Jack Vaulks

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Jack Vaulks

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:52 pm

Is that right he’s signed for Shildon?

Vodka_Vic

Re: Jack Vaulks

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:04 pm

Yes. In the Echo now.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:38 pm

Permanent move.... Shildon manager Daniel Moore told his club’s website: “Jack is another young hungry prospect to join the club. He has a desire to progress up the pyramid and as a club that is our aim so it is a great fit. For a young age to have played the amount of games he has, in leagues above the Northern League, is brilliant and I believe he will be a great signing for us in our push for promotion next season.”

Clearly not rated by us at this level and it looks like there is planning going on with an eye on next season.

Bank Top
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by Bank Top » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:47 pm

Overlooked by Wright (insert your own comment) as he obviously knows better 😂

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:51 pm

Well he has landed 3 levels below us.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:02 pm

It is a real shame that it hasn't worked out as he was being tipped for good things at one stage. I remember him playing in the final game of last season in front of more than 6,000 fans at Stockport and he didn't look out of place. We haven't seen him since.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:12 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:51 pm
Well he has landed 3 levels below us.
Didn't lewis wing do similar?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:13 pm

LoidLucan wrote:It is a real shame that it hasn't worked out as he was being tipped for good things at one stage. I remember him playing in the final game of last season in front of more than 6,000 fans at Stockport and he didn't look out of place. We haven't seen him since.
Looks very much like Tommy did not rate him when you consider Ainge and Hughes have filled in at CB and Burn is out of favour.Would certainly have liked to see a few more games from the lad so a big shame really and a local lad as well.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:37 pm

Sorry to see Vaulks go, I think he'll go onto prove himself and I'm sure we'll regret letting him go. Good luck Jack and I hope you go onto show what we missed out on.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:21 am

I don't get this huge wank fest over Vaulks?

He evidently hadn't done enough to justify his position in the team and was subsequently sent out on loan and then sold to a team 3 leagues below...

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:51 am

Normally you would find out if a player is good enough to be in the team by putting him in the team. Do you reckon Vaulks thinks he was given a fair crack of the whip to stake his claim given that his appearance tally this season was 0? That's not a "wank fest", just a legitimate question over a player who was on the books but might as well not have been.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:52 am

I don’t get it when people are deliberately provocative on here and then take offense when they get called out.

Can we not just have a civil debate on here for a change ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bank Top
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by Bank Top » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:53 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:51 am
Normally you would find out if a player is good enough to be in the team by putting him in the team. Do you reckon Vaulks thinks he was given a fair crack of the whip to stake his claim given that his appearance tally was 0? That's not a "wank fest", just a legitimate question over a player who was on the books but might as well not have been.
Spot on

bga

Post by bga » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:51 am

Bank Top wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:53 am
LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:51 am
Normally you would find out if a player is good enough to be in the team by putting him in the team. Do you reckon Vaulks thinks he was given a fair crack of the whip to stake his claim given that his appearance tally was 0? That's not a "wank fest", just a legitimate question over a player who was on the books but might as well not have been.
Spot on
many would agree he didn't seem to be given a fair chance by TW. The couple of times I saw him play (maybe the only times he played for us!) he looked competent. Good luck Jack.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:05 am

LoidLucan wrote:Normally you would find out if a player is good enough to be in the team by putting him in the team. Do you reckon Vaulks thinks he was given a fair crack of the whip to stake his claim given that his appearance tally this season was 0? That's not a "wank fest", just a legitimate question over a player who was on the books but might as well not have been.
These are all really valid points.

Also, anyone saying "Clearly he didn't do enough in training" are assuming Wright's judgement of him is flawless. As anyone who's followed us this season will know, Wright is far from that.

Vaulks may disappear from the radar, or he could end up having a stellar career. No way of knowing. Personally I'd like to have seen more of him, based on his performances when he did actually start looking decent.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:14 am

Totally agree with Gramps and Lucan here, plus he is a local lad as well.With Tommy's record of signing young lads, would of expected Jack to have been given a fairer crack of the whip than this.Could be a question for Tommy on Friday.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:28 am

Sorry to see the lad go, but hope he gets chance to further his career & if he does, that there is a sell-on clause in his transfer!

50 years

Post by 50 years » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:45 am

Every time I saw Vaulx play I was quite impressed, even the last time in Durham cup against Esh Winning, thought he had some ability and bit of speed so assume it is something that is happening in training etc that either TW or AW did not like, (attitude?). May be that Vaulx contacted MG and said give me a chance (was doing ok at Pickering I understand).
So clearly some wage saving but hope there is a sell on clause just in case the lad does make it.
Good luck to him.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:41 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:05 am
LoidLucan wrote:Normally you would find out if a player is good enough to be in the team by putting him in the team. Do you reckon Vaulks thinks he was given a fair crack of the whip to stake his claim given that his appearance tally this season was 0? That's not a "wank fest", just a legitimate question over a player who was on the books but might as well not have been.
These are all really valid points.

