Motherwell game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakersfan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Motherwell game

Post by quakersfan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:32 am

On yesterday’s display it looks like we could have an interesting season, thought all players put a stint in.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:59 am

Spyman wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:53 pm
Just watched the excellent as always highlights. Hard to judge from that but looked like we started brightly and then faded, Motherwell took control. To be expected really.

Rivers looked bright early on.

Thought Elliott should have done better with the second - looked like it went through his hands. Is he right or left footed as that may explain the misskick for the first.

Defensively we looked fairly solid, probably down to three of the four having player together at Blyth.

I liked the look of baldie in midfield. Campbell looks technically good, I really hope Armstrong can bring the best out of him.

Who was the tiny (oriental?) lad that played second half, no squad number?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Agree with this form what I saw. Hatfield looked like he can control a game from CM and Campbell looked sharp and dangerous just probably about 20 yards deeper than maybe we want him to be looking dangerous.

I thought Holness fell asleep a bit for the second when I looked at it but I think that sort of rustiness is to be expected first pre-season game we had.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:06 am

Spyman wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:53 pm
Just watched the excellent as always highlights. Hard to judge from that but looked like we started brightly and then faded, Motherwell took control. To be expected really.

Rivers looked bright early on.

Thought Elliott should have done better with the second - looked like it went through his hands. Is he right or left footed as that may explain the misskick for the first.

Defensively we looked fairly solid, probably down to three of the four having player together at Blyth.

I liked the look of baldie in midfield. Campbell looks technically good, I really hope Armstrong can bring the best out of him.

Who was the tiny (oriental?) lad that played second half, no squad number?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The ball didn’t go through Elliott’s hands, it also took a nick off Laing about 8 yards out. Nothing he could do.

In terms of the clearance going out of play, the back-pass was very poor and put the ‘keeper under pressure. Can’t blame him for shanking it on that pitch.

I was more disappointed in Jonny Burn who once again cost us a goal. Clattered their CF unnecessarily right on the edge of the box and then moved out of the wall for the FK.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:07 am

My worry this season, at the moment, is up front. Campbell wants to be a number 9 but isn't exactly tall and Thommo used as a number 10, again not the tallest. Both will and have been given the impression of first Xl starting slots and to me it feels a little like trying to shoe-horn them in.

The system might work against some opposition and on pitches where we can pass and move and play through on the ground (early season). However, it's how we play against teams that will look to man-mark with tall defenders and on pitches where it may be necessary to go more direct, where it may well be a weakness. We still require an alternative strategy up front.

I wasn't at the match so I can't comment on how effective the front line or attacking set up was, but this is my only real gripe so far.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:14 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:07 am
My worry this season, at the moment, is up front. Campbell wants to be a number 9 but isn't exactly tall and Thommo used as a number 10, again not the tallest. Both will and have been given the impression of first Xl starting slots and to me it feels a little like trying to shoe-horn them in.

The system might work against some opposition and on pitches where we can pass and move and play through on the ground (early season). However, it's how we play against teams that will look to man-mark with tall defenders and on pitches where it may be necessary to go more direct, where it may well be a weakness. We still require an alternative strategy up front.

I wasn't at the match so I can't comment on how effective the front line or attacking set up was, but this is my only real gripe so far.
I’d have thought teams with tall defenders would be the ones who we would have more joy against.

Blyth’s plan A was built around 3 small forwards last year and that didn’t work out too badly so whilst I would maybe have been concerned that does gives me some comfort that AA knows how to play it and it works. The key is that the players all know their jobs and their set patterns of play to exploit (which didn’t look to be the case last season).

We probably looked at our best last season with a front 3 of Nelson, Thompson and Saunders with Nicholson in behind - not exactly the biggest line-up and if AA can get Campbell firing then I don’t think it matters how tall he is.

Of course it’s always handy to have a plan B in matches to introduce from the bench and I’m sure that a taller forward will be brought to the club, probably on loan, but expect that will be as a last resort.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:19 am

Blyth played with Maguire up top on his own with players around him linking in. It worked very well for them in the three seasons Armstrong managed up there.

Don’t need a tall player up front to be successful. Plus these players are at a premium so cost stupid amounts of money, and we aren’t going down the road of spending stupid money these days, thankfully.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:13 am

Anyone know why the Boy Wonder Glover did not feature at all yesterday? Other Absentees were mentioned but not him?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:17 am

bga wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:13 am
Anyone know why the Boy Wonder Glover did not feature at all yesterday? Other Absentees were mentioned but not him?
On trial elsewhere according to the Echo a couple of weeks ago.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:12 am

Given that TW said Glover will go all the way in the pro game and is one of the most gifted and exciting prospects in non-league football, I would expect him to be first in the queue to sign him.

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:15 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:12 am
Given that TW said Glover will go all the way in the pro game and is one of the most gifted and exciting prospects in non-league football, I would expect him to be first in the queue to sign him.
Can’t afford him I’ve heard

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:02 pm

It sounds like we have finally found a replacement for Josh Falkingham in Hatfield, great signing!

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:04 pm

Great performance.Spoke to a Motherwell fan at HT and he said 7/8 of the 11 that started against Darlo would start in their opening SPL fixture. 2nd half had a lot of youth/trialists on both sides so hard to judge.

Think we need another forward to assist Campbell.

They had beaten Linfield and at the end of their pre season so amazing how fit some of our guys were.

Exact opposite of last season at Eindhoven where certain players looked less fit than me!

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:06 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:07 am

Its a fair comment, we looked light up front and the Bermudan lad didnt have a good chance to impress.