Guiseley match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

QUAKERMAN2
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Guiseley match thread

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:54 am

Whoever is manager in the summer faces a massive rebuilding job.Once the loan signings return to their clubs you can count on one hand those players you would want to keep, probably 5 max.Of the loan signings, Turner,Palmer and Smith have looked good and would have these back.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:41 am

Yesterday's results mean it's all sorted with regards to relegation but the promotion battle from the Evo Stik Prem is going down to the wire. Farsley just need a point at home to Marine on Saturday to take the title and they've made the game free to everyone, great gesture. If they make it, it will be interesting how Cartman and Syers fare back in National North next season. Cartman is sure to want to prove a point after everyone said he was too easily muscled out of it by the big, tough, physical games at this level.

South Shields have a more difficult game at Gainsborough but even if they miss out on the title I still expect them to win through in the play-offs, even though it's trickier this season. And they are sure to splash more cash for next season.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 am

LoidLucan wrote:Yesterday's results mean it's all sorted with regards to relegation but the promotion battle from the Evo Stik Prem is going down to the wire. Farsley just need a point at home to Marine on Saturday to take the title and they've made the game free to everyone, great gesture. If they make it, it will be interesting how Cartman and Syers fare back in National North next season. Cartman is sure to want to prove a point after everyone said he was too easily muscled out of it by the big, tough, physical games at this level.

South Shields have a more difficult game at Gainsborough but even if they miss out on the title I still expect them to win through in the play-offs, even though it's trickier this season. And they are sure to splash more cash for next season.
Cannot believe the number of goals SS score in the 90+ minutes, scored with the last kick in the 97th minute on Saturday and must have been gut wrenching for Farsley waiting for that result.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:11 am

Another piss pants poor performance from the majority of our players not to mention the manager yet again.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:21 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:54 am
Whoever is manager in the summer faces a massive rebuilding job.Once the loan signings return to their clubs you can count on one hand those players you would want to keep, probably 5 max.Of the loan signings, Turner,Palmer and Smith have looked good and would have these back.

I have no more to say about this season, game or manager tbh would feel like a copy and paste job of what has been said before. So might be some more interesting debate around players.

I think there are arguments to keep more than 5, (10 in my opinion):
Maddison - I still think there is a capable keeper in there somewhere. He is shot of concidence which needs changing, in any case we can't afford to carry 2 first choice keepers in the squad. So its play him into form or move him on and bring in a first choice GK.
Galbraith - Has a contract for next season, can cover two positions and rarely has an awful game. Needs a vocal CB next to him to help him organise and play his best.
Ainge - Not 100% on Ainge, no doubt he is on CF money. Bu5 he's strong and vocal and wins lots in the air. Needs to sort out his distribution if he's to play in a 2 man CB partnership, too often just hoofs the ball away.
Trotman - Arguably our biggest asset and most likely one of the first names on the team sheet.
Elliott - Tidy little player who can cover LB, RB, CM. The kind of player you need with a small squad, would definitely keep.
Wheatley - Hasn't been anywhere near his best this season. Had the hernia early on, not sure if this has been sorted yet, if he comes back fresh next season could be like having a new player.
Holness - From what little we've seen so far this season i'd sign him up for next, strong physical lad, perhaps needs to slightly work on his temperament, but with a good range of passing too.
Thompson - Nothing really needs to be said.
Kneeshaw - Splits opinion, but i think there is a good footballer in there. Would be happy enough to see him in the squad for next season.
Nicholson - Up there for player of the season. Lots of technical ability. Think he needs to play centrally behind the striker, in the mythical No.10 role to get the best out of him.

That means i'd move on (if we can):
O'Hanlon - Aready stated he wants to be closer to home and contract coming to an end.
Glover - shame for the lad lots of technical ability but nowhere for him to play and develop in the team.
Burn - Hasn't shown anything to make me think he can play at this level. Hopefully a northern league team will be willing to tak him on the wages he's no doubt getting from us.
Henshall - Sadly just not done enough. Shown things in glimpses but not lived up to his hype.

As for the loan players. Palmer and Smith are too good to be playing at this level again next season. For their own career's they need to move up the levels and test themselves against better players and I think they both will. Same goes for Jackson and Elliott (although Elliott less so but that is probably down to seeing less of him). As for Turner even if he isn't given a new contract with Bolton at the end of the season, I would be surprised if a FL club doesn't give him a contract as a No.2 keeper. Still young with good pedigree and fairly inexpensive option for them on that basis.

In general with using 5 loan players to build the squad, you will always lose key and performing players either in January as clubs look to recall them and test them at a hgher level or at the end of the season as they're not your players. You just have to make sure you are always in the market for the next player. Luckily we operate in an area where 4 high quality academies (Boro, Newcastle, Sunderland and Leeds) operate near by. We have to look to build these relationships in the long term. The other problem will be having a good team for the start of the season. Currently the FL loan deadline is the end of August, while NL clubs and below can make loans after then, we might find that clubs are holding out for the best potential clubs for their younger players. As such we might find ourselves waiting till the end of august to complete the squad, which isn't ideal.

So based on the lists above. We need to be building up the squad with:
GK - depending on the Maddision situation. If he stays then we just need a youth keeper on the bench.
CB - Competition for Galbraith and Ainge and give us the option to play 3 at the back.
LB - Need a natural option in this position.
LW - We don't have a player who stretches teams on this side of the pitch.
2 x CF's - A CF and some competition for them.

That would give us a squad of 16 players, supplemented with a 2nd year academy lad or two to give them some experience. It would be a small squad and there may be times when injuries bite but i think as a fan group we could accept that if we saw players putting in the effort for the club and knowing the circumstances in which we operate.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:14 am

Some points on your points - all in all it's a sad state of affairs.

Maddison. Time to say goodbye if we can. He's cost us precious points this season and when we get in goalies on loan, they nearly always prove successful.

Ainge. Judging by yesterdays performance he wants moving on as well, if we can, he doesn't look interested to me.

So that's 8 players to keep for me, and to state the obvious, where are the goal scorers?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:28 am

The ref was abysmal, there wasn't a bad challenge in the game and yet he and the linesman were suckered in by Guiseley players throwing themselves on the floor at every opportunity. Their penalty looked very soft as well.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:30 am

Would really have like to see a performance that would suggest more to come from the team but it was very poor from both teams, only galbraith, thomo, kit elliot, and Boscombe when he came on showed any like, holness, Nicholson, elliot, ainge just seemed to be elsewhere yesterday, not a good day for all the supporters that made it to Guiseley. Well done to all of you for your continued support.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:43 pm

onewayup wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:30 am
Would really have like to see a performance that would suggest more to come from the team but it was very poor from both teams, only galbraith, thomo, kit elliot, and Boscombe when he came on showed anything like, holness, Nicholson, elliot, ainge just seemed to be elsewhere yesterday, not a good day for all the supporters that made it to Guiseley. Well done to all of you for your continued support.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Guiseley match thread

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:58 pm

Couldnt understand why we insisted on playing the ball in the air and not on the floor.

They were like something out of Avatar so we had no chance of competing most of the time.

Did anyone else notice TWs body language? Was just leaning on the dugout or sat down most of the game.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:54 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:Couldnt understand why we insisted on playing the ball in the air and not on the floor.

They were like something out of Avatar so we had no chance of competing most of the time.

Did anyone else notice TWs body language? Was just leaning on the dugout or sat down most of the game.
He does that most game TBH

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:22 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:54 pm
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:Couldnt understand why we insisted on playing the ball in the air and not on the floor.

Football myth number 451: A football manager who jumps around provides more motivation to their players.

Football managers can be entirely competent and can also sit down for an entire football match, by the same token if Tommy were to start jumping up and down and waving his arms around it wouldn't make his summer transfer dealings any more successful.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:35 am

Unfortunately though, whether he's sat down, leaning on the dugout or shouting, what TW clearly doesn't do on a consistent basis is have his players motivated, fit and organised for battle.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:36 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:22 am
Football myth number 451: A football manager who jumps around provides more motivation to their players.
Sven-Goran Eriksson ;)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:44 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:22 am
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:54 pm

Football managers can be entirely competent and can also sit down for an entire football match, by the same token if Tommy were to start jumping up and down and waving his arms around it wouldn't make his summer transfer dealings any more successful.
I completely agree. But at the same time, how many times has he said in his post match interview that players didn't follow instructions. Yet during matches he stands there serenely arms folded offering the occasional clap. If they aren't doing their jobs, tell them, if they're not picking their men up, tell them, if they aren't keeping their shape, tell them. You have the benefit standing on the side seeing the whole game. Give the players information on what's happening. It was noticeable this season how much information Cowan, Gannon, Ainsley etc give their teams while they're on the field, whether they were winning or losing. I don't want someone there shouting and screaming for the sake of it. But someone there giving players information they can use to improve their performance in real time who wouldn't want that.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:08 pm

Mention of Sven reminded me of his demeanor at the England v Brazil quarter final. He sat virtually throughout while Phil Scholari was up and down geeing his team on. 1-2 flattered us - some of our lot's performances this season have been as lacklustre as England's second half that day. If you play for a manager like Sven was that day you might well feel he isn't bothered. We need a mean midfielder and a meaner manager.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:24 am

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/whitey- ... -on-a-high
Apparently the poor performance was down to AW not being able to feed the players over the Easter weekend, he really is taking the p***