’t.
Generally it does. Recent example is Maddison. Makes a bad start then he gets savaged for every mistake he makes.
When I started watching Darlo it was Dave McLean who got the stick, even Currie got stick in his first season. I could name plenty more players who were always the ones who got stick.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:54 pm

But we’re talking about Bascome. And there’s nothing here in this thread to suggest Bascome is going to be a scapegoat, which was what you said.

People pointing out he was at fault for the goal isn’t scapegoating, it’s a fact.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:54 pm
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I’m not in the ‘you can’t say anything negative’ camp, but from watching the game yesterday I’m struggling to see how anyone could say they weren’t impressed with Bell? That was my biggest issue, which is why I posted.
What I seen of Bell - He had quick feet and good movement, does he have an end product against decent teams at the age of 17/18 not so sure. Armstrong will see more so I will go with his judgement we do need an extra few bodies to pad out the squad and maybe if Bell is cheap enough he could be a good option.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:07 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:54 pm
But we’re talking about Bascome. And there’s nothing here in this thread to suggest Bascome is going to be a scapegoat, which was what you said.

People pointing out he was at fault for the goal isn’t scapegoating, it’s a fact.
Read my posts properly. I said of all the players we have it seems that he is going to be the one that will have to work the hardest to win the fans over so anything he does wrong is likely to be highlighted more than say Thompson wasting a goalscoring opportunity for arguments sake.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:46 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:54 pm

Read my posts properly. I said of all the players we have it seems that he is going to be the one that will have to work the hardest to win the fans over so anything he does wrong is likely to be highlighted more than say Thompson wasting a goalscoring opportunity for arguments sake.
I’ve read your posts properly.

And there’s nothing in this thread, or indeed anywhere, to support your assertion Bascome is likeliest to be a scapegoat (you’ve referenced abuse, previous players who were scapegoated and you think fans will seize on Bascome’s mistakes).

What are you basing that on? The fact people are pointing out he was responsible for Halifax’s first goal?

Genuinely, what is making you say that?

P.S. I notice you’re too weak to acknowledge your misunderstanding of Darlo_Rob’s posts.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:55 am

Here we go again...

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:19 am

And it's only pre-season!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:51 am

It’s a warm up for things to come......... It’s a pre season un-friendly!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:56 am

To be fair the derailment of the thread if mostly my fault. I queried why I and later other posters on this thread were being accused of abusing players, when there isn’t one post on this thread that does that. At the very worst there is very minor criticism, but if anyone constitutes it as abuse, we might as well close this forum down.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:32 am

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:56 am
To be fair the derailment of the thread if mostly my fault. I queried why I and later other posters on this thread were being accused of abusing players, when there isn’t one post on this thread that does that. At the very worst there is very minor criticism, but if anyone constitutes it as abuse, we might as well close this forum down.
I didnt accuse anyone of targeting a player for abuse, merely making the comment that there is always one that is the scapegoat and is the person who has to bust a gut to prove these people wrong. In this case, because of how his Darlo career started out, he is likely to be the one who is in this position than anyone else in the squad. Of course theres always some pedantic person who wants to argue the point to the end of the earth despite me clarifying the point, because he has got the wrong end of the stick on this. However nobody else is allowed to get the wrong end of the stick, especially when sarcasm is being used on an internet forum.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:29 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:51 am
It’s a warm up for things to come......... It’s a pre season un-friendly!
B-gger! I missed this! Popcorn back in the cupboard for next time....