TW - Learning His Trade

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: TW - Learning His Trade

Post by onewayup » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:46 pm

Darlogramps, I venture you just don't get it do you, :roll:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:59 pm

onewayup wrote:Darlogramps, I venture you just don't get it do you, :roll:
I get it perfectly. You're so wedded to TW you can't bear the idea of him leaving. And you're clutching at anything to justify it, rather than looking at his 18 months as a whole.

But the guy is useless for many reasons, as discussed in depth already. And the idea there's no one who can take over from Wright has repeatedly been debunked.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

bga

Post by bga » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:46 pm

loan_star wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:09 pm
bga wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:19 pm
loan_star wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:37 am

Would you be happy with Jason Ainsley as manager? Someone who has a virtual blank cheque at the start of the season and can get new players in to create even more competition, yet has proven that even that sort of set up does not guarantee anything?
For me the biggest issue with Wright is that he failed to get a settled formation early in the season and tried to shoehorn players in rather than get the best formation that suited most of his players instead of getting all the name players in. Its the poor run at the start of the season that sent crowds down and forced the budget cuts and the weaker teams we had to put out until the loanees were brought in.
In his favour is his academy work, his willing to work under whatever constraints are put upon him and he obviously has an eye for decent young players. Any replacement manager has to have these attributes and more if we are to progress under the current ownership set up.
".....has an eye for decent young players"...…...Like who? Glover has not made the breakthrough if indeed he ever will. If you refer to the Loans TW has brought in, I think it is fair to say their parent Club has recognised their talent not TW!
Nicholson and Elliott are not bad players. Dont you think that Wright actually takes in games to look at potential signings whether on loan or permanent deals before approaching the parent club about a transfer? Or do you think he just rings clubs up and says send me a defender please?

That's what worries me and many others. He must have watched Maddison (even TW doesn't think he is good enough), Burn, Ainge (signed as a forward), Hughes (signed as midfielder), Henshall (signed as what?) and even Glover when he turned 17. That is a lot to get wrong! I think the phone call might work better in future.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:01 pm

onewayup wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:46 pm
Darlogramps, I venture you just don't get it do you, :roll:
He gets it infinitely better than you do. It's your brand of generic, Up the Quakers, all will come good bollocks that's the real danger here.

There is no evidence base to suggest TW and AW can improve us moving forward. For all the talk of budget cuts, let's not forget he spunked what he did have on mostly gash players and any budget cuts are in part down to the dreadful home record he has overseen which naturally impacts on crowds.

I honestly don't get the cult of delusion with him.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:19 pm

Mister e wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:18 pm
Lord Lucan mark beck did play under Tommy Wright we lost him because somebody leaked the news about a release clause in his contract to Harrogate town manager Simon weaver.
Not that it matters but Beck never played under Wright, his last game was Curzon Ashton away under Gray. He had played most of his 13 appearances with an injury, he supported Brown & Turnbull on the bench and eventually Wright sold him to Harrogate Town.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:52 pm

Geordie quaker, another who doesn't get it :roll:, tut tut.
It's not all infinitely about what you or I think.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:01 pm

onewayup wrote:Geordie quaker, another who doesn't get it :roll:, tut tut.
Given this is a messageboard, it is about what people think.

And a majority of people think TW is hopeless and needs to go.

Plenty also think your opinions are flimsy and worthless.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:16 pm

If he goes then so be it. Everyone has an opinion, I respect your right to have your opinions. As I have mine
Be they right or wrong.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:24 pm

One way up, please explain what 'It' is, this elusive 'It' that we're not getting. If you can tell us then maybe you'll have more weight to your argument.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:36 pm

loan_star wrote:
bga wrote:
loan_star wrote:

Would you be happy with Jason Ainsley as manager? Someone who has a virtual blank cheque at the start of the season and can get new players in to create even more competition, yet has proven that even that sort of set up does not guarantee anything?
For me the biggest issue with Wright is that he failed to get a settled formation early in the season and tried to shoehorn players in rather than get the best formation that suited most of his players instead of getting all the name players in. Its the poor run at the start of the season that sent crowds down and forced the budget cuts and the weaker teams we had to put out until the loanees were brought in.
In his favour is his academy work, his willing to work under whatever constraints are put upon him and he obviously has an eye for decent young players. Any replacement manager has to have these attributes and more if we are to progress under the current ownership set up.
".....has an eye for decent young players"...…...Like who? Glover has not made the breakthrough if indeed he ever will. If you refer to the Loans TW has brought in, I think it is fair to say their parent Club has recognised their talent not TW!
Nicholson and Elliott are not bad players. Dont you think that Wright actually takes in games to look at potential signings whether on loan or permanent deals before approaching the parent club about a transfer? Or do you think he just rings clubs up and says send me a defender please?
JE93 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:14 pm
but did he seriously think Nicholson, Thompson and Henshall were our best attacking options?
Nicholson and Thompson are our top scorers so yes those two are arguably our best attacking options. Henshall was picked to play out wide in a formation that should have got the best out of him but he didnt deliver again. I doubt we will see him again.
Hope so re. Henshall, but who is going to be daft enough to take him off us (assuming that he is on a two-year contract). Same applies to Maddison & Burn.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:56 pm

onewayup wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:52 pm
Geordie quaker, another who doesn't get it :roll:, tut tut.
You are consistently one of the thickest contributors to this board and the idea that you think I'm missing something (whilst not even vaguely alluding to what this is) is enough to compromise the time-space continuum.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:17 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
loan_star wrote:
bga wrote:
loan_star wrote:

JE93 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:14 pm
but did he seriously think Nicholson, Thompson and Henshall were our best attacking options?
Nicholson and Thompson are our top scorers so yes those two are arguably our best attacking options. Henshall was picked to play out wide in a formation that should have got the best out of him but he didnt deliver again. I doubt we will see him again.
Hope so re. Henshall, but who is going to be daft enough to take him off us (assuming that he is on a two-year contract). Same applies to Maddison & Burn.
Whilst I can’t guarantee anything, I’d heard a ‘few’ of the players were signed on a 1 year contract with the option of a second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:08 pm

Anyone owning up to being a member of the 'cult'? It's been a dire season and whilst I didn't expect us to be pulling up trees and racing into the top seven, it's just not good enough.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:34 pm

Going slightly off topic I know but who would have thought at the start of the season pre season favourites Southport guiseley York city and to a degree Chester would have struggled. Likewise Altrincham darting up into the play off picture along with Telford united who only appointed Gavin Cowan into his first managerial post in the summer. You've also got to credit Jason Ainsley with the quote of the season back in September when he said this is a basket case of a league.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:07 pm

Am I the only one who thinks we're consigning Maddison to the dustbin a bit early? He's still young for a keeper, not that experienced, and played behind a constantly changing back four/three. He's made mistakes, but most keepers at this level do. Following Pears didn't help either.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:40 pm

Harry he must have cost us at least 20 points this season with his clangers have look where those points would have elevated us to in the league. I've got more of s downer on the keeper than the management.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:35 pm

He alone has cost us 7 games? Think that might be a little harsh, but can't be bothered going through highlights to prove or disprove it. In essence, you're saying he cost us the chance of pushing for promotion?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:59 pm

I can't see how TW acted with undue haste over the goalkeeper situation. We only brought Turner in at the beginning of March so Maddison had plenty of time to iron out the mistakes and show everyone what he was capable of. He's had some good games as at Southport when we got a point largely thanks him but the mistakes kept cropping up and I don't think the defence had a great deal of confidence. His positioning, judgement and ability with crosses have been called into question and that's why TW brought someone else in. Some might say it should have happened sooner.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:41 pm

He has been making mistakes from day one dropping the ball in to the net against Curzon and claiming that he was fouled allowing glen Taylor to loop a last minute equaliser over him in the spennymoor away game. Rooted to the spot for spennymoors winner at Blackwell meadows. Giving away a needless penalty away at York city also at fault for goals three and four if my memory serves me right. Also dropping two crosses to the feet of Chorley strikers when we were 21 up. I'm not saying he's cost us promotion but we would certainly be challenging for.a play off spot without his errors.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:09 pm

Well, aye, if you replaced him with De Gea then we'd probably be top half.

But to suggest any single player has cost us a playoff berth is madness. We are bang average / gash all over the pitch.

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:20 pm

Geordie Quaker wrote:Well, aye, if you replaced him with De Gea then we'd probably be top half.

But to suggest any single player has cost us a playoff berth is madness. We are bang average / gash all over the pitch.
Far too convenient to scapegoat an individual player.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:41 pm

Harry, I agree with you, for this league Maddison is not one we can blame and I think deserves another chance. The fans got on jamersons back and his confidence went, him then making a lot of mistakes, he goes to Blyth and the few games I have seen him he has played well. We have some fans who forget where we are and the journey we still have to do. Picking on individual points and highlighting them, but forgetting positive areas.
Me I am willing to back the club and wait out the odd bad time as we build for the future, ( and this will take some time as I think it will be several years before we are able to afford the the conference league).
Most of our fans seem to enjoy the day out but a small, vocal, amount think they are top managers and know better, unfortunately I know I could not be that confident.
Whatever the board decide I will live with and just enjoy the journey. Already looking forward to next season.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:12 am

Geordie Quaker wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:09 pm
Well, aye, if you replaced him with De Gea then we'd probably be top half.

Replace him with De Gea and we would have been relegated.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:41 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:59 pm
I can't see how TW acted with undue haste over the goalkeeper situation. We only brought Turner in at the beginning of March so Maddison had plenty of time to iron out the mistakes and show everyone what he was capable of. He's had some good games as at Southport when we got a point largely thanks him but the mistakes kept cropping up and I don't think the defence had a great deal of confidence. His positioning, judgement and ability with crosses have been called into question and that's why TW brought someone else in. Some might say it should have happened sooner.
Not saying he didn't need time out of the team, but are we being hasty calling for him to be binned off completely. Jamieson got canned, he's now on verge of play offs. Has Maddison paid for not being Pears, who now seems the reference point for our keepers.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:50 am

I liked Maddison, great shot stopper imo. I think he's had his confidence shot and hasn't regained in.

Would like to think a fresh start in the summer for him and refocus. Come back in pre-season and be the GK we know he can be.

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:01 am

AndyPark wrote:I liked Maddison, great shot stopper imo. I think he's had his confidence shot and hasn't regained in.

Would like to think a fresh start in the summer for him and refocus. Come back in pre-season and be the GK we know he can be.
Weren’t you stood behind him at York screaming for him to ‘get out of my club’ amongst other things?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:07 am

Beano wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:01 am
AndyPark wrote:I liked Maddison, great shot stopper imo. I think he's had his confidence shot and hasn't regained in.

Weren’t you stood behind him at York screaming for him to ‘get out of my club’ amongst other things?
Most definitely not, I can't comment for the people I was with - But it wasn't me :thumbup:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:11 am

AndyPark wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:50 am
I liked Maddison, great shot stopper imo. I think he's had his confidence shot and hasn't regained in.

Do we know he can be anything other than an error prone goalkeeper who struggles in a number of key areas though? That seems to have been the consensus about him all season.

The old 'great shot-stopper' line - as if anyone can get to any kind of a level as a goalkeeper without being a great shot stopper :lol:
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:46 am

And I believe his contract ends in the summer. Can see it only ending one way whoever is in charge next season.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:50 am

Spyman wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:11 am
AndyPark wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:50 am

Do we know he can be anything other than an error prone goalkeeper who struggles in a number of key areas though? That seems to have been the consensus about him all season.

The old 'great shot-stopper' line - as if anyone can get to any kind of a level as a goalkeeper without being a great shot stopper :lol:
Spyman, I am crediting you for that fantastic use of a signature.

Whatever happened to Darlo Cockney?