Darlington V Stockport

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

spen666
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Stockport

Post by spen666 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:51 pm

feethamslad wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:01 pm
After todays game this is the current Form table over the past 5 matches - makes sobering reading (though may be worse of you ae a Spennymoor fan):

1. Altrincham 5 4 1 0 14:2 13
2. Brackley Town 5 4 1 0 9:2 13
3. Stockport 5 4 0 1 8:3 12
4. Chorley 5 3 2 0 9:1 11
5. Alfreton 5 3 2 0 7:3 11
6. Hereford 5 3 1 1 9:6 10
7. Bradford PA 5 2 2 1 8:5 8
8. AFC Telford 5 2 2 1 9:8 8
9. Chester 5 2 2 1 4:5 8
10. Boston Utd 5 2 1 2 10:10 7
11. Curzon As 5 2 1 2 7:8 7
12. Leamington 5 2 1 2 4:6 7
13. York 5 1 3 1 7:7 6
14. Kidderminster 5 2 0 3 8:10 6
15. Blyth 5 1 2 2 6:7 5
16. FC United 5 1 2 2 9:13 5
17. Guiseley 5 1 1 3 2:4 4
18. Southport 5 0 3 2 5:7 3
19. Nuneaton 5 1 0 4 7:10 3
20. Darlington 5 1 0 4 5:11 3
21. Spennymoor 5 0 2 3 3:8 2
22. Ashton Utd 5 0 0 5 1:10 0
On today's performance, Spennymoor would be lucky to avoid relegation in the Darlington & District Sunday Morning League Division 3.

They were dreadful. Hereford should have won by more to be honest

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:58 pm

I tell you what was embarrassing is US making a substitution after 92.1 mins of injury time of 3 mins added on... And dont get me started about trots getting sent off for a 2nd yellow thick as mince and getting a handshake from Tommy as he left the pitch.. I'd fine the bloke absolutely appalling

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:I tell you what was embarrassing is US making a substitution after 92.1 mins of injury time of 3 mins added on... And dont get me started about trots getting sent off for a 2nd yellow thick as mince and getting a handshake from Tommy as he left the pitch.. I'd fine the bloke absolutely appalling

Thought trotman was unlucky, I felt their player had his arms all over ainge a few seconds before, and also there was little parity when the ref didnt book their player for a similar offence later.

Result apart I came away feeling ok about the game tbh

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:01 am

Was trotman's sending off fair, as he doesn't normally get bookings?

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:43 am

I am with Shawry, I thought there player had fouled ours just before Trots pulled him back but it was a silly mistake by him after being booked for kicking the ball a short distance away to waste a bit of time (although even that booking seemed harsh when there player booted the ball away nearly the length of the pitch and ref never said a word to him).

On the the other point on late sub, may be we need to buy TW a new watch, or it could have been astute to get an extra 30 seconds on the clock🤔 as we were getting back in the game in the last 10 mins with Saunders shooting at the keeper in a 1 on 1, and being given off side when he raced through on a lovely through ball, when to me he looked a yard on side, (my eye sight is not the best), but linesman was not level with play.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:47 am

For those who were there,was Osagi really that bad?

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:06 am

He was not good, looked a little lost, would need a good bit more time on the training ground in my opinion. His family were there as well, and they left when he went off.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:17 am

50 years wrote:He was not good, looked a little lost, would need a good bit more time on the training ground in my opinion. His family were there as well, and they left when he went off.
Looks like another poor decision to play him when obviously not ready.Early days we know but seems a gamble to bring the lad all this way without improving us.And why bring the young CF from Huddersfield on with 1 minute to play and 2-0 down.
Really cannot fathom out the thinking from TW at times ...never looked forward to an end of the season as this one tbh.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:24 am

Maybe that’s why he never brought any subs on against Chester, what he has available clearly aren’t good enough.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:37 am

divas wrote:Maybe that’s why he never brought any subs on against Chester, what he has available clearly aren’t good enough.
Have to disagree there Divas.The young LB from Huddersfield had a good game yesterday allowing Elliott to revert back to midfield .Listening to DFR they both played well, we had shape and were the better side until the sending off.That was my point after the Chester game as to why sign a natural LB and not give him a go and play Tom Elliott ( who I like as a midfielder) out of position at LB.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:56 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
divas wrote:Maybe that’s why he never brought any subs on against Chester, what he has available clearly aren’t good enough.
Have to disagree there Divas.The young LB from Huddersfield had a good game yesterday allowing Elliott to revert back to midfield .Listening to DFR they both played well, we had shape and were the better side until the sending off.That was my point after the Chester game as to why sign a natural LB and not give him a go and play Tom Elliott ( who I like as a midfielder) out of position at LB.