Also, anyone saying "Clearly he didn't do enough in training" are assuming Wright's judgement of him is flawless. As anyone who's followed us this season will know, Wright is far from that.

Vaulks may disappear from the radar, or he could end up having a stellar career. No way of knowing. Personally I'd like to have seen more of him, based on his performances when he did actually start looking decent.
You can argue that this is fair. However, you could say that Tommy and Alan who have been in the game for let's say 40 years + combined who have seen the lad train twice a week for awhile now have a better idea than a football fans who post on a messageboard.

Personally, I didn't think much of him in the first couple of appearances, but thought he'd filled out a bit and he played very well in a game with Heaton (although this could have been a friendly). What I'd heard is that he didn't cut it in training and IMO your performance in training should have an impact on who's selected. Every CB that we currently have is better (including Burn) so to me it's a waste of a wage.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:59 pm

To be fair, I see where you're coming from with a lot of your post.

However I've never really bought into the "Between them they've had 40 years+ so they're good judges" argument. Too simplistic. If that was the case, every club would choose really experienced managers. There's more to it than that obviously. But this is separate to the Vaulks discussion.

The vast majority of Darlington fans will have some doubts about TW's managerial judgement to some degree, some more than others. So why should we assume he's got it spot on with this? TW may well be correct and Vaulks won't ever cut it. But if it was coming from a better manager than TW, I'd give it more credence.

You're right, none of us will have seen Vaulks in training so you're going off second hand info. That means you need to trust the judgement of Wright, and as explained, I don't. But if people choose to back has judgement, then fair enough, but they need to accept they're doing so on second hand info.

However, given he barely played, I find it hard to conclude every centre half is better than him. Unfair to be passing that judgement on him when you admit yourself you've barely seen him play.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:05 pm

Yes I get your point. I'm no big fan of a lot of TWs decisions/tactics etc but I don't think letting Vaulks go should be used as another excuse to have a go at him.

I'll defend him when I think he's got it right although I agree there are plenty of times he's got it wrong.

So I understand you not trusting his decisions.

I remember watching Tommy Taylor as darlo's manager and I never understood any of the decisions he used to make and I had little trust in him

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:49 pm

None Wright's let go so far have ended up higher or same level have they? Gray let Wing and Edwards go, and they ended up well up the ladder, so it's not the preserve of crap managers only to get judgements wrong. And at the moment, has Wright made a misjudgement on anyone?

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:29 pm

I seem to recall better managers than Tommy letting go of players who went on to better things .......

Pogba
De Bruyne
Sala
Lukaku

Immediately spring to mind.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:03 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:None Wright's let go so far have ended up higher or same level have they? Gray let Wing and Edwards go, and they ended up well up the ladder, so it's not the preserve of crap managers only to get judgements wrong. And at the moment, has Wright made a misjudgement on anyone?
Trying to rack my brains and think of young players Wright has let go up until Vaulks. Don't think there are many, if any at all? By this I mean young players who weren't established and he's taken a risk on. Someone like Trotman for example was already established so if we're talking about Wright taking a risk to develop players like Vaulks, well I don't recall it happening in the last 18 months.

So if he hasn't actually brought any into the team, you can't actually claim he's made no misjudgements with them, not if there's to misjudge. You could say Saunders I guess but he was already on the radar - indeed Gray gave him his debut.

As for Edwards and Wing, Edwards got a good run but MG supposedly had to take him out of the team because he struggled with supporter criticism/abuse.

And Wing was incredibly young and, given Gray's remit at the time was promotion, we probably weren't the best club for his development.

I think given the manner of Gray's departure, and how the fanbase generally dislikes him, it suits some people's agenda to say he was poor at developing younger players. But that wasn't his priority, and none of us had a big outcry when either left at the time.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:18 pm

Wright has given Sanny Lingthep his first taste of senior football. He also made Harry Stansfield captain for the Durham Cup game which was full of first teamers. He has quite often put academy lads on the bench even when there have been more senior players available, as well as giving two youngsters a run out at Stockport last season too.
I think its fair to say he gives youth more of a chance than Gray did, although the "promotion at all costs" attitude is no longer forcing the managers hand, something that probably stopped Gray giving more young lads a chance.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:43 pm

loan_star wrote:Wright has given Sanny Lingthep his first taste of senior football. He also made Harry Stansfield captain for the Durham Cup game which was full of first teamers. He has quite often put academy lads on the bench even when there have been more senior players available, as well as giving two youngsters a run out at Stockport last season too.
I think its fair to say he gives youth more of a chance than Gray did, although the "promotion at all costs" attitude is no longer forcing the managers hand, something that probably stopped Gray giving more young lads a chance.
He hasn't give Glover a senior start since, he raved about him when signing him on ,so surely he has to play him sometime

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:38 pm

I think the ambition with glover is that he bulks up like Saunders did this summer, then starts to challenge for a place.