Darlington V Chester

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Chester

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:13 am

JE93 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:12 am
The thing that concerns me most is the level of apathy as TW remains in charge. It genuinely reminds me of our league 2 relegation season. We turn up. A win is a bonus but I expect nothing. I barely feel a link to any of the players barring 4 or 5. The sooner the season is over the better.
My thoughts too. I'm getting fed up with it all, we just don't seem to be run right - and are drifting downwards like a Singh led division 2 side :thumbdown: All the constant player ins and outs have done my head in - how can you build a team like this? Answer ........ you can't.

Chester's free kick routine worked a treat - I think some of their players have gone to drama school.

1) Tee up the ball
2) Send out a runner and pretend something's happening
3) Pretend there's been a cock up and look annoyed
4) quickly loop the ball towards the pre planned destination
5) Listen to the Tin Shed fans cheer at their "mistake"
6) Celebrate goal
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:29 am

Even Jim Gannon stated they had totally conned us. Switched off again.

I have extended my 500 club ticket for another season but I will not contribute towards the boost the budget whist Wrighty is in charge. Will always support the club but he is sucking the life out of that at the moment. End of the season can't come quick enough.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:35 am

Whilst there is no doubt that TW needs to go for us to regain any sort of upward trajectory and get fans interested again the comment about player ins and outs that I’ve read in a few places baffles me somewhat.

He kept the exact same squad for a good 4/5 months having to deal with the departure of 1 or 2 due to financial restrictions. In my eyes he was too loyal to some under performers and actually keeping that core of player did nothing to foster any spirit or togetherness.

Actually bringing in the original batch of loan signing gave us a temporary lift with Smith, Palmer and particularly Nelson being instrumental in some better performances.

Since then a couple of players have moved on for personal reasons and with no money to bring anyone in he’s been restricted to signing players for favours for very much minimal, if any outlay - not too dissimilar to when Liddle signed Broughton et all. These 4 lads probably aren’t of the required standard but are all we can bring in.

I don’t think mixing the squad up can be blamed for any sort of downturn, we were crap with a settled squad and we’re still crap with what we have now

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:38 am

Lots of discontent coming out of BM at full time, fans fed up, all these signings and just hoping they come off, no real forward planning, players being played out of position when better options on the bench, signing players and not giving them game time and wasting the club's money.TW has made far too many mistakes sadly as I like the guy but not the man to take us into next season.The club is desperate for a lift and a no brainer that it just has to start with a new man in place as soon as we are safe in this league.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

ScottBoyT

Post by ScottBoyT » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:48 am

Went last night full of hope and optimism, came out with that same damp feeling I've felt far too many times this season. Can't understand for the life of me the substitute situation.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:52 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:38 am
Lots of discontent coming out of BM at full time, fans fed up, all these signings and just hoping they come off, no real forward planning, players being played out of position when better options on the bench, signing players and not giving them game time and wasting the club's money.TW has made far too many mistakes sadly as I like the guy but not the man to take us into next season.The club is desperate for a lift and a no brainer that it just has to start with a new man in place as soon as we are safe in this league.

Whilst I agree with some of what you write, elaborate on which players on the bench were better than what was on the pitch and what has brought this belief.

On the bench was Henshall (derided by many), 2 young lads from Huddersfield with no pedigree in a mans game yet, 1 young new signing none of us have seen and Maddison (who most wanted out of the team).

I still think he should have swapped it but not because I am confident this would have made things better, just rather we tried something.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:55 am

Who are the better options on the bench? Two players who've been slagged off all season, and three no-one have seen play, bar twenty minutes at Nuneaton for one of them. The Huddersfield lad's will be costing nothing. Diva's sums it up for you.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:57 am

quakerste wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:29 am
Even Jim Gannon stated they had totally conned us. Switched off again.

I have extended my 500 club ticket for another season but I will not contribute towards the boost the budget whist Wrighty is in charge. Will always support the club but he is sucking the life out of that at the moment. End of the season can't come quick enough.
Stockport spying on us before Saturday? That is even more of a joke than TW & AD!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:08 am

It's clear now that the overwhelming majority of our fans have completely lost faith and confidence in TW's ability to build, organise, lead and inspire an effective side. To ignore that and keep him on would be hugely damaging to the future of the club. Change has got to come.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:10 am

quakerman wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:50 pm
Exactly what was mentioned in the programme notes?
On the second half against Hereford:
The second half performance was unacceptable, and I made my feelings known when I spoke to Tommy afterwards
Not exactly "I'm going to sack the twat" but I'm encouraged he's vented at Tommy and let us know he's done it.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:15 am

I'm struggling to find the positives in that from last night. We made a very average Chester team look decent.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:21 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:38 am

Whilst I agree with some of what you write, elaborate on which players on the bench were better than what was on the pitch and what has brought this belief.

On the bench was Henshall (derided by many), 2 young lads from Huddersfield with no pedigree in a mans game yet, 1 young new signing none of us have seen and Maddison (who most wanted out of the team).

I still think he should have swapped it but not because I am confident this would have made things better, just rather we tried something.
I was referring to the young LB from Huddersfield who came on at Nuneaton and did well by all accounts, then play Elliott in midfield which is what he is.What is the point in bringing lads in and they just sit on their backsides?

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:36 am

My first game for a few weeks and I thought we certainly matched Chester who are on the fringes of the play off's, and actually dominated the second half without looking really dangerous up front although there keeper pulled a few excellent reaction saves off. Thought we missed Elliott in midfield but Palmer put in a shift for sure and Smith is missed at the back.
Reading the Chester fc match report shows they thought we were the better team I think as well.

Lot of people are feeling low at the moment even some die hard fans I know,(think that includes TW from watching the post match interview), but things still in our hands with 3 teams to play below us yet, just need some excitement (good wins at home), to cheer fans up, but confidence in the team seems low.

I have decided just to enjoy the rest of the season come what may and i am looking forward to a few pints in Stockport before Saturday's game and hopefully a bit of luck going our way, think I will have a bet on us winning 3-1 😀

Up the Quakers

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:40 am

Why would Stockport not spy on us? They are playing us on Saturday and Chester next week.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:49 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:55 am
.... The Huddersfield lad's will be costing nothing. ...

The last Net Cafe answers suggested the loan players signed/ to be signed were on deals where if they played they cost club nothing, but if they didn't play, then Darlington would have to pay something....a sort of "pay not to play deal".

no idea obviously if this is basis of the new loan players, but if so, it seems a strange to have them and not play them

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:50 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:40 am
Why would Stockport not spy on us? They are playing us on Saturday and Chester next week.
Good point - but it's hardly "spying". It's just good practice, and I wonder if we do it?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:51 am

I think we will get a 2-2 draw at Stockport, after racing into a two goal lead, as per BPA away. We’ve never lost there in this division, they will be flat after realising that they’ll not catch Chorley and will be edgy about another playoff failure. Anyway I’m going cold turkey now so am going to need another hit

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:31 am

More than anything, what should do for TW is the attendances. They've dwindled to around 1200, even for Saturday games.

Getting people through the door is essential for us financially. Apathy could absolutely lethal for us and it's what we have now.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:35 am

We're currently averaging 1362 for the season so far, and that's with horrendous away followings.
Our highest crowd was 2286 vs York and the lowest crowd was 915 vs Brackley.

We're currently averaging just over 324 fans for what we take away :clap:

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:37 am

that average is plummeting ............ its a real worry like DarloGramps mentions

bga

Post by bga » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:48 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:50 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Good point - but it's hardly "spying". It's just good practice, and I wonder if we do it?
I was being sarcastic in my original comment! Jim has probably gone back to Stockport and decided to give the players a day off today, after what he saw last night.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:57 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:08 am
It's clear now that the overwhelming majority of our fans have completely lost faith and confidence in TW's ability to build, organise, lead and inspire an effective side. To ignore that and keep him on would be hugely damaging to the future of the club. Change has got to come.
DJ appointed TW&AW only an idiot, (and I don't think DJ is one) would have agreed anything other than a deal till the end of this season. However, I doubt he will say anything public at the Netcafe (I have asked the question) about a new contract or a replacement.

jjlewis1k89

Post by jjlewis1k89 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:17 am

It would be nice to know how long is left on his contract but I doubt they would release that information, maybe if they know it’s up in the summer there gambling on us staying up then they can release him on a free as a posed to sacking him and having to pay him off, I’m hoping that’s the case as he’s sucking the life out the club and installing a culture of apathy and malaise, club needs a strong leader to take charge to reignite the passion on and of the pitch, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:22 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:50 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Yes as far as I know we do have some sort of scouting system in place, it might involve talking to other managers about teams and the way we play.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:50 am

Another game last night which was low on entertainment and quality. Plenty of possession but we never really looked threatening. Quite why Wright didn't try something to change things I've no idea. We're very likely to be only 6 points clear of FCUM going into our game with them - we're far from safe from relegation.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:07 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:50 am
Another game last night which was low on entertainment and quality. Plenty of possession but we never really looked threatening. Quite why Wright didn't try something to change things I've no idea. We're very likely to be only 6 points clear of FCUM going into our game with them - we're far from safe from relegation.
Suggest you listen to "Ron Manager's" post match interview...Proud of the Lads ………..we were the better Team...…...Didn't think he needed to change anything we were a threat...……...Tempted to use the Bench as we had a good Bench...…...…

WHEN WILL THIS NIGHTMERE END?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:32 pm

I've no way of knowing this for sure, but maybe DJ has given the management team some new players and a chance to get some form before the end of the season, otherwise contracts will not be renewed. Sounds like DJ is running out of patience given the programme notes.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:35 pm

Have to agree with Gramps, the dwindling crowds are the biggest concern.

Other concerns are TW's abilities to manage and motivate and I can't see any evidence that it's working.

DJ is never going to answer the 'length of contract' question at the netcafe

I'm very much in the opinion that if TW's contract is up, then we need to go our separate ways and we can start again (hopefully with some of the crowd prepared to give us another chance with some fresh optimism.

I can't believe that the board can honestly sit and think that TW is the man for the job. There's not much in his favour at the minute.

Pains me to say it, but MG wouldn't accept such a weak undrilled side. Having said that, we were arguably the better team in the second half, with plenty of pressure but without any killer instinct.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:39 pm

Crowds are always going to dwindle when we crash out of the cup competitions at the first hurdle every year, we have nothing to play for in the last few months of the season, the football is annoyingly poor (characterised by lack of organisation) and crucially, the home form is a complete horror show.

I've been saying for a while we need to assess TW's position in the summer, and right now, my answer would not be positive. My biggest issues are the lack of organisation, lack of a clear system, and the general sense that his answer to any problem is just throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks. It'll probably keep us in this league (in the lower reaches), but it will not help us ever push for the playoffs. I don't get the sense he is capable of it.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:49 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:35 pm

I can't believe that the board can honestly sit and think that TW is the man for the job. There's not much in his favour at the minute.

his work at and involvement in setting up the Academy perhaps?