Spenny Bottle

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Beano
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Spenny Bottle

Post by Beano » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:10 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:52 am
Brad clearly has deep pockets and I think he's ultimately now dreaming of the league. I don't think that was his plan a few years back, I think he just wanted to get them probably about this far and then maybe that's it. But maybe he has looked at clubs like Fleetwood and thought if they can do it, why can't I? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't their stadium plan get them up to 5,000 with 1,000+ seats? Ie good enough for the league?

I think that for a while we're just going to have to get used to the fact that Spendy have passed us, that South Shields are going to pass us, and just somehow try and accept that reality until we can organically grow to the next level. I mean it was bad enough being permanently left behind Hartlepool during their IOR years, but now we're talking about potentially being the 5th best non league team in the North East, behind Pools, Gateshead, Spendy and Shields. We need to try and accept that reality, without bitterness or without demanding that "the club" should bring in an "investor" cos it's just not fair that we can't play too. Easier said than done, I know.

Imagine though if we do eventually get the club on a solid enough footing that we can get to the next level, and also get the ground (whether it be BM or SV) to the next level - I think that will be more satisfying that doing it the quick way with a chequebook charlie. The hard part is that this may take many years, but hey, I can wait. There will be a few sh1t sandwiches that we have to eat between now and then though.
A very reasoned and pragmatic post which I wholeheartedly agree with.

It’ll be a long and slow slog but it’ll be worth it in 20 years time when our kids potentially have a sustainable club to support.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:12 pm

Breedon wrote:I'd rather they went up to be honest. The less bankrolled village teams in the league the better in the short term future. They'll all go too far and nature will take its course eventually.
People said that about Salford and Harrogate last season but they will just keep on coming. Next season it will be South Shields and so on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:55 pm

Big win for them v Brackley, but still a difficult run in then the play-offs.........