Gateshead

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Gateshead

Post by AndyPark » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:35 am

Worrying times ahead for those up the road from us.

- Players threatening to go on strike.
- Owner and his "financial advisor" refusing to release wages of staff/management and players.
- Possible new owner pulls out of the running to take over.
- Kicked out of the ground, only allowed on matchdays.
- Squad of 15/16.

Vodka_Vic

Re: Gateshead

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:37 am

I thought a takeover was imminent though Andy?

coles

Post by coles » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:38 am

AndyPark wrote:Worrying times ahead for those up the road from us.

- Players threatening to go on strike.
- Owner and his "financial advisor" refusing to release wages of staff/management and players.
- Possible new owner pulls out of the running to take over.
- Kicked out of the ground, only allowed on matchdays.
- Squad of 15/16.
Yep agreed a real worry so many similarities with ourselves in 2012. Makes you reflect on how far we have come. We might be stuck in this league for a while but it’s our club.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:39 am

all depressingly familiar.

another club perhaps about to find it's own place in the footballing hierarchy

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:54 am

I’d be more than happy to take their manager and assistant manger if they became available.....

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:55 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:37 am
Pulled out within the last hour.

Players have said if the the club hadn't been sold by 1pm, they are going on strike.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:51 pm

It's sad news, but not unexpected given their ground and level of support. Hopefully they'll come through these dark times.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:10 pm

I wonder if Boro should recall their goal keeper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:19 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:55 am
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:37 am
Pulled out within the last hour.

Players have said if the the club hadn't been sold by 1pm, they are going on strike.
Ah, that's a blow. sudden and sad developments. Time to reflect where we were just a few years ago.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:37 pm

A good moment to reflect on our thirst for an investor to solve all of our problems.

That's not me saying I wouldn't be interested but they would have to be the biggest white knight ever and I can't see that happening.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:02 pm

An image of George Reynolds dressed up in full on knights clothing ( armour/shield/sword/horse/etc) momentarily popped into my head.

Shudder.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:08 pm

All gold plated, of course.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:18 pm

Not really down to lack of support or the stadium the real owner who is pretending to be the financial advisor is doing things out of spite, the potential owner pulled out because he did not get a exclusivity agreement signed to him and said he was a horror to deal with basically, which another potential buyer also said. He has nothing to gain holding up the sale and one thing about the players and management they are a tight unit hence the strike. Budget cuts were big and the budget maybe more reflective of the clubs crowds but team spirit and a good dressing room thanks to ben clark and his staff has got them through. They want to play for the club and are mostly local lads young and eager and the protest is to try and get the owners to do the right thing. The owner on paper has told bbc radio newcastle he will pay outstanding wages and bills tomorrow, mind they were supposed to be sorted yesterday and monday. Make no mistake these horrid c**** make george reynolds looks like a nice bloke and a good chairman
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:44 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:18 pm
Not really down to lack of support or the stadium the real owner who is pretending to be the financial advisor is doing things out of spite, the potential owner pulled out because he did not get a exclusivity agreement signed to him and said he was a horror to deal with basically, which another potential buyer also said. He has nothing to gain holding up the sale and one thing about the players and management they are a tight unit hence the strike. Budget cuts were big and the budget maybe more reflective of the clubs crowds but team spirit and a good dressing room thanks to ben clark and his staff has got them through. They want to play for the club and are mostly local lads young and eager and the protest is to try and get the owners to do the right thing. The owner on paper has told bbc radio newcastle he will pay outstanding wages and bills tomorrow, mind they were supposed to be sorted yesterday and monday. Make no mistake these horrid c**** make george reynolds looks like a nice bloke and a good chairman
Hope Gateshead pull through. No club should go to the wall. Especially based on the actions of spiteful individuals who don't keep their promises (sound familiar?). But the truth is Gateshead are in this situation because they spend more than they earn, they have done consistently during their time as a full time club in the conference national. What you're really asking for is for someone to come in and plug the gap between what you want and what you can afford.

Doing a basic tot up (on what are probably fairly kind figures).

Average crowds last season: 853
Average cost of entry: £12
Ticket sale revenue: £235,428
Other match day revenue: £40,000
Commercial: £75,000
TV: £15,000.
That would give you a turnover of £365,482

Basic costs: (16 players x £20k per annum) £320,000
Management: (3 staff x 20k per annum) £60,000
Rent: £25,000
Match day expenses: £15,000
Total costs: £420,000

That would have you running at a loss of £60,000 and doesn't really consider half the costs to the business, VAT, NI tax etc.

Gateshead, Steve Watson, Micky Cummins, Ben Clarke and Ian Watson, along with all the squad have done a really good job at Gateshead this season. No doubt the budget has been cut and they are punching above their weight in regards to where their budget fits in the league. But you're also punching above what you can afford to pay based on your income. And while you do that you will always be at the mercy of the charity or the person in charge of the club. Begging for new investment is a treatment but not a cure to the underlying problem.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:31 pm

A very sad situation for gateshead ,we at darlington can sympathize with after we have been through the mill with different ownership all pulling the plug at various times,
My advice is to formulate a package with the fans and take control of your own destiny,
Try to get a fans consortium and where and how you can save your club.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:05 pm

Lets be honest, their natural position is in the Evostik league.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:17 pm

Quaker85 wrote:Lets be honest, their natural position is in the Evostik league.

And i suppose you think Darlington’s natural position, league 2?
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad

Gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:19 pm

onewayup wrote:A very sad situation for gateshead ,we at darlington can sympathize with after we have been through the mill with different ownership all pulling the plug at various times,
My advice is to formulate a package with the fans and take control of your own destiny,
Try to get a fans consortium and where and how you can save your club.
Im glad you do sympathise as some dont after apparently a minority of idiots flashed notes at the darlington fans a few years ago during hard times, every club has idiots following them. The supporters club have actually been reborn and been very active in takeover and who knows long term but at the moment they neither have numbers nor financial clout to rescue club

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:23 pm

JE93 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
Hope Gateshead pull through. No club should go to the wall. Especially based on the actions of spiteful individuals who don't keep their promises (sound familiar?). But the truth is Gateshead are in this situation because they spend more than they earn, they have done consistently during their time as a full time club in the conference national. What you're really asking for is for someone to come in and plug the gap between what you want and what you can afford.

That would have you running at a loss of £60,000 and doesn't really consider half the costs to the business, VAT, NI tax etc.

Gateshead, Steve Watson, Micky Cummins, Ben Clarke and Ian Watson, along with all the squad have done a really good job at Gateshead this season. No doubt the budget has been cut and they are punching above their weight in regards to where their budget fits in the league. But you're also punching above what you can afford to pay based on your income. And while you do that you will always be at the mercy of the charity or the person in charge of the club. Begging for new investment is a treatment but not a cure to the underlying problem.
Would not surprise me if the gateshead budget was similar to darlingtons. It was the last owners who are alot to blame, maybe they should have economised a bit more instead of a boom and bust with alot of money wasted on mercenaries. As for spiteful owners been auckward i take it you mean reynolds?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:42 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:08 pm
All gold plated, of course.
Years ago when the Arena was half built I sort of sneaked in to look round but got collared by a security guard and was taken to see Mr George Reynolds himself, in his on site office. It was a bit nerve wracking but he jumped up and offered to take me and my companion on a personal guided tour around the stadium. During one of his many stops to “chat” I couldn’t help but notice an enormous gold ring, which resembled a Walnut Whip, and was nearly the size of a Walnut Whip.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:46 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:23 pm
JE93 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:

Would not surprise me if the gateshead budget was similar to darlingtons. It was the last owners who are alot to blame, maybe they should have economised a bit more instead of a boom and bust with alot of money wasted on mercenaries. As for spiteful owners been auckward i take it you mean reynolds?

I reckon he means Singh.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:49 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:Lets be honest, their natural position is in the Evostik league.

And i suppose you think Darlington’s natural position, league 2?
I knew that was coming. No this clubs natural position is where we are now.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:50 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
JE93 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:

I reckon he means Singh.
And to think Singh is back in football, his ban cant have been for that long

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:04 pm

His ban? ?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

divas

Post by divas » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:06 pm

Looks like it’s back on shock horror after a good old bit of brinkmanship. Exclusivity agreement has apparently been sent

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:26 pm

divas wrote:Looks like it’s back on shock horror after a good old bit of brinkmanship. Exclusivity agreement has apparently been sent
Shock horror how?

divas

Post by divas » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:50 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:26 pm
divas wrote:Looks like it’s back on shock horror after a good old bit of brinkmanship. Exclusivity agreement has apparently been sent
Shock horror how?
Because I’ve followed enough of these things over the years to know an interested party doesn’t walk away completely at the first opportunity - it’s simple business brinksmanship and in this case it looks as though it’s had the desired effect for now.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:11 am

Apparently the bloke who is interested in taking over, formerly owned Rochdale. Wonder what the Dale fans think of him?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:27 am

shildonlad wrote:
JE93 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:

As later posters have said. My comments were aimed at Mr Singh, who Hartlepool fans are more than welcome to. He stuck around trying to barter more money out of future transfer clauses and what not and refused to sign over the golden share to the fans. When he runs out of money this time pools will once again be left in the lurch looking for someone to fill the gap between what they want and what they can afford, will be even tougher for them next season once parachute payments stop.

I watched the Gateshead fans forum from earlier in the season to get some more context for your situation. You might not be wrong that we has similar budgets at the start of the season. Think the old GM said Richard Bennett set the budget at £250k. Which is impossible to run a professional football team on. But the reason you're under a transfer embargo was that by the start of December you were on track to exceed your budget (only 4 months through the season with 4 months left to go) and your turnover was behind expectations.

I get your fans frustrations with the Bennett's. But in truth they were simply trying to get out while they still had some money left. They lost £2.5m in three seasons funding a full time football club, how many Gateshead fans would put that amount of money into a venture which will just cost more and more. Didn't they even come back part way through the season to offer shirt sponsorship and put some money into the club? They aren't the villains in this situation.

It's all well and good saying we had similar budgets, but on crowds higher than yours we couldn't sustain ours and we're not a full time team. So the question remains what do Gateshead fans want? A sustainable football team which probably can't compete at the current level you are? Or do you want to keep chasing the FL dream, in which case expect this situation to recur every 2,3,4,5 or however long years when the person pumping the money in realises they either can't afford to or don't want to anymore.

shildonlad

Gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:42 am

JE93 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
JE93 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:

As later posters have said. My comments were aimed at Mr Singh, who Hartlepool fans are more than welcome to. He stuck around trying to barter more money out of future transfer clauses and what not and refused to sign over the golden share to the fans. When he runs out of money this time pools will once again be left in the lurch looking for someone to fill the gap between what they want and what they can afford, will be even tougher for them next season once parachute payments stop.

I watched the Gateshead fans forum from earlier in the season to get some more context for your situation. You might not be wrong that we has similar budgets at the start of the season. Think the old GM said Richard Bennett set the budget at £250k. Which is impossible to run a professional football team on. But the reason you're under a transfer embargo was that by the start of December you were on track to exceed your budget (only 4 months through the season with 4 months left to go) and your turnover was behind expectations.

I get your fans frustrations with the Bennett's. But in truth they were simply trying to get out while they still had some money left. They lost £2.5m in three seasons funding a full time football club, how many Gateshead fans would put that amount of money into a venture which will just cost more and more. Didn't they even come back part way through the season to offer shirt sponsorship and put some money into the club? They aren't the villains in this situation.

It's all well and good saying we had similar budgets, but on crowds higher than yours we couldn't sustain ours and we're not a full time team. So the question remains what do Gateshead fans want? A sustainable football team which probably can't compete at the current level you are? Or do you want to keep chasing the FL dream, in which case expect this situation to recur every 2,3,4,5 or however long years when the person pumping the money in realises they either can't afford to or don't want to anymore.
I would be happy with the current setup, a squad made up of players that all live in the region. Also a young manager instead of these old hasbeen from miles away on the merry-go round. I would happy for a team that just keeps going in the conference instead of what the bennots did and hoying way too much at it in the hope of making the football league. There budget was way too low for this season and dont blame them for wanting out but had they not hoyed so much money in the early days at it they could have hung around longer. They said they wanted to leave the club in good hands, they clearly never used google search to find out about the wanker cala and his pals.