We were given a reason for Elliott playing left back in the Netcafe, not that we have to agree it, it showed it wasn't just a scatter gun selection process.

It was a difficult game for the new lad to come on, it exposed his lack of games.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:27 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:37 am

Fair point, the young LB does look decent but not a game changing sub to bring on with 20 left at 1 behind even if it did allow Elliott to go into CM.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:35 am

divas wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:27 am
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:37 am

Fair point, the young LB does look decent. Should have stated against Chester with Elliott in midfield but he obviously preferred to get Holness in ahead of him.
Young left back looks ok but after seeing him for about 115mins that’s not a lot to go on. He made a few mistakes yesterday as you would expect for a lad learning his trade at this level, however he also done some decent things. He struggled looking for a pass on occasions as we don’t have an out ball (everyone in our team struggles with it). In a decent team he would be a reasonable lad to throw in I think.

As mentioned for Chester game they were a physical team as you would expect and to play a young lad against a very good winger in McKenna who has caused us serious issues v Curzon & BPA then I can see why Wright would go with the more experience of Elliott.

As I said at the time I had no issue with Wright’s selection and I don’t believe the lads on the bench would make us any stronger, however he should have made a change anyhow on Wed night even just to mix it up.

Thanks to the other teams who are happily pushing themselves faster to relegation than we can.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:41 am

It's probably nothing, but the lack of post match reaction makes me wonder if something has happened backstage

Anyway, a wholly expected defeat yesterday, but thankfully other results went our way, so we should be safe now. Roll on the end of the season.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:58 am

It's one of the saddest things about our club at present that virtually every fan you talk to says the same: "The end of this season can't come quick enough."

Instead of enjoying the club that we all fund and looking forward to games, home and away, it's now more like going through the motions and a chore. And lots are choosing not to put themselves through that.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:18 am

al_quaker wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:41 am
It's probably nothing, but the lack of post match reaction makes me wonder if something has happened backstage

Anyway, a wholly expected defeat yesterday, but thankfully other results went our way, so we should be safe now. Roll on the end of the season.
I thought the same, but like you say its probably nothing.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:29 am

Yeah, scratch that, reaction on the echo site now.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:35 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:58 am
It's one of the saddest things about our club at present that virtually every fan you talk to says the same: "The end of this season can't come quick enough."

Instead of enjoying the club that we all fund and looking forward to games, home and away, it's now more like going through the motions and a chore. And lots are choosing not to put themselves through that.
It's been a long slog of a season, with very little sustained enjoyment. The pre-season optimism didn't last long once the season started, and it's been pretty crap since then. I just hope there's something over the summer to get people excited about next season
tdk1 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:29 am
Yeah, scratch that, reaction on the echo site now.

Yep - "we're a good team" :roll:

divas

Post by divas » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:13 am

Crazy statement. A team that can play nice football in short spells is not a good team. A good team is a team that can grind out points on a regular basis regardless. There is so many basic fundamental issues and he thinks we’re only not far away.

If I was one of the board listening to that and a decision hadn’t already been made I’d certainly be making it now.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:19 am

Listen I think we dont have a bad team But we are NOT going to progress next season with this group of lads.. Kneeshaw is not the answer, Its going to be a tough pre season trying to get some decent players in for little money that's why we need a good knowledge of local leagues manager.. I've reluctantly not said anything about TW And AW but sadly after yesterday (Not the performance) But there tactical nouse really baffled me to bring a lad on for 20 mins then take him off again for me it was a disgrace and probably has knocked the lads confidence... What I'd like to see is management live the 90mins and get involved shout scream yesterday there were nothing

divas

Post by divas » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:20 am

Oh god please don’t start with managers screaming and shouting from the sidelines being a qualifier for a good manager

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:22 am

50 years wrote:I am with Shawry, I thought there player had fouled ours just before Trots pulled him back but it was a silly mistake by him after being booked for kicking the ball a short distance away to waste a bit of time (although even that booking seemed harsh when there player booted the ball away nearly the length of the pitch and ref never said a word to him).

