Darlington V Chester

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

spen666
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Chester

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:50 am

JE93 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:31 am
H1987 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:52 pm
I can't see any reason to carry on this experiment. To me, he has failed on his own terms, two seasons in a row. He inherited a decent squad - ok understandably he wanted to put his own mark on it, but for most, he made it worse. He's made flop big signings (Ainge & Hughes), squandered a decent budget... Sorry Tommy. Nice bloke, but i don't want him in charge next year.

A couple of points

1) Kneeshaw needs signing up for next year
2) That shite painted all over the field was amateurish and inexcusable. There's no need for it to be there.
A mostly good post. But is there really any need for the final part. They held a charity women's rugby match based at boosting participation in rugby at all levels and raising money for the wooden spoon children's charity. The stuff painted onto the pitch takes a little time to wash away, as anyone who will have seen the Wembley pitch post NFL will atest to. It's hardly amateurish as you'd likely do more damage to the turf trying to get rid of it than just letting it wash away.

I know it doesn't suit the agenda, but sometimes can we not just step back and look at the bigger picture. The rugby club have held a successful childrens charity event
We should congratualte them on it. Support them in it and hopefully look to build relationships whereby we can have our own in the future.

Whilst H1987 you may not like the markings on the pitch, its worth remembering whose pitch it is. The football club merely hire the facilities on football match days.
Also, the relationship between the Rugby club and the football club is not helped by this sort of attitude. I am quite sure there are people connected with the rugby club who read this forum, The Tin Shed etc. Seeing comments like this will not encourage them to be more welcoming to the football club and its needs/ wishes.

Its a bit like being invited into a neighbours house and then sitting there telling them their decor and furnishings are shite and look cheap. Its unlikely to endear you to the neighbour.

Snipping at the landlord is not going to improve relations between the two parties

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:57 am

The last I checked, we paid to renovate the pitch, and the last I checked, it's the money from the football club that keeps the rugby club going. I'm all for co-operation and better relations, but there's a point where lines should be drawn (and i don't mean literal lines like the ones all over the pitch for no good reason). The pitch should be left for the other side in an acceptable condition.

I think it's great they held a charitable event, by the way, but how were the doodles all over the pitch relevant to this? They're not pitch markings. It seemed to be a design of a girl carrying a rugby ball and a bunch of other random lines. I dare say the Rugby club would be somewhat unimpressed if we were to paint on a bunch of extra badges and footballs over the pitch area for one of our games. It's not a major issue, but it does look amateurish.

I didn't think we were bad at all Wednesday night, but the lack of a real game plan is killing us.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:17 am

H1987 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:57 am
The last I checked, we paid to renovate the pitch, and the last I checked, it's the money from the football club that keeps the rugby club going. I'm all for co-operation and better relations, but there's a point where lines should be drawn (and i don't mean literal lines like the ones all over the pitch for no good reason). The pitch should be left for the other side in an acceptable condition.

The fact the game v Chester was able to go ahead shows the pitch was in an acceptable condition.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:21 am

I agree I didn't think we were terrible on Wednesday like a lot of posters have suggested. Chester were a decent team, but they didn't cause us many problems, it's hard to remember when our keeper was troubled and with a bit of luck we should of scored.

Had the pleasure of meeting Jake Turner's dad and granddad in the bar before the game and had a lengthy chat with them. They've been to all Jake's games since he joined us on loan and he's happy to be with us, as he wasn't getting any competitive football as third choice keeper at Bolton. His contract ends at the end of the season and they are hopeful he will get a new contract. I didn't mention my intense dislike of Bolton!!!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:41 am

Bear in mind that Chester had won just three away games all season before Wednesday. They were no great shakes but yet again we conceded a sloppy goal and huffed and puffed to make any headway. How many more times are we going to say: "We should have got something out of that game, we were unlucky, the ball didn't fall for us."

The context of the game is that we have now won just 9 of 38 league and cup games this season and have plenty of times capitulated in games we should have won, even when against 10 men. Sometimes we have just been dreadful or played for a half a game. Over a long, extended period TW's managership has been largely terrible and the fans have voted with their feet after losing faith in him. Wednesday wasn't in isolation, it's part of an awful season in which TW has been found wanting in terms of his recruitment, organisation and leadership. It's happened elsewhere with him and now it's happened here. We now know what is likely to lie ahead if he carries on as manager beyond this season.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:46 pm

H1987 wrote:

I think it's great they held a charitable event, by the way, but how were the doodles all over the pitch relevant to this? They're not pitch markings. It seemed to be a design of a girl carrying a rugby ball and a bunch of other random lines. I dare say the Rugby club would be somewhat unimpressed if we were to paint on a bunch of extra badges and footballs over the pitch area for one of our games. It's not a major issue, but it does look amateurish.

I didn't think we were bad at all Wednesday night, but the lack of a real game plan is killing us.
Wow, this is what you get irate about? We paid to renovate the pitch because it suited us to do so - the rugby club had no need to touch the pitch. The sense of entitlement some of our fans still harbour is beyond me at times. As for looking amateurish, well that's what they (and we) are.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:00 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:46 pm
H1987 wrote:

Wow, this is what you get irate about? We paid to renovate the pitch because it suited us to do so - the rugby club had no need to touch the pitch. The sense of entitlement some of our fans still harbour is beyond me at times. As for looking amateurish, well that's what they (and we) are.
I'm also sure that whilst we paid for the pitch work, the rugby club are still paying for the future maintenance.