FANS NETCAFE -this Friday evening.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Emdubya
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FANS NETCAFE -this Friday evening.

Post by Emdubya » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:59 pm

onewayup wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:15 pm
I would like to here what Tommy has already taken from this season which will give us and him a better positive spin on next season should he still be in the managers chair, as I have said I don't hold him responsible for all that has happened, yes he is the manager, he had player's sold to balance the books, there was an horrific injury, plus other injuries and he was left scrabbling around to fill the squad out, not an ideal situation.
I would not have liked to be in Tommy's shoes, the only criticism I have is his lack of passion and desire on match days, and his poor early signings, Tommy is a really good bloke on a personal level, if it was me in his position on a match day I would let the players know how I was feeling, I would be screaming at them and bouncing off the dugout to get them to play as they are asked to with confidence and speedy interpassing.
What the actual fuck man!!.How much worse do things have to get before it sinks in that Wright has been a monumental failure .You go on about players being sold but if the tosser had actually got some performances out of the dross he brought in and actually won a few more games and got some decent crowds in they wouldn’t have been sold .
He can’t go soon enough.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:24 pm

Does anyone know if Netcafe is actually live looking at the answers majority are from Chris Stockdale is DJ and JW there as well?

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:34 pm

Yes it’s live. You can submit a question by mailing media@darlingtonfc.org

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:44 pm

Seems most of the 'big' issues - like Wrights contract situation, is being sidestepped. I know how long Solkskar's ( you know who I mean) contract is, but not the manager of the club I have a share in and help, in a very small way, to finance.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:56 pm

Alfie wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:44 pm
Seems most of the 'big' issues - like Wrights contract situation, is being sidestepped. I know how long Solkskar's ( you know who I mean) contract is, but not the manager of the club I have a share in and help, in a very small way, to finance.
Let's be honest, at this moment in time the club want to be as a positive as possible and try to pull the manager & players together to get us over the line.

They were never going to say TW contract is up at the end of the season, or he has one more season or we just want rid. 6 games left, we need some points and then the board have a decision to make and advise one way or another, I think we can give them that and just hope we have enough to stay up.

I will support the team for now, the management I have given up on - the end of the season is all I can think of for now.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:56 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:24 pm
Does anyone know if Netcafe is actually live looking at the answers majority are from Chris Stockdale is DJ and JW there as well?
"Tommy is unable to participate in tonight’s netcafe, so then he can fully focus on tomorrow afternoon’s important game at Stockport."

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:16 pm

What pies are being sold next season?
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:20 pm

I don’t understand the secrecy around the contractual status of the management team.

I’m not sure what purpose it serves to keep it hidden as it is just building frustration on several fronts.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:26 pm

Beano wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:20 pm
I don’t understand the secrecy around the contractual status of the management team.

I’m not sure what purpose it serves to keep it hidden as it is just building frustration on several fronts.
It could serve the purpose of avoiding the board the embarrassment of admiting that they chose to extend his contract.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:30 pm

If Tommy is in charge next season he is a very lucky man If so I suspect it is the academy that has saved him.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:34 pm

darlobaz791 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:34 pm
Yes it’s live. You can submit a question by mailing media@darlingtonfc.org
I emailed Ray and he indicated DJ was there early on but had to leave so Chris answering majority of questions. I reckon answers are worked on during the week so not really live that’s why I think a fans forum is more real. I asked a question about ownership for DJ/JW to answer and it wasn’t so guess they weren’t there. Some good answers though and glad to hear our rent at BM is £34k not the £60K I’ve heard quoted before.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:38 pm

This should be public knowledge as us fans/owners have to make a decision on whether to renew a season ticket or not and him being here will put a few off . Or a new manager might give people an incentive whoever it may be

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:02 pm

It seemed strange to be getting TW doing a netcafe when we have an away game the next day. Normally a manager would be involved a netcafe the day before a home game.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:12 pm

Anyone got a link? I can only find the December one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:15 pm

Reading between the lines I'd be very surprised if Tommy is still here next year. Open criticism of recruitment and the board fully aware of the feelings about this season.

Trike1

Post by Trike1 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:27 pm

disgusted at the 140k that DRFC gain from us on top of rent. 20% of boards advertising really no wonder we are in a mess financially. that money wouuld do wonders for our club and give us stability

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:35 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:02 pm
It seemed strange to be getting TW doing a netcafe when we have an away game the next day.
Which is why he wasn't there.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:42 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:26 pm
Beano wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:20 pm

It could serve the purpose of avoiding the board the embarrassment of admiting that they chose to extend his contract.

A bit of patience and trust among fans is in order here rather than speculating and adding another layer of conspiracy theory into the equation. At this moment it would be extremely unprofessional, unfair and quite simply wrong to spell out what may happen at the end of the season. I've never been TW's biggest fan but I think he deserves to be treated properly and with respect and not have his immediate future discussed in a netcafe.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:44 pm

Read through the netcafe stuff on the train. Some good answers particularly about the amount of money the rugby club are extracting! They must be laughing thier funny shaped balls off!

However the political answers about tw contract is piss boiling. I dont want to know his home adress, wage, national insurance number and sort code. I want to know if we can get shot of the lummox at the end of the season or not!

Just flamming tell us!

PS some of the questions asked were brain meltingly stupid!

PPS seeing as tw bottled answering fans questions I hope he has this evening worked out a tactical masterplan to deliver 3 points tomorrow. I bet he hasn't.........

divas

Post by divas » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:45 pm

Trike1 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:27 pm
disgusted at the 140k that DRFC gain from us on top of rent. 20% of boards advertising really no wonder we are in a mess financially. that money wouuld do wonders for our club and give us stability
£140k is revenue not profit, £100K of that revenue will have some serious costs associated to it

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:54 pm

divas wrote:
Trike1 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:27 pm
£140k is revenue not profit, £100K of that revenue will have some serious costs associated to it
Break it down then Divas see what they are fleecing us for

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:19 pm

I don’t know what their overheads are as a result of the revenue they’re generating so it’s difficult to say.

In terms of direct revenue which is paid from the DFC bank account to DRFC:

The £32.5K rent we’re paying them will have the loan repayment the took out to build the changing room offset against it - again no clue how much that is. There’s also ongoing game to game maintenance of the pitch.

The extra £27.5k which makes up the £60K is from:

• Car parking of which I expect there is little overhead as they’re not currently having to maintain it.
• Advertising boards where revenue will be pure profit for them; and
• Matchday catering for hospitality/players/volunteers/officials for which there will be a cost associated with buying the stock.

The indirect costs which are pretty much all wet (of which we get 10% of revenue not profit, so for instance 35p per pint rather than say 18p if it was profit so it’s more like 20%) and dry sales of which they will need to buy stock specifically to generate this revenue. If we’re saying that’s accounting for £80K a season then they’re probably paying £40k - maybe a bit more depending on wastage. I gather most of the staff at BM working for DRFC are volunteers but that should still be seen as an overhead.

Rough guesstimate would be profit wise they’re maybe making £60/70K per year from us being there. There would be no business sense to having us there if they weren’t making money from us.

Ultimately if you don’t own your own ground you have to expect to pay some sort of amount in order to have a facility you can use. I think the thing that sticks in most people’s throat isn’t the fact they’re making money from us being there but that we aren’t made more welcome and the experience is generally poor as it’s being run by amateurs.

I think if you benchmarked our deal against similar clubs who didn’t own their own ground and rented a facility there probably wouldn’t be a huge difference. It will be interesting to see if we can broker a better commercial deal at the SV where again we’d only be involved because we could generate revenue for the project.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:55 am

When you break it all down like that it’s not such a bad deal except the 20% they get for advertising boards. Until we get our own ground it will always be the same and I can’t see that ever happening under the current ownership model it’s just to expensive.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:36 am

In the entire history of DFC, the only period it owned its own ground was at the Arena (until George Houghton split the asset). So owning your own ground isn't always a success. As Mowden Park have also found out - otherwise the SV wouldn't be on the horizon.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:46 am

SV will go ahead whether we are there or not, reading through the Netcafe I get the sense we will stay at BM and with crowds around 1200 there’s little point on any redevelopment.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:54 am

If the board won't tell me how long TW's contract is, especially when I & the entire world know how long Man Utd are giving Solly, I am not telling them if I am renewing my season ticket or not.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:19 am

jjljks wrote:If the board won't tell me how long TW's contract is, especially when I & the entire world know how long Man Utd are giving Solly, I am not telling them if I am renewing my season ticket or not.
I guess they’ll know on 7th April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:24 am

I agree that it would be poor treatment of a manager to discuss his future on a netcafe. People still seem to be unable to understand why some things are commercially sensitive to people who own shares. Look at stock market listed companies - anyone can own a share in them, but they don't have to disclose specific salaries of employees, details of contracts. Some things are commercially sensitive and need to stay under wraps.

I got the sense that the board know the fans' frustrations, but don't want to tell tw he's out with six games of a relegation battle to run.

I've said for some time I don't think tw is the man for the job, and that being a nice guy doesn't mean you're a good football manager. But being a good person certainly does entitle you to a degree of decency.

Overall I thought the netcafe was a good representation of where we are, the board is to be commended for all the work being done. Now let's get through to the end of the season then take stock.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:35 am

Like it or not the pertinent point needs to be taken on board:

"I think if you benchmarked our deal against similar clubs who didn’t own their own ground and rented a facility there probably wouldn’t be a huge difference. It will be interesting to see if we can broker a better commercial deal at the SV where again we’d only be involved because we could generate revenue for the project."

If we pay pretty much what is the going rate in this kind of situation, then we just have to accept it and get on with it and not be seething with a sense of injustice believing we pay way over the odds compared to everyone else. That won't do anyone any good and neither will a finger-pointing exercise.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:54 am

The net café produced some interesting answers.

Interesting that DRFC get 20% from advertising boards. Makes Craig Morley's job harder to cover his salary as he is only bringing in 80% of board sales. Presumably DFC get 20% of sales by DRFC, although this was not mentioned.

DFC getting 10% of bar sales ( not profit)suprised me as profit on bar sales is probably not great. I was a little surprised DFC don't also get 20% on refreshment sales in ground.

The big things that stood out for me were,
1. The refusal to state length of contract for manager. This is normally provided, eg Man U given OGS a 3 year contract this week. Someone earlier suggested refusal was because board had given him an extension already.
On the flip side, it is unrealistic to expect details of remuneration of individuals, players or manager.

2. A lot of blame for budget issues was blamed on poor attendances. The Turnstile League suggests that attendances are only down by 1.85% (27 people per game). If that figure is correct, it doesn't accord with the sale of players and seemingly large cuts in playing budget during the season...unless someone got the budgets seriously wrong at start of season.

I wonder if calculating 5he budget they (over) optimistically included the legacy & the car deal as income before they got it. That could explain the shortfall, depending on size of legacy, which will be received at some time in future, so will be a nice boost then.

As a Chartered accountant, I can't help but look at the figures.

I note no one asked (or had questions answered) about the 2 new signings, is how did these players come to attention of club and more significantly, how can 2 overseas based players survive in NE on part time wages with seemingly no other connections, eg job, study or family to support them