Signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Lallacab
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Signings

Post by Lallacab » Sun May 26, 2019 9:00 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:44 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:40 am
divas wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:33 am
tdk1 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:09 am
Surely they don't need another goalkeeper? They must have some players who will be sick of sitting in the stands as well?
Word is that Gould is leaving Spennymoor as his father has been sacked as GK coach at Middlesbrough and the family are relocating. Hence the move for Jameson. Rumours have it that we’re looking at another GK from Middlesbrough.
Wouldn’t mind Joe Fryer, or Zach Hemming back.
Only one of those out of the two making it to BM, the other has been on loan at league clubs already.

I wouldn’t be so sure that Fryer wouldn’t drop down to our level as he is just returning from a serious injury suffered whilst on loan at Carlisle - I think he broke both his tib and fib

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun May 26, 2019 9:05 am

I am reasonably sure but more than happy to be proved wrong and sign someone like Fryer, however would expect a season long loan more likely with Hemming.

Anyhow gives us something to all guess and chat about.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sun May 26, 2019 9:16 am

Is Burn still under contract - I suppose if we can't offload him then a long term loan with the other club paying some of his wages might ease the burden a little bit.

As for Spenny - not suprised they are looking at good players who may be available - if you have the money to do it then don't wait until you need to strengthen your squad - do it now, if you get overloaded in some positions or dissatisfied players you can always offload some later to clubs who can't compete financially for their first choices, like us. The only problem you might have is the high wages these players are likely to be on (which is why they are there in the first place) might be difficult to find a market for them.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:17 am

Probably wishful thinking on my part re. Fryer.

Jameson would be my preferred option permanently, but would be happy with Hemming on a season-long loan deal and would mean we could invest elsewhere.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:46 am

Sat May 25, 2019 9:51 pm
quakerman wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:43 pm
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Haha, he really shouldn't have shared as yet but not a total shock.

More to follow.
How many Les and what positions.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mainly just rumours but it seems around another 4 players are lined up, that's nothing most don't already know. You would assume that included Rivers and Atkinson from Blyth, mentioned in the Echo already.

We could well have a LB as we need one, reading between the lines I think Liddle would be a decent shout from Blyth also. Resolves a problem for AA very quickly.

Then hopefully a surprise or two after that.

All of these have been discussed on social media, it just depends who you trust and if they are normally accurate with info.
Chuckling at les trying to pretend that he's just guessing and doesn't really know.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:52 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:51 pm
quakerman wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:43 pm
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Haha, he really shouldn't have shared as yet but not a total shock.

More to follow.
How many Les and what positions.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mainly just rumours but it seems around another 4 players are lined up, that's nothing most don't already know. You would assume that included Rivers and Atkinson from Blyth, mentioned in the Echo already.

We could well have a LB as we need one, reading between the lines I think Liddle would be a decent shout from Blyth also. Resolves a problem for AA very quickly.

Then hopefully a surprise or two after that.

All of these have been discussed on social media, it just depends who you trust and if they are normally accurate with info.
Chuckling at les trying to pretend that he's just guessing and doesn't really know.
Howay Les, tell us the players you would "like" at the club and let's leave it at that.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Sun May 26, 2019 10:08 am

Didn’t think Hemming was an upgrade on Maddison when we had him last season but I suppose it was only 4 games and he’ll be a year older now.

I’d prefer Brad James who is a year older and must be ready for another loan after spending some time with Billingham a couple of years back

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun May 26, 2019 10:26 am

Quakers83 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:26 am
tdk1 wrote:Is laing a centre back? And if so does this mean either ainge is going up front, ainge is out, or galbraith is going to left back?
From his interview last week, I took it that Armstrong was going to at least try Ainge up front at some point in pre-season.

Laing and Atkinson both play centre back I believe (Atkinson can play RB or CB and is reported to be someone we have an interest in) so along with Galbraith, there’s plenty of cover starting to develop.

But I just don’t see Ainge being a success up front. We tried him there repeatedly last season and it didn’t work. And it was little to do with tactics, more the fact he’s not able to run. He gets away with that at CB where a lot of it is to do with positioning.

But up front, being good in the air, which he is, will only get you so far.

