Today’s Playoffs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Today’s Playoffs

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 06, 2019 6:56 am

D_F_C wrote:
The darlo fan who hates darlo fans or someone who says something that people don’t like to hear.
You might care to re-word this. I suspect you were going for one of your regular obsessive insults towards me, but have ended up being quite complimentary.

Let's see if you can figure it out.
D_F_C wrote: If you don’t think Spenny are a rival then that’s your opinion.
Cheers, would never have worked that out.
D_F_C wrote: Our fans spend an extraordinary amount of time talking about Spenny especially on social media. Some of our fans are scared to admit that Spenny are our current rivals who are better than us at the moment. Brad’s money has seen them overtake us.

Still prefer to be us though.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure why you've got such a love-in with Spenny. I remember one occasion, when Ainsley had a wobble about whether he wanted to stay in charge, you said something like "The league wouldn't be the same without him", which was rather tragic.

I just don't get this supposed rivalry. Just because they're local doesn't make them a rival. Like I said, we had other sides who closer to us when in the Northern League, but didn't class them as rivals.

To me, Hartlepool are our only proper rivals.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon May 06, 2019 7:47 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:56 am

I just don't get this supposed rivalry. Just because they're local doesn't make them a rival. Like I said, we had other sides who closer to us when in the Northern League, but didn't class them as rivals.

This sums up the Spenny situation for me. I see our resident Spenny fan was slagging us off on twitter again yesterday, accusing us of being obsessed, despite the fact he lives on here and tweets about us on the day of their biggest game this season.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon May 06, 2019 9:36 am

Thought you'd been a bit quiet Gramps! Whilst Hartlepool might be historic rivals I'm certain that Spennymoor, Blyth, York are current rivals as we're competing in the same league and area?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:59 am

Depends how you define a rivalry doesn't it?

There isn't any hatred, I think is what is meant. I mean, i sort of see them like Gateshead. In that I quite like having a local game, but i don't really get all wound up about them. Of course I want to see us above them, but I think that about every one. I don't really celebrate them losing, like i celebrate Pools losing. Maybe that is the measure. York is a funny one. We've been in the same division many times of course, but i've always liked our away games there and there isn't really an edge for me.

I certainly like local games, and actually, on a wildly idealistic level, i'd like to see all of the North East doing well, to a point. That means the big three all in the top flight, and ideally ourselves and Hartlepool in the football league one day (i do mean that about Pools as well - the rivalry doesn't mean i want them extinct, although i'm very, very relaxed about some short term suffering, i want to see us both back to playing each other regularly).

Gateshead, Spen, South Shields and the like, i'm happy to see do well also. Just not at our expense.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon May 06, 2019 10:18 am

H1987 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:59 am
Depends how you define a rivalry doesn't it?

There isn't any hatred, I think is what is meant. I mean, i sort of see them like Gateshead. In that I quite like having a local game, but i don't really get all wound up about them. Of course I want to see us above them, but I think that about every one. I don't really celebrate them losing, like i celebrate Pools losing. Maybe that is the measure.
Interesting observation, for me it will always be Pools as they are the only team I celebrate losing.
Rivalry just doesn't spring up because a team is in the same area, it takes decades to ferment and develop abusive songs.
Continues even if we no longer play each other in competitive games. It is a shame a lot of our younger supporters have not experienced the atmosphere of a Hartlepool derby. I don't include the recent meeting in a reserve team mickey mouse cup.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:03 am

Yep. Maybe the key indicator is singing abusive songs, to some level. I've seen Newcastle and Sunderland fans sort of laying into Boro, that they don't matter only Sunderland-Newcastle do, but then you go to games and there's still an edge, and the fans sing some fairly unpleasant songs about each other. It's maybe not their main rivalry, but it's still clearly a rivalry which both sets of fans buy into. I've been to such games with mates, and they do have a derby feel about them. Most teams have some kind of secondary rival (or even third and so on), but for us, I really feel like there's only Pools.

I don't get that sense on a 'second rivalry' with Spennymoor at all. Like Gateshead. I have to put that possibility down to neither really having many fans, nor much of an away following, and it just doesn't create an atmosphere. But, i suppose it lacks the history as well. You'd think York would be a candidate for such a role, given we've shared divisions on many occasions in the past, but it's never really happened. Maybe if South Shields made it and stopped up, something might develop.... or maybe not. At least they have good crowds, and a large away following. Plenty of clubs have a second rival, but I just can't even put Spennymoor in that spot. That's not to say anything particularly bad about them. They're just a bit meh. Maybe it's because they and Gateshead both play in black and white. Stick them in blue and white, lets see if it makes a difference to how i feel.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon May 06, 2019 12:07 pm

I suppose part of any perceived rivalry with Spennymoor also comes from the two clubs rising through the divisions pretty much side by side - they are I believe the only team we've played almost every season since 2012 - was it just one season we were in a different division to them?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon May 06, 2019 12:36 pm

I understand what you're saying about rivalry but it's hard to get worked up about a team that's not been in our league for years. I remember going to darlo v Carlisle and there was a definite rivalry at least there were lots of Stone Island clad lads running about!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 06, 2019 1:29 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Thought you'd been a bit quiet Gramps! Whilst Hartlepool might be historic rivals I'm certain that Spennymoor, Blyth, York are current rivals as we're competing in the same league and area?
As I said earlier, I don't see geography alone as an indicator of who our rivals are.

Harrogate is closer to Darlington than Blyth (15 minutes quicker in the car according to Google). Yet we wouldn't even suggest they were any sort of rival/Derby game.

For me, I'm just not arsed whether Spennymoor or York do well. That's why I can't regard Spenny as our rivals. It's simply a game against a side nearby. With Hartlepool, I actively want them to do badly, because there's history there.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon May 06, 2019 4:00 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
D_F_C wrote:
The darlo fan who hates darlo fans or someone who says something that people don’t like to hear.
You might care to re-word this. I suspect you were going for one of your regular obsessive insults towards me, but have ended up being quite complimentary.

Let's see if you can figure it out.
D_F_C wrote: If you don’t think Spenny are a rival then that’s your opinion.
Cheers, would never have worked that out.
D_F_C wrote: Our fans spend an extraordinary amount of time talking about Spenny especially on social media. Some of our fans are scared to admit that Spenny are our current rivals who are better than us at the moment. Brad’s money has seen them overtake us.

Still prefer to be us though.
I'm not sure why you've got such a love-in with Spenny. I remember one occasion, when Ainsley had a wobble about whether he wanted to stay in charge, you said something like "The league wouldn't be the same without him", which was rather tragic.

Point 1 - you’ll find that you are the one that insults then plays victim. I gave my opinion that Harry isn’t as you portrayed him

Point 2 - was intended as an insult to m

Point 3 - I don’t recall making any such remark about Ainsley. I hardly call it a Spenny love in even if someone said that. You did the same with people who defended TW by calling them happy clappers. If they don’t conform to your opinion you try to alienate them and make them a minority.

Point 4 - I agree that Hartlepool will always be our number 1 rivals but I don’t think that should mean that others can be rivals on a lower scale. Hartlepool were our rivals mainly because they are similar size, always been in the same league. Boro would have made the most sense but we’ve never been in their league

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon May 06, 2019 4:11 pm

divas wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:04 pm
I’m interested to see Spennymoor go up just to see how they operate - whether they stay PT or go FT which would mean quite a few players and their manager making a big decision. It’ll give us a very good guide.
Perhaps a bit surprisingly, Stockport will be staying mainly part-time in the National League next season.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon May 06, 2019 4:41 pm

[/quote]

Ah look, the Darlington Fan Who Hates Darlington Fans is back.

Spennymoor are not, and never will be a rival. We compete for players with teams across the league - last season we were taking players from the Midlands. Don't recall anyone saying Nuneaton are big rival, so that's a nonsensical reason.

We're about 12 miles away from Shildon, yet when we played each other it was hardly a special occasion.

Look, it's your prerogative, but Spennymoor just isn't a big game to me at all. I class it with Leamington, Curzon, Boston etc in terms of meaningfulness.
[/quote]
Some are easy to hate.

Chandler, Ramshaw, Fewster. All players we lost out on to Spennymoor. Not sure you can say same about Nuneaton.

Spennymoor were our only serious rival for the NL title, hence why they meant more than Shildon. Was certainly a rivalry on NZL back at the time, as the myriad of posts would confirm.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 06, 2019 5:26 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote: Some are easy to hate.

Chandler, Ramshaw, Fewster. All players we lost out on to Spennymoor. Not sure you can say same about Nuneaton.

Spennymoor were our only serious rival for the NL title, hence why they meant more than Shildon. Was certainly a rivalry on NZL back at the time, as the myriad of posts would confirm.
Not really sure missing out on Brad Fewster and Quakerz having a scrap on a non-league messageboard are major reasons for calling Spennymoor rivals. But there you go. If you're using NLZ as a barometer for Darlington and Spennymoor's entire fanbase, you're on pretty shaky ground.

And like I said, we were competing with Midlands clubs for players this season, so I don't really think it's that much of a reason.

