Next season

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

D_F_C
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Next season

Post by D_F_C » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:46 am

onewayup wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:23 am
what spen 666 is is a troll on darlingtons website a complete and utter nuisance, irritant know all who apparently knows nothing of any consequence to be other than what he dreams up, block the guy.
Spen actually picked on something I was going to post. Gramps has made various good points, but I didn't understand the point about not referring to last years attendances as info to project the coming seasons budget. Gramps has now clarified that yes you would look at it, but not base things solely on this.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:54 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:53 am
Pretty poor for such a respected member of the legal profession
Looks like I'm disagreeing with you again Gramps. :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:00 pm

Image Image Image

That sound you hear is Spen furiously back-pedalling and running away from the debate having embarrassed himself.
spen666 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:38 am
2.We will have a reduced budget for next season based on the current attendance profile. This is reality.
This is the opening statement from the directors quoted in the recent Netcafe

Shame that the Directors seem to be disagreeing with you
In what way are they disagreeing with me? I've said current attendances play a part - just not the sole factor because attendances fluctuate for varying reasons.

If a club set a budget based solely on last season's attendances, they'd be in trouble. Do you really think there's only one single factor that goes into an attendance projection for a budget calculation? If you do, you're the worst chartered accountant in the history of this planet.

DJ would obviously want to blame the budget cuts on lower attendances because it diverts attention from his mistakes inincluding in the budget forecasts income that had not been received and was not certain to be received this season (the legacy and the money from the 2 BMW cars).
Conspiracy theory with no evidence to support it.

DJ has admitted the two items you mentioned have caused an impact, but unless you know the precise value of them (which you don't), saying they're the main factors and that DJ is now covering it up to divert attention is a stretch. Pretty poor for such a respected member of the legal profession to be cooking up these allegations without a scrap of evidence to support them.
You mean apart from DJ saying this himself at the netcafe... Is DJ making it up as well?
DJ says these two items existed (which I referenced). He doesn't say they were the main factor for our budget cut, which is what you claimed. You also claimed he was downplaying their significance to divert attention. Again, I see no evidence for your conspiracy theory.

If you think a 3% drop in attendances is the cause of significant budget cuts, requiring the sale of several players to cut wages and bring in lump sumps in transfer fees, then you mustbe accepting that DJ got the crowd income massively wrong
Good job I don't think that then. Nor have I said I do. You're resorting to strawman arguments to hide the fact you've been found out.

Anyway, I will leave it to you. If you want to continue with financial issues and reducing budgets then its entirely up to you.

If you were prepared to look objectively at what is being said and done, then lessons can be learned and mistakes avoided in future. It would be far better for everyone if monies raised by fans are used to further the club and help it advance, not to bail it out and keep it afloat

In the words of the Dragon's , "I'm out" on this debate
Spen running away from the debate is the surefire way we know he's A) wrong and B) beaten.

First he denied the club allocated budgets based on attendance projections. Then goes on to quote the netcafe where DJ discusses precisely that.

He says attendance projection are based solely on last year's attendances, when we know they are not.

He says the two items (legacy and the car sales) were the main reason for our budget cut, and that DJ was covering up their extent to hide his mistakes. Then provided no evidence to support this and folded at the first sign of questioning.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:19 pm

Spyman wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:39 am

I don't recall the figures, but are we saying that Wright has had more to spend this season than was laid out last summer?

If so, the figure that was given once the BTB was raised was said to be enough to challenge for the play-offs. Both TW and DJ stated this.

While there are many factors that can lead to underperformance, are we actually saying that the total budget this season has ended up being better than a 'challenge for playoffs' budget? If that's the case (I may have misunderstood) then this season's performance is horrific!
Not quite. None of us knew the extent of the budget until the netcafe.

It was said at the start of the season it was competitive, although none of us knew if that was just spin/PR to generate excitement (it's hardly good for generating excitement if you say you're not expecting much).

I think because we reduced the budget last season, then cut it again this season, we assumed TW was working with limited resources. Actually it turns out the budget is at least comparable to MG's 2016/17 budget. DJ said this season the playing budget was 330k - in 2016/17 it was 245k (or just over 330k when you included management costs etc). I don't know if this year's 330k includes management costs.

Of course budget isn't the only factor in success. In 16/17 we had momentum from two straight promotions, and MG had a squad which he'd constructed over a couple of years.

In short, the Netcafe has confirmed Wright did indeed have a competitive budget. Without knowing other clubs' budgets, it's nevertheless reasonable to think 330K is competitive for a minimum of top 10, which we haven't got near this time around.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:59 pm

Wright only started to get a bit better results when he eventually realised that he needed loan players to supplement the team if he had started the season with a few of them things MIGHT have been different

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:01 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Wright only started to get a bit better results when he eventually realised that he needed loan players to supplement the team if he had started the season with a few of them things MIGHT have been different
MIGHT is the word

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:20 pm

Where’s Jazz at? He’d sort Spen out :lol:

Rescind the ban!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:47 pm

Budget must be known soon as it’s getting to that time of year when you tell players whether they are wanted or not.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:49 pm

When TW joined in Oct 2017 what was the contract length announced, can anyone recall?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:39 pm

That's the 330,000 dollar question

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:57 am

Interesting interview with AW on the official site. Defends the performance of the team during the season, thinks that it's 'fine margins' separating us from success and failure. Said the lads all know their roles '110%' before they go on the pitch, saying they're a great bunch of lads and that Tommy has them brilliantly prepared and drilled. His final point is to say that he wants a strong end to the season before 'Hopefully' planning for next season. That would suggest no decision had been made yet and that they're under review.

Here it is

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/whitey- ... n-and-lost

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:15 am

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:20 pm
Where’s Jazz at? He’d sort Spen out :lol:

Rescind the ban!

I'm pretty sure that "Jazz" now calls himself "DarloOnTheUp" - seen recently writing in length about democracy and Brexit on the Off Topic Forum.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:01 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:19 pm
In short, the Netcafe has confirmed Wright did indeed have a competitive budget. Without knowing other clubs' budgets, it's nevertheless reasonable to think 330K is competitive for a minimum of top 10, which we haven't got near this time around.
I have to agree with this. The budget is higher than I estimated it to be, by quite some distance as well. 330k in a part time, piss pot. regional league should see us comfortably at the right end of the table.

In fact, it is an outrage that we've only just avoided relegation.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:03 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:57 am
Interesting interview with AW on the official site. Defends the performance of the team during the season, thinks that it's 'fine margins' separating us from success and failure. Said the lads all know their roles '110%' before they go on the pitch, saying they're a great bunch of lads and that Tommy has them brilliantly prepared and drilled. His final point is to say that he wants a strong end to the season before 'Hopefully' planning for next season. That would suggest no decision had been made yet and that they're under review.

Here it is

Jesus Christ, he's fucking deluded if he really thinks that.

If so, home town boy Alan White is not part of the solution, he's part of the problem.

Jesus.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:06 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:03 am
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:57 am

Here it is

Jesus Christ, he's fucking deluded if he really thinks that.

If so, home town boy Alan White is not part of the solution, he's part of the problem.

Jesus.
Agreed.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:12 pm

I’ve just had a listen to this and the last three minutes of it are somewhat ridiculous.

Has Alan been looking at the league table upside down?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:16 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:19 pm

I think because we reduced the budget last season, then cut it again this season, we assumed TW was working with limited resources. Actually it turns out the budget is at least comparable to MG's 2016/17 budget. DJ said this season the playing budget was 330k - in 2016/17 it was 245k (or just over 330k when you included management costs etc). I don't know if this year's 330k includes management costs.
Gray's budget for 17/18 was increased and it was said (partly due to 40k BTB, and partly due to the increase in admission from £12 to £14) to have been a 334k playing budget - then with his extensive blue coated entourage on top of that. So well over 400k total, which was ridiculous.

One of the reasons why Gray got so much stick from supporters after leaving, was because many felt he'd pressured us into giving more and more money to the budget, beyond the point which we could afford.

The one question that needs answering for me is this - is TW's 330k playing budget including management, or is it net of it? If it includes management then it's still significantly lower than the playing budget which Gray finally had (although still competitive, as you'd imagine at least 250k, maybe a smidge more still left for players).

But if it doesn't include management and is just playing budget only, then it opens a can of worms, which would be...

1 How come the club gave a budget equally as good as Gray's last budget after claiming that it was unsustainable! Why weren't lessons learned? Why should we believe lessons have been learned going forwards when we are told that next season we will have a more cautious approach re- budgets? They said that this pre season and as usual we had the mid season cash call.

2 How the hell did TW manage to blow that kind of money on such a SMALL squad, so small in fact that we went weeks with a bench entirely made up of 16 and 17 year olds, because we had 4 or 5 injuries?

We can say what we like about Gray (and damn it, I've said plenty) but although he had an unaffordable budget, at least we had plenty of players to show for it!

What did we get with Tommy's (now known to be unaffordable) budget this season? A tiny squad full of pea hearted midgets and misfits. Add on top of that his complete inability to get them to put any sort of run of results together, and you have to ask...

3 How is he still in a job?

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:57 pm

I’m by no means sticking up for anyone but if we’re comparing budgets then you have to surely include the players Wright has sold?

He has a pretty big transfer surplus.

Not saying that has a relevance to whether he’s the right man for the job but it is surely relevant if we’re comparing with Gray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:47 pm

Mourinho could show us exactly how special he really is.....

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:52 pm

He's still in the job because you ghost aren't on the board thanks,

grytters

Post by grytters » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:48 am

Yackley_Quaker wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:27 am
Looking at the National League table the 4 teams coming down are all south of London which means the FA are going to have to move two teams across from National League South. Looking at the league I can see us getting Oxford City and Gloucester (unless they get relegated) . Not what you'd class as particularly northern !
Now confirmed it's Maidstone, Aldershot, Brainless, and Havant in the bottom four.

So some shuffling inevitable for NLN.

(We might end up with one or two of the Essex clubs.)
Bring Back the Quarters

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:57 am

With a trip to Kettering in there after their promotion as well.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:18 pm

Never expected aldershot to go down and will be sad to see them go. Good riddence to braintree and hope they dont end up in the nln. Im certain kettering would be placed in the nln but is there ground up to scratch?
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:55 pm

Will be reacquainting ourselves with Syers and Cartman. Farsley have won the NPL.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:44 pm

biccynana wrote:Will be reacquainting ourselves with Syers and Cartman. Farsley have won the NPL.
Good players both of them. Good for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:51 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:44 pm
biccynana wrote:Will be reacquainting ourselves with Syers and Cartman. Farsley have won the NPL.
Good players both of them. Good for them
Indeed. Be interesting to see how they do in NLN.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:22 pm

biccynana wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:55 pm
Will be reacquainting ourselves with Syers and Cartman. Farsley have won the NPL.
I'm really pleased for Farsley, a localish club that is easy to get too and they have prevented South Shields from automatic promotion.