As for Laing, my guess is he won’t be first choice. Certainly wasn’t at Blyth, so I hope people don’t get carried away with “He played for Motherwell once so must be brilliant.” Last couple of years he’s been quiet and the reports from the Simian Stranglers haven’t been great.
Atkinson is primarily a RB, who can fit in at either CB or holding midfield (where he played against Altrincham in the play-offs). This may point to Trotman being snapped up by a higher club this summer.

As for Laing, signed for Blyth in October last year, made 4 apps prior to a few injuries, a deal then broke down with an international side and he then re-signed for Blyth in January. He went on to make 16 apps from 19 games (had to also contend with suspension due to a straight red in their 3-0 win over Boston) - he seemed quite highly favoured by AA with all due respect.

Loughlin also had it in for Laing by all accounts if the comments I’ve read on Twitter are anything to go by. Let’s see how he performs in a Darlo shirt.
With respect, there seems to be a bit of wishful thinking in there. It’s not Nick Loughlin having it in for him. I don’t even believe that at all. It’s more the case Laing just wasn’t very good at Pools. Find me a Pools fan who thinks Laing was a success.

Then he wasn’t a regular at Blyth last season (16 games from the date he signed doesn’t make him regular). So the jury is out. Hope he’s a success but best to wait and see.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

divas

Post by divas » Sun May 26, 2019 10:32 am

The fact Laing has played for AA for 20+ games at this level and he still wants to sign him is reassuring despite his seemingly poor show at Pools - at the level above and a year plus younger (he was still an almost ever present in 17/18)

If he can head a ball it instantly makes him better than Burn

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:36 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:26 am
Quakers83 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:26 am
tdk1 wrote:Is laing a centre back? And if so does this mean either ainge is going up front, ainge is out, or galbraith is going to left back?
From his interview last week, I took it that Armstrong was going to at least try Ainge up front at some point in pre-season.

Laing and Atkinson both play centre back I believe (Atkinson can play RB or CB and is reported to be someone we have an interest in) so along with Galbraith, there’s plenty of cover starting to develop.

But I just don’t see Ainge being a success up front. We tried him there repeatedly last season and it didn’t work. And it was little to do with tactics, more the fact he’s not able to run. He gets away with that at CB where a lot of it is to do with positioning.

But up front, being good in the air, which he is, will only get you so far.

As for Laing, my guess is he won’t be first choice. Certainly wasn’t at Blyth, so I hope people don’t get carried away with “He played for Motherwell once so must be brilliant.” Last couple of years he’s been quiet and the reports from the Simian Stranglers haven’t been great.
Atkinson is primarily a RB, who can fit in at either CB or holding midfield (where he played against Altrincham in the play-offs). This may point to Trotman being snapped up by a higher club this summer.

As for Laing, signed for Blyth in October last year, made 4 apps prior to a few injuries, a deal then broke down with an international side and he then re-signed for Blyth in January. He went on to make 16 apps from 19 games (had to also contend with suspension due to a straight red in their 3-0 win over Boston) - he seemed quite highly favoured by AA with all due respect.

Loughlin also had it in for Laing by all accounts if the comments I’ve read on Twitter are anything to go by. Let’s see how he performs in a Darlo shirt.
With respect, there seems to be a bit of wishful thinking in there. It’s not Nick Loughlin having it in for him. I don’t even believe that at all. It’s more the case Laing just wasn’t very good at Pools. Find me a Pools fan who thinks Laing was a success.

Then he wasn’t a regular at Blyth last season (16 games from the date he signed doesn’t make him regular). So the jury is out. Hope he’s a success but best to wait and see.
Gramps, I didn’t say Laing was a success at Hartlepool. Find me a quote where I have said that?

Again, I said “if the comments I’ve read on Twitter are anything to go by”. By all accounts yes Laing seemed to have been poor at Hartlepool, hence my comment about seeing how he performs in a Darlo shirt.

You said Laing wasn’t first choice at Blyth, therefore you’re guessing he won’t be first choice here. Yet, as stated, he played 16 from 19 games since re-signing in January - 84%, despite having a suspension to deal with. I would say that sounds pretty first choice to me, hence why AA has brought him here.

Let’s see how he performs, jury’s out for me but I can’t see AA bringing Laing in to be back-up. Obviously he needs to perform, only time will tell.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:48 am

I looked at some of the line ups for Blyth in their last few matches, and Laing was in them other than during his suspension. Interestingly there was matches where Laing was in the team and Buddle was benched.

Seems that AA has played him regularly, and he must have done well.

Regarding the chimps, obviously Laing didn't do well there but we also need to take into account the huge gulf in quality between the NLN and NL.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun May 26, 2019 10:49 am

Quakers83 wrote: Gramps, I didn’t say Laing was a success at Hartlepool. Find me a quote where I have said that?
Eh? Where did I say you did? My point was general, and about not judging things solely on Nick Loughlin’s Twitter.
Quakers83 wrote: You said Laing wasn’t first choice at Blyth, therefore you’re guessing he won’t be first choice here. Yet, as stated, he played 16 from 19 games since re-signing in January - 84%, despite having a suspension to deal with. I would say that sounds pretty first choice to me, hence why AA has brought him here.
You’re being really selective with that. You’ve picked one chunk and deleted everything else. It’s much fairer to look at his spell as a whole, rather than one chunk which just fits your argument.

To me, it suggests he had injury issues and gets red cards too.
Quakers83 wrote: Let’s see how he performs, jury’s out for me but I can’t see AA bringing Laing in to be back-up. Obviously he needs to perform, only time will tell.
On this we’re agreed, but I’d have concerns if Laing is first choice.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:49 am

divas wrote:The fact Laing has played for AA for 20+ games at this level and he still wants to sign him is reassuring despite his seemingly poor show at Pools - at the level above and a year plus younger (he was still an almost ever present in 17/18)

Agreed Divas, let's be positive and back AA's judgement and get behind ALL of his signings and stop some of these negative comments

Darlogramps

Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Sun May 26, 2019 10:58 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
divas wrote:The fact Laing has played for AA for 20+ games at this level and he still wants to sign him is reassuring despite his seemingly poor show at Pools - at the level above and a year plus younger (he was still an almost ever present in 17/18)

Agreed Divas, let's be positive and back AA's judgement and get behind ALL of his signings and stop some of these negative comments

Blind faith helps no one.

All I’m saying is I’m not fully convinced on him based on his last two seasons. I’m fully behind him and want everyone to do well. To suggest otherwise is you being idiotic.

But it’s childish to suggest we should ONLY look at the stuff we want to see.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:03 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:49 am
Quakers83 wrote: Gramps, I didn’t say Laing was a success at Hartlepool. Find me a quote where I have said that?
Eh? Where did I say you did? My point was general, and about not judging things solely on Nick Loughlin’s Twitter.
Quakers83 wrote: You said Laing wasn’t first choice at Blyth, therefore you’re guessing he won’t be first choice here. Yet, as stated, he played 16 from 19 games since re-signing in January - 84%, despite having a suspension to deal with. I would say that sounds pretty first choice to me, hence why AA has brought him here.
You’re being really selective with that. You’ve picked one chunk and deleted everything else. It’s much fairer to look at his spell as a whole, rather than one chunk which just fits your argument.

To me, it suggests he had injury issues and gets red cards too.
Quakers83 wrote: Let’s see how he performs, jury’s out for me but I can’t see AA bringing Laing in to be back-up. Obviously he needs to perform, only time will tell.
On this we’re agreed, but I’d have concerns if Laing is first choice.
So why are you asking me to find a Hartlepool fan who thought Laing was a success? I don’t understand why you would ask me do that? Again, I’m not judging things solely on Loughlin’s Twitter either? No doubt you will come back and say “I didn’t say that you were”, but I don’t understand what your point is?

Again, I have already explained Laing’s full spell at Blyth from October last year, to date. Signed for Blyth mid-October, made 4 appearances only to be hampered by injuries. Re-signed for Blyth mid-January after an international deal fell through, and went on to make 16 apps in 19 games, despite (I assume) a three game suspension for dangerous play (high-foot) in their 3-0 win at home to Boston. He also won POTM in March for his performances. Again, if we go back to the original point, sounds first choice to me despite you saying otherwise.

You also mentioned that Laing gets red cards, he only received one as I explained. It was dangerous but not intentional and another referee would have gave a yellow.

I have already said he sounded poor at Hartlepool, and the jury’s out (hopefully we can also keep him fit), however I have made a fair assessment of his time at Blyth. In your last post you are insinuating people are looking at “stuff we want to see”. I’m simply taking into account everything and making a judgement, not looking at selective evidence.

divas

Post by divas » Sun May 26, 2019 11:08 am

You’re right blind faith doesn’t help anyone but if players are coming into the club with pre-conceived opinions about them which are being peddled then they’re potentially not getting a fair crack of the whip (yes it’s a forum for debate but let’s at least see him in the flesh for half a dozen games first before we judge) . AA has already gone on record very early in hi tenure to point out the negative impact that can be had on players by people pulling them apart on social media etc so he obviously thinks it’s a relatively big problem.

Yes it’s all part and parcel of the game and they should be used to it/able to handle it but the reality is that some can’t. We’ve been amazing as fans and owners by raising hard cash to allow AA to build a competitive squad but we can also be amazing fans and owners by being as supportive as we can to those who he deems good enough to wear the shirt and allow them all to start from a clean slate - at least publicly.

Remember many of us aren’t just fans anymore but owners - with that carries greater responsibility. Laing (or any other signing) might be a confidence player who with the right support can go on and be a fantastic player - imagine if as owners of the club we diminish one of our on assets through our own behaviour.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun May 26, 2019 11:14 am

Quakers83 wrote: So why are you asking me to find a Hartlepool fan who thought Laing was a success? I don’t understand why you would ask me do that? Again, I’m not judging things solely on Loughlin’s Twitter either? No doubt you will come back and say “I didn’t say that you were”, but I don’t understand what your point is?
I’m not asking you to do anything. My point is there aren’t any Pools fans who think he did well there. Not just Nick Loughlin having a grudge. Fairly obvious to work out.

For some reason you’ve interpreted it literally and got your knickers in a twist.
Quakers83 wrote: I have already said he sounded poor at Hartlepool, and the jury’s out (hopefully we can also keep him fit), however I have made a fair assessment of his time at Blyth. In your last post you are insinuating people are looking at “stuff we want to see”. I’m simply taking into account everything and making a judgement, not looking at selective evidence.
Except you’ve deleted his injuries, red cards and times when he was on the bench, and instead are telling me I should judge him on one spell. That’s the very definition of selective ness.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun May 26, 2019 11:28 am

I’m sorry Divas, but that’s nonsense. I’m not “peddling” anything and I’ve literally said I want Laing to be a success.

But last time I checked, we were allowed to say what we liked, and to suggest we can’t say anything remotely negative about players in case they get upset is just a bad attempt at shutting down criticism.

It’s not like I’m being abusive and personal, just that, based on his last two seasons, I’m not getting carried away with Laing.

Sadly some people don’t understand the nuance, so anything that isn’t unequivocal support is seen as talking players down. If players don’t like anything other than full-throated support on social media, they probably shouldn’t be on it.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:29 am

Interesting article with Armstrong in the Non-League Paper, talks about sustainability and how the north-east heart has been missing from the club recently with our recruitment, something which is important to him.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:48 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:29 am
Interesting article with Armstrong in the Non-League Paper, talks about sustainability and how the north-east heart has been missing from the club recently with our recruitment, something which is important to him.
Not wrong there in my opinion. At this level it is far safer to build the core around players from the north east, than paying that bit more on players from outside the area and blowing the budget that way, we are not in a position to lure players with £££s and I don't think it's necessary. There is a large talent pool in the region, right down to the Northern League and that is even after the likes of Hartlepool, Spennymoor and South Shields have had their dip.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

divas

Post by divas » Sun May 26, 2019 12:01 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:28 am
I’m sorry Divas, but that’s nonsense. I’m not “peddling” anything and I’ve literally said I want Laing to be a success.

But last time I checked, we were allowed to say what we liked, and to suggest we can’t say anything remotely negative about players in case they get upset is just a bad attempt at shutting down criticism.

It’s not like I’m being abusive and personal, just that, based on his last two seasons, I’m not getting carried away with Laing.

Sadly some people don’t understand the nuance, so anything that isn’t unequivocal support is seen as talking players down. If players don’t like anything other than full-throated support on social media, they probably shouldn’t be on it.
Wasn’t specifically aimed at you and this thread - just my general thoughts on the whole subject - just so happened this seemed a relevant time to mention it. We should all (myself included) think a little more before we speak sometimes when it comes to this sort of thing.

Perhaps stop trying to see all responses to you on here as some sort of personal attack that you’ve got to try and justify or fight back against.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun May 26, 2019 12:13 pm

I shudder to think what would have been said had forums like this been around when Brian Little signed John Borthwick.
Pools fans thought he was utter dog turd and yet was our top scorer for two championship winning teams.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 26, 2019 12:15 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:48 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:29 am
Not wrong there in my opinion. At this level it is far safer to build the core around players from the north east, than paying that bit more on players from outside the area and blowing the budget that way, we are not in a position to lure players with £££s and I don't think it's necessary. There is a large talent pool in the region, right down to the Northern League and that is even after the likes of Hartlepool, Spennymoor and South Shields have had their dip.
I agree.

I don’t mind the odd player or two travelling to play for us, as it’s worked well in the past with some very good players. But, you have to question how much we are paying out in expenses, and if we are paying a premium for players to travel 300-400 miles all-round every Saturday & for training that we could find in the North-East if we looked hard enough.

TW just didn’t have the contacts in the NE to make a predominately regional-based squad work.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun May 26, 2019 12:25 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:13 pm
I shudder to think what would have been said had forums like this been around when Brian Little signed John Borthwick.
Pools fans thought he was utter dog turd and yet was our top scorer for two championship winning teams.

I must admit that when we signed Gabbiadini I was far from convinced. I saw him play a couple of times for York and he looked totally finished as a player. I think it’s safe to say I was completely wrong!

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sun May 26, 2019 12:29 pm

So Laing, Rivers and Atkinson are pretty much sealed deals for us then, with Michael Liddle close as well. Really happy with Rivers and Atkinson. Laing was poor for Hartlepool looking at what their fans have said about him but was reasonably decent for Blyth I believe... so I’m willing to give him a chance,If we do get Liddle there’s our left back issue sorted. Wonder who Alun will be looking at for our Striker option? Maguire would be the dream but is most likely going to Shields or Spenny, Wonder if we could maybe get someone like a Kurt Willoughby or Adam Boyes if spenny get rid of him

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun May 26, 2019 12:34 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:49 am
Why not look at his career as a whole -we have Blyth where he was a regular in the 2nd half of last season when they were flying, we have Pools where he didn't do well (but they were s*** all round that season), but we have other places where else he played. He went on loan to Motherwell and must have done alright because they signed him permanently later on. He went on loan to Notts County, and he had another loan there in another season, that perhaps suggests he did well in the first loan, as they went back in for him. These are also clubs playing at a higher standard than Pools, Blyth and Darlo.

Think with this guy, AA obviously rates him because he was getting picked over Buddle in the end, and as far as I'm aware AA doesn't want Buddle.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun May 26, 2019 12:41 pm

If Laing's played in 16 of 19 games in a play off finishing side then hopefully he'll continue to do well at this level. Maybe the league above was a step too far? Pretty sure some of our players have had red cards!! Leon always seemed to have a clumsy challenge in him.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun May 26, 2019 12:56 pm

How about some of the Gateshead players? White, Tinkler, Olley or Rigg would surely be good shouts.

Boyes I would highly doubt from Spennymoor, but he’s local. Maguire would be outstanding but I reckon he’s off to Shields.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sun May 26, 2019 1:04 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:56 pm
How about some of the Gateshead players? White, Tinkler, Olley or Rigg would surely be good shouts.

Boyes I would highly doubt from Spennymoor, but he’s local. Maguire would be outstanding but I reckon he’s off to Shields.
Totally forgot about the Gateshead lads! Would be delighted with any of those four but Olley would be the outstanding one for me

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 26, 2019 1:47 pm

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:29 pm
So Laing, Rivers and Atkinson are pretty much sealed deals for us then, with Michael Liddle close as well. Really happy with Rivers and Atkinson. Laing was poor for Hartlepool looking at what their fans have said about him but was reasonably decent for Blyth I believe... so I’m willing to give him a chance,If we do get Liddle there’s our left back issue sorted. Wonder who Alun will be looking at for our Striker option? Maguire would be the dream but is most likely going to Shields or Spenny, Wonder if we could maybe get someone like a Kurt Willoughby or Adam Boyes if spenny get rid of him
Wouldn’t mind us taking a look at Steven Rigg who will be available following the expiration of his contract at Gateshead. Scored 9 goals last season.

Dominic Knowles has also been released by Harrogate, scores goals at this level (47 goals in 88 appearances).

I also wonder if Spennymoor have Taylor, Boyes & Maguire then Shaun Tuton may become available.

Either way interesting to see what happens.