Mansfield Town

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

Mansfield Town

Post by onewayup » Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 am

Another manager sacked David flitcroft. Mansfield Town.
Because they lost the playoffs. Strange as they were in the top 4 all season. Owners are a funny breed.

spen666

Re: Mansfield Town

Post by spen666 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 am

onewayup wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 am
Because they lost the playoffs. Strange as they were in the top 4 all season. Owners are a funny breed.

What's the betting they don't finish as high next season?

Chris Hughton at Brighton is another, got them into Premier league, kept them there again and got to semi finals of FA Cup and still gets sacked. and Brighton want to replace him with a manager who achieved 10th place in the Championship

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 15, 2019 9:33 am

That's so unfair on Flitcroft having done such a great job over the season. I'm sure it'll put off many people from applying for the vacant managers job, as the chances of your job lasting more than a season are minimal. Where is loyalty to managers these days?

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Wed May 15, 2019 10:19 am

Shitcroft did have the biggest budget in the league and had upset fans, media and star players and when that happens it only ends one way.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Wed May 15, 2019 11:20 am

Footballs gone mad could have at least given him another season.
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Wed May 15, 2019 11:22 am

spen666 wrote:
onewayup wrote:

Chris Hughton at Brighton is another, got them into Premier league, kept them there again and got to semi finals of FA Cup and still gets sacked. and Brighton want to replace him with a manager who achieved 10th place in the Championship
Exactly. What exactly did brighton expect to achive, a top half finish! And folk say mike ashley is a bad chairman at least he does not go through a load of managers
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:32 am

shildonlad wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:22 am
spen666 wrote:
onewayup wrote:

Exactly. What exactly did brighton expect to achive, a top half finish! And folk say mike ashley is a bad chairman at least he does not go through a load of managers
The FCB did sack Chris Hughton when Newcastle were top half of Premiership if I recall correctly

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 15, 2019 11:59 am

Seen a lot of "What did Brighton expect to achieve?".

As if the best they should expect is finishing just above relegation, which is a little patronising.

I think Brighton fans are perfectly entitled to want better than two league wins in 2019, three goals in 10 matches and to finish four points worse off from last season despite decent investment in the summer.

Hughton's recruitment in the summer was awful, he played a negative brand of football and without Murray, Brighton would have been as bad as Huddersfield.

Definitely a club that needs a refresh.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Wed May 15, 2019 12:17 pm

shildonlad wrote:
spen666 wrote:
onewayup wrote:

I remember Fat Mike sacking Hughton on the back of a 5-1 Win against Sunderland back in about 2010

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Wed May 15, 2019 12:43 pm

I would agree about Brighton although I got to like Chris H. when he was at Newcastle and didn't deserve the sack there - to be replaced by awful Alan Pardew - but take out the cup run and it's been a bad season for them. The climate down in Notts. is quite bad because Flitcroft has done so well with the Stag's - I think there might be some echoes here of Gray's last days at Quakers but Mansfield will miss him. It's all in the air at Notts County so maybe Flitcroft - or MG? - will turn up there. Or here.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Wed May 15, 2019 12:45 pm

I would agree with Gramps about Brighton although I got to like Chris H. when he was at Newcastle and didn't deserve the sack there - to be replaced by awful Alan Pardew - but take out the cup run and it's been a bad season for them. The climate down in Notts. is quite bad because Flitcroft has done so well with the Stag's - I think there might be some echoes here of Gray's last days at Quakers but Mansfield will miss him. It's all in the air at Notts County so maybe Flitcroft - or MG? - will turn up there. Or here.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 15, 2019 1:01 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Seen a lot of "What did Brighton expect to achieve?".

As if the best they should expect is finishing just above relegation, which is a little patronising.

I think Brighton fans are perfectly entitled to want better than two league wins in 2019, three goals in 10 matches and to finish four points worse off from last season despite decent investment in the summer.

Hughton's recruitment in the summer was awful, he played a negative brand of football and without Murray, Brighton would have been as bad as Huddersfield.

This. Hughton had seemingly taken them as far as he could. I don't think anyone doubts he did well to get them up and establish them in the Premiership, but he spent something like £70million last summer and their form since Xmas has been abysmal, nearly costing them their place in the Premiership.

He seems to have left on good terms with the fans which is rare these days so probably for the best. I doubt he'll struggle to find a new job at a similar sized club.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Wed May 15, 2019 3:44 pm

Even mike ashley himself admitted sacking houghton was a mistake and who knows he may return there.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 15, 2019 6:26 pm

Certainly won't get the money he got at Brighton though.

Straight swap with Swansea's manager wouldn't surprise me, or possibly Celtic.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu May 16, 2019 6:49 am

shildonlad wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:44 pm
Even mike ashley himself admitted sacking houghton was a mistake and who knows he may return there.
Hughton has more integrity than to go back to work for Ashley.
Seems like a long time since Darlo played Mansfield, does anyone remember that last game😏

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:00 am

jjljks wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:49 am
shildonlad wrote:
Seems like a long time since Darlo played Mansfield, does anyone remember that last game😏
Unfortunately so. 5-2 defeat away at Field Mill with a team half full of kids at the end of Feb 2012. Credit to the Mansfield fans mind they stayed behind at the end to clap our lads off the field for the performance they gave.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 16, 2019 8:47 am

JE93 wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:49 am
shildonlad wrote:
Seems like a long time since Darlo played Mansfield, does anyone remember that last gameImage
Unfortunately so. 5-2 defeat away at Field Mill with a team half full of kids at the end of Feb 2012. Credit to the Mansfield fans mind they stayed behind at the end to clap our lads off the field for the performance they gave.
ImageImageImageImage

DC

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu May 16, 2019 11:38 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:59 am

proof as ever will be in the pudding. Folk often point at Charlton when they got rid of Curbishley. Ipswich similarly got rid of McCarthy who took them to 12th in the championship but ended the season bottom of the table and will be playing Lincoln and Bury next year instead of Leeds, WBA etc

depends if fans want eye bleeding football in a higher division (with all the higher income it brings) - or better football to watch in a lower league - all while hoping a punt on a new manager transforms a team.

Maybe club chairman are still looking at clubs like Southampton who (seemingly crazily) sacked Nigel Adkins.....but brought in Pochettino and we all know how that turned out.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu May 16, 2019 12:18 pm

For every Pochettino there's an Ole Gunnar.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:33 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:38 am
Darlogramps wrote:

proof as ever will be in the pudding. Folk often point at Charlton when they got rid of Curbishley. Ipswich similarly got rid of McCarthy who took them to 12th in the championship but ended the season bottom of the table and will be playing Lincoln and Bury next year instead of Leeds, WBA etc

depends if fans want eye bleeding football in a higher division (with all the higher income it brings) - or better football to watch in a lower league - all while hoping a punt on a new manager transforms a team.

Maybe club chairman are still looking at clubs like Southampton who (seemingly crazily) sacked Nigel Adkins.....but brought in Pochettino and we all know how that turned out.
Got to say I've never been the biggest football purist. As a fan I want to watch effective football being played effectively. Give me a manger who can execute a game plan any day of the week. Whether that be tikki takka football or whether it be get the ball wide and cross in the box. Bring in the players who can do the job and drill them so perform the way you want. Thought this watching the Mansfield v Newport League Two playoff semi-final earlier in the week. Mansfield trying to play fast, passing football, on the counter attack and Newport getting the ball forward early, winning lots of set pieces and getting the ball in the box wherever possible. It was a great battle of a game, one of the best 0-0's I've ever watched and it was because both teams were trying to execute quite opposite game plans.

Under Gray we weren't a 'great footballing side' but we were a great football team. We were a bit old school 4-4-2, CB's who headed everything, Couple of tricky wingers to help you get up the pitch. CM's who weren't afraid to put a tackle in, and a big striker +1 who we could aim the ball at from wide areas. We got the ball in the box quick and often. From the wide players we won plenty of free kicks and corners, every time we won one we put the ball into the box put them under pressure. If it was headed away we recycled it to a wide area quickly and got it back in the box. The Salford managers at the time even came out and said in our Evo-stik winning season we were the best team they had ever seen at recycling the ball and getting it back in the box. We weren't the prettiest team to watch but we executed our game plan so effectively.

Under Tommy we certainly tried to play a lot more 'football', but i often found us to be a bit ponderous with our passing. We would move the ball slowly from side to side, keeping possession well, but not really creating anything. We didn't put many crosses into the box when Ainge was upfront for us and i was never particularly sure what the actual tactical game plan was.

As CN says lots have teams have gone the wrong way having moved on a manager how provided a somewhat, old school, brand of football, but knew the players they needed to make it work and maintained their league position. In favour of a so called 'footballing manager' who at that level might not have the resources they need to play the football they want.

Will be interesting what school of thought our next manager comes from.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu May 16, 2019 12:46 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Absolutely, nobody can see into the future and there's always an element of risk with replacing a manager.

But with Hughton, I can perfectly understand why Brighton have opted for a change, and all the faux-outrage we've seen is a little patronising and over-the-top.

It's also a false equivalence to say playing "good" football means you have to accept losing more matches, or "eye-bleeding" football in a higher division. I don't think it's necessarily the case.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 16, 2019 6:27 pm

Brighton also have an extremely shrewd chairman who has made his money largely from gambling, both wining big on poker and then through a successful online betting business.

He's unlikely to have just made this decision on a whim and I'm certain will have weighed his options very carefully, probably taken a lot of evidence in to account and I'd imagine already knew who he wanted to replace Hughton and has an evidence base to suggest they're a better bet than Hughton next season.

DC

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu May 16, 2019 6:35 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:18 pm
For every Pochettino there's an Ole Gunnar.
For every Martin Gray there's a Tommy Wright.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri May 17, 2019 11:40 am

some similarities with Wright and Hughton. Both nice blokes. but the evidence is there in terms of what they can do with a football team. in both cases, you could've extended their tenures and you'd have had another 12 months of the same product on the pitch.

we believe a different manager with the same budget could / should do better.

I wonder what Brighton's chairman's requirements are for next season - will it be more wins or more attractive football....suspect this will become clearer when their new manager is appointed.