Last edited by Darlogramps on Mon May 06, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon May 06, 2019 5:35 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
divas wrote:
I’m interested to see Spennymoor go up just to see how they operate - whether they stay PT or go FT which would mean quite a few players and their manager making a big decision. It’ll give us a very good guide.
Perhaps a bit surprisingly, Stockport will be staying mainly part-time in the National League next season.
Would have thought they would have gone full time to try and avoid going straight back down after been in the nln for a few years

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon May 06, 2019 6:20 pm

Was missing out on the Chandler, Ramshaw and Fewsters not part of the reason we had to shop in the Midlands? The fact we are priced out of the North East. And they were definately our rivals in NL. Obviously, there is no long term rivalry of the magnitude of Hartlepool, there isn't the history or hatred. However, the longer we operate in the same sphere, the more chance it will develop. Would make more sense than praying for a Durham Cup tie against Poolie stiffs to elicit some passion.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon May 06, 2019 6:22 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:35 pm
LoidLucan wrote:
divas wrote:
Would have thought they would have gone full time to try and avoid going straight back down after been in the nln for a few years

Don't have a backer do they? Probably can't afford to go full-time.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon May 06, 2019 6:35 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:20 pm
Was missing out on the Chandler, Ramshaw and Fewsters not part of the reason we had to shop in the Midlands? The fact we are priced out of the North East. And they were definately our rivals in NL. Obviously, there is no long term rivalry of the magnitude of Hartlepool, there isn't the history or hatred. However, the longer we operate in the same sphere, the more chance it will develop. Would make more sense than praying for a Durham Cup tie against Poolie stiffs to elicit some passion.
The three players you mentioned all rejected us when Gray was manager.
The main reason we signed players from the midlands was because Wright knew them.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Mon May 06, 2019 6:46 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:
divas wrote:

Not sure but with crowds averaging 3k and will no doubt rise surely its doable even with no backer. Theres plenty of pro fan owned clubs with similar sized crowds
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:22 pm

shildonlad wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:
divas wrote:

Not sure but with crowds averaging 3k and will no doubt rise surely its doable even with no backer. Theres plenty of pro fan owned clubs with similar sized crowds
Crowd size is only part of the equation. Stockport have heavy costs, primarily the rent payment on Edgley Park which they no longer own.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 06, 2019 7:32 pm

Stockport also had a lot of debt, which they are slowly getting under control and paying off.

Good luck to them as they deserve to be higher than the NLN.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Mon May 06, 2019 7:35 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
LoidLucan wrote: Perhaps a bit surprisingly, Stockport will be staying mainly part-time in the National League next season.

Crowd size is only part of the equation. Stockport have heavy costs, primarily the rent payment on Edgley Park which they no longer own.

Oh yeah, sale rugby club aint it who own the ground. Not sure how they lost it in the 1st place

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 06, 2019 8:10 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Was missing out on the Chandler, Ramshaw and Fewsters not part of the reason we had to shop in the Midlands?
No, it wasn't. We shopped in the Midlands because Wright had links there, and knew players from the region.
HarryCharltonsCat wrote: And they were definately our rivals in NL.
We competed against them for the title. That was it. It was not a rivalry in the sense we're discussing in this thread.

P.S. It's 'definitely'.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Mon May 06, 2019 9:26 pm

Seems some want to keep this darlo/spenny rivalry stoked up. Bit below the belt as alot of fans spend alot of time fundraising. Whos running them bliddy accounts!
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... f18815.jpg[/IMG]

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 06, 2019 9:49 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:26 pm
Seems some want to keep this darlo/spenny rivalry stoked up. Bit below the belt as alot of fans spend alot of time fundraising. Whos running them bliddy accounts!
A child of some kind, either an actual one or an adult one.

It really doesn’t make any difference, all teams have odd ball supporters.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon May 06, 2019 10:01 pm

My money is on that two faced slimy b****** namely Spen666.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Tue May 07, 2019 4:47 am

Is the joke not wearing a but thin as there seems to be several similar accounts churning out the same old jokes. Also a case of double standards as after the demise of the original spennymoor the fans set up the current version and no doubt rattled buckets

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:49 am

shildonlad wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:35 pm
Oh yeah, sale rugby club aint it who own the ground. Not sure how they lost it in the 1st place
I think it might actually be the council.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:52 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:49 am
shildonlad wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:35 pm
I think it might actually be the council.

I think you are right. I understand that the Council bought the ground back from its previous owners in 2015

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33733686

I am not aware of any change in ownership of the ground since then. I do wonder what the "commercial return from their purchase" the Council are getting from Stockport county ie how much is their rent

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue May 07, 2019 8:38 am

Sale Sharks play at the AJ Bell stadium alongside Salford Reds. It's the smart one you can see by the Trafford Centre. The council leases Edgeley Park to the footie club after they bought it for £2 million to prevent demolition/redevelopment apparently.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 07, 2019 8:55 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:38 am
Sale Sharks play at the AJ Bell stadium alongside Salford Reds. It's the smart one you can see by the Trafford Centre. The council leases Edgeley Park to the footie club after they bought it for £2 million to prevent demolition/redevelopment apparently.
It's good to see a council supporting it's local football team. :roll: