More signings pls xoxo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

ReeceStyche’sManbun
Team Supported: Darlington

More signings pls xoxo

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:50 pm

We’ve made a very good start to the window bringing in Liddle, Laing, Rivers, Atkinson and Holmes, but was just wondering if anyone had heard about any other potential signings, I know after the fans forum that Big Al seems quietly confident on Maguire and Jameson Which would be belters of signings like if we pulled them off, but was just wondering if anyone has heard/got any other names to chuck into the mix for potential signings.

Darlopartisan

Re: More signings pls xoxo

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:25 pm

It has gone a bit quiet, after the 5 player surge, perhaps Blyth have locked the back door.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:56 am

The transfer targets are on holiday in Ibiza.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:19 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:The transfer targets are on holiday in Ibiza.
Who do you reckon Adam and who would you like?.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

jjlewis1k89

Post by jjlewis1k89 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:40 am

Whilst at the fans forum I was talking to a guy at the bar (turned out to be John Vickerman) who said there may be some other surprises apart from potentially PJ or Maguire so watch this space???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:07 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:19 am

I'm hoping the other Ex-Blyth players work on McGuire and Jameson. I have a hunch that Tom Elliot will join Tommy at Stratford if he's out of contract. I also think Ainge will want to go, so another 3 apart from McGuire and Jameson.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:11 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:19 am

I'm hoping the other Ex-Blyth players work on McGuire and Jameson. I have a hunch that Tom Elliot will join Tommy at Stratford if he's out of contract. I also think Ainge will want to go, so another 3 apart from McGuire and Jameson.
Think Glover will go also, possibly Tommy will sign him with add-ons inserted.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:37 am

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:50 pm
We’ve made a very good start to the window bringing in Liddle, Laing, Rivers, Atkinson and Holmes, but was just wondering if anyone had heard about any other potential signings, I know after the fans forum that Big Al seems quietly confident on Maguire and Jameson Which would be belters of signings like if we pulled them off, but was just wondering if anyone has heard/got any other names to chuck into the mix for potential signings.
I think AA was hopeful of signing Maguire rather than “quietly confident “.Big difference.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:39 am

Literally against all odds if we got Maguire.
We can’t pay him what he has been offered or offer him expectation of going up.

The only card we have is that Armstrong has managed him and he would get a decent wage but not what he can get elsewhere.

Believe he is still in talks with a number of clubs.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:45 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:39 am
Literally against all odds if we got Maguire.
We can’t pay him what he has been offered or offer him expectation of going up.

The only card we have is that Armstrong has managed him and he would get a decent wage but not what he can get elsewhere.

Believe he is still in talks with a number of clubs.
My understanding is that Maguire has turned Spennymoor down once and they have come back to the table with improved terms and a huge signing on fee

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:54 am

Spenny have well and truly shot some massive numbers towards Maguire.

Let’s say he will be pushing at least 40k a year in wages if he signs. Not including the huge signing on fee they’ve offered.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:58 am

Insane numbers that we can’t compete with running a prudent and sensible financial model.

I reckon Maguire would have loved to come and play under Armstrong again and with players he’s played with previously, but I personally wouldn’t turn down that offer, got to look after yourself financially.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:06 am

I believe Maguire has concerns over playing time at spennymoor due to the system they play and Taylor currently has that role , also that the offer he has is very much determined on performance related additions

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:41 am

Gow9900 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:58 am
Insane numbers that we can’t compete with running a prudent and sensible financial model.

I reckon Maguire would have loved to come and play under Armstrong again and with players he’s played with previously, but I personally wouldn’t turn down that offer, got to look after yourself financially.
Whilst we can’t hit the number Spenny will/are offering, let’s be honest we probably can still offer a decent deal - we don’t pay peanuts just we can be beaten by Spenny and York at this level.

Our offer is play for Armstrong on probably more than what he got at Blyth and be our main man up front. Also paying with a lot of his mates from Blyth.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:42 am

Lallacab wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:06 am
I believe Maguire has concerns over playing time at spennymoor due to the system they play and Taylor currently has that role , also that the offer he has is very much determined on performance related additions
I concur with what you are saying.

He also has offers from full time clubs but it’s whether he wants to move away from his job.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:56 am

Gow9900 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:58 am

LoidLucan has repeatedly claimed on here that Tuton was on £800 a week. I don't know if that is true, but if it is then we can imagine the sort of money that Maguire will have been offered - they, really, REALLY want him - just to put him on their bench and stop Darlo having him. A figure approaching four figures per week is certainly not out of the question in my opinion, if the likes of Tuton were on £800.

On top of that, a signing on fee. If we recall two or three seasons ago when Spenny signed David Foley, didn't South Shields claim that he was given a five figure signing on fee? And that was then, before they REALLY started throwing numbers around. Let's just assume that the five figure signing on fee for Foley was "only" £10,000, give them the benefit of the doubt and not claim it was any more? Then look at Maguire - he's a better player than Foley and more in demand. I wouldn't even like to guess at the mind boggling signing on fee that he has been offered.

Yet you have Spendy fans on twitter thinking they're clever and thinking the money they throw around is funny. One particularly obsessed fan on twitter who virtually lives to read this board and copies messages from here on to twitter, cheerily chirped "we will sign who we want" the other day. Oh how I'd love to see that cunnt fall flat on his fat fucking face.

There just seems to be no concern from Spendy fans whatsoever about the money that they spend. What's Maguire likely to get here, a packet of biscuits and a pat on the back? Joking aside, what, maybe 400 or 500 a week? Still good money for a part time player if you ask me, but not even close to what Spendy can pay.

So in reality, we have virtually no chance of getting Maguire. It will be a coup and a half if we do.

What really gets me is why do Spendy throw such numbers around? Claiming to be the pride of county Durham - to me that's a veiled dig at Darlo, a passive aggressive way of insinuating indirectly that they are better club - but take Groves away and where would they be?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:34 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:56 am

What really gets me is why do Spendy throw such numbers around? Claiming to be the pride of county Durham - to me that's a veiled dig at Darlo, a passive aggressive way of insinuating indirectly that they are better club - but take Groves away and where would they be?
Northern Premier League at best.

Spennymoor throwing silly money about by all accounts. It is what it is, and I don’t mind it as I’d rather we did things our own organic and sustainable way.

It’s just their fans that are in complete denial about the level they are being financed by Groves & believe it’s all down to sponsorship. It’s laughable really.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:43 pm

I see no reason they wont be in the playoffs or win the league next season, but after all the investment last season and next if they don't get promoted then it might, just might make Brad think about his investment into the club.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:23 pm

It’s not a nailed on fact that Spennymoor will have a good season. Things can and do go wrong. Bad vibes, injuries, loss of form and waterlogged pitch are some potential issues. I mean, with all this money being spent on players, will the ground improvement fairies be able to produce results?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:39 pm

It's not just the players that they're chucking cash at. They say they've invested a six-figure sum aimed at improving the Brewey Field on match-days. The pitch will be of "Football League quality" as layers are being stripped away to reduce the slope and a new irrigation system installed with pop-up sprinklers. The spending on and off the pitch is huge.

They are talking like this will be the crunch season for them to see how far they can go and if they can attract fans from all over County Durham to buy season tickets.

Tony Wilson, Managing Director, said: "We’re putting every effort into making Spennymoor Town the best value-for-money football club in the North East of England. 

“But we need a response from supporters.  We need to sell more season tickets and we need to increase our average attendance.  Essentially, this year will determine what sort of fan base Spennymoor Town can really have and just how far this club can go."

Be interesting to see if loads more fans really do buy into this "Pride of County Durham" stuff. Sounds like they really need to this time and not just when clubs like us bring a thousand.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:11 pm

They've made numerous ultimatums in the past, but all of them get ignored. I guess they can be if people know that they'll just be bankrolled.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:30 pm

I just don't think it will work on any kind of large scale. County Durham's football fans are largely carved up between Newcastle and Sunderland and some who support local non-league clubs. Darlington is the County's biggest town and no-one from there is going suddenly switch to Brad's pet project. People from Durham City or Peterlee or Barnard Castle or Consett or Newton Aycliffe or Easington arent going to jump on board because the season tickets are cheap and Spenny say they're the pride of County Durham.

I think they'll probably have to accept that they've just about reached the peak of what they can attract by way of home support and that will probably drop like a stone if they have an average or poor season. It's just the way it is.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:10 pm

Hoping we hear about 1/2 more players next week.

When do we report back for pre-season training like?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:58 am

AndyPark wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:10 pm
Hoping we hear about 1/2 more players next week.

When do we report back for pre-season training like?
23rd June (according to the video uploaded on youtube) last season so presumably something similar this year?

Wouldn't mind some new signings to talk about :lol:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Nikkita Parris & Ellen White (no relation to Alan) would be useful up front!

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:14 pm

Sunderland have released Max Stryjek and Luke Molynuex wonder if they could be potential players we could look at

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:21 pm

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:Sunderland have released Max Stryjek and Luke Molynuex wonder if they could be potential players we could look at
Stryjek was last in the Football League, so would take desperation for him to drop to part time level.

Same goes for Molyneux, he’ll be wanting a full-time gig at National League Premier level, at worst.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:Sunderland have released Max Stryjek and Luke Molynuex wonder if they could be potential players we could look at
Stryjek was last in the Football League, so would take desperation for him to drop to part time level.

Same goes for Molyneux, he’ll be wanting a full-time gig at National League Premier level, at worst.
Pools are hopeful of getting Molyneux and a few league 2 clubs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:35 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Molyneux no chance but can’t see why Stryjek wouldn’t be an option. He was last at Eastleigh and came back as he was homesick to be back in the NE. Played once for Accrington prior to that.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:48 pm

divas wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Molyneux no chance but can’t see why Stryjek wouldn’t be an option. He was last at Eastleigh and came back as he was homesick to be back in the NE. Played once for Accrington prior to that.
I’d be surprised if he wound up here. He’ll be looking for a full-time gig either in League 2 or the National League.

As I said originally, he’d only come here if he had no options elsewhere.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY