Signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjlewis1k89

Signings

Post by jjlewis1k89 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:21 pm

Now Alun’s “at the wheel” who do you think he’ll be targeting and any other generic rumours of players signing for us???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdavethemaddog

Re: Signings

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Tue May 21, 2019 5:34 pm

i hope but doubt he can get his son in on loan

Ghost_Of_1883
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:37 pm

Well...quakersfan said on the Armstrong thread that he thinks we will get Louis Laing and Jarrett Rivers.

Rivers will be an excellent signing, can't say I know too much about Laing.

Just a guess here - it wouldn't surprise me if we already have several players signed up, however with AA not officially starting until next Monday then it's possible we won't be able to announce anything until at least then.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Tue May 21, 2019 6:04 pm

Maguire, Buddle, Rivers, Jameson I think will be definite targets, would like us to go for Willoughby from FC United, maybe tempt couple of lads from South Shields like Briggs and Foley for example too

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue May 21, 2019 6:13 pm

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:04 pm
Maguire, Buddle, Rivers, Jameson I think will be definite targets, would like us to go for Willoughby from FC United, maybe tempt couple of lads from South Shields like Briggs and Foley for example too
I think Rivers, Jameson and potentially Buddle are realistic targets but we'd struggle to finance the other 4. Maguire has had offers from the National League.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Tue May 21, 2019 6:20 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:13 pm
I think Rivers, Jameson and potentially Buddle are realistic targets but we'd struggle to finance the other 4. Maguire has had offers from the National League.
Didn’t he sack off Halifax due to relocating or travelling down there a couple of years ago? Or am I thinking of someone else? If I’ve got that right I can’t imagine he’d go in that league unless poolies offer him something.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:31 pm

Interesting comments about Ainge, can see some of those under contract potentially going as well.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue May 21, 2019 6:32 pm

Chimp stranglers weren’t particularly enamoured with Laing.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:40 pm

Tue May 21, 2019 6:20 pm
Darlo_CR wrote:
Didn’t he sack off Halifax due to relocating or travelling down there a couple of years ago? Or am I thinking of someone else? If I’ve got that right I can’t imagine he’d go in that league unless poolies offer him something.
It's not national league offers that you need to worry about, it's pretty common knowledge that Shields and Spendy want him. Spendy in particular can dwarf what we pay.

Darlogramps

Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Tue May 21, 2019 6:45 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Nothing to do with travelling. More that he could earn more with a part-time job and his Blyth contract combined.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue May 21, 2019 6:49 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:45 pm
Darlo_CR wrote:
Nothing to do with travelling. More that he could earn more with a part-time job and his Blyth contract combined.
He also couldn't drive at the time, not sure if he can now but that was part of it also.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Tue May 21, 2019 7:32 pm

Fair enough regarding Maguire, just hope that the BTB and maybe a chat with big Al could MAYBE sway him (I know I’m clutching at straws here but let me dream folks).
Wonder if Luke Armstrong could be a potential player to have on loan?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue May 21, 2019 7:39 pm

Tue May 21, 2019 7:32 pm
Fair enough regarding Maguire, just hope that the BTB and maybe a chat with big Al could MAYBE sway him (I know I’m clutching at straws here but let me dream folks).
Wonder if Luke Armstrong could be a potential player to have on loan?
You are very much straw clutching. From what I heard Maguire has been offered more at Spenny than what we can afford and probably has other offers after that. Now I don't think he would just go for the money but in reality they are not a lot of negatives if he signs for Spenny either.

Armstrong was on loan to Accrington Stanley in the 1st division for the 2nd half of last season after having a great 1st half in the National League, no reason/chance whatsoever for anyone that he would sign for us on loan - it wouldn't benefit Middlesbrough or Armstrong.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue May 21, 2019 8:18 pm

A return for Jordan Watson wouldn't be a bad shout, he was a key part of their defence last season.

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:05 pm

We have already tried to get maguire but his wages are a issue. Heard jameson coming too

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:16 pm

A little dream for next season

Jameson, Trotman, Watson, Galbraith, Ainge, Holness, Wheatley, Rivers, Thompson, Nicholson, Maguire.

Maybe another centre half for Ainge?

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue May 21, 2019 9:43 pm

Rivers works for AA’s Academy so I would expect him to be announced in the coming days.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:21 am

Would very much like Holness back, but haven't heard anything about him since he left. Not sure if it's on the cards.

Looked a very capable player at this level, from what we saw.

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 22, 2019 8:02 am

I think the door is open for Omar but he’s understandably trying to fix himself up in league football playing full time if he can

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:02 am

Can't blame the lad for that. I wonder if he really did enough to get noticed by a league side though?

I hope we've laid out a contract for him, maybe with a clause that we'll let him move on if a full time club in the leagues above comes in for him. I think he's capable of a move up, but he's got to get himself noticed somehow before anyone will be prepared to take a chance on him, i would think. I'd happily have Kneeshaw back also.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed May 22, 2019 9:33 am

H1987 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:02 am
Can't blame the lad for that. I wonder if he really did enough to get noticed by a league side though?
Not to me he didn't. If our new manager fancies giving him ago then so be it - it will be interesting to see what happens.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed May 22, 2019 11:21 am

I think it's really interesting that Alun says he'll speak to the contracted players to see what they want. Definately the potential to move players on, however he may find a stumbling block depending on the player as there won't be many takers for some.

He also seemed delighted to have Tommo playing for him. He'll be a big part of his plans

Lots of changes this summer

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Wed May 22, 2019 6:36 pm

Just read on the vanamara site that Styche has been made available for transfer and negotiations are ongoing and a deal is close.

Wonder where he is going next?

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:41 pm

quakerste wrote:Just read on the vanamara site that Styche has been made available for transfer and negotiations are ongoing and a deal is close.

A poster reckons we got £40k for him but no idea if it’s true or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed May 22, 2019 6:46 pm

Hereford.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:59 am

In his first interview on the YouTube channel and in the echo Armstrong says he has 9 players contracted for next season. Got thinking and could only come up with the following 8. Ainge, Galbraith, Burn, Trotman, Thompson, Wheatley, Nicholson, Glover. Does anyone know who the 9th is? Would be happy if Elliott had a contract for next season. Good utility man to have around the squad.

Atkinson and Rivers from blyth mentioned as targets in the echo this morning. Would be really happy with Rivers. Dont know much about Atkinson.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu May 23, 2019 10:55 am

quakerste wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:36 pm
Just read on the vanamara site that Styche has been made available for transfer and negotiations are ongoing and a deal is close.

Hope it is for some unfeasibly large fee and that we had a sell-on clause in his transfer - Reece might just land us another boost to the budget!

Am happy to leave the signings to AA, but hope that whoever does come, is prepared to move if not already live in the North East. Half the problems last season were we had 11 individuals who had not had enough time together in training to bond into a proper team. Plenty of skills but sometimes not enough heart for the fight.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu May 23, 2019 11:25 am

jjljks wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:55 am
quakerste wrote:

Hope it is for some unfeasibly large fee and that we had a sell-on clause in his transfer - Reece might just land us another boost to the budget!

Am happy to leave the signings to AA, but hope that whoever does come, is prepared to move if not already live in the North East. Half the problems last season were we had 11 individuals who had not had enough time together in training to bond into a proper team. Plenty of skills but sometimes not enough heart for the fight.
That's awfully gracious of you. Didn't realise you played such a key role in our recruitment!
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu May 23, 2019 11:42 am

jjljks wrote:
You cant expect that of part time players, especially if they do have day jobs or other commitments.
It certainly didnt hurt us having players from Yorkshire and Lancashire under Gray and two of our best performers last season were from further afield.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu May 23, 2019 11:54 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:25 am
jjljks wrote:
quakerste wrote:

That's awfully gracious of you. Didn't realise you played such a key role in our recruitment!
Yep that is me all over, I just handing in cash to keep the club going and supporting from the terraces without asking for any recognition, only that we have a squad of players who are not knackered from travelling and able to play together some attractive football showing anticipation & some bottle. :wave: