Female managers

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Female managers

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:39 am

We've picked up one or two national headlines for saying we'll guarantee an interview to suitably qualified female candidate.

What I find interesting is how this has barely been commented on by supporters. I've also thought the idea of gender/race representation in football was more of a media bubble issue.

My suspicion is (and I admit to having no empirical evidence to back this up) the majority supporters aren't fussed about the characteristics of a prospective manager (including gender, skin colour, disabilities or sexuality)

Simply the majority of football fans just want the best person for the job. If that person happens to be a woman, that's fine by me.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ghost_Of_1883

Re: Female managers

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:16 am

It wouldn't bother me TBH, but I just can't see it happening, regardless of any guaranteed interviews.

Can't imagine many women wanting the job, and for those that do they will have tough competition.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:18 am

I think it's a good move. Similarly, i wouldn't mind us sort of abiding by an informal 'Rooney rule' and interviewing a minority candidate as well.

We give the job to the best fit for the role at the end of the process anyway, but there's nothing wrong with improving access and the chances for those under represented in the sport by giving them a chance at the interview stage. You never know, there could be a brilliant female manager out there that no one has even been prepared to interview in the past. I'm not really sure that we will get many female applicants... but who knows. I suspect the professional jobs in the womens league all pay more than we can anyway.

I also don't have a problem with it, but you know some of the luddites in our support would.... or would like keep it schtum until something goes wrong. Then the abuse would end up being something to behold, and probably amplified because it was a woman on the receiving end. I've no problem with it at all though. Interview away :thumbup: you never know, we could end up with a better candidate than we would get if they were male, simply because they want a go at managing in the male game and no one will give them a chance.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:57 am

Absolutely fine by me, as long as she's an ex-player and 'Darlo through and through'.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:47 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:16 am
It wouldn't bother me TBH, but I just can't see it happening, regardless of any guaranteed interviews.

Can't imagine many women wanting the job, and for those that do they will have tough competition.
Not an issue for me at all either, the main blocker will come from the fact that you’d ideally want someone who knew the league and had worked in the sphere - given no women are currently doing that it then still becomes very difficult for them to be the outstanding candidate when it comes to being up against someone who had experience at this level.

Marty1

Post by Marty1 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:08 pm

Great Idea and could save us a few bob on washing and ironing the kits. ( For all the Snowflakes i am taking the p**s )
In all honesty if the candidate is good enough and ticks all the boxes it should not matter. My only fear of course is the dog`s abuse both the Directors and the lady will get if it goes tit`s up ( pardon the pun ) as the Media that would Laud the decision initially will turn on us like a woman scorned. ( Oh dear there i go again i just can`t stop myself )

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:33 pm

If we're not in a position to take a leap of faith on the likes of Chris Swailes, as some suggest, how can we do so on a woman?

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:44 pm

PR spin, nothing more and nothing less.

Next.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:49 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:33 pm
If we're not in a position to take a leap of faith on the likes of Chris Swailes, as some suggest, how can we do so on a woman?

It worked for Cherie Lunghi

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096647/

Imagine the initial publicity...would put a good few on gate for first few games

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:44 pm

Absolutely crazy to even consider a female, totally impractical even if she has a good knowledge of coaching, just would not work for many reasons.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

aveda

Post by aveda » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:56 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:44 pm
Absolutely crazy to even consider a female, totally impractical even if she has a good knowledge of coaching, just would not work for many reasons.

What reasons are they ?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:13 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Whereas there are numerous reasons that will guarantee the success of a male manager?

Tommy Wright didn't work. The majority of Darlington Managers in my 20+ years supporting the club didn't work. Not sure someone being female makes them any more likely to fail than the long list of failures that's gone before them.

I think it's unlikely we'll appoint a female manager - but probably because as Divas says, the pool of applicants that fit the criteria is far more likely to include male candidates than female.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:21 pm

aveda wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

What reasons are they ?
For starters being in the team changing room at full time when the players are in and out of showers, what do they do, get dried and dressed in the cubicles.You cannot mix males and females in these situations It will not work.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:25 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:21 pm
aveda wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

What reasons are they ?
For starters being in the team changing room at full time when the players are in and out of showers, what do they do, get dried and dressed in the cubicles.You cannot mix males and females in these situations It will not work.

It works for England Women's team with a male manager!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:26 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:21 pm
aveda wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

What reasons are they ?

:lol:

I can just imagine it now

"We had this incredible manager lined up. She was perfect for the job and by far the best candidate. But we couldn't think of a solution to the problem (if it even is a problem) of shower spaces, so we had to go with someone far inferior"

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:27 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
aveda wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

What reasons are they ?

One would presume some sort of towel would be in order.

It's a pretty thin reason that doesn't stack up. The women's game seems to cope with male managers so no reason why we can't flip it around.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:31 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
aveda wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

What reasons are they ?

One would presume some sort of towel would be in order.

It's a pretty thin reason that doesn't stack up. The women's game seems to cope with male managers so no reason why we can't flip it around.
Changed my mind Gramps, does Dolly Parton have the necessary coaching badges, she would liven things up a bit .

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:35 pm

My guess is she doesn't, but someone like Emma Hayes might.

But Divas' point is more relevant - do they have the relevant knowledge and experience to make them suitable for us?

Give my love to the 1970s though, seeing as you appear to be stuck there.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:50 pm

Think you are right Gramps, Emma Hayes has a good background and would be a great candidate.Would she work with Whitey though as his language gets a bit strong.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:05 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:50 pm
Think you are right Gramps, Emma Hayes has a good background and would be a great candidate.Would she work with Whitey though as his language gets a bit strong.

You do know that women are perfectly capable of hearing (and indeed using) swear words?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:08 pm

al_quaker wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

You do know that women are perfectly capable of hearing (and indeed using) swear words?
Too right I do

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:12 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:05 pm
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

If anyone doubts this I'd be happy to introduce them to my other half :lol:
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:28 pm

Slightly off topic I know but how many times in the last few seasons have we had female match day referees who have put their male counterparts to shame. Hence why could a female manager not work ?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:43 pm

I would be happy with a female manager, if she was qualified to do the job. Just think of the publicity we'd get and also we'd probably attract more female fans as well.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:55 pm

I’d also be happy with a female manager if they were right for the job and there were lots of female choice but I just can’t see it happening. More of a PR exercise to divert the talk of sacking Tommy. Whoever comes in it’s going to be a bloody hard job but at least the club have the time to get the right candidate male or female.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:28 pm

I just knew when this was discussed that dangly bits in dressing rooms would come into it at some stage :shock:
Last edited by LoidLucan on Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:36 pm

I guess QUAKERMAN2 has confirmed the reason why positive affirmation that the applications would be welcomed was needed - when I guess I'd have assumed it was a given.

For perspective for QUAKERMAN2 would it surprise him to learn that referees operate in teams including females these days amazingly they manage to get changed, showered and everything without issue. Also there are, would you believe, female physios and everything these days. It's almost as if it turns out that if you are qualified to do your job your gender doesn't matter...

The Applicants will have :
  • The desire and drive to succeed in a competitive division with many talented teams and the ambition to take the club to the next level:
    The ability to manage, motivate and coach a first team squad to give of their best on the field:
  • A UEFA ‘A’ Licence or be actively registered and studying for this qualification together with evidence of continuing professional development over the last five years:
  • Evidence of being able to apply coaching theory to ‘on pitch’ performance and influence game outcome positively by tactical knowledge and decision making:
  • A network of connections within the professional game to facilitate loan players, access to facilities and more general support within the game:
  • The ability to build an effective coaching/support team as necessary to deliver on field performance:
  • Experience in the recruitment, development and coaching of young players through an accredited Academy with successful promotion of players to first team level or more senior clubs:
  • The ability to manage within an agreed budget and work with the board on financial business matters:
  • A strong connection with fans and excellent PR skills – able to commit time to work with the local community and governing bodies as an ambassador for the club:
  • A role model for code of conduct behaviours in the game and highly supportive of standards for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in line with FA guidelines:
  • Experience of using performance data and analytics to improve performance and outline coaching improvement plans for players.
That is all that really matters.

As I say I don't really think it should be news that job offer encourages applications from females and BAME...it should be a given.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:15 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:36 pm
Also there are, would you believe, female physios and everything these days.
Marske Utd, for example.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:32 pm

load of bollocks literally about a female manager worried about dangly bits I suppose its the same for all the female physios dealing with groin strains?

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:41 pm

I liked the mention of Cheri Lunghi and don't forget Wendy Craig is Darlo 'through and through'. But seriously why not? It's time it happened and Quakers could generate a lot of interest. All the dressing room stuff could easily be worked around and it wouldn't hurt for White to mind his manners and several people have made the point about a bloke managing the England Women's team. Women's ref's are okay, they can play well and the female input to tele punditry has been positive. In fact when all's said and done it wouldn't be a bad idea if women could run the world. So why not the Quakers.