Signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:22 am

Clearly Jonny Burn is one he’s referring to and Simon Ainge won’t be on peanuts.

Out of the others, we’ve just paid for Wheatley to have an operation and he also ticks the local box. Just my speculation but I think he’ll stay.

I could see Trotman leaving. Would have to travel a lot, so it makes you wonder how well he was being compensated for that. Glover I’d be very surprised to still see here in August. Almost certain to leave.

And AA has named Thompson and Galbraith as players who he likes, so they’ll be fine.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

sue_donym

Re: Signings

Post by sue_donym » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:06 am

Prospect of Trotman leaving worries me. Travelling is not ideal but he's class and would be hard to replace.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:20 am

Trotman is a good player and I enjoy watching him play but I think it would be better for the team balance as a whole if we just signed a solid right back who can defend his area and leave the attacking stuff to the midfield and forwards. Old school style is what I’m trying to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 years

Post by 50 years » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:48 am

Would assume we would want a fee for Trotman before we let him go with sell on clause. Apparently a really nice lad who has caught the eye playing for England C. Think AA has already brought someone in who can cover that position but would be nice to get some money.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:54 am

Just shows how Tommy got his signings horribly wrong with his crazy contracts and could even mean not a single player who he signed will be here under AA.With the exception of Trotman and Nicholson who may be leaving through location issues, the others have fallen short.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:56 am

50 years wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:48 am
Would assume we would want a fee for Trotman before we let him go with sell on clause. Apparently a really nice lad who has caught the eye playing for England C. Think AA has already brought someone in who can cover that position but would be nice to get some money.
Yes agree, I'd be annoyed if we let Trotman go for free in the way we've let Nicholson go. While I agree we don't want a squad full of players travelling long distances, Trotman clearly has potential value which Nicholson didn't really have despite his obvious abilities.

No problem with Armstrong moving Trotman on if he thinks he can get an adequate replacement locally, but we should keep hold of him and use him until the right offer comes in.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:58 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:54 am
Just shows how Tommy got his signings horribly wrong with his crazy contracts and could even mean not a single player who he signed will be here under AA.With the exception of Trotman and Nicholson who may be leaving through location issues, the others have fallen short.

Funnily enough it was the more 'local' players signed by Wright that seem to have gone wrong. Burns, Ainge, Maddisson all originally from the north east aren't they?

Whereas Nicholson, Trotman, Hughes, Elliott all relatively good performers who were doing a lot of travelling.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:58 am

If we can get rid of Burn then ideal. Ainge is a bit different as I do think he offers something, just not for the money he will likely be on.

Armstrong's moves all seem reasonable so far (on paper). Obviously we need a striker and a keeper, which I'm sure will be addressed. My only concern at this stage, without knowing huge amounts about the Blyth signings, is whether we've sorted the problem from last year that we were such a small and weak team

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 am

Trotman needs to stay, our pots and has a bright future in the game, hopefully with us.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:42 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 am
Trotman needs to stay, our pots and has a bright future in the game, hopefully with us.
I'm sure pots can be obtained from many retail outlets Pete

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:46 am

Spyman wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:58 am
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Funnily enough it was the more 'local' players signed by Wright that seem to have gone wrong. Burns, Ainge, Maddisson all originally from the north east aren't they?

Whereas Nicholson, Trotman, Hughes, Elliott all relatively good performers who were doing a lot of travelling.
I think this is a worthy observation as it seems counter to the received wisdom that was often spouted last year. And to assume that because AA is setting out to bring in local players that this will automatically solve some of last year's problems also seems presumptuous. As we have yet to see any of the new players under the closer scrutiny of a number of matches I think it only fair to wait and see if they can perform better than our long distance travellers of last year. I don't think that because a player harks from outside the region that it would automatically mean they are milksops who can't play good football, nor does it follow than northern players are more solid performers, as is clearly demonstrated by the list of names above.

It has been asked elsewhere why Nicholson's one year option was taken up only to release him. Could it be that AA had high hopes of bagging Maguire within the wage structure he had been set but having lost out to York, and realising that he needs more money to get a worthy target that we have to let Nicholson's wages go? From my perspective it is quite a gamble to let go of a proven goalscorer, especially if you get no additional money from the deal to help with getting someone of an equal or better calibre in replacement.

It is always the case that we cannot see inside the workings of the club's finances and work out why things have to be done the way they were. Last year's decision to let Styche and Syers go when they had been part of a useful set up the year before also brought natural questions down on the judgement of the club to justify doing so. As we now know, we were able to survive without them, just, but it wasn't an easy ride and it did sail a might too close to relegation. So letting proven talent go is a tricky thing to justify and, like others, I would hate to think that we are making ourselves more vulnerable by choosing to align ourselves with northern powerhouse players, only on the basis that they are northern based, rather than what talent they have proved to have. On the basis of what we have in the Northern Echo, we are clearly going to lose other players from last year's squad, and whilst I could see a justification for losing the likes of Maddison, O'Hanlon and Henshall, and could also see the same applied to Burn, Glover and perhaps Ainge, I am very disappointed that Nicholson has also been dropped and would be even more concerned if there was a chance that Trotman would go, and especially so if we didn't seek a decent wedge for him.

sue_donym

Post by sue_donym » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:03 am

en passant wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:46 am
Spyman wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

I think this is a worthy observation as it seems counter to the received wisdom that was often spouted last year. And to assume that because AA is setting out to bring in local players that this will automatically solve some of last year's problems also seems presumptuous. As we have yet to see any of the new players under the closer scrutiny of a number of matches I think it only fair to wait and see if they can perform better than our long distance travellers of last year. I don't think that because a player harks from outside the region that it would automatically mean they are milksops who can't play good football, nor does it follow than northern players are more solid performers, as is clearly demonstrated by the list of names above.

It has been asked elsewhere why Nicholson's one year option was taken up only to release him. Could it be that AA had high hopes of bagging Maguire within the wage structure he had been set but having lost out to York, and realising that he needs more money to get a worthy target that we have to let Nicholson's wages go? From my perspective it is quite a gamble to let go of a proven goalscorer, especially if you get no additional money from the deal to help with getting someone of an equal or better calibre in replacement.

It is always the case that we cannot see inside the workings of the club's finances and work out why things have to be done the way they were. Last year's decision to let Styche and Syers go when they had been part of a useful set up the year before also brought natural questions down on the judgement of the club to justify doing so. As we now know, we were able to survive without them, just, but it wasn't an easy ride and it did sail a might too close to relegation. So letting proven talent go is a tricky thing to justify and, like others, I would hate to think that we are making ourselves more vulnerable by choosing to align ourselves with northern powerhouse players, only on the basis that they are northern based, rather than what talent they have proved to have. On the basis of what we have in the Northern Echo, we are clearly going to lose other players from last year's squad, and whilst I could see a justification for losing the likes of Maddison, O'Hanlon and Henshall, and could also see the same applied to Burn, Glover and perhaps Ainge, I am very disappointed that Nicholson has also been dropped and would be even more concerned if there was a chance that Trotman would go, and especially so if we didn't seek a decent wedge for him.
Absolutely spot on, my thoughts exactly.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:26 am

I suppose what we do know, as much as you can know anything in football, is that these players did well together for Armstrong at Blyth - that should lead us to believe they can do similarly well for him at Darlington.

The question mark is how much the likes of McGuire and Jameson, who we haven't got, influenced that success and whether Armstrong can find players who can perform the same or similar roles to fit in around the players he's brought with him.

DC

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:36 am

Spyman wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:56 am
50 years wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:48 am
Yes agree, I'd be annoyed if we let Trotman go for free in the way we've let Nicholson go. While I agree we don't want a squad full of players travelling long distances, Trotman clearly has potential value which Nicholson didn't really have despite his obvious abilities.

No problem with Armstrong moving Trotman on if he thinks he can get an adequate replacement locally, but we should keep hold of him and use him until the right offer comes in.
AA backed Trotman at the fans’ forum a few weeks ago.

If Trotman does leave, we will be receiving a fee. He is probably our biggest asset. We’re not just going to release him because he’s travelling long hours.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:59 am

en passant wrote:
Spyman wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

As Nicholson wanted to leave, and as he was no doubt on good money that could be used on players who want to be here - then a mutual cancellation of his contract was a no brainer.

I think the club (without a manager at the time) took up his 1 year option just in case.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:00 pm

sue_donym wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:03 am
en passant wrote:
Spyman wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Absolutely spot on, my thoughts exactly.
Sorry, but all I can see is a load of drivel.

Firstly, nobody is saying that bringing in local players will solve the problems from last season. Nobody is saying that players from afar are poor players, and nobody is saying Northern players are better.

Styche and Syers were proven talent, but had to be let go because Tommy blew the budget on a poor squad of 16, crowds dropped and we were sinking. That’s your justification as to why they left - purely financial.

The bottom line is this. Tommy signed the Nuneaton boys, some travelling from South Yorkshire, Bedfordshire, West Midlands, Lincolnshire, Peterborough, Shropshire, Bristol - one player even uprooted 200+ miles for part-time football - how is that feasible for a part-time NLN North-East side? We paid premium for some of these players, hence a ridiculous top-heavy squad of 16, the majority of £330,000 wasted because TW had little knowledge of the North-East scene. It’s rumoured a FT NL side wanted to take a look at Nicholson but were put off by his wages!

Burn rang TW, Maddison moved back to the area, rather than these being calculated signings that we were chasing for months, I don’t think that was the case.

If Trotman does leave, I’m confident he will be going for a fee. AA backed him at the forum. Quite naturally though, he is looking at local players - by that Newcastle, Sunderland, County Durham, Teeside, maybe North Yorkshire - is this not a big enough catchment area? Seemed to work quite well for Blyth last season, and MG had no issues - in the 5 years he was in charge, didn’t we only venture outside the North East and North Yorkshire for a few players? Hardy & Gaskell spring to mind.

Nicholson was a very good player, but I’d hazard a guess and say we could find an adequate replacement for much cheaper.
Last edited by Quakers83 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:05 pm

Jameson has signed for York

divas

Post by divas » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 pm

No way was last season’s playing budget £330K

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:12 pm

It was said on the netcafe that the playing budget was 330k

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:14 pm

divas wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 pm
No way was last season’s playing budget £330K
Sorry Divas, circa that figure including staff.

EDIT - or was it that figure?

50 years

Post by 50 years » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:18 pm

Jamerson kept AA hanging on until he went on holiday then, when by the looks of it on web site he made his mind up last week. Not very nice way to treat your former boss. Hope his confidence does not go again as he is competing with their young keeper for first team slot, ( the young keeper did well for York last year) or he may be back to AA to help build confidence up again.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:18 pm

£330K has to have included staff otherwise we’d be knee deep in debt based on revenue projections not being any more than the prior season. Safe to assume staff costs around £60-70k based on prior accounts so playing budget somewhere around £275K if I had to guess

Still a decent amount that should have been better utilised of course

Carl Airey

Post by Carl Airey » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:39 pm

Anyone heard any rumours about Adam Campbell. Was on loan at Carlisle although He wasn't exactly prolific. Was a good young prospect whe at Newcastle.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:05 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:25 am
An exciting forward and proven goal scorer announced today/tomorrow.
Well...?

Tick tock, tick tock.

sue_donym

Post by sue_donym » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:22 pm

If Trotman does leave, I’m confident he will be going for a fee. AA backed him at the forum. Quite naturally though, he is looking at local players - by that, Northumberland, Newcastle, Sunderland, County Durham, Teeside, maybe North Yorkshire but touch and go if this is “local” - is this not a big enough catchment area? Seemed to work quite well for Blyth last season, and MG had no issues - in the 5 years he was in charge, didn’t we only venture outside the North East and North Yorkshire for a few players?

Nicholson was a very good player, but I’d hazard a guess and say we could find an adequate replacement for much cheaper.
I've no problem whatsoever with AA looking first and foremost around the North East for players, and it makes sense him to recruit a nucleus from Blyth that have done well for him and obviously know one another. And I agree that having half a team travelling up from the Midlands wasn't sustainable.

My point is that I'm slightly concerned he's in danger of throwing the baby out with the bath water - half a team coming from the Midlands wasn't sustainable but there's no point in denying that Nicholson and Trotman were our among our two best players last season (in fact I think probably our best two full stop, at least of those that were there the whole season). One's left and if the other does as well there's no point pretending that's ideal, although a fee would obviously help recruit a decent replacement.

As for Nicholson's replacement, I hope you're right. I'm conscious that in the NE we've the fourth biggest budget in non-league (probably - assume Heed in their new incarnation are tight for cash) so we've plenty of competition, and as Maguire/Jameson have shown York won't hesitate to come in and pinch others if they fancy them.

Finally I'm not sure MG's model is one we want to imitating, and in any case in most of MG's 5 years we had a budget to blow everyone else in our league out of the water. We could win those leagues by hoovering up our competitor's best players.

The whole debate is academic to an extent until we see who AA's bringing in. It might be that the replacements are top notch in which case I'll be delighted. But I just hope he isn't dismissing current players out of hand because they're not from around here.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:25 pm

He isn't. Nicholson wanted to leave.

sue_donym

Post by sue_donym » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:34 pm

If he wanted to go fair enough nothing you can do about that

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:49 pm

Another one for the "out" list as Tom Elliott goes to Hednesford: http://www.hednesfordtownfc.com/2019/06 ... -the-squad
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:53 pm

Northumbria closer than North Yorkshire??? Which map you looking at?
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:18 pm

sue_donym wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:22 pm
If Trotman does leave, I’m confident he will be going for a fee. AA backed him at the forum. Quite naturally though, he is looking at local players - by that, Northumberland, Newcastle, Sunderland, County Durham, Teeside, maybe North Yorkshire but touch and go if this is “local” - is this not a big enough catchment area? Seemed to work quite well for Blyth last season, and MG had no issues - in the 5 years he was in charge, didn’t we only venture outside the North East and North Yorkshire for a few players?

I've no problem whatsoever with AA looking first and foremost around the North East for players, and it makes sense him to recruit a nucleus from Blyth that have done well for him and obviously know one another. And I agree that having half a team travelling up from the Midlands wasn't sustainable.

My point is that I'm slightly concerned he's in danger of throwing the baby out with the bath water - half a team coming from the Midlands wasn't sustainable but there's no point in denying that Nicholson and Trotman were our among our two best players last season (in fact I think probably our best two full stop, at least of those that were there the whole season). One's left and if the other does as well there's no point pretending that's ideal, although a fee would obviously help recruit a decent replacement.

As for Nicholson's replacement, I hope you're right. I'm conscious that in the NE we've the fourth biggest budget in non-league (probably - assume Heed in their new incarnation are tight for cash) so we've plenty of competition, and as Maguire/Jameson have shown York won't hesitate to come in and pinch others if they fancy them.

Finally I'm not sure MG's model is one we want to imitating, and in any case in most of MG's 5 years we had a budget to blow everyone else in our league out of the water. We could win those leagues by hoovering up our competitor's best players.

The whole debate is academic to an extent until we see who AA's bringing in. It might be that the replacements are top notch in which case I'll be delighted. But I just hope he isn't dismissing current players out of hand because they're not from around here.
Nicholson has left partly due to travel though.

Trotman is also a very good player, but we’re in a position where we can’t stand in his way. We would retrieve a fee for him, if he leaves then it is what it is - probably not down to AA.

RE the MG model. My point is that he had done fine by signing N/E based players, not the fact that he pushed the club to make signings we couldn’t afford or had a squad size of 24 at one point.