Favourite game + season grading

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

mikkyx
Site Admin

Favourite game + season grading

Post by mikkyx » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:28 am

Asked this on Twitter, might as well ask here too - what was your favourite game of this season, and how (from A to F) would you grade the season? I'll read some of the responses out on my football show on Darlo Radio tomorrow afternoon.

Can someone point me in the direction of a Spennymoor forum (if they have one) so I can ask there too? We cover them on the show as well. :shifty:
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Favourite game + season grading

Post by JE93 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:58 am

Favourite has to be the 5-1 home win v York on boxing day.

Grade E: Spent most of the season scrapping at the bottom. Non-existent cup runs. Poor signings. Falling attendances. We didn't get relegated so that saves it from an F.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:07 am

Favourite game Darlo v Marathon Bet Legends as I managed to get 20 minutes on the pitch and someone thought I was Billy Bragg

Grade E Long periods of despair as TW trotted out " we are a good team " so many times eventually the players stopped believing. We strengthened the management team but netcafe raised more questions than answers and we still do not know where we are going.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:41 am

Best game of the season by far will be Leamington on Saturday so we can see the end of a dreadful season and a dreadful manager.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:42 am

And the season has definitely been a grade F.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:44 am

Mentioned it on twitter but ain’t sure if you seen it.

2 games stand out for me.
Home Game: York at home as we demolished them.
Away Game: Hereford purely because 10 of us stayed over for the weekend and got absolutely smashed beyond belief.

Season: F. Been shite.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:38 am

Favourite game has to be York at home - the result, the atmosphere, the performance, and getting to watch a player as good as Nelson

Overall season grade is E-, avoiding an F purely because we didn't get relegated. Barring a handful of games, an awful season full of awful performances.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:46 am

The Boxing day demolition of York is the stand out game of the season.

There were others though - beating both Telford and Kidderminster 3 nil each. I actually enjoyed the games against Blyth, Spennymoor and Chorley, where we played well but didn't win. In fact, we seemed to play well against supposedly better teams, but fail miserably against less challenging opposition (Nuneaton anyone?).

We did see some great goals too - Nelson against Ashton, Nicholson against York (amongst others), Thommo against Kidderminster (amongst others) and Kneeshaw against Chorley stand out for me. I also enjoyed Hughes' goal against York, after his off field and fitness issues (which were dealt with sensitively by club, management and fans alike).

There were, also, many disappointments, which I'm sure have been, and will be, well documented by others.

Because there were some bright moments, and because I'm an eternal optimist (and my job occasionally involves rolling turds in glitter, metaphorically speaking), I'll give the season a D.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:20 am

From Spennymoor point of view

Favourite Game
3-0 home win v Sutton in FA Trophy for two of the best goals I have ever seen at the Brewery Field and demolishing a National League side. Got to say the Sutton fans were a fantastic bunch as well.

or

3-0 win at Hereford. A great performance and having watched Darlington lose at Hereford United in the past and having had THAT goal from Ronnie Radford rammed down my throat for 40+ years, it was nice to support a side to victory at Hereford

How to rate the season? Probably "B" because the team had the chance of winning this league at end of February / March and then had that awful run. So whilst to reach the play offs is something the club have never achieved before, it could have been better.

No Spennymoor Forum - tag club on twitter or go to the Spennymoor Town FC UNofficial Page on Facebook

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:29 am

My favourite game was way back in August before the rot set in a 4 2 win away at brackley town the best football side in our division where an unbelievable individual performance from Reece styche had the points virtually wrapped up by half time. That day seems years ago now sigh.

Sweet-FA

Post by Sweet-FA » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:14 pm

Favourite Game

3-0 home win against Telford.

Telford were second and still unbeaten at the time and we played them off the park. Also the 5-1 win against York was an excellent game and result but I think we rode our luck a bit that day with York hitting the woodwork twice and having a player sent off. The Telford match was an excellent team performance from start to finish.

Season Grade

E

From early in the season me and my friends were saying the best this team could hope for was a mid-table finish. There have been some good performances which do suggest we should have finished higher. Andrew Nelson's loan spell makes you wonder where we would have finished with him or at least a regular goalscorer still in the team.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:46 pm

Favourite Game was Kidderminster at Home, Many thought without Nelson that we would struggle but I felt like that was our most complete performance of the whole season. York at home obviously was a brilliant game too.

Season grade for me is an E, we are consistently inconsistent with the good performances being the anomalies and with some of the players we have (Thompson, Nicholson, Trotman, Elliot, Tez etc) other managers would have gotten so many better results than what we have gotten the season.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:41 pm

I'll go with York at home, an awesome display.

Season grading D, considering all the players we've lost, the team has done well to escape the relegation zone.

HoughtonQuaker

Post by HoughtonQuaker » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:16 pm

The notion that we’ve somehow achieved something of note by ‘escaping’ the relegation zone is absolutely mind blowing.

Back to the point in hand. Most memorable game has to be the York 5-1. Season grade: a VERY generous F. I can’t wait for it to be over and the necessary changes be made

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:22 pm

I heard a Stoke fan on the radio the other day summing up their season with a sound like that deflating noise trapped wind sometimes makes and I thought that kind of summed up ours too. At least we've scored the odd penalty though, so there's always someone worse off.

E - must do better next season.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:24 am

Telford game for me, followed by York.

Grading difficult and may go for an overall B-, not so much for the football but for the progress made off the field, with the academy, finances starting to get in order, commercially, with full time employee and the board strengthened. With the club looking like it is starting to build for the future.

Assume everyone else only marking for the football, but without the other off field work we would not have a team, and not having a team is much worse than just having a poor season on the pitch (football only marking would be D- for me, as I have watched much worse over the years)

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:44 am

50 years wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:24 am
Telford game for me, followed by York.

Grading difficult and may go for an overall B-, not so much for the football but for the progress made off the field, with the academy, finances starting to get in order, commercially, with full time employee and the board strengthened. With the club looking like it is starting to build for the future.

Assume everyone else only marking for the football, but without the other off field work we would not have a team, and not having a team is much worse than just having a poor season on the pitch (football only marking would be D- for me, as I have watched much worse over the years)
Good points here. The club as an entity is probably on a better financial foundation (C+) and bit like an iceberg in that this is largely unseen. The tip is what most of us see on the pitch (FFS), which was terrible apart from York on Boxing Day - best Christmas prezzie

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:24 am

Best Game: Darlo 5 v York 1.

Grading: U as in unclassified. We were awful but at least turned up for the exam. We were not bad enough to go down which would have led to a FAIL grade!