Tommy Wright

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Would you like to see him in charge of the team next season?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 80

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:58 pm

To be fair "quakersfan" is right, Jo was part of the interview team and was interim Chair of DFCSG at the time.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:31 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:To be fair "quakersfan" is right, Jo was part of the interview team and was interim Chair of DFCSG at the time.
Thank you Super Les, and I’m sure next time if Tommy goes it will be DJ, Chris Storkdale and Woolnough doing the interviews. God what a mess we are in.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:08 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:To be fair "quakersfan" is right, Jo was part of the interview team and was interim Chair of DFCSG at the time.
Yep. That is correct. Jo was interim chair so fair point.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:16 am

Tide of opinion seems to have turned against TW since the Hereford game. Looks like the last straw to give away such a strong position in a crucial relegation battle. Our new strip should be white like the flag waved in the 2nd half.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:32 am

jjljks wrote:Tide of opinion seems to have turned against TW since the Hereford game. Looks like the last straw to give away such a strong position in a crucial relegation battle. Our new strip should be white like the flag waved in the 2nd half.
I am obviously in a minority of one, as I thought it was a very entertaining game in which we played well in periods. Could and should have equalized when 3-2 down.
In the end it was very disappointing, but there have been many much worse games this season.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:54 am

jjljks wrote:Tide of opinion seems to have turned against TW since the Hereford game. Looks like the last straw to give away such a strong position in a crucial relegation battle. Our new strip should be white like the flag waved in the 2nd half.
Listening to that on DFR in the 2nd half was painful, as soon as they scored you just knew what was coming.We know MG has had a lot of stick on here but no way would any of his team's repeatedly throw away 2 goal leads All successful teams are built from the back but we seem to have it the wrong way round.That result on Saturday was the final straw for me, nothing will change my mind and Tommy blaming everyone but himself is pretty desperate.Has to go at the end of the season sad to say, the wave of opinion against him is too strong.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:24 am

Come on darlo fans wherever you are we have got to pull together for the sake of our club, we all want the best for our club playing at the highest level that we can achieve within our budget, some of the fans don't or won't recognise the struggle that we are going through with out a bigger benefactor helping out, I don't want us to be an also ran club but we are financially where we are, it's going to take time which some don't want to give. That causes friction which causes bigger problems. Let's stick with it and ride it out, after all we are Darlington football club.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:16 am

It’s tricky re Tommy’s long term future. If the fans own the club and the majority of fans are not happy with him, then how can he continue?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:42 am

onewayup wrote:Come on darlo fans wherever you are we have got to pull together for the sake of our club, we all want the best for our club playing at the highest level that we can achieve within our budget, some of the fans don't or won't recognise the struggle that we are going through with out a bigger benefactor helping out, I don't want us to be an also ran club but we are financially where we are, it's going to take time which some don't want to give. That causes friction which causes bigger problems. Let's stick with it and ride it out, after all we are Darlington football club.
Amen to that. It is certainly very hard to remain positive about a season that began with so much promise and with so much promised, and I was as disillusioned as many who have posted on this and the match thread over what happened on Saturday. And it has become something of a signature for this season that we have failed to win games that should and could have been put to bed. Our league record shows how we have depressingly failed to convert our chances into wins. At this point last year we had the benefit of the positivity injected by the signing of Styche to see us climb away from the drop zone. This year there has been a hope that the collective talents of Thommo, Harvey and Nicholson would fill that gap, but whilst it has worked for the odd game it has never been consistent in its supply of goals. Given the position we find ourselves in the make or break of whether we stay up or not will be over finding enough goals to win the two or three games that will get us there. We are badly in need of a hero.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:22 am

en passant wrote:We are badly in need of a hero.

He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight !
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Given the poor level of fitness in the team - one of the main problems in my view - maybe Wright and White could be heroic and roll back the years. They were likely lads in their day, if their registrations are still valid it might work and if they flag a bit after half-time Tommy can work his tactical magic. It could be worse, couldn't it? Trying to be funny about this is the only way to cope with it and deep down I feel some sympathy for old Tommy, it'll be hard for him when he does leave.
It also strikes me that we're reflecting the bigger picture; a manager who loses the points but asks for more time to get his supporters behind him with time running out. Tommy certainly has similar problems to Theresa May in organising back stops. Each match has become like the next vote in Parliament when it just keeps coming back covered in brown stuff. I still think we have a better chance of staying up than the UK does but with FCU kicking up like Anna Soubry it might be close. Do you think she could turn her talents to football management? An easy on the eye Martin Gray with basic social skills.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:54 pm

We all want what`s best for Darlo that`s why we need a change of manager next year someone who can organise them with a bit of grit and determination

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Wiseacre wrote:Given the poor level of fitness in the team - one of the main problems in my view - maybe Wright and White could be heroic and roll back the years. They were likely lads in their day, if their registrations are still valid it might work and if they flag a bit after half-time Tommy can work his tactical magic. It could be worse, couldn't it? Trying to be funny about this is the only way to cope with it and deep down I feel some sympathy for old Tommy, it'll be hard for him when he does leave.
It also strikes me that we're reflecting the bigger picture; a manager who loses the points but asks for more time to get his supporters behind him with time running out. Tommy certainly has similar problems to Theresa May in organising back stops. Each match has become like the next vote in Parliament when it just keeps coming back covered in brown stuff. I still think we have a better chance of staying up than the UK does but with FCU kicking up like Anna Soubry it might be close. Do you think she could turn her talents to football management? An easy on the eye Martin Gray with basic social skills.
Ha ha good point that woman’s a idiot and is just disagreeing with everything teresa may says as she has a petty playground type vendetta against her. I think she is a football fan too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Wiseacre

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:10 pm

I think Anna S may be a Notts County fan and if you think our lot have had a bad season come to Meadow Lane and it might not seem so bad at the Meadows. They're already talking about having to come in at National League North level because of off the field capers and likely punishment.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:39 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:To be fair, unless things got so hideously toxic that it was unbearable, I don't see Wright leaving before the end of the season. And given only eight days ago we performed really well and should have beaten the league leaders, I can't say we're at that point. Of course none of us know what's actually going in the dressing room, but I don't get the impression there's been a total breakdown between players and manager.

Therefore, because we've only got seven weeks left of the season, I don't see a managerial change happening now.

If he can survive the Nuneaton debacle, where we'd lost to the bottom club and only a week earlier he admitted to allowing players to skive training, he'll survive this.

To me, the question is more whether he's judged to be the right person for next season. Before that though, we need to ensure survival.
Good post.
Vodka_Vic wrote:The board are very aware. Read the paragraph 'Where do you see the club being in two years?' That's where we are now.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... -the-club/
The loss to Nuneaton at home was the final straw for me and perhaps after Nuneaton away the tide might be too strong for the board to ignore. However TW is not prepared to change for no one and even if we do end potentially relying on our last game to stay up I believe TW would prefer to take us down than change tactics. He has to go and let someone rebuild in the summer.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:45 pm

In music, re Bass Amps and guitar Amps there is a term called ‘Headroom’ and this refers to the amount of extra space in volume and power that you have over what you would normally use.

Taking this analogy further it’s like T.W. (in my opinion) has been playing too many gigs with his Amp on 10, with no headroom to spare, and now the speaker screws are squeaking and there’s smoke coming out of the back of the Amp.

I'm pleased that the discussion on here has so far been reasonable, with some good points raised, however my view is it's unfair to pin all this present situation on to just one person, there's also a few other factors in play going on.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:53 pm

Wiseacre wrote:I think Anna S may be a Notts County fan and if you think our lot have had a bad season come to Meadow Lane and it might not seem so bad at the Meadows. They're already talking about having to come in at National League North level because of off the field capers and likely punishment.
Must be bad. The national premier accepted the likes of hartlepool and leyton orient who were in a bad state at the time
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:13 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Wiseacre wrote:I think Anna S may be a Notts County fan and if you think our lot have had a bad season come to Meadow Lane and it might not seem so bad at the Meadows. They're already talking about having to come in at National League North level because of off the field capers and likely punishment.
Must be bad. The national premier accepted the likes of hartlepool and leyton orient who were in a bad state at the time

By the time the National League AGM came around, Orient had changed hands I do believe ( the current owners had purchased the club), so the financial issues surrounding the former owner had ceased to exist.

I am not sure what the position was regarding Hartlepool. I think the National League have rarely refused to accept a relegated club...Boston being the example that comes to mind...not sure of other clubs..Hereford? Chester?

Wiseacre

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:04 pm

Even Anna Soubry would think twice before making Wrights shameful comments about his team in the Echo. Nothing to do with him see and what does an old bruiser like him know about 'Tippy Tappy' football. In fact what does he know about football apart from treating each match as some sort of Groundhog Day?

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:13 pm

spen666 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:

By the time the National League AGM came around, Orient had changed hands I do believe ( the current owners had purchased the club), so the financial issues surrounding the former owner had ceased to exist.

I am not sure what the position was regarding Hartlepool. I think the National League have rarely refused to accept a relegated club...Boston being the example that comes to mind...not sure of other clubs..Hereford? Chester?
Remember boston who got send straight to evostick premier and as far as im aware they were not a phoenix club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:25 pm

Wasn’t Boston more to do with some irregularities when they actually got promoted from the Conference as it was then? Or creditors in that division they owed perhaps.

I was quite young at the time mind so may have completely got the wrong end of the stick with it.