Signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Signings

Post by divas » Sun May 26, 2019 1:49 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:56 pm
How about some of the Gateshead players? White, Tinkler, Olley or Rigg would surely be good shouts.

Boyes I would highly doubt from Spennymoor, but he’s local. Maguire would be outstanding but I reckon he’s off to Shields.
White & Tinkler weighing up full-time moves at the moment on top of Mellish who’s gone to Carlisle. Expect Greg Olley will probably have similar offers too. Rigg could be a possibility but I think AA prefers a smaller, quicker forward. AA needs to be finding out Steve Watson’s targets as he did phenomenally well to take those young lads released by bigger clubs last season and mould them into a very decent team.

Shields fans certainly don’t think Maguire is going there and it would surprise me if he drops down a level for the cash when he could earn more or the same at Spennymoor. I’m sure Boyes will become available but it will be for a premium fee if we wanted him.

Maguire would be my first choice of course but Knowles isn’t too dissimilar in style and has a phenomenal goal scoring record at NLN level. He would be a great addition IF he’s deemed to be fit enough - seems he has/had a bit of a glass ankle and we can’t afford to get into another Ainge situation

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun May 26, 2019 4:33 pm

Interesting point about John Borthwick but I think it was Little's calibre that got the best from him. When he moved to York he seemed prone to falling over. The point is to feel some trust in your manager - let's give this Hartlepool lad a chance and see how he does - maybe Armstrong knows how to get the best from him. If so it will tell us that AA knows what he's doing.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun May 26, 2019 5:00 pm

I doubt Laing would be a Centre Half as he's only 5' 11" and surely we need taller central defenders.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:11 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:00 pm
I doubt Laing would be a Centre Half as he's only 5' 11" and surely we need taller central defenders.
I’m sure you do this to wind people up.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:13 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:33 pm
Interesting point about John Borthwick but I think it was Little's calibre that got the best from him. When he moved to York he seemed prone to falling over. The point is to feel some trust in your manager - let's give this Hartlepool lad a chance and see how he does - maybe Armstrong knows how to get the best from him. If so it will tell us that AA knows what he's doing.
He fell over all of the time at Darlo as well.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun May 26, 2019 5:29 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:00 pm
6' 2" according to Wikipedia, 5' 11" on soccerbase.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet"
- Abraham Lincoln

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:38 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I doubt Laing would be a Centre Half as he's only 5' 11" and surely we need taller central defenders.
If he was 5' 8" would take your point but 5'11" is pretty tall so what's your problem for god's sake.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Sun May 26, 2019 5:46 pm

Chimps seriously think Laing is terrible. Sat with my mate who’s a chimp strangler and he just keeps laughing at me
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

divas

Post by divas » Sun May 26, 2019 5:58 pm

Another reason to get behind the lad - imagine he improved and we sold him on for some £££ sure that would stick in their throats.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Sun May 26, 2019 6:08 pm

divas wrote:Another reason to get behind the lad - imagine he improved and we sold him on for some £££ sure that would stick in their throats.[/

Why don’t some posters on here just wait and see what ALL AA’s signings are like before posting negative comments.This is exactly what AA was referring to in his interview.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun May 26, 2019 6:11 pm

Jamie Carragher is 6ft tall. Behave yourself Pete!

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun May 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Now Darlo Pete has publicly slated his potential signing he is a guaranteed success.

Darlogramps

Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Sun May 26, 2019 7:25 pm

quakerman wrote: Why don’t some posters on here just wait and see what ALL AA’s signings are like before posting negative comments.This is exactly what AA was referring to in his interview.

No one has posted any negative comments about Louis Laing (beyond Darlo_Pete’s latest round of attention-seeking). Everyone on here wants him to be successful.

But seemingly we’ve got to be all happy-clappy and describe him as wonderful. I don’t see why some are getting so worked up about people pointing out his last couple of seasons haven’t been particularly stellar.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
quakerman wrote: Why don’t some posters on here just wait and see what ALL AA’s signings are like before posting negative comments.This is exactly what AA was referring to in his interview.

No one has posted any negative comments about Louis Laing (beyond Darlo_Pete’s latest round of attention-seeking). Everyone on here wants him to be successful.

But seemingly we’ve got to be all happy-clappy and describe him as wonderful. I don’t see why some are getting so worked up about people pointing out his last couple of seasons haven’t been particularly stellar.
"Happy - clappy and deciding he is wonderful".Where did you get that from.
Try being a little more positive man.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun May 26, 2019 8:10 pm

I will judge Laing as I find him, always interested to see what fans of teams he has played for think but it does give you a preconception which isn't the best way to judge.

It's marked that he has had a chequered career so far but then so have most really that drop down to this level, I would suggest this means Burn is on his way at some point.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun May 26, 2019 8:24 pm

AA’s judgement on a player will do for me

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun May 26, 2019 8:25 pm

I’m probably getting a bit carried away but with speculation from those who appear ‘in the know’ we could have a side similar to this -

Hemming

Trotman Laing Galbraith Liddle

Atkinson Wheatley

Rivers Nicholson Thompson

Maguire(maybe dreaming on that one)

Looks decent enough to me - although perhaps Trotman and Nicholson could move on

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun May 26, 2019 9:23 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:46 am
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:51 pm
quakerman wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:43 pm
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Haha, he really shouldn't have shared as yet but not a total shock.

More to follow.
How many Les and what positions.?

Mainly just rumours but it seems around another 4 players are lined up, that's nothing most don't already know. You would assume that included Rivers and Atkinson from Blyth, mentioned in the Echo already.

We could well have a LB as we need one, reading between the lines I think Liddle would be a decent shout from Blyth also. Resolves a problem for AA very quickly.

Then hopefully a surprise or two after that.

All of these have been discussed on social media, it just depends who you trust and if they are normally accurate with info.
Chuckling at les trying to pretend that he's just guessing and doesn't really know.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have heard enough rumours but I can't say that they have been confirmed 100% by anyone at the club or linked to the club.

Rivers and Atkinson are pretty clear and in the NE.

I am sure we are interested in a number of others, some Spenny are also talking to as well. This time of year always brings the odd surprise, as in those you think will happen don't and those you are told won't happen then do.

Chandler was one of those main ones, he lined up a move to Darlo himself with constant contact but clearly was talking to Spenny at the same time. It was nailed on from what I was told at the time but then didn't happen.

So unless you are chatting to Armstrong, no one 100% knows the latest and he doesn't start work until tomorrow ;)

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sun May 26, 2019 9:31 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:25 pm
I’m probably getting a bit carried away but with speculation from those who appear ‘in the know’ we could have a side similar to this -

Hemming

Atkinson Wheatley

Looks decent enough to me - although perhaps Trotman and Nicholson could move on
Mine would be:

Jameson
Trotman (if he stays)
Laing
Gailbraith
Liddle
Holness
Wheatley
Thompson
Nicholson (if he stays)
Rivers
Maguire (not going to happen but it’s a dream ok)

If trotman goes then obviously Atkinson will go there and if Nicholson goes we may look at someone like Dale Hopson who played really well when under AA at Blyth a couple years ago

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun May 26, 2019 9:39 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:25 pm

Hemming

Atkinson Wheatley

Interesting that you think Galbraith will remain at CB..My opinion is that he would be better employed as the main central defensive midfielder.
He reads the game well, has a great eye for a long pass and can defend..
No doubt AA is well aware of Galbraiths capabilities and will use them which ever way he thinks suits the team the best.

divas

Post by divas » Sun May 26, 2019 9:45 pm

Galbraith isn’t quick enough to play in midfield and I don’t mean in terms of pace. He’d be closed down to quickly trying to find a pass.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun May 26, 2019 11:42 pm

Any announcement on signings today? Anyone

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 27, 2019 12:02 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

"Happy - clappy and deciding he is wonderful".Where did you get that from.
Try being a little more positive man.

You mainly. You’re berating as negative anyone who dares say anything other than full-throated positivity.

According to you, anyone who points out the facts about Laing’s spell at Hartlepool is trying to do him down. No one has been negative, yet you’re making out he’s on the end of vitriolic abuse.

Try being a bit more realistic and a little less sycophantic, man.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:14 am

Have a nice day Gramps

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 27, 2019 8:48 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Have a nice day Gramps

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what you call running away from the argument.

Anyone would think QUAKERMAN2 had no idea how to respond...

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:53 am

Darlogramps wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Have a nice day Gramps

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what you call running away from the argument.

Anyone would think QUAKERMAN2 had no idea how to respond...
Let's agree to disagree Grampsy and leave this thread to some more good news on signings, hopefully today.In AA we trust. Enjoy the rest of your day.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon May 27, 2019 8:55 am

Everyone deserves a chance at proving themselves. I'm struggling with the comments about his time with the Poolies. They played him 40 times at the level above us.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:56 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:Everyone deserves a chance at proving themselves. I'm struggling with the comments about his time with the Poolies. They played him 40 times at the level above us.
This

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:00 am

They also played him next to Scott Harrison, who by all accounts performed worse.

Anyway, all this talk about signings, I wonder when we’re going to get an idea about AA’s coaching staff, I wonder if it’ll be who he had at Blyth? 1 week on and no talk of this yet, although I wonder if it’s sensitive with Blyth kicking up a fuss regarding the departure of AA.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon May 27, 2019 9:14 am

He doesn't start the job until today. It's only 10.13 on a bank holiday....give him a chance!