On the the other point on late sub, may be we need to buy TW a new watch, or it could have been astute to get an extra 30 seconds on the clock🤔 as we were getting back in the game in the last 10 mins with Saunders shooting at the keeper in a 1 on 1, and being given off side when he raced through on a lovely through ball, when to me he looked a yard on side, (my eye sight is not the best), but linesman was not level with play.
Rose tinted glasses m8 .As a player you kick the ball away get a needless booking and then give the ref a decision to make it's very poor you let the team down, I'm not saying he cost us BUT they weren't great and we didnt play that bad but poor management and player Decisions are costing us week in week out something has to give.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:32 am

The clear difference between the end of last season and this is the almighty boost that having a reliable goalscorer in your team can make. Had we been able to keep Nelson until the end of the season we would probably be finishing on a high and well away from the drop zone. We badly need someone to put on their shooting boots next weekend and put this ramshackled season to bed.

Whatever next season brings there has to be a greater degree of synergy between the club's finances and the team. We approached this season with a much inflated opinion of our worth based on the limited successes of the last couple of months of that season. We began by backing that high ambition with too much of our limited resources being spent too early and because we over-estimated what was deliverable, are finishing with a whimper and a chastening feeling of having been cheated out of some sort of birthright to be at the top end of any division we play in. Perhaps having a much more realistic view of where we can reach for may allow us to start quietly and grow where the finances will allow us to go, within budget, rather than the rollercoaster we have been on this year. And maybe we will have to suck up the unpalatable fact that hanging on in here is the best we can hope for in the immediate future.
Last edited by en passant on Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:40 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
50 years wrote:I am with Shawry, I thought there player had fouled ours just before Trots pulled him back but it was a silly mistake by him after being booked for kicking the ball a short distance away to waste a bit of time (although even that booking seemed harsh when there player booted the ball away nearly the length of the pitch and ref never said a word to him).

On the the other point on late sub, may be we need to buy TW a new watch, or it could have been astute to get an extra 30 seconds on the clockImage as we were getting back in the game in the last 10 mins with Saunders shooting at the keeper in a 1 on 1, and being given off side when he raced through on a lovely through ball, when to me he looked a yard on side, (my eye sight is not the best), but linesman was not level with play.
Rose tinted glasses m8 .As a player you kick the ball away get a needless booking and then give the ref a decision to make it's very poor you let the team down, I'm not saying he cost us BUT they weren't great and we didnt play that bad but poor management and player Decisions are costing us week in week out something has to give.

Not really rose tinted, I get that they are bookable offences, but the foul on ainge just before the sending off was no better than trotmans, yet there was no whistle. Consistency is the key, and the ref was poor in that respect.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:42 am

You forgot to mention the obvious impact that TW's very poor use of the budget and his poor organisation, motivation, leadership and tactics had in this awful season.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:44 am

divas wrote:Oh god please don’t start with managers screaming and shouting from the sidelines being a qualifier for a good manager
Good managers have to be "Darlo through and through" as well.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:04 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:42 am
You forgot to mention the obvious impact that TW's very poor use of the budget and his poor organisation, motivation, leadership and tactics had in this awful season.
This this this.

TW was supplied with a top-half budget at the beginning of the season in-line with realistic projected crowds & B2B. Crowds tailed off because of the awful displays at the beginning of the season & dismal cup showing (Curzon Ashton, Alfreton, Altrincham, BPA etc) and this led to a budget cut. This was down to poor recruitment and leadership. Wright HAS to carry the can for this. The Board & fans gave him every chance of being succesful by giving him a competitive budget both when he was first appointed in October 17’ and over pre-season 18’.

We need a change in the summer, a new manager that can galvanise the fan-base along with a lauch of the B2B campaign to co-incide with this. We need to look at off-loading the dead-wood which will be under contract and look at starting off on a clean slate.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:19 pm

You are right Harry I do have rose tinted glasses at times😉

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:45 pm

Well, my voice has well and truly gone from yesterday.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:26 pm

I think a lot of the damage to support for the club and income set in during the earlier part of the season when we won just 2 out of 12 League and Cup games at BM. Up until the end of October TM had a goalscorer on the books in Reece Styche along with all of his summer signings and Syers (although he chose not to use him very much). There was no momentum and enthusiasm built up and the home results and performances over an extended period was very damaging during a period when TW could call on what he felt was a strong squad that he